I heard the trackpad is coming in 10.3

Posted via CB10
    PJD642 and aussie99 like this.
    11-22-13 04:05 PM
    OP, transition can be hard. After a decade on legacy BB, I moved to full touch Z10. The learning curve was immense, but for me there is no going back now. Note: I could have chosen the Q, but the rest of the world have moved on already to full touch. So I decided to move along as well.
    I wouldn't go back either.. handset spec obviously tooo out of date now. My ideal phone that will never exist is Q10 with call button or 2 user defined keys with OS7. As for the rest of the world going touch.. I for one am very happy with the Q keyboard and consider it far far far superior to the Z10 and Z30. Touch on phones just will never be as good. People can be ok with it, but keyboard is always better for people who type a lot of emails, tweets and messages. no substitue for the real thing. Everyone with Z's and iPhone etc is see constant typos etc. Been there is iPhone 4s.. played with some different Galaxy variants and its never never as good or enjoyable as a keypad.
    11-22-13 04:15 PM
    I heard the trackpad is coming in 10.3

Posted via CB10
    LOL...

or you being serious.. a digital version would be awesome if well implemented.
    11-22-13 04:16 PM
    Blackberry screwed up bigtime with the qwerty version. Let's try to analyze the situation here. There were two types of BB users who stayed with Blackberry during these bad times. First who are big Blackberry fans and would stay with Blackberry, no matter what. These folks bought Z10, and then Q10, and now Z30. They would buy anything Blackberry. That's all good. Second, there are those users who loved Qwerty keyboard and and didn't want to move, no matter what. They might have complained about browsing and stuff but that's not a big deal for them. Main thing here is that Blackberry should have introduced Qwerty version without changing many hardware features as most of the users in this segment are averse to change. Blackberry should have given them good features of BB10 like better app experience, browsing etc, without taking any hardware features like trackpad and call button. Becuase of this main reason (and of course rediculous pricing) Blackberry has not been able to convert most of its existing BBOS user base to BB10. TH screwed this up big time, hopefully John Chen can fix this ASAP.
    iamagod likes this.
    11-22-13 04:31 PM
    I agree with lots of points in this topic... OS10 had some features removed from OS7 that had no reason to be removed, like the speed dial and the non adjustable size of the pictures from camera. And some of the producitivity and speed of use has been lost from OS7, wich I think it shouldn't since I've always apreciated BB by how it could just do simple every day actions faster than any other phone... OS10 was a step back in that direction, but with new updates, they are correcting and adding some stuff wich is very cool, and I think OS10 will be back up to par in the things it lacked to OS7
    xanadome likes this.
    11-22-13 05:06 PM
    If you knew the q10 didn't have a track pad or a call button then why did you buy it? You should've just grabbed the z30 then, or a z10.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    11-22-13 05:07 PM
    Can not. Screen died. Top of phone was coming apart. Lack of internal memorry was causing issues. They dont sell new 9900's any longer in Canada and I want need real 4g not 3.3-3.5g that the 9900 had. I dont want to buy a used handset only to have issue down the road.
    You could consider a new Bold 9790 - It looks awesome
    BlackBerry Bold 9790 Smartphone - BlackBerry Bold Touch - US

Me personally went for the Z10 loved it, forgot about the past, then kept yearning for the keyboard whenever I saw my wife's 9900, and eventually went to the Q10 and haven't looked back. Yes the most annoying thing for me is hanging up the phone, I really feel like even without trackpad, they could have sqeezed in a call and hang up button, even if it is in the bottom row. The command shortcuts like "call <Name>" "note <notes>" etc are great, front facing camera to skype with my kids is great, reader mode on the web browser is awesome, sharing options are big if you're in the social world. Dissapointment for me is that HDMI out only puts out 720x720 display, so I cannot play you-tube videos well on the hotel TV's when I travel.
    11-22-13 05:21 PM
    [QUOTE=diehardbbuser;9593442]
    Honestly.. i hardly see BB10 OS as any real improvement of OS7.. sure its a bit more slick and and bit more gimmicky but all in all, no reason for all the delays and lost of reputation. Confused about what all the hype was about from RIM about BB10 being revolution. Hardly even evolutionary..

