I've seen a few threads about this and whether or not a 64 GB microSDXC card can be used on a Q10 with some mixed replies.

Anyway - I took the plunge and decided to buy one and give it a try and... yes it works if you follow some very simple rules.

These are some tips I have - absorb what is useful, your mileage may vary, use at your own risk, your home is at risk if you do not keep up mortgage payments or another loan secured on it...

Here is what I did...

Step 1
    Copied all files on my existing 32 GB class 4 micro SD card to my Mac.
    Note the amount of items is shown as 4,003. That is going to come in handy later to work out whether it has been successful or not.

Step 2
    Take a shiny new 64 GB class 10 microSDXC card:

Step 3
    Remove the old micro SD card and insert the new 64 GB card.
    You will note that the Q10 does NOT recognise the new card has been inserted:

Step 4
    Use the Q10 to format the card you have just put in to the device.
    This is found in System Settings / Storage and access:

Step 5
    Format the card using the option there.

Step 6
    You can now see that the Q10 recognises the card:

Step 7
    Copy all the items from the folder you made on your Mac to the Q10 by plugging the Q10 into the Mac and using the normal file system on the Mac. You don't need to use BlackBerry link for this - I just did it from the micro USB cable and Finder on the Mac.
    The Q10 will set up its own folders on the card when it formats it. (Photos / Music / Books etc - all standard folders the Q10 creates when it formats a card).

So, I copied from the existing folders into the new folders first.

Then I copied across the user created folders I had made from my Mac's copy of my original 32 GB card.

If you have a lot of data - go away and grab a coffee while it is doing this. Mine took about an hour to copy everything across.

It then looked like this:

Step 8
    Check that all the files have been copied by getting the information from the folders on your Q10:

Ahhh... 4,003 items - that is the number I was looking for as it matches the number of items in my original copy that I made on the Mac.

Obviously the number of items will depend on well... how many items you're copying :-)

Step 9
    Check to make sure everything works.
    Are all your KOBO books there?
    Is your music player still able to play your music?
    All happy?
    Digital Rights Management Content will most likely NOT work after you have done this.
    No surprise there, that is what DRM is there for - to stop you copying files...
    I lost my episode of Doctor Who...

Step 10
    Do not fear, if you got the video from BlackBerry World like I did - just log in and download it again:

Yes, it works but the Q10 won't let me screen shot a DRM video to show you - hey ho, I guess that's copyright folks...

There you have it.

One Q10 with oodles of storage. Oh, and the new card is FAST too - much faster than my class 4.

Smiles all 'round :-)

Hope you found that useful... use at your own risk entirely.

All the best,

Harry
    10-31-13 01:56 PM
    Looks like exactly what I did.
    I can vouch it works. Never had any digital content with copy wright issue to worry about but good to mention that.
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    10-31-13 02:08 PM
    Same as the Z10 Process then (except the Dr. Who video) Been working with that exact card (ok, well YOU have that exact card, but the same VERSION of that card...you get my point) since February 5 with no issues (other than videos over 4GB - I think that's an NTFS/FAT32 issue).
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    10-31-13 03:04 PM
    I'll take your class 4 card lol

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 04:59 PM
    I'll take your class 4 card lol

Posted via CB10
    Haha! Ahhh... that's either going back in the 8800 or into my digital camera with an adapter - sorry ;-)
    10-31-13 07:09 PM
    Do you have 10.2?

My z10 loaner took the 64 gb card right away. Was hoping to have my q10 back when I got the card but it arrived today so I popped it into the z10 and it worked right away.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:03 PM
    Do you have 10.2?

My z10 loaner took the 64 gb card right away. Was hoping to have my q10 back when I got the card but it arrived today so I popped it into the z10 and it worked right away.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm... interesting - I wonder why the Z10 recognises it off the bat? Yes, I am running 10.2 official release on my Q10.
    10-31-13 11:36 PM
    The 64 gig one they sell here appears to be class one

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 04:18 PM
    Hmmm... you should be able to get the same card as I did wherever you are I think?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 05:40 PM
    So I got my Q10 back. It said something about the card being formatted on another device and being unreadable, but when I went into File Manager, it worked as expected and I was able to write to the card.

Not really sure how or why, but I'm happy about that.

Now my device restore didn't go well, lost all my "new" BBM contacts and groups when I ran the restore. Wiped my device and got my BBM contacts back. Another glitch I have to figure out.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:33 PM
    I seem to have problems after taking my card out and reinserting it. It asks me to reformat each time.

Not sure of the solution, but it's scary to think that everything could disappear that easy.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-13 11:38 PM
    Just to follow up on this again, the eBay card I bought was verified fake by Kingston, so any experience I had may not reflect what happens with a real card.

Posted via CB10
    Harry_III_UK and Cranky like this.
    11-16-13 11:08 PM
    How much did u pay for the 64? I am watching the sales and only the 32 seems to go on sale everywhere every two weeks or so

Q10 running10.2.1.1055 leak and loving it!
    11-16-13 11:22 PM
    I paid about $45 US for a fake (that failed quickly).

Considering I may have a few weeks of pictures and videos on the card at any time (that haven yet been backed up), the extra $15 is a tiny price to buy a retail card at a store from a decent manufacturer.

