Hi,

Is there a way to deactivate the key pad numbers from unlocking a locked phone??? I mean really? If I lock my phone, I don't want it to unlock in my pocket for any reason, and have it unlock with key presses is simply ********.
    I turned off the "gestures" to unlock function, but that only stops the swiping to unlock , which btw is also very dangerous feature imo.

I have never loved and hated something (bb10, q10) so much in my life, its killing me.
    10-17-13 05:35 AM
    I suppose a holster would stop the keys being pressed. Is it locked with a password, or is it just in standby?
    10-17-13 05:41 AM
    It does not unlock the phone, it just shows the lock screen, if you push a numbers key.
    10-17-13 05:42 AM
    It does not unlock the phone, it just shows the lock screen, if you push a numbers key.

Sorry, should have elaborated. Not key locked but in screen lock I understand when hitting a# button it goes to the lock screen, but from there its a swipe up to unlock the standy mode. Far too easy to pocket dial, which on this phine is a daily accurance. I jus want lock to be lock.
    10-17-13 07:04 AM
    Sorry, should have elaborated. Not key locked but in screen lock I understand when hitting a# button it goes to the lock screen, but from there its a swipe up to unlock the standy mode. Far too easy to pocket dial, which on this phine is a daily accurance. I jus want lock to be lock.
    I understand you think this is a problem, but you will have to deal with it, as this is how it works.

My message to all others who might read this and get concerned: I had the Q10 since its release and the Q5 since a couple of weeks. I am always carrying my phones in rather tight blue jeans front pockets. None of the Qs turned themselves on, never ever, neither when inserting them into a pocket, nor while being in there, nor while taking them out. Not even the lock screen got turned on due to erroneous key presses. And of course, not a single pocket dial occured, nor any other unwanted phone activity.

The keys are quite stiff to press - ideal for typing, but hard to press erroneously. In order to dial, the following needs to happen:

one of the 10 numbers key gets pressed
    swipe up from the lower bezel to the top of the screen
    open phone app (or contacts)
    press a phone number from last calls list (or select name fromphonebook,l then select dial a number, when in contacts app)

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that this happens. I appreciate the OP's concerns, but there are too many alleged flaws of BB10 phones circulating in these forums, which are non-issues in reality, and I just wanted to put that into the right perspective.
    10-17-13 07:25 AM
    Yes, there is a way to change it. From your home screen, swipe down from the top to get the menu that allows you to go to "Settings." Tap on "Settings" to bring up the "System Settings" menu. Scroll to and tap "Display." Toggle the "allow gestures when locked" option to "Off." also toggle the "Allow power button to unlock deviice" option to "Off." After you make those changes, you will be able to use your power button to lock your device when you put the phone in your pocket, and when you unlock it with the power button when you take the phone out of your pocket, the lock screen will show and you will need to swipe up. If you forget, after a couple of seconds, arrows will move up the screen to remind you to swipe up.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 08:16 AM
    I understand you think this is a problem, but you will have to deal with it, as this is how it works.

My message to all others who might read this and get concerned: I had the Q10 since its release and the Q5 since a couple of weeks. I am always carrying my phones in rather tight blue jeans front pockets. None of the Qs turned themselves on, never ever, neither when inserting them into a pocket, nor while being in there, nor while taking them out. Not even the lock screen got turned on due to erroneous key presses. And of course, not a single pocket dial occured, nor any other unwanted phone activity.

The keys are quite stiff to press - ideal for typing, but hard to press erroneously. In order to dial, the following needs to happen:

one of the 10 numbers key gets pressed
    swipe up from the lower bezel to the top of the screen
    open phone app (or contacts)
    press a phone number from last calls list (or select name fromphonebook,l then select dial a number, when in contacts app)

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that this happens. I appreciate the OP's concerns, but there are too many alleged flaws of BB10 phones circulating in these forums, which are non-issues in reality, and I just wanted to put that into the right perspective.
    I understand what you mean, and yes its rare, but it has happened to me and my friend for some reason, now whether due to my error or not, im not quite sure, but the chance is there.
    10-17-13 08:16 AM
    Use a device password, that way if the screen opens the Q10 is still locked.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 08:20 AM
    Use a device password, that way if the screen opens the Q10 is still locked.

Posted via CB10
    Thats always an option even if a little inconvenient.
    im going to wait and see what 10.2 brings us.

thanks.
    10-17-13 08:24 AM
    Yes, there is a way to change it. From your home screen, swipe down from the top to get the menu that allows you to go to "Settings." Tap on "Settings" to bring up the "System Settings" menu. Scroll to and tap "Display." Toggle the "allow gestures when locked" option to "Off." also toggle the "Allow power button to unlock deviice" option to "Off." After you make those changes, you will be able to use your power button to lock your device when you put the phone in your pocket, and when you unlock it with the power button when you take the phone out of your pocket, the lock screen will show and you will need to swipe up. If you forget, after a couple of seconds, arrows will move up the screen to remind you to swipe up.

Posted via CB10
    This doesn't change anything that concerned the OP.
    Even with "allow gestureswhen locked" set to off, the lock screen will still show when pressing a numbers key, and then swiping up will unlock the device.
    The only difference is that when the option is set to off, swiping up when the screen is off will not unlock the device.

However, like I said before, this never ever happened on any of my Qs, nor on any of the 4 friend's/workmate's Qs that I know of, and I can't think of any scenario where this might be an issue, except with a defective keyboard (and even then it's very unlikely that the steps that I outlined in my previous post will happen without human intervention).
    10-17-13 08:47 AM
    Thats always an option even if a little inconvenient.
    im going to wait and see what 10.2 brings us.

thanks.
    Wait for 10.2? Did you read my detailed response--it's fixable now.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 08:47 AM
    Hi,

Is there a way to deactivate the key pad numbers from unlocking a locked phone???
    I'd also prefer an option to deactivate this feature in a future update.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    Last edited by SharonRD; 10-17-13 at 04:36 PM.
    10-17-13 03:00 PM
    Again, pressing a numbers key will not unlock the phone. It will show the lock screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 03:10 PM
    Yes, which is what I don't want. I'd really prefer to be able to only have the power button bring up the lock screen, and not the number keys.

10-17-13 03:17 PM
    Yes, which is what I don't want. I'd really prefer to be able to only have the power button bring up the lock screen, and not the number keys.

This is how I handle this challenge: if I don't want the number keys to show the lock screen, I don't push them.

Sorry for being snippy. Requesting a new feature is valid. However, this is what I can already see "reviewers" and "tech journalists" typing:
    "Blackberry users report on BB10 devices turning themselves on and making unintentional phone calls".

Which is not an issue at all on any of the Q series phones. But this is how bad reputation got/gets built up.
    10-17-13 04:10 PM
    Yes, I really do understand where you're coming from. But if placed in my pocket, I've found the numbers buttons inadvertently do get pressed sometimes. It would just be nice to have an option to turn off this feature in a future update.

10-17-13 04:21 PM
    This has happened to me a few times as well.

I also agree that it rarely happens at all, however when cleaning it or under other circumstances I'd like to be able to just... lock it from doing anything unless the power button is pressed. It seems pretty standard. If it becomes a feature later on, I'll use it. if not, I'm not gonna get all emotional about it either.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 06:31 PM