Honestly everyone has there right to voice there opinion which is great but sounds like you're a bit of a dinosaur. Yes it sucks some things were lost from bbos7 but do you think bbry would survive without brining bb10? It's still new and fresh and being updated constantly. ---see updates 10.2.0 and 10.2.1. Qwerty is great for typing for in order for bbry to survive we need more toys (z30)
    Oh and I don't really agree with z30 being a top but that's my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 05:31 PM
    Talk about only sticking your big toe in the water but can't take the plunge. That is me by the way, trying to go from a Torch to the z-series. With my Torch, I cannot remember the last time I even used the track pad - actually my previous Curve. Do not miss it at all. The OP's concerns are valid ones for me and almost all (except BBM which I don't use "yet"), would be a challenge at least for me. Not a complete deal breaker but problems nonetheless. Expanding upon what was so good and easy in OS7 and keep it with OS10 in a efficient manner. I can learn the hub stuff over time and really want to upgrade, but these issues are a problem. A lot of the problem is lack of hands-on with these phones to even try them. Only online buying just isn't the same along with having enthusiastic, knowledgeable salespeople wouldn't hurt either. Hopefully these "fixes" will be coming down the road. I am a huge fan of the BB brand and will continue to use them - just not sure which as of yet. Thank you for the valuable information OP.
    11-22-13 05:33 PM
    I agree with lots of points in this topic... OS10 had some features removed from OS7 that had no reason to be removed, like the speed dial and the non adjustable size of the pictures from camera. And some of the producitivity and speed of use has been lost from OS7, wich I think it shouldn't since I've always apreciated BB by how it could just do simple every day actions faster than any other phone... OS10 was a step back in that direction, but with new updates, they are correcting and adding some stuff wich is very cool, and I think OS10 will be back up to par in the things it lacked to OS7
    Agreed.
    11-22-13 05:34 PM
    Blackberry screwed up bigtime with the qwerty version. Let's try to analyze the situation here. There were two types of BB users who stayed with Blackberry during these bad times. First who are big Blackberry fans and would stay with Blackberry, no matter what. These folks bought Z10, and then Q10, and now Z30. They would buy anything Blackberry. That's all good. Second, there are those users who loved Qwerty keyboard and and didn't want to move, no matter what. They might have complained about browsing and stuff but that's not a big deal for them. Main thing here is that Blackberry should have introduced Qwerty version without changing many hardware features as most of the users in this segment are averse to change. Blackberry should have given them good features of BB10 like better app experience, browsing etc, without taking any hardware features like trackpad and call button. Becuase of this main reason (and of course rediculous pricing) Blackberry has not been able to convert most of its existing BBOS user base to BB10. TH screwed this up big time, hopefully John Chen can fix this ASAP.
    True... I'm of those QUERTY guys.... I'm don't want a QWERTY, i NEED a physical keyboard. I don't intensive texting, 90% of the time I use the phone is texting, either email, sms, IM, etc... and Physical keyboard , as long is it's done properly (not like nokias), would be an advantage to write.
    I like apps and browsing, but the ease of texting is in first order.... with a digital keyboard your eyes have to be slave of the phone... with querty, I write without looking at the phone, and I don't have to lift my fingers, I just slide them across the keyboard, making it a lot more confortable that a uber-sensitive touch keyboard.

Basicly, writing long stuff in querty is less tiring than in digital, and so far BB is the only phone company that produces good keyboards... other brands that have qwerty, both the phone itself and the keyboard are quite rubish compared to bb
    11-22-13 05:34 PM
    If you knew the q10 didn't have a track pad or a call button then why did you buy it? You should've just grabbed the z30 then, or a z10.

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    Q10 is nothing like a Z phone. Period. Frankly.. I dont see how people who used Bolds and Curves could ever live with a Z10. Z30 is a beast of phone and frankly.. way to much of brick and toy for me. If I was gonna go touch, I would probably have gone 5s or Galaxy. Then again, I'll use real pads for that experience.. and again I wish Blackberry had continue to develop and offer a new Playbook BB10! So I end up with the new Mini for now which is pretty perfect actually. Just hate the new OS flat design Apple launched.

Like I said.. the trackpad I'm learning to just live without and accept. The track pad ommission is really only for selecting text and at the end of the day, I'll live with the cumbersome way its done now as it's not a key part of the way I use the phone anyway.

The call button, I couldn't believe how badly the BB10 OS is without it. Never could have imagined how tough the Q10 is to act as a PHONE! You need to experience it to appreciate it. Its as if the Q10 is everything but a phone 1st...

