I tried to activate my Q10 today and it wouldn't work. I worked online with a support rep. He said there was an problem activating the phone "device not compatible with sim card". I went to the Verizon store and he said that Verizon has dropped support for the Q10. He showed me on his tablet. I asked if they sent out a notification and he said they just shut off support.

Anyone else have a Q10 on Verizon that's working? I got a new SIM card and testing it now. The cat representative received the following message when attempting to activate. "I'm getting a message that the device is no longer supported and sim card is not compatible error."

An online chat rep gave me this explanation.

"The reason why we are retiring CDMA network is because our LTE network offers superior coverage, performance and lower costs compared to previous generation networks."
    Last edited by Gray; 07-11-18 at 05:54 PM.
    07-11-18 05:15 PM
    That's weird, I have a Q10 that works perfectly fine here in Canada. Obviously that's not verizon though.

It is strange how a company would specifically discontinue support on a device that has no reason to be discontinued. It's still a perfectly good device that holds a SIM card. That's odd indeed because it seems like it would literally take more effort for a company to discontinue a device than to just leave it alone until it's incompatible with 5G and becomes obsolete all by itself.

There's nothing wrong with the Q10 as a simple data telephone with a bunch of cool features, so, again - that's odd. I could theoretically use my Q10 right now and just carry my Surface for all things I can't do on that telephone (which isn't much come to think of it).
    BerryRipe likes this.
    07-11-18 05:41 PM
    Could be the migration from CDMA starting with oldest unused devices. Perhaps the issue was activating old device rather than if currently active. Seems obvious that Verizon is serious about repurposing of CDMA...
    07-11-18 05:46 PM
    The Q10 supports LTE and requires a SIM. It's not a CDMA-only device. Their explanation makes no sense. I think this is a case of planned obsolescence. They probably figure a few people will upgrade to a newer device and if the rest leave it won't make a huge dent in their numbers.

I'm glad I switched from Verizon to Ting. My Q10 is working fine on their service and I'm saving a ton of money.
    07-11-18 06:00 PM
    Q10 still working on Verizon for me (I hope I didn’t just jinx myself).
    07-11-18 06:36 PM
    Maybe try whatever others have said or security wipe it and install an autoloader after backing up your data. Then restore that data only after you've tested it out.

Sure verizon might not 'suppot' the Q10, but it would cost more, take more effort for them to specifically blacklist one particular handset from their network out of nowhere.
    07-11-18 07:44 PM
    I could see the meeting now where they're like:

"We've noticed about 6 Q10's still operating on our network and we must now take steps to stop this from happening. All in favour say I."

Would be an expensive meeting with executive salaries being paid for the duration of the time spent, then the cost of the engineers to go and block Q10's at all their switches. I'm sure there's a console for that to be made super easy, but still, I'm only joking around.

Oh we can't forget about the costs associated to each executives assistants who are tasked with organizing such meetings. It adds up.
    Last edited by Spunton_Duddley; 07-12-18 at 05:03 PM.
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    07-11-18 07:45 PM
    They also discontinued service for the Z30.
    07-13-18 08:05 PM
    Appears the Verizon is no longer activating devices that aren't 4G+VoLTE certified w/ Verizon.

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-wi...-non-4g-phone/

For several years we've been publicly saying that our 3G CDMA network will remain available through the end of 2019. Virtually all traffic on our network is on our 4G LTE network.

To facilitate a smooth transition to 4G LTE capable products and services, we are no longer allowing devices that are not 4G LTE capable with VoLTE to be activated on our network.
    07-18-18 03:15 PM
    Basically, buy a new phone. There's a couple called KEYone and KEY2; which are probably the best BlackBerry's ever build because they've adopted Android, made it safer, and still provide the same security and software services, but on Android now.

There's nothing wrong with BlackBerry 10, it's amazing actually. However, it's been clear for quite a while that BlackBerry 10 will be taking a back seat and devices from 2013 and 2014 (albeit still good) are simply old now and everything has changed.

That's it, that's all. If you want to use a BlackBerry 10 device, make it a Passport and if you can't do that, then it's simply time to move onto BlackBerry's new arrangements or elsewhere.
    07-20-18 06:55 PM
    Keep in mind, with what I just said, how BlackBerry is teaming up with Punkt. to build a simple smartphone.

That's probably the closest thing you're going to get to a BlackBerry 10 device and it might not even be that. If it is, then wait, and make that your next phone.

BlackBerry is awesome and so is Punkt.

You could go buy a Punkt. MP02 with the data modem and then buy a Surface Go tablet. This way you'll have a proper computer and a proper communications device that will allow that computer to access data.

