Hey guys, I was wondering, I've read before that the reason why BB didn't use gorilla glass on their devices was because it hindered the ability to wake up the device with only a gesture on the screen. Does anyone buy that? If it's true, can someone please explain it to me because I don't really understand how a glass that doesn't interfere with the capacitive touch capabilities while the screen is on would somehow interfere with it while the screen is off.

Anyway, the point of all of this, is that with how amazingly great the build materials are on the Q10 (using premium materials like steel, stainless steel, and glass weave instead of plastic, plastic, and more plastic), they should extend that to their screen as well. My Q10 recently fell out of my holster and landed perfectly face first on some rocks. I mean, being a BlackBerry, it actually survived the fall much better than other phones, but it did crack the glass a little bit on the top edge (not enough to bother the actual usable screen area, it's in the black area), it's not a big deal since it doesn't reach the actual viewable screen area, but still, I'm kind of a perfectionist and I'm thinking about seeing if my insurance will cover this. But if they had used gorilla glass, this could have been avoided all together.

What are your opinions? If it's possible, should they look into using gorilla glass in the future with all of their future devices? And please, if you're here to troll about how there will be no more devices, take it elsewhere. I will ignore anything not relevant to the discussion of this topic and I urge all others to do the same, don't give these people the attention they so desperately want...

And no, I don't like using screen protectors or cases. I like how great the device looks naked. :-)
    11-20-13 12:33 AM
    Hey guys, I was wondering, I've read before that the reason why BB didn't use gorilla glass on their devices was because it hindered the ability to wake up the device with only a gesture on the screen. Does anyone buy that? If it's true, can someone please explain it to me because I don't really understand how a glass that doesn't interfere with the capacitive touch capabilities while the screen is on would somehow interfere with it while the screen is off.

Anyway, the point of all of this, is that with how amazingly great the build materials are on the Q10 (using premium materials like steel, stainless steel, and glass weave instead of plastic, plastic, and more plastic), they should extend that to their screen as well. My Q10 recently fell out of my holster and landed perfectly face first on some rocks. I mean, being a BlackBerry, it actually survived the fall much better than other phones, but it did crack the glass a little bit on the top edge (not enough to bother the actual usable screen area, it's in the black area), it's not a big deal since it doesn't reach the actual viewable screen area, but still, I'm kind of a perfectionist and I'm thinking about seeing if my insurance will cover this. But if they had used gorilla glass, this could have been avoided all together.

What are your opinions? If it's possible, should they look into using gorilla glass in the future with all of their future devices? And please, if you're here to troll about how there will be no more devices, take it elsewhere. I will ignore anything not relevant to the discussion of this topic and I urge all others to do the same, don't give these people the attention they so desperately want...

And no, I don't like using screen protectors or cases. I like how great the device looks naked. :-)
    Gorilla Glass is just Corning's trademark name for toughened glass. It does break or shatter just like any other toughened glass in use in most mobile devices. Odds are if Gorilla Glass was on your Q10 the same damage would have occurred.
    11-20-13 01:04 AM
    Yeah, even if they had used Gorilla Glass, I would still be using my hard/soft shell combo. Sorry, but protecting your device vs worrying about how it looks seems like a no-brainer to me. I happen to think it's a very nice looking phone as well, but that doesn't stop me from using a case. To be worried about looks vs protection, kinda stupid. If my screen cracked, it would bother me till it was fixed, whether in the usable screen area or not.

Posted from my Q10 running 10.2.1.1055 via CB10
    11-20-13 01:09 AM
    Yeah, even if they had used Gorilla Glass, I would still be using my hard/soft shell combo. Sorry, but protecting your device vs worrying about how it looks seems like a no-brainer to me. I happen to think it's a very nice looking phone as well, but that doesn't stop me from using a case. To be worried about looks vs protection, kinda stupid. If my screen cracked, it would bother me till it was fixed, whether in the usable screen area or not.