The best part is.. there is no reason to Omit the call button. It doesnt take away from the BB10 user experience.. it doesn't take away from the design of the phone.. hell, all they have to do is offer it up as a customizable option to the voice command button. We used to be able to assign certain functions to certain buttons vs. what what assigned a default from the factory. Just let us assign a call button to the voice command button!!!! And allow us to use the Spacebar during a call to HANG-up as mentioned above by someone. Done deal. The Q10 then acts as a real phone again!

I hate when I'm on a call and can't hang up and waiting for the person on the other line to because of the blackout and long while for the screen to come back to hit the red screen button. A couple of times I thought the call had ended and the person and started talking to someone near me and the person on the other line was like.. "what did you say.. you still there? huh"

That would make the user experience of a Q10 way way way more enjoyable and increase efficiency and productivty to people who use the Q10 as a PHONE!
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 11-22-13 at 06:03 PM.
    nbaliga likes this.
    11-22-13 05:38 PM
    I'd like to think we're all been through enough to know that newer isn't always better. You want some of the legacy stuff. Well too bad, it won't come unless there are future updates to 10. I doubt they'll use their time and resources to make a dedicated call button remap function so only one of their phones can use it.

Regarding images, try out an app called image resizer. As for the rest, you kind of have to remind yourself os10 was designed for none qwerty phones too.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 05:42 PM
    So I do not feel like I`m asking much to get back the following things that BB10 took away from:

1. Give me a way of having a call button and hangup button.
    2. Give me back control over my pictures that I take file wise and not having to crop to save file size.
    3. Give me back control over my emails and how and where they are deleted off the device and servers.
    4. Give me back my lost apps natively..
    5. BBM - give me a way to make a call to them easily with a call button!
    6. Nice to have improvements over OS7 that I would like to see:
    Contacts improvement for handling creation of distribution lists,
    Resizablity of icons,
    Ability to group icons (nested) under 1 main icon with ability to name the nested icons That way, I dont need to keep left to right swiping to get to get through pages of icons. I find it really annoying to have to keep swiping away from left to right to get to icons.
    Call blocking feature!
    rimaniac likes this.
    11-22-13 06:15 PM
    I'd like to think we're all been through enough to know that newer isn't always better. You want some of the legacy stuff. Well too bad, it won't come unless there are future updates to 10. I doubt they'll use their time and resources to make a dedicated call button remap function so only one of their phones can use it.

Regarding images, try out an app called image resizer. As for the rest, you kind of have to remind yourself os10 was designed for none qwerty phones too.

Posted via CB10
    Its not just One phone.. there is a line of Q.. it`s not just that 10 that would benefit but also the 5 and 30 if rumors are true from italy etc. And I`ll guarantee you.. even Z users would approciate if it if they could assign it to the one of the side buttons! So the remap etc would be benefifical to all BB10 users. Just beause they dont have the option now doesnt mean it would not be well received by them as well. I bet a great many would try it out and see how useful it would be their user experience and interfacing with the phone.

As for the pictures, Its a non issue now that I know the native camera is 4:3 and there isnt an option default to control file size. Just means I`will use more memory but with the price of memory so cheap shouldnt be an issue. Just stupid to have lost the option directly within the camera function vs. having to use an App to do what we could before. I doubt many people even realize they are degrading their images by using 1:1 or 16:9 settings.. that should be something done in an app not during image acquistion.

As for BB10... I dont know where you get your facts. There was always a plan to sell a qwerty. Blackberry has been and will always have qwerty. Just because the CEO completely did not understand its user base and insisted on launching an iPhone clone competitor even saying ``ive gotten used to the touch and perfer it now`` as if having to convince himself and badly so that the Z10 was more enjoyable an experience then the 9900.. I never for a second believed him when he said that at launch. He know the Q10 was there.. but felt it best to go the Z10 route at launch. So BB10 MUST HAVE ALWAYS had the qwerty interface and experience as part of the Development.

Its nonsense to say that BB10 is only about touch from the beginning and qwerty was an afterthought.
    11-22-13 06:27 PM
    OP you are on point with almost everything you're saying. It boggles me how BlackBerry so cluelessly destroyed their phone by omitting the call keys and trackpad. I think TH was a little too bent on being "revolutionary" when some things didn't need change. The OS philosophy was never the problem with BlackBerry it was the crap hardware. Now they upped the hardware but lost the original OS philosophy. Its been discussed alot here, die hard BlackBerry users know that BB10 is a step back from Os7 from an efficiency and productivity aspect. Fanboys who say otherwise want a gaming and media consumption device first (which begs the question; why are they using a BlackBerry in the first place).