That Punkt. phone will probably have a qwerty keyboard and might even be that new and simple BlackBerry smartphone many people want.
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    07-20-18 06:59 PM
    My Q10 still works on Verizon. Just reactivated it, too.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-18 07:49 AM
    My Q10 still working on Verizon but wanting to swap Sim cards with my iphone 8 and make Q10 daily driver again for emails and clearer calls. Hope it works; have to go into the verizon store because of the different size sims. What a pain. Vkb's really suck.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-18 01:38 AM
    I still use a Verizon Q10 - I'm typing with it right now, in fact. I make phone calls and text people all the time.

I'm guessing that VZW is no longer offering *new* CDMA-compatible SIM cards, but so far (fingers crossed, no jinx!) they haven't disabled the ones which are still in use.

They certainly should have notified their users in advance, though. I hope they keep us grandfathered in!

I tried to activate my Q10 today and it wouldn't work. I worked online with a support rep. He said there was an problem activating the phone "device not compatible with sim card". I went to the Verizon store and he said that Verizon has dropped support for the Q10. He showed me on his tablet. I asked if they sent out a notification and he said they just shut off support.

Anyone else have a Q10 on Verizon that's working? I got a new SIM card and testing it now. The cat representative received the following message when attempting to activate. "I'm getting a message that the device is no longer supported and sim card is not compatible error."

An online chat rep gave me this explanation.

"The reason why we are retiring CDMA network is because our LTE network offers superior coverage, performance and lower costs compared to previous generation networks."
    Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.3.2.2813
    08-19-18 07:38 PM
    By the way, the Q10 has 4GLTE capability too. They should be able to give you a SIM card that lets your phone use their LTE network, as if it's an unlocked GSM phone, whether or not they officially support the device. At least I think it works that way. Happy to be corrected, though.

08-19-18 07:44 PM
    I used to be able to swap active sims between my BlackBerry and android phones by the power down, swap and power up new devices.

That process doesn't use anything from corp that I know of, unless it's now flagged by their computers. But still it's an active sim so thinking the grandfather process still sticks.

Worse case I moved my VZW Q10 to AT&T, it got 4G but not 4G LTE. Not too big of a deal as BlackBerry doesn't use that much bandwidth anyway.

 Classic SQC100-2 I 10.3.2.2813
    08-20-18 07:51 PM
    I tried switching my Q10 on Verizon to a different #. Verizon wouldn't do it. Based on the IMEI #, tech support said VW is preventing activation of BB10 phones. She saw we had done this as recently as last week.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-18 05:33 AM
    After some trial and error with different tech support folks, I got my Q10 reactivated on Verizon. I was told they are no longer allowing non-VoLTE (HD voice) capable phones to be activated, with the exception of 1 reactivation every 6 months. Who knows how long that exception will last. So don't take your SIM card out! We shall see if they have the temerity to shut folks off who aren't transitioning from one phone to another, etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-18 09:38 AM
    We shall see if they have the temerity to shut folks off who aren't transitioning from one phone to another, etc.
    They did that in 2008. What makes you think they won’t do it again almost 12 years later?

They’re giving folks a year and a half notice. That’s ample time to find a new device.
    08-22-18 10:00 AM
    True. I have a 128 GB iPhone SE coming my way after the motherboard on my 64 GB iPhone SE failed. Just reactivating the old Q10 while I wait. The moratorium on non-VoLTE phones at Verizon reminds me of AT&T's BS prohibitions on consumer and terminal equipment manufactured by others. Monopolization with a flimsy pretext.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-18 04:43 PM
    Wow. I have a new Verizon-branded Classic coming, hoping to activate it and only use my Q10 as a backup. (shhhh don't tell the Q10, she doesn't know yet! )

If I end up not liking the Classic (or if it doesn't work for any reason) I will want to re-activate the Q10. All without changing my plan, or any other fuss on VZW's part.

08-22-18 08:35 PM
    Wow. I have a new Verizon-branded Classic coming, hoping to activate it and only use my Q10 as a backup. (shhhh don't tell the Q10, she doesn't know yet! )

If I end up not liking the Classic (or if it doesn't work for any reason) I will want to re-activate the Q10. All without changing my plan, or any other fuss on VZW's part.

They are different sim sizes unfortunately so you won't be able to simply swap them.
    08-24-18 12:05 PM
    Ugh, the Classic's SIM is smaller or larger? If smaller, then I'm in deep doo-doo.

08-24-18 02:25 PM
    Ugh, the Classic's SIM is smaller or larger? If smaller, then I'm in deep doo-doo.

The Q10 is micro and the Classic is nano. Sorry - the Classic's is smaller.

08-25-18 01:38 PM
    Thanks, Cainamzak. Arrrrgh! *sigh*

The Q10 is micro and the Classic is nano. Sorry - the Classic's is smaller.

08-25-18 07:24 PM
43 12