Honestly, and this is not an attempt to insult you or anyone, but I've never had any cracks, or breaks in any of my phones, ever. That's because I am not at all clumsy and pretty much never drop my phone. This was because I was helping someone else with something and he moved the thing we were lifting a little more toward me suddenly and it just happened to touch the release latch on my holster. So honestly, getting a big case and a screen protector, and all of those things will just be protecting a finish and surface that I'll never get to use and see makes little sense for me... I just don't see a point in that (for me). The phone and its build materials were made to be touched. The glass weave has a rubberized coating to be comfortable to hold and to not slip out of your hand. The steel frame is supposed to give you that "cool to the touch" sensation so you know it's metal and it's high quality. Put big cases on it and a screen protector, sure now you'll never scratch the phone, but you'll also never see or feel any of it for the entire time you own the phone, so what was the point? Just so you can say "like new" when you sell it? I get to do that anyway since I don't drop my phones... AND I get to experience all of the tactile things the design of this phone was meant to give. So... Hey, you want to put the case on it? Fine by me, but don't call me "kinda stupid" for actually wanting to experience my phone and I won't call you a clumsy oaf for needing a case on your phone. ;-)
    11-20-13 01:45 AM
    Gorilla Glass is just Corning's trademark name for toughened glass. It does break or shatter just like any other toughened glass in use in most mobile devices. Odds are if Gorilla Glass was on your Q10 the same damage would have occurred.
    Ah ok, thanks for that info. They advertise Gorilla Glass like it's indestructible. But I've definitely seen my share of Galaxy S3's with shattered screens, which are made with gorilla glass... And I guess the conditions of this fall would seem like a worst case scenario, considering it fell on an uneven, hard, and jagged surface (big rocks, not smooth pebbles or anything like that, an iphone would have been shattered for sure), and even then, it didn't do anything but a small crack on the edge... The phone didn't even get the opportunity to "break apart" (battery door and battery separating from the phone) to dissipate some of the energy from the fall since it didn't fall on an edge... And before you smarty pants people come in here to say how that doesn't matter, go learn some physics first. :-P I'm honestly quite impressed with how well it managed in the fall. I was just wondering since I do remember that issue being brought up before about gorilla glass and it interfering with something on the phone...
    11-20-13 01:52 AM
    I'm not a clumsy oaf. I just think better safe than sorry. And clearly you don't "never" drop your phone, or you likely would never have started this thread. Even if you only dropped a phone once in your whole life, that one time you dropped it just damaged your phone. Whereas I could drop my phone a hundred times and never put a scratch on it. Never seeing something that's perfectly protected is a heck of a lot better than seeing scratches everywhere. And I didn't call you stupid, I said not protecting a phone b/c you're worried about looks is kinda stupid. That doesn't mean that you're stupid, it means your logic and behavior in this particular situation is kind of stupid, and I reiterate that it is. And I'm not bothered by being called a clumsy oaf. I've been called worse, and I am clumsy, and rather oafish in fact.

11-20-13 01:57 AM
    I'm not a clumsy oaf. I just think better safe than sorry. And clearly you don't "never" drop your phone, or you likely would never have started this thread. Even if you only dropped a phone once in your whole life, that one time you dropped it just damaged your phone. Whereas I could drop my phone a hundred times and never put a scratch on it. Never seeing something that's perfectly protected is a heck of a lot better than seeing scratches everywhere. And I didn't call you stupid, I said not protecting a phone b/c you're worried about looks is kinda stupid. That doesn't mean that you're stupid, it means your logic and behavior in this particular situation is kind of stupid, and I reiterate that it is. And I'm not bothered by being called a clumsy oaf. I've been called worse, and I am clumsy, and rather oafish in fact.

It has a small crack on the BLACK PART of the screen, above the "BlackBerry" and to the left. That part of the glass is not even used for the screen, and therefor, it actually doesn't bother me. There are 0 scratches or cracks, anywhere else on the screen. If you don't look for this crack, you'll think it's in perfect condition. And I have insurance on the phone from the phone company. That actually does cover damages to my phone even if it's my fault, another reason why I'd rather just use my phone in all its glory (on top of the fact that I am very careful with my tech) than put a big case covering it up. So, sorry, my logic is still pretty sound. :-) Not to mention, I actually know how to replace things like the screen and other parts. I've fixed several phones belonging to friends already, including a faulty camera on a Galaxy S3, and screen assembly on a S2... I know how to replace the screen on the Q10 as well, but haven't had the need to, because they are so durable... or because I don't know anyone else with the phone... *sob* :'(

If I tend to drop my phone a lot, then yes, I'll put a case on it since even the insurance thing would be kind of troublesome...
    11-20-13 02:23 AM
    its easily done, not matter how much care you take. There is a limit to the amount of care you can take and bad things do happen sometimes to us mere mortals. If it hasn't yet, you have been more lucky as well as more careful in all probability, so continue pray it doesn't happen to you.

Gorilla glass will not save a phone from a drop - it is good for preventing sleeks and casual scratching, but both of those can be avoided by a good case and good general care. However, when dropped, its in the lap of the Gods, no matter what it is made of. Gorilla glass is tough, but it is not invulnerable, something I can personally attest to.