The good news is the phone can be salvaged. Some of your concerns are definitely going to be addressed in 10.2.1, and hopefully more will be in further updates. They need to really start incorporating more keyboard shortcuts. In another thread I had suggested using the space bar as an "end call" key as well, and see no reason why that can't be so in a future update.

You can't knock the browser tho, that is the one thing the BlackBerry team did nail

Posted via CB10
    rimaniac likes this.
    11-22-13 06:35 PM
    [QUOTE=miketko;9594637]
    Honestly.. i hardly see BB10 OS as any real improvement of OS7.. sure its a bit more slick and and bit more gimmicky but all in all, no reason for all the delays and lost of reputation. Confused about what all the hype was about from RIM about BB10 being revolution. Hardly even evolutionary..

Honestly everyone has there right to voice there opinion which is great but sounds like you're a bit of a dinosaur. Yes it sucks some things were lost from bbos7 but do you think bbry would survive without brining bb10? It's still new and fresh and being updated constantly. ---see updates 10.2.0 and 10.2.1. Qwerty is great for typing for in order for bbry to survive we need more toys (z30)
    Oh and I don't really agree with z30 being a top but that's my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Survivied with out BB10-QNX. ABSOLUTELY. Hell, I personally believe it would have THRIVED and GROWN if they had updated their handsets properly with LTE earlier, better bigger screens and better speed and memory specs and stuck to OS7 or even OS8 as an update. Having now experience BB10, TH was beyond off base about the level of resource and commitment they put into it for almost ZERO return. Hub to be honest is hardly that much coding; it was practically there before with the Messages folder and adding Social Media feeds into Messages.. WOW.. what a breakthrough. They took folders and put it into bars in Messages ie Hub... WOW.. dramatic. Takes years of coding to do that .. (insert eye roll)

The only thing BB was lacking was better, faster handsets like with the Q10 and Z30 offer.

Now they need to clean-up the new OS just to get it back to OS7 level quality and then re-energize the brand. Once true effective support for a portal to the Android app store and app developers see it takes very little to give full support to BB10 through the portal then yeah.. I can see BB taking over Windows Phone again and taking some sales again from Android devices.
    11-22-13 06:56 PM
    [QUOTE=diehardbbuser;9594977]

Survivied with out BB10-QNX. ABSOLUTELY. Hell, I personally believe it would have THRIVED and GROWN if they had updated their handsets properly with LTE earlier, better bigger screens and better speed and memory specs and stuck to OS7 or even OS8 as an update. Having now experience BB10, TH was beyond off base about the level of resource and commitment they put into it for almost ZERO return. Hub to be honest is hardly that much coding; it was practically there before with the Messages folder and adding Social Media feeds into Messages.. WOW.. what a breakthrough. They took folders and put it into bars in Messages ie Hub... WOW.. dramatic. Takes years of coding to do that .. (insert eye roll)

The only thing BB was lacking was better, faster handsets like with the Q10 and Z30 offer.

Now they need to clean-up the new OS just to get it back to OS7 level quality and then re-energize the brand. Once true effective support for a portal to the Android app store and app developers see it takes very little to give full support to BB10 through the portal then yeah.. I can see BB taking over Windows Phone again and taking some sales again from Android devices.
    Looks like you had all the answers. #hindsight

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 07:07 PM
    Regarding the camera: you do realize that there is a 4:3 mode available, right? No, there is no way to control the file size, so all my photos average 2 MB. However, I prefer to do my editing on a desktop screen, where I can save the photos in smaller formats, so I don't mind.

Most of your complaints have been voiced ever since the Q10 was released. Most people got used to the way the new phones require us to operate them; a small minority went back to OS7 phones. I was a bit frustrated at first as well, but now whenever I have to do something on my son's Torch 9860 (he's 13, so I plan to have access to it till he's 16), I appreciate the Q10 so much more. Even the trackpad seems clumsy now.
    11-22-13 07:55 PM
    So I do not feel like I`m asking much to get back the following things that BB10 took away from:

