Really? I was just about to post a similar question as the OP and saw this thread. Then I saw your comment...

I have a HTC One and have outgrown it, due to the time spent rooting it and installing various ROMs, and I just got off the phone with Sprint to use my upgrade to get the Q10. I have a 9930 sitting in my drawer that I truly miss and was hoping for the Q10 to bring those 9930 memories back- with added LTE (the only thing I thought was wrong with the 9930, btw).

I don't know, your comment has me thinking hard right now. Maybe I should save my upgrade and just reactivate my 9930 until the Q20
    If you owned a HTC One why not go for Z30? It will not disappoint you.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-29-14 01:37 AM
    If you owned a HTC One why not go for Z30? It will not disappoint you.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I found out I'm not a huge touchscreen fan for phones. I miss my hardware buttons, a lot.
    But most important is that I currently have 3 smartphones with Sprint with unlimited data @$165/mo. total. I don't want to lose that.
    03-29-14 02:06 AM
    I found out I'm not a huge touchscreen fan for phones. I miss my hardware buttons, a lot.
    But most important is that I currently have 3 smartphones with Sprint with unlimited data @$165/mo. total. I don't want to lose that.
    But if you have never used bb10 touch keyboard you should also give it a try.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-29-14 02:15 AM
    I tried it one day on the Z10 when they were first released. I typed some things on it in the store, but I wasn't blown away. I have a Playbook and the word suggestions were shown across the top of the keyboard, but on the Z10 they were shown randomly above certain letters in the on-screen keyboard. I preferred how the Playbook did it. Is it the same now?

Also I think it's a moot point for me... I really miss those buttons. Put it this way, I was watching a show and the person made a call with his old BB Bold and when he hung up he just pressed the button (part of "the belt" actually). I actually rewound that part of the show a few times and sighed in depression... I really miss being able to do that. That was the sign that told me I miss my Bold.

On a side note, I have a feeling I will be canceling the Q10 order - all I want is 4G and free tethering. That's it. The Q10 is capable of 4G, but not free tethering. I know because I just spent the last 90 minutes looking on the internet. I can make an argument that Sprint's 4G coverage sucks so I might as well go back to my 3G 9930 that has Tether.com and Tetherbridge working. I'd be better off doing that than getting 4G on the Q10 with no free tethering. I refuse to pay a carrier for tethering, which i do quite a bit. I've been doing it since before tether was a word (my Treo days). It's my data to use, that's the way I see it.

Sorry, just venting. So since I bought the Q10 I'll wait to get it and I might just love it despite no free tethering - unless someone knows something that I don't (hint hint)
    blee4 likes this.
    03-29-14 03:05 AM
    Q10 Indeed.
    03-29-14 09:38 AM
    On a side note, I have a feeling I will be canceling the Q10 order - all I want is 4G and free tethering. That's it. The Q10 is capable of 4G, but not free tethering. I know because I just spent the last 90 minutes looking on the internet.

Sorry, just venting. So since I bought the Q10 I'll wait to get it and I might just love it despite no free tethering - unless someone knows something that I don't (hint hint)
    • Did you find out if this is just with the Sprint version or the unlocked GSM version as well? I plan to buy mine from the Blackberry shop.
    • Do you know if it will do both Bluetooth and USB tethering like the iPhone? Hope these are still valid.
      http://bit.ly/1hlk0qd
      http://bit.ly/1hJwDI1

I'm using my iPhone tethered to my mbp right now and I just love how seamless the integration is... plug in the iPhone and it knows to auto tether with the mbp no dialogues to click no settings to change it just works. I believe it works the same with windows as long as you have iTunes installed.
    Last edited by blee4; 03-29-14 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Added links to tethering instructions
    03-29-14 09:56 AM