Special message to all those buttery fingered CB addicts - I feel your pain
    11-20-13 03:48 AM
    I haven't thrown my Q10 down the stairs yet, but I certainly tossed my Torch a whole bunch of times :P That thing was a TANK! Albeit a few scratches on the corners where the cases would break off, but the screen never cracked. I'm using a softer rubbery case on my Q10 and I've only dropped it once on my floor, with no issue. Things happen, get a case for now, and you never know, maybe another BlackBerry will come out that you like better and you can start over with no screen cracks

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 06:51 AM
    A few days ago I mistakenly placed my Q10 in my lap while driving, hoped out extremely fast and there went the Q tumbling down the concrete parking lot. Like the OP, I too prefer the look and feel of my actual device. Of all my Berry's I've only purchased a case (otterbox) for one (8900) and used it for a week then took it off never to be seen again. BlackBerry's, in my opinion have always been the best built smartphone in the business and in like fashion the tumble my Q suffered left it with minimal damage. Although my heart stopped beating for a second, after picking it up only the metal surrounding the phone has a few knicks. I did however after a month of having the phone put a clear screen protector on it due to my ashy thumb apparently creating hairline scratches. I spent $1.99 free shipping and handling for an Xtremeguard protector and I couldn't be happier. My point here is that this is the only device (BlackBerry) that I comfortably carry without worrying. I bought 3 cases for my GS3 but the fact that I enjoy experiencing the aesthetic beauty of my phones always left me torn....but not with my beloved Berry.

Posted via CB10
    joewoo likes this.
    11-20-13 11:21 AM
    its easily done, not matter how much care you take. There is a limit to the amount of care you can take and bad things do happen sometimes to us mere mortals. If it hasn't yet, you have been more lucky as well as more careful in all probability, so continue pray it doesn't happen to you.

Gorilla glass will not save a phone from a drop - it is good for preventing sleeks and casual scratching, but both of those can be avoided by a good case and good general care. However, when dropped, its in the lap of the Gods, no matter what it is made of. Gorilla glass is tough, but it is not invulnerable, something I can personally attest to.

Special message to all those buttery fingered CB addicts - I feel your pain
    Well, in all honesty, even with a case, it fell face first, so, that kind of would have bypassed the case anyway... And even a screen protector wouldn't really have protected it since those are flexible as well...
    11-20-13 12:22 PM
    A case with edges may have kept the screen from impacting the surface that the phone fell on, unless part of the surface were raised (i.e rocks, gravel, etc) and took up an area smaller than the surface area of the case. For example, no case would protect your phone from a small rock sticking straight up out of the ground if your phone falls face first. And gorilla glass is probably not going to protect against that either. But some protection is better than none. Some cars are built better than others, but we don't take the airbags out.

11-20-13 12:27 PM
    To me it's like when you see someone who leaves the plastic film on the lcd screens of their digital camera. Sure you're protecting it, but you're basically NEVER going to see the clarity and the quality of that LCD screen for the entire time you'll be using it. So really, what are you protecting it for? Just the knowledge that it's scratch free?

I'm honestly not that worried about the phone actually being damaged to the point of it not functioning from a fall. Mainly because of the detachable back and battery. That's actually part of the reason why iphones break so easily. Nothing separates so the device absorbs all of the shock while almost every other phone can break apart and that actually saves them from normal drops most of the time. Of course a case could mean the difference if you drop it often, but it's so rare for me, having it would be like not being able to take advantage of all of the hardware design choices made by BB just to prevent some scratches... That's like buying a new beautiful luxury car and covering the entire car up in a black rubber cover... Would that protect it from scratches and dings? Sure, but now you're never going to actually experience your car like it was designed for. So you're buying it just to resell it later and not to actually use and experience. I personally don't believe that's what we spend our money for...
    11-20-13 12:29 PM
    A case with edges may have kept the screen from impacting the surface that the phone fell on, unless part of the surface were raised (i.e rocks, gravel, etc) and took up an area smaller than the surface area of the case. For example, no case would protect your phone from a small rock sticking straight up out of the ground if your phone falls face first. And gorilla glass is probably not going to protect against that either. But some protection is better than none. Some cars are built better than others, but we don't take the airbags out.

Nope, it wasn't a flat surface. Unless those edges stuck out 5 inches... It fell on ROCKS, not pebbles, like Ping-Pong ball sized rocks. No little edge or lip on a case would have blocked one of those things from hitting the screen, lol. :-D

I'm starting to think you didn't really read my post fully since you pretty much just listed EXACTLY WHAT I SAID HAPPENED TO MY PHONE as your "unless" statement...

