Greetings All,

Has anyone purchased a new unlocked BB Q10 on ebay
    Here is the link: New Blackberry 10 Q10 Latest Model 16GB Black Unlocked Smartphone 0802975666096 | eBay
    It's about $100 less than buying it direct from Blackberry and I'm not sure if it is safe to do.

In my 14 years of using a cell phone I've never purchased an unlocked phone and I'm wondering what the real differences are. I have been with ATT for all these years and I've been off-contract for two years. I realize if I bring my own phone I can stay off-contract. Are there other good reasons for buying an unlocked BB Q10? Does it mean I don't get the bloatware?

Thank you.

Ken
    02-10-14 09:58 PM
    You'll still get bloatware. The only benefit is use you can use other carriers SIM cards when compatible, you're not locked in to any one carrier. As for safety, well your mileage may vary -- it's eBay. There's a reason they write their own guides on how to not get scammed.
    02-10-14 11:03 PM
    Greetings All,

Here is the link: New Blackberry 10 Q10 Latest Model 16GB Black Unlocked Smartphone 0802975666096 | eBay
    It's about $100 less than buying it direct from Blackberry and I'm not sure if it is safe to do.

In my 14 years of using a cell phone I've never purchased an unlocked phone and I'm wondering what the real differences are. I have been with ATT for all these years and I've been off-contract for two years. I realize if I bring my own phone I can stay off-contract. Are there other good reasons for buying an unlocked BB Q10? Does it mean I don't get the bloatware?

Thank you.

Ken
    I've gotten unlocked ones from eBay before, brand new.

As long as the buyer has a good amount of positive feedback and has been a member for a while, it's safe.

You'll get all the at&t bloatware because you'll be using their sim, but you can just delete the apps you don't want (i.e. I deleted the T-Mobile My Account app on the unlocked white Q10 BlackBerry sent me). Other than the splash screen, you can't tell that it's on T-Mobile's network at all.

If you're on at&t and buy one of the GSM unlocked Q10s, you can also use it on T-Mobile, should you ever leave at&t, and you'd get the same 4G LTE.
    02-11-14 12:01 AM
    Note that the phones listed are the SQN100-3, which may not be appropriate for your network. They are used on Rogers and European carriers.
    02-11-14 03:24 PM
    Note that the phones listed are the SQN100-3, which may not be appropriate for your network. They are used on Rogers and European carriers.
    Thank you very much for that info - I wondered what the SQN100-3 meant!
    02-11-14 04:13 PM
    Greetings All,

Thank you.

Ken
    I notice that listing says nothing about whether that phone is GSM or not, which you'll need. Also, I'm on AT&T and the model that they sell is SQN100-1. I don't know if SQN100-3 would work right or not, there are threads that go through the differences between the models, you should look them up. Regarding your concerns, there are no differences in how an unlocked phone works, in fact, you can call AT&T and get an unlock code for your current phone. That's all it means, you can use other carrier SIMs if it's unlocked, but it's basically the same exact phone. If you're worried about bloatware, load the 10.2.1.1925 leak instead of letting it update to AT&T latest update, then turn auto update off.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    02-11-14 04:46 PM
    I got lucky and bought mine off of Ebay from a woman who won a Q10 in a raffle at a Verizon store for $375. I don't buy much at all from Ebay, so I'm always a little wary of sellers. Like one of the above posts said, look at the seller rating. A high rating usually means "trustworthy". Good luck!

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    02-11-14 05:15 PM
    I got lucky and bought mine off of Ebay from a woman who won a Q10 in a raffle at a Verizon store for $375. I don't buy much at all from Ebay, so I'm always a little wary of sellers. Like one of the above posts said, look at the seller rating. A high rating usually means "trustworthy". Good luck!

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    Yep, a lot of scammers out there. I hate ebay now, both as a seller and a buyer...

jamesharmeling likes this.
    02-11-14 06:38 PM
    I bought mine at Amazon cause I need an international unlocked to use it in my country Argentina.
    It works like charm , no problem at all. I updated the OS to leak 1925 and everything works fine too.
    Good luck
    02-11-14 10:23 PM
    I just purchased a Q10 on eBay myself. I did some research to get a handle on what the different sub-models are (Wikipedia has a great comparison chart of all 5) and would've gone with an unlocked SQN100-1 (AT&T) even though I'm on T-Mobile, but I was afraid (perhaps needlessly) that I'd be left without the correct band for 3G. Then I found a factory-sealed, T-Mobile- branded one for $360 and jumped on it. And I love it.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:24 PM
    Bought mine from Kijiji for just over $300. It was new and locked to my current carrier.

Q10 & 9900 on Bell Mobility
    02-11-14 10:31 PM
    I bought mine off eBay last week. I picked it up for $225 and it is like new. Came in the box with all original items. You just have to pay attention to the details on the phone to make sure it will work on your network and then be sure you are buying from someone with a good rating. Don't buy from new sellers. It's not worth the risk. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 07:05 AM
    Oh, and just a note, 90% is NOT a good rating. Stick with at least 99%, or try for 100% only. Even with 99% or 98% READ the actual negative reviews and make sure you don't see reviews talking about how the seller misrepresents his/her merchandise, like listing as new but the buyer received an obviously used product and stuff like that.

cwbcpa likes this.
    02-12-14 10:14 AM
    Oh, and just a note, 90% is NOT a good rating. Stick with at least 99%, or try for 100% only. Even with 99% or 98% READ the actual negative reviews and make sure you don't see reviews talking about how the seller misrepresents his/her merchandise, like listing as new but the buyer received an obviously used product and stuff like that.

Great advice.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 12:20 PM

Really great advice everyone, thank you

Ken
    02-12-14 12:35 PM
    A very obvious plus that I would like to point out is that you won't have all the carrier branding on the device's exterior.

Also, some people on the forums have reported on their unlocked devices that they receive updates before people on locked phones. I've only seen this occasionally.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    02-12-14 10:37 PM