I'm using my iPhone tethered to my mbp right now and I just love how seamless the integration is... plug in the iPhone and it knows to auto tether with the mbp no dialogues to click no settings to change it just works. I believe it works the same with windows as long as you have iTunes installed.
    I really don't want to lose tethering. But if I recall the steps above only work when PDAnet or tetherbridge was running on my 9930. Tether.com needed the tether app to run on the desktop. My Sprint plan does not include tethering, but with those apps the steps you provided links to work just fine on my 9930. I'm afraid they won't work on a Q10 with no tethering plan. There is no tether.com equivalent app for BB10.
    03-29-14 11:45 AM
    I really don't want to lose tethering. But if I recall the steps above only work when PDAnet or tetherbridge was running on my 9930. Tether.com needed the tether app to run on the desktop. My Sprint plan does not include tethering, but with those apps the steps you provided links to work just fine on my 9930. I'm afraid they won't work on a Q10 with no tethering plan. There is no tether.com equivalent app for BB10.
    I am not sure what market you are in but we had sprint and the network was so slow it was worthless for even looking anything up on the phone let alone tethering. Between that the roaming issues "lack of roaming" I should say, the extra they started charging for smartphones, and the lack of BlackBerry support we switched to att and have been much happier since. Our bill is cheaper, service is better, network is much much faster and we don't have to pay extra for tethering/hotspot usage. Verizon is similar price and speed wise so depending on your area you may want to look into switching

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 12:56 PM
    Really? I was just about to post a similar question as the OP and saw this thread. Then I saw your comment...

I have a HTC One and have outgrown it, due to the time spent rooting it and installing various ROMs, and I just got off the phone with Sprint to use my upgrade to get the Q10. I have a 9930 sitting in my drawer that I truly miss and was hoping for the Q10 to bring those 9930 memories back- with added LTE (the only thing I thought was wrong with the 9930, btw).

I don't know, your comment has me thinking hard right now. Maybe I should save my upgrade and just reactivate my 9930 until the Q20
    Hey its up to you man. All I am saying is that I miss the trackpad and belt. This Q is an awesome phone. It's great, more often than not it's better than the 9900. But like I said it feels like there is something missing from my 9900. I'm guessing it's the trackpad and belt.

Looking back, I would have waited and stayed on my 9900 if I knew BlackBerry was going to release the Q20. That's my two cents

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 01:05 PM
    Hey its up to you man. All I am saying is that I miss the trackpad and belt. This Q is an awesome phone. It's great, more often than not it's better than the 9900. But like I said it feels like there is something missing from my 9900. I'm guessing it's the trackpad and belt.

Looking back, I would have waited and stayed on my 9900 if I knew BlackBerry was going to release the Q20. That's my two cents

Posted via CB10
    I always get a laugh out of the people who say that it is a step backward to bring back the trackpad and physical buttons. There is a reason that legacy Bold devices are still outselling OS10 devices and that reason is that people want the buttons and trackpad. It is pretty evident that BlackBerry screwed up by stripping the Q10 of the trackpad/buttons otherwise why would they be releasing the Q20 and why would people still be choosing the old Bold over the OS10 phones?

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:41 PM
    I always get a laugh out of the people who say that it is a step backward to bring back the trackpad and physical buttons. There is a reason that legacy Bold devices are still outselling OS10 devices and that reason is that people want the buttons and trackpad. It is pretty evident that BlackBerry screwed up by stripping the Q10 of the trackpad/buttons otherwise why would they be releasing the Q20 and why would people still be choosing the old Bold over the OS10 phones?

