I have been wondering what causes my battery to drain fast, and I think unread text messages may be the culprit. I notice this in the morning, when I check my phone and see that I have a couple of unread messages from friends.

There was also a time when I was in yoga class and I got several messages and a missed call while my phone was on silent. The battery dropped down to half the charge in an hour and a half.

I am wondering if anyone has the same experience, and if you do, is there any solution for this? I have the LED off for messages. I also use a very simple notification tone. Instant previews are off.
    03-22-14 09:13 PM
    usually i would blame the constant blinking of the red LED but since you have it off, its odd
    rickyvberry likes this.
    03-22-14 09:23 PM
    My wife has seen this on her Q5 multiple times. If you go to device monitor, "Text Messaging" had consumed a large percentage of the battery since last charge (over 50% in some instances) and the CPU has been really working hard with the Text Messaging service for the same period that the battery was getting taxed.

It seems something causes that service to overwork the CPU which of course drains the battery hard.

A restart temporarily fixes it.

Hers is a Q5 that was using software release10.2.1.537 (just upgrading to 2102 now).

Posted via CB10
    rickyvberry likes this.
    03-22-14 09:48 PM
    Having this very issue with my z30. I've pinned it down to text message system as well. See attached.

Unread text messages may be causing battery drain.-img_20140406_095138.png

Unread text messages may be causing battery drain.-img_20140405_224945.png
    04-06-14 05:41 AM
    Wow. Huge bug.
    04-06-14 07:59 AM
    No issues on my Q10 running 10.2.1.2102

Posted via SQN100-3
    04-06-14 09:37 AM
    No issues on my Q10 running 10.2.1.2102

Posted via SQN100-3
    Thanks for that, BUT it's very clear there are issues on others handsets, including mine, which, incidentally, us also running the same os

Again, I've tried an experiment today and sent a few texts to myself from another handset. I read and replied to all texts, but left the hub on the text page (for want of a better word) put my phone back into the holster and left it for two hours. Low and behold, my battery has drained within those two hours. So this has to be an OS bug or issue.
    Please, can other people try this experiment.

Get someone to text you. Either do not look at the text or open and read the text but leave the hub open on the text and leave your phone for about 2/3 hours. Check your battery on return and see if there is any drain.
    04-06-14 10:11 AM
    Thanks for that, BUT it's very clear there are issues on others handsets, including mine, which, incidentally, us also running the same os

Again, I've tried an experiment today and sent a few texts to myself from another handset. I read and replied to all texts, but left the hub on the text page (for want of a better word) put my phone back into the holster and left it for two hours. Low and behold, my battery has drained within those two hours. So this has to be an OS bug or issue.
    Please, can other people try this experiment.

Get someone to text you. Either do not look at the text or open and read the text but leave the hub open on the text and leave your phone for about 2/3 hours. Check your battery on return and see if there is any drain.

Maybe you just need to wipe and reinstall the OS on your phone. I have had issues in the past, but back when I had 10.1 on the phone... 10.2.1 has really made a huge difference on the performance on this phone for me. I'd suggest doing a security wipe, installing a leak or the latest carrier OS & then restoring all contacts etcc.

I have 7 e-mail accounts, Facebook, Twitter, whatspp, linkedIn synced to the phone & have average battery from anywhere 12-15 hours with unread texts, missed calls etc on a regular basis.. with heavy use (not putting it down for 90% of the time) it lasts 8-10 hours..screen also at 100%

These phones have the same hardware, if you're having issues, it's a fairly simple fix, just security wipe, restore and seee what happens. Remember to give it 24-72 hours after a restore to index the OS files correctly

Posted via SQN100-3
    04-06-14 11:56 AM
    Appreciate that, but I'm trying to resolve without a security wipe. If I can't, then of course I will wipe.

I know one of the people on this thread were going to carry out a wipe, I will see how they have faired and if ok, then will carry one our myself.
    04-06-14 01:15 PM
    Hello,

I have been probing Google to find out why Text Messaging is destroying my Q10's battery life and this is the first thread regarding the same problem I am having - 44% before shower - 6% when I got out 15 minutes later. There is not much information on this subject which leads me to believe that this is a pretty new issue (maybe?). I'm wondering if anyone has contacted BB or found anything else about this issue. I have only had my phone for 2-3 months now.

Edit: I did not have a text pending when I got back, only a Facebook notification. Also my Device Monitor looks similar to the ones posted.
    Last edited by Mike LeBlanc; 04-06-14 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add info
    uktivo likes this.
    04-06-14 07:24 PM
    I have been having a similar issue. Take a look at this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-drain-915576/

Maybe we can connect some dots and figure this out.

Edit: I'm using Z10 by the way, but the issue seems to be very similar or the same.
    04-08-14 03:57 PM
    this just happened to me i was at around 45% battery and an hour later it was at 12% . Only thing I can say is that i had the text hub open but ive done this in the past and its never killed the battery so quick
    05-26-14 07:03 PM
    this just happened to me i was at around 45% battery and an hour later it was at 12% . Only thing I can say is that i had the text hub open but ive done this in the past and its never killed the battery so quick
    Yep, that's what caused mine also. Text hub left active.
    05-28-14 07:11 PM