I've seen 32's as cheap as $20 for no name brands.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-13 11:39 PM
    Maybe I should get a larger one too.
    TUTORIAL - How to use a 64 GB microSDXC card on your Q10-img_00000078.png

Leaked 10.2.1. Couldn't resist
    11-17-13 12:20 AM
    Off topic but is there a noticeable speed difference between the Ultra and Extreme cards...or it just in the benchmarks?
    Last edited by mhw100; 11-17-13 at 01:37 AM.
    11-17-13 01:18 AM
    How much did u pay for the 64? I am watching the sales and only the 32 seems to go on sale everywhere every two weeks or so
    I paid about GBP 75.00 for the 64 Gig card.
    11-17-13 01:28 AM
    Off topic but is there an noticable difference between the Ultra and Extreme cards...or it just in the benchmarks?
    I haven't tried the "Ultra" card - just the "Extreme" card.

I always wonder about this stuff too - I mean, is the Q10's data bus capable of supporting the "Extreme" card to a point where you would really notice a difference as a user?

Sandisc say: microSD Cards from SanDisk for Business and Consumer
    Ultra = speed up to 30MB/s (Mega BYTES per second)
    Extreme = speed up to 80/50MB/s** read/write speed (Mega BYTES per second)
    They don't seem to speed rate their standard cards

So, say you have set your Q10 to save camera pictures to the card, and you take a picture that is 5MB in size and assuming the Q10's data bus can run at the speed necessary to support the card then maths says it will save the file in:

5 / 30 = 0.16 of a second on an Ultra card
    5 / 50 = 0.10 of a second on an Extreme card

Are you going to notice the difference of 0.06 of a second?

Maybe if you're taking pictures on a digital camera in RAW and you're producing 50MB files each time you click the shutter - but at the image size the Q10's camera produces I would think the difference is slight.

The Mac uses USB 2. USB 2 has a data throughput up to 280Mb/s (Mega BITS per second)
    280Mb (Mega BITS) is 35MB (Mega BYTES) (8 BITS in 1 BYTE) - Convert megabit [Mb] <?> megabyte [MB] ? Common Unit Converters ? Units of Information and Data Storage ? Compact Calculator

So, assuming all is running really well and the Mac is giving a full 35MB/s under USB 2 - the Extreme will still perform faster but I don't think it would be THAT much faster.

Say you want to transfer 100MB of data - you'd get:

The Ultra would max out at its rated capacity of 30MB/s even though the USB 2 is capable of running at 35MB/s so it would take:
    100 / 30 = 3.33 seconds to transfer 100MB

The Extreme would be able to utilise the full 35MB/s transfer rate of USB 2 so:
    100 / 35 = 2.86 seconds to transfer 100MB

Of course, all this is just theoretical "in a perfect world" stuff. Like those physics problems at school when you start to write "assume friction is negligible..." ;-)

Of course, copying 1 x 100MB file is going to be faster than copying 100 x 1MB files as the device doesn't have to keep being told to stop that file, create a new one, call it this name etc etc. I don't think I've ever managed to transfer 100MB in 2.86 seconds!

Certainly reading the card on my Mac when the card is in my Q10 and the Q10 is connected to the Mac over USB 2 is SLOW. Even with the "Extreme" card it is several seconds before the Mac shows the contents of some folders on the card. I would try taking it out of the Q10 and putting it into the Mac directly and see if that is faster - but for the rare occasions I need to work on the data on the card it just isn't worth the hassle factor for me.

Anyway - I'd be interested to hear what anyone else has experienced with data transfer rates.

I asked this before, but the thread didn't get too far:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...can-go-832631/

However, I would say that using the Extreme card in my Q10 has caused ZERO battery drains. It has not impacted on the great battery life of my Q10 at all.

Currently running the official Vodafone UK releases of:
    Software Release 10.2.0.429
    OS Version 10.2.0.1803

Harry
    Last edited by Harry_III_UK; 11-17-13 at 02:33 AM.
    mhw100 likes this.
    11-17-13 02:14 AM
    I have all the music, but have to go to file manager to find it, I need it to play through the music ap so i can sort and shuffle and so on...cant find any info on this.
    11-17-13 06:08 AM
    I have all the music, but have to go to file manager to find it, I need it to play through the music ap so i can sort and shuffle and so on...cant find any info on this.
    I'm not really sure what your question is. Your music files should just play through the music app that comes with the Q10 providing those files are in a format that the music app will recognise, such as MP3.
    11-17-13 06:13 AM
    I paid about GBP 75.00 for the 64 Gig card.
    Here in Canada Best Buy has the Lexar class 10 card on sale for 59.99 CDN.
    11-17-13 07:22 AM
    Just picked up a Sandisk 64 Ultra and after formatting the device wants to download a device driver...which of course nothing downloads. Seems to be a fail. Any ideas?
    11-17-13 02:44 PM
    Just picked up a Lexar 64GB microSDXC class 10 for $20 at Office Depot. My Q says downloading driver... and nothing. Reboot, try again, nothing. Won't format or recognize the new card.

Running 10.2.1.1055 leak (which is fantastic btw).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 03:24 PM
    Just picked up a Sandisk 64 Ultra and after formatting the device wants to download a device driver...which of course nothing downloads. Seems to be a fail. Any ideas?
    Hmmm... odd... as you can see from the screen shots above that didn't happen to my Extreme card...

Do you mean after formatting it in the BlackBerry the BlackBerry wants to download a device driver - or the PC wants to download a device driver? (I'm assuming you're using a PC?).

If the problem is with the PC - then are you using an SDXC compatible reader (the one that came with the card rather than the one you may already have in your PC that may not be SDXC compatible)?
    11-17-13 05:04 PM
    11-17-13 05:24 PM
33 12