Posted via CB10
    ...and with that said, I have just reactivated my Bold 9930 to replace my HTC One. I must say it is a huge downgrade in terms of technology and speed, however I much prefer a simpler lifestyle for my everyday "communications device." I have a tablet, a Dell Venue 8 Pro to be exact. For communications I don't think anything can beat a Blackberry. And for a tablet, I gave up my iPad mini for a true x86 device that's NOT slow. I'm set as far as mobility is concerned. (I use the Macbook Pro for real computing when necessary)
    The Bold 9930 will tide me over fine until the Q20 is released. I don't think I can live without the "belt" on a Q10. So once my Q10 arrives in the next few days I will give an update on my life without "the belt" or "free tethering," and WITH BB10.
    03-31-14 01:09 AM
    ...and with that said, I have just reactivated my Bold 9930 to replace my HTC One. I must say it is a huge downgrade in terms of technology and speed, however I much prefer a simpler lifestyle for my everyday "communications device." I have a tablet, a Dell Venue 8 Pro to be exact. For communications I don't think anything can beat a Blackberry. And for a tablet, I gave up my iPad mini for a true x86 device that's NOT slow. I'm set as far as mobility is concerned. (I use the Macbook Pro for real computing when necessary)
    The Bold 9930 will tide me over fine until the Q20 is released. I don't think I can live without the "belt" on a Q10. So once my Q10 arrives in the next few days I will give an update on my life without "the belt" or "free tethering," and WITH BB10.
    Well my Wife and I are long time BlackBerry users but a few years ago we decided to try android, well she lasted about 5-6 months before switching back to her torch and I lasted close to a year before switching back to my 9900 bold.

In the end what made us swap back to BlackBerry is that we were used to having phones that just worked and with android it just seemed like a constant battle with the phones.

We were looking to change carriers last fall and ended up on ATT. When we made the switch I went to the Q10 and she went to the Z10. At first I was not happy with the Q10 compared to the 9900 and in all reality I am still not 100% happy with the Q10. But overall OS10 is better than the legacy OS and as more updates/leaks are released they are slowly bringing back missed features from the legacy OS.

If I was still using 10.1 I would have probably went back to my 9900 but I have installed 10.2 leaks on both our phones and the Q10 is usable now but I will be getting the Q20 when it comes out without a doubt.

My Wife likes the Z10 but says she would much rather type on the Q10. The Z10 is better with android apps for sure though.

If you could pick up a Q10 cheap enough I think you would like it after a week or so of using it.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 07:11 PM
    I had my bold 9930 and upgraded to Q10. For a week I was missing my belt, hard button back, send and menu. However after a month, the gestures of the Q is really amazing, I begun to adapt to its flow and now I am enjoying this phone. If you like the gestures we use on Playbook, I'm sure you will enjoy the Q as well. This phone is awesome, fast UI, more leaks are coming, I'm on 10.2.2102 and so far so good. I will wait for Q20 and definitely get one.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    03-31-14 07:29 PM
    +100

I know exactly what you mean. Lately I have really been wanting to go back to my 9900 because of the simplicity of it, and I have been having battery issues with my Q. Personally I don't even use the browser unless I need to or I'm bored. Man I miss that bold...

Posted via CB10
    03-31-14 07:46 PM
    I am using two phones right now and I am happy with that using the Q10 as texting device and my iPhone 5S as media player. Just works for me but maybe better an iPad mini!

To answer your questions but that's for me. If you like to play games or some special apps that you use on a daily basis just forget it! You can make a test. Factory reset your iPhone and start using it and anytime you need an app download it! After two weeks you know these are your Daily apps

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 06:53 AM
    Well the main reasons not just that its because of compatibility and familiarity and price. Also remember that a lot of the phones people use in business and the
    Companies wont offer the os10devices for said reasons.

To each their own at first I thought it would matter but now I'm fine with no "toolbelt"

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 09:27 AM
    I was in the same boat. I was a previous BlackBerry user (9930) and made the switch to the 5s..... bad move. I hated the phone. The processor speed I find to be much better on the 5s - and aside from a couple apps - that's it! I have been using a Q10 now for about 1.5 weeks and it gets better everyday.... now that you can d/l android apps - that app void it getting filled. there are still a few lacking ones - but I have to say it's been a great move. I figure when the 20 comes out, I will just change over to that as well.... the ease of the operating system is just amazing - and the Keyboard!??!?! just awesome!

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 09:41 AM
    I was in the same boat. I was a previous BlackBerry user (9930) and made the switch to the 5s..... bad move. I hated the phone. The processor speed I find to be much better on the 5s - and aside from a couple apps - that's it! I have been using a Q10 now for about 1.5 weeks and it gets better everyday.... now that you can d/l android apps - that app void it getting filled. there are still a few lacking ones - but I have to say it's been a great move. I figure when the 20 comes out, I will just change over to that as well.... the ease of the operating system is just amazing - and the Keyboard!??!?! just awesome!

