Hi there,

Just looking for some advice really. A while ago (and I mean a long while ago) I had a blackberry torch with an o2 sim card with blackberry services on it. Now I have a Q10 I am using that same sim.

My question is, I am going on holiday in May and I want to take my phone with me. The thing is I don't want to use my current sim because I have another one which offers a better deal on using it abroad (I can have BB services activated). Can I do this?

The reason why I am asking is because when I took my torch on holiday ages ago and tried to use a different sim, none of my apps worked. I could use the browser and stuff, but I couldn't use email, messaging or anything that needed services. I even phoned up my provider and they said I would have to cancel my contract with them just to use another sim. Maybe things have changed since then? I don't know...

I hope someone can help. I don't want to activate blackberry services on my second sim for nothing.

(And I do apologise if it sounds really stupid asking this, but I can't find anything on google about it).

Thanks.
    04-25-14 09:44 AM
    You can add the extra SIM into your Q10 without any problems. The reason it didn't work on your Torch is because BBOS needed BIS which the other SIM didn't have. You needed BIS for messaging, BBM, apps, etc. Now since BB10 doesn't rely on that, you're good to go!
    anon1727506 likes this.
    04-25-14 09:50 AM
    Yup, everything should work as long as your second SIM is registered for a data plan.

I did run into an issue while traveling to the Caribbean though. The carrier (Digicel) I had my second SIM with offered two data packages... one for BlackBerry and one for anyone else. I figured that since my Z30/Z10 no longer require BIS, I needed the "anyone else" data package. However upon activation I couldn't get any data (just 4g). I went into one of their locations and sure enough, they told me that their BlackBerry data packages apply even to BB10 devices regardless of whether they use BIS or not. Weird, but they were cheaper anyway so I didn't complain.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 09:57 AM
    Could this be another reason why BB10 is not taking off. A lot of people may still think they need a BIS subscription to use a Blackberry. Marketing is about persistently getting the message across.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 02:37 PM
    He needed the bb data plan as he stated he was using his torch.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    04-25-14 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I thought I would just see what would happen if I put my second sim in, turned off WiFi etc and see if it worked and yeah it did. I was always led to believe that if you wanted to have email and such you needed blackberry services. Good thing I don't actually pay for it on my original sim and don't need it for my second (hopefully!!)
    ajst222 likes this.
    04-25-14 03:35 PM