1. Give me a way of having a call button and hangup button.
    I'm sure on the Q10 we will see buttons for this; I thought there already were short cuts for it but I guess I was wrong
    2. Give me back control over my pictures that I take file wise and not having to crop to save file size.
    I'm sure we will see this down the road
    3. Give me back control over my emails and how and where they are deleted off the device and servers.
    The leaked OS has this, expect to see this prior to Christmas in Canada, possibly January/February
    4. Give me back my lost apps natively..
    Unfortunately most of this will be up to the devs of those apps, BlackBerry has some control over this but it is very little; they are working on it I'm sure, we can help by encouraging those developers to release for BB10
    5. BBM - give me a way to make a call to them easily with a call button!
    As a gentleman mentioned; if you link there is an easier way; we see improvements in BBM every couple months; expect to see this to return
    6. Nice to have improvements over OS7 that I would like to see:
    Contacts improvement for handling creation of distribution lists,
    Contact Groups seem to be similar to distribution lists in the leaked os
    Resizablity of icons,
    Would be cool, no idea of plans for this
    Ability to group icons (nested) under 1 main icon with ability to name the nested icons That way, I dont need to keep left to right swiping to get to get through pages of icons. I find it really annoying to have to keep swiping away from left to right to get to icons.
    You actually can create a group of icons; hold down your finger of an icon you'll start to see trash cans over the icons, drag one icon over another icon. It creates a folder which contains a group of icons and lets you name it. I keep all my Media icons in one folder, all my games in another, all my financial stuff in another and than other productivity in a last one. Ohya and I also keep all my unused undeletable apps in another. This can be done without the Leaked OS and is similar to the playbook, downside is can only handle 16 apps in a folder at the moment although I find it is usually long enough
    Call blocking feature!
    I don't know about this one
    11-22-13 08:40 PM
    [QUOTE=diehardbbuser;9594977]

Unfortunately because OS7 and previous were all coded in Java, no matter what they threw at the system it needed an entire recode. Java is slow and they would have never been able to get the smoothness that is expected nor the speed even with the current specs in the phones. QNX brings something huge, and that is a Real Time Operating System which is different than most OS's you have used. This operating system allows BB10 to do things no other mobile phone could ever imagine in doing, and the ability to also run true multitasking which is what allows BB10 to run the Android Runtime in its own thread. The possibilities are endless, but it will take time to be developed. I'm excited and so should you be on what can be done, do some research on QNX, BB10 and what is being worked on. Also spend more time with the OS, give it a real chance and I'm sure you'll come to love it.

Cheers,
    Tehedra
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    11-22-13 08:47 PM
    I think change is always tough because we get used to features on our previous device. I agree that some of the things removed were poor choices but I hope that many of these things are readied in time. The OS is only a year old or so and is relatively young and still needs time to develop. Each update adds more of the things that were missed and thing are adjusted to be more productive.

I love my z30 but I never used the OS7 so I guess I don't know what I'm missing

Posted via my Z30
    11-22-13 09:00 PM
    Grouped Icons.. COOL. I didn`t know that existed. THANKS!

As for things coming into the next release of BB10 OS. COOL.
    11-22-13 09:24 PM
    [QUOTE=Tehedra;9595513]

Unfortunately because OS7 and previous were all coded in Java, no matter what they threw at the system it needed an entire recode. Java is slow and they would have never been able to get the smoothness that is expected nor the speed even with the current specs in the phones. QNX brings something huge, and that is a Real Time Operating System which is different than most OS's you have used. This operating system allows BB10 to do things no other mobile phone could ever imagine in doing, and the ability to also run true multitasking which is what allows BB10 to run the Android Runtime in its own thread. The possibilities are endless, but it will take time to be developed. I'm excited and so should you be on what can be done, do some research on QNX, BB10 and what is being worked on. Also spend more time with the OS, give it a real chance and I'm sure you'll come to love it.

Cheers,
    Tehedra
    I realize the QNX in theory may offer up advancements just not sure it was worth scarificing a company over it and billions of lost shareholder value. I`m over it.. just wish when I got me BB10 device, that I would have seen something more significant.. which wasn`t the case...

As for getting used it.. I really like the keep it simple and purposeful approach.. hence why OS7 was great. I really dislike Android and its mismash and gimmicks. I see certain appeal of Apple iOS just don`t like it implementation. Hopefully, you are right and real advancement will be seen in time to make a difference to the BB Team.
    11-22-13 09:30 PM
    I do agree BlackBerry should bring back the old hardware buttons.

They will only enhance bb10 and bring even more productivity. The blackberry button could take you directly to the hub. The back button would fix needing the android bar and of course the call buttons are useful.

The track pad could double as a home button for the less technical and make text selection great instead of only good.

Maybe the q30 will bring the best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    11-22-13 09:31 PM
114 1234 ...