Posted via CB10
    The problem with android apps and the Q10 is that many apps just plain don't work. they will run but due to the screen size many are unusable because you can't navigate the screens that were designed for a full touch device. So don't count on getting your favorite apps to work on the Q10

Posted via CB10
    cleveland216 likes this.
    04-01-14 01:50 PM
    Don't get me started on the Playbook deal but let's see if I can answer all of your questions.

1. I have not used a Q5 so I can not give you advice; however, you can look into YouTube videos and searching the Q5/Q10 subforums here on CrackBerry. I would suggest sticking to the Q10, but that is nothing other than an uninformed opinion.

2. You should only wait for the Q20 if you really value the trackpad and the hardware functionality related to it, which I do. In my opinion, to steer away from uncertainties around the new product's specification, form, durability, and retail pricing, I would still opt for the Q10 if I wasn't already ready to wait another 6 months. If you are okay with the concept of a keyboard simply being attached onto BlackBerry OS 10 then you should be fine with a Q10. I would spend time with a retail demo to answer this question.
    http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...4459911449.jsp

3. You are limited to the number of apps available on the Q series and the way they are formated due to the square screen. The few apps are usually restricted by the developer either to the Z series for screen compatibility or the Q10 because it is a flagship device. Please do yourself a favor and look at BlackBerry World through a web browser to confirm availability of specific apps you need and set the filter near the login. Also, some Android APK apps will not render correctly hindering usage even if they install and load correctly on the Q series. If you notice a theme, it is the screen size being a trade off for the keyboard.

4. The battery will definitely get you through 16 to 30 hours depending on usage. If you use a data intensive application or continuous GPS do not expect the battery to last as long though, which is usually a given. Search the respective subforms for battery drain rate threads and screenshots. From my experience it is respectable overall. I will not compare the drain rate directly to legacy devices because that would be like apples and oranges.

5. I don't remember these details but I do believe BlackBerry 10 supports CalDev CardDev and will be fine supporting the email providers you mention. I don't know the details related to the type of support. You can always find more detail in the BlackBerry KB or support pages to cross check.

6. I don't know.

7. Skype and BBM is what I use.

8. BlackBerry 10 does not support OpenVPN or PPTP yet. I am not sure about L2TP. IIRC, IPSec is there but you will need to check the profile details.

9. You can use Nobex for podcasts and Scan to Text or PaperPusher Scanner for scanning pages with your camera. IM+ Pro is Android available through BB World for Jabber and AOL. Most of the apps you listed do come native. I am not sure about an SSH client. Premium DocsToGo is preinstalled on all BlackBerry devices since OS 7. You can use BeMaps 10 Pro or get Google Maps through indirect methods. The only apps which you will have to install separately are Yelp, PayPal, and your banking app plus Google Maps if desired. (See Amazon App Store or Snap for details on this.)

10. The Q10 has some units which have double typing issues. There is a running thread on that here in the Q10 subforum which I suggest you look at. It does not happen to everyone. Also, some Q10 units have loose battery/battery door so the device reboots on impact when the battery momentarily disconnects from the contacts. Again not all users are reportings this problem. You can fix this with a small padding between the door and the battery.

Special Note: BlackBerry Bridge for PIM data is not the same as it was with BBOS but you can still bridge the data connection.
    Last edited by mrskycar; 04-03-14 at 09:12 AM. Reason: days to hours
    blee4 likes this.
    04-03-14 08:46 AM
    Thanks for your detailed reply
    How's the BlackBerry maps app? Is it on par with Apple Maps, I don't need all the bells and whistles of Google Maps.
    As long as you have the exact address, are going by car, and don't need to search for your destination, you can't go wrong with the pre-installed Maps.
    Last edited by mrskycar; 04-03-14 at 09:47 AM.
    04-03-14 09:36 AM
    The z30's battery life is better then the q10? I was pretty sure it's the other way around by a significant margin.