Edit:
    Quote from my original post: "landed perfectly face first on some rocks."
    Quote from my reply to mkelley: "considering it fell on an uneven, hard, and jagged surface (big rocks, not smooth pebbles or anything like that"
    Quote from you as your "unless" statement: "no case would protect your phone from a small rock sticking straight up out of the ground if your phone falls face first."

Yep, pretty much exactly what I said it fell on, lol. :-P

And just FYI, airbags are to protect the driver, not the car, not really relevant, just saying...
    11-20-13 12:30 PM
    Some people want to enjoy what they've got, others want to protect their investments. I'm sure as heck not going to pay full retail to replace my phone because I wanted to see how pretty and shiny it looks, rather than protect it.

11-20-13 12:32 PM
    I chose not to purchase insurance for my phone. In the long run, a case was cheaper. Also had insurance on a phone before, and was very dissatisfied with the service I received.

11-20-13 12:34 PM

Ooh, instead of airbags, since those protects the driver, not the car, you should use the "car bra's" as your example. So, what's your opinion? Buy a nice brand new luxury car, would you put a car bra on the front of it to keep it from getting scratched and squashed bugs all over the front?
    11-20-13 12:36 PM
    Some people want to enjoy what they've got, others want to protect their investments. I'm sure as heck not going to pay full retail to replace my phone because I wanted to see how pretty and shiny it looks, rather than protect it.

I buy things to use them, not to invest in them. But just for the example, I sold my Bold 9900 for $218, which I paid $199 for with the 2 year contract. So I made a profit on it, and I never used any case or screen protector on that, ever... :-) So I was able to "invest" in it, and experience it. Awesome right? :-P
    11-20-13 12:39 PM
    Airbags, car bra, you catch my drift. Stop being obtuse.

11-20-13 12:59 PM
    Airbags, car bra, you catch my drift. Stop being obtuse.

Then answer my question, you have a car bra on your car and you think not using one is "kind of stupid"?

And how is pointing out the irrelevance of your comparison being "obtuse"? It's a legitimate concern. I'm talking about putting a case on a phone and you're talking about a safety device to keep a driver from being killed... How is that at all a fair comparison?

Use Gorilla Glass for future BB devices?-colgan-original-car-bra.jpg
    There we go, so you agree that we all should have one of these on our cars right?

Use Gorilla Glass for future BB devices?-parking_armor_xl_rear_bumper_guard.jpg
    Ooh, and one of these too, you don't want your rear bumper to get scratched either... Now I have to look for something to protect the doors and the fenders...

Use Gorilla Glass for future BB devices?-dsc_0419.jpg
    These are boss!!
    11-20-13 03:43 PM
    I chose not to purchase insurance for my phone. In the long run, a case was cheaper. Also had insurance on a phone before, and was very dissatisfied with the service I received.

But anyway, back to the point, I didn't actually buy insurance for the sake of dropping the phone, I bought it for things like water damage (which it's supposed to cover) because you never know if you might get caught in a rain storm or something. I know they do make cases that make your phone water resistance, but is there one that will work with the type of holster I like? I am not a "stick my phone in my pocket" kind of guy, I like the quick access of holsters...
    11-20-13 03:51 PM
    Hey guys, for those of you who want to buy screen protectors, just noticed this deal from slickdeals. Enjoy!

*LIVE* XtremeGuard 75% Off Coupon for Screen or Full Body Protectors + Additional 10% off Samsung Product Accessories + Free Shipping - Slickdeals.net
    11-20-13 03:59 PM
    Well, maybe the car analogy was not a good one. It's likely that many people will drop their phones many more times than they wreck their cars. The bottom line is, a case adds more protection than no case, but there are situations where even the best case won't prevent damage. But neither would gorilla glass. In addition to my shell case, I also use a horizontal belt pouch. In the unlikely event that my belt pouch would come off my belt, the phone would still be protected from most drops. Now I'm kinda tired of going back and forth. You don't like the fact that I think not protecting a phone is stupid. Well, tough. I'm not going to change my mind, neither are you. Let's move on.

11-20-13 05:13 PM
    The only difference is that I never called you or your ways stupid because it's different than mine. I understand why someone would want a case, I've stated, rather clearly I might add, that not having one is merely my personal preference. You were the first to throw out an insult (and yes, here you come to claim it wasn't, predictable) so this "back and forth" that you're so sick of was also initiated by you. So I'll be happy to stop. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-20-13 06:07 PM
    Good for you, buddy. You win.

11-20-13 06:55 PM
29 12