Posted via CB10
    Z30's battery life is better (and bigger)--among the best in the industry. You're thinking of the Z10 vs Q10.
    04-03-14 09:57 AM
    I have a Q10 from Verizon here doing nothing that's basically brand new if you'd like to trade. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Gary
    04-09-14 03:40 PM
    I have a Q10 from Verizon here doing nothing that's basically brand new if you'd like to trade. Let me know.

Thanks,
    Gary
    I actually just took the plunge and bought a Q10 shopblackberry.com has a sale going on. Wish me luck :-)
    anon(1733) likes this.
    04-09-14 04:00 PM
    I actually just took the plunge and bought a Q10 shopblackberry.com has a sale going on. Wish me luck :-)
    You don't need luck. You'll love it.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 09:50 PM
    Don't get me started on the Playbook deal but let's see if I can answer all of your questions.

1. I have not used a Q5 so I can not give you advice; however, you can look into YouTube videos and searching the Q5/Q10 subforums here on CrackBerry. I would suggest sticking to the Q10, but that is nothing other than an uninformed opinion.

2. You should only wait for the Q20 if you really value the trackpad and the hardware functionality related to it, which I do. In my opinion, to steer away from uncertainties around the new product's specification, form, durability, and retail pricing, I would still opt for the Q10 if I wasn't already ready to wait another 6 months. If you are okay with the concept of a keyboard simply being attached onto BlackBerry OS 10 then you should be fine with a Q10. I would spend time with a retail demo to answer this question.
    What makes my BlackBerry 10 device different from other BlackBerry devices? - How To - BlackBerry Q5 Smartphone - 10.1

3. You are limited to the number of apps available on the Q series and the way they are formated due to the square screen. The few apps are usually restricted by the developer either to the Z series for screen compatibility or the Q10 because it is a flagship device. Please do yourself a favor and look at BlackBerry World through a web browser to confirm availability of specific apps you need and set the filter near the login. Also, some Android APK apps will not render correctly hindering usage even if they install and load correctly on the Q series. If you notice a theme, it is the screen size being a trade off for the keyboard.

4. The battery will definitely get you through 16 to 30 hours depending on usage. If you use a data intensive application or continuous GPS do not expect the battery to last as long though, which is usually a given. Search the respective subforms for battery drain rate threads and screenshots. From my experience it is respectable overall. I will not compare the drain rate directly to legacy devices because that would be like apples and oranges.

5. I don't remember these details but I do believe BlackBerry 10 supports CalDev CardDev and will be fine supporting the email providers you mention. I don't know the details related to the type of support. You can always find more detail in the BlackBerry KB or support pages to cross check.

6. I don't know.

7. Skype and BBM is what I use.

8. BlackBerry 10 does not support OpenVPN or PPTP yet. I am not sure about L2TP. IIRC, IPSec is there but you will need to check the profile details.

9. You can use Nobex for podcasts and Scan to Text or PaperPusher Scanner for scanning pages with your camera. IM+ Pro is Android available through BB World for Jabber and AOL. Most of the apps you listed do come native. I am not sure about an SSH client. Premium DocsToGo is preinstalled on all BlackBerry devices since OS 7. You can use BeMaps 10 Pro or get Google Maps through indirect methods. The only apps which you will have to install separately are Yelp, PayPal, and your banking app plus Google Maps if desired. (See Amazon App Store or Snap for details on this.)

10. The Q10 has some units which have double typing issues. There is a running thread on that here in the Q10 subforum which I suggest you look at. It does not happen to everyone. Also, some Q10 units have loose battery/battery door so the device reboots on impact when the battery momentarily disconnects from the contacts. Again not all users are reportings this problem. You can fix this with a small padding between the door and the battery.

Special Note: BlackBerry Bridge for PIM data is not the same as it was with BBOS but you can still bridge the data connection.
    Holy Crap... I just read your post and it's not instilling confidence, it almost sounds like the older BB OS 7 is better.
    04-09-14 11:15 PM
58 123