I haven't used a Blackberry since the 8700 which was a fantastic device my favorite hardware feature was the mechanical scroll wheel that allowed you to read an entire message with one hand, that and it was indestructible. So as you can probably tell I haven't used a BB in a while unless you count the PlayBook, which I own and wish they'd keep supporting .

I'd like to give BB another shot, I don't play many games on my iPhone it's mainly a productivity device. I have a few questions regarding the current line of BB devices.

1. Does anyone have any comparisons between the Q10 and Q5 keyboard, I like the Q5 because the keys offer more spacing.
    2. Should I wait for the Q20 because it looks like they're making big changes to the hardware layout i.e. bringing back buttons and the track pad.?
    3. Are you limited to the apps based on the device for example touch screen Z10 vs. keyboard Q10/Q5?
    4. Is the battery life comparable to the old 8700 (I never had to remember to charge it, it just never died on me)
    5. Does it support CalDav, CardDav for contacts and calendars, I don't run a BES or Exchange Server so I need it to talk to Yahoo.com/Outlook.com/Gmail/Imap.
    6. Can you re-map email folders Trash/Sent/Draft, with the builtin email client? Every email service seems to does it differently I don't want duplicate folders.
    7. If I want to video/audio chat with family overseas what are my options? They're all on Macs and iOS devices.
    8. Is VPN protocols like LT2P/PPTP/IPSec/OpenVPN built into BB 10?
    9. How many of these apps are available on the Q10/Q5? Also please state if they are native or Android, I'd really really really like to avoid side loaded Android apps.
      • Facebook
      • LinkedIn
      • Yelp
      • Paypal
      • Document scanner that uses your camera, ScannerPro on iOS
      • Podcast Player
      • WhatsApp
      • Online banking apps for American banks
      • An SSH client.
      • A chat client that supports Jabber, AOL
      • Decent mapping software for navigation (a Google Maps/Apple Maps) replacement.
      • Some sort of document viewer (If I recall Blackberry owns DocumentsToGo)
    10. Are there any known hardware defects I should be aware of for the Q10/Q5?

Also anyone who has done this (switch from iOS to a BB device) your stories are appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by blee4; 03-26-14 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added another question.
    03-26-14 04:00 PM
    You should probably go to the Q10/Q5 forum and take a look around and see if your questions are answered there in different threads. Information on sideloaded apks and installation of Android apps is prevalent if you search.
    03-26-14 04:10 PM
    Why do people disregard the Z10 and Z30? Don't count them out. Try them all and see which is better.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 04:14 PM
    Why do people disregard the Z10 and Z30? Don't count them out. Try them all and see which is better.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I like hardware keyboards, and I don't see an the advantage of the Z10/Z30 over say the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S4/5 or even the HTC One... Unless you can say that the Z10/Z30 has substantially better battery life but even than I think the battery life is still better on the Q10/Q5 because of less screen real-estate.
    03-26-14 04:25 PM
    I like hardware keyboards, and I don't see an the advantage of the Z10/Z30 over say the iPhone, Samsung Galaxy S4/5 or even the HTC One... Unless you can say that the Z10/Z30 has substantially better battery life but even than I think the battery life is still better on the Q10/Q5 because of less screen real-estate.
    Best touch keyboard in the market and Z30 battery life is substantially better. I think Q10 might be close to Z30 in terms of battery life.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 04:39 PM
    You should probably go to the Q10/Q5 forum and take a look around and see if your questions are answered there in different threads. Information on sideloaded apks and installation of Android apps is prevalent if you search.
    There's a forum dedicated to comparing the Q10 Vs. Q5? I didn't see it, can you please link it.
    03-26-14 04:53 PM
    Definitely wait for the Q20 if you really like your legacy BB's, that is if you don't mind waiting another year for blackberry to release it. Don't get me wrong this Q10 is great but it feels like there is something missing. Idk, I have been thinking of switching back to my 9900....

Posted via CB10
    imcurved likes this.
    03-26-14 04:54 PM
    Definitely wait for the Q20 if you really like your legacy BB's, that is if you don't mind waiting another year for blackberry to release it. Don't get me wrong this Q10 is great but it feels like there is something missing. Idk, I have been thinking of switching back to my 9900....

Posted via CB10
    I guarantee that you will run right back to Q10 because of other problems. The slowness, the browser, etc.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Zolti likes this.
    03-26-14 04:59 PM
    iOS user here for over 4 years, before that BB user for 4 years. iOS is for the consumer looking for bells and whistles, BB, pure business messaging based. I got a Q10 because of the keyboard, hate virtual keyboards.

My advice, buy a Q10 and try it out. Hold onto your iPhone and use it side by side with the BB on WiFi. You will soon learn that iOS isn't what you want and BB is. Apps, I have all I need and if I really need a app, I can do at home on the iPad.

Hope this helps a little.
    hlg8888 and blee4 like this.
    03-26-14 07:40 PM
    I guarantee that you will run right back to Q10 because of other problems. The slowness, the browser, etc.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You may be right but I was just using my old 9900, showing my mom how to use it and I miss the damn thing. Feels way better in the hand, the keyboard is better in my opinion, and most importantly it has a trackpad with the belt. If only the battery was better on the 9930...

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 08:01 PM
    You may be right but I was just using my old 9900, showing my mom how to use it and I miss the damn thing. Feels way better in the hand, the keyboard is better in my opinion, and most importantly it has a trackpad with the belt. If only the battery was better on the 9930...

Posted via CB10
    Maybe Q20 will have a similar feeling. I wonder if they will curve the keyboard or just the same style as Q10

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-26-14 08:07 PM
    I dunno how anyone can not like how the Q10 feels in hand but I guess everyone is different

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 09:28 PM
    I love my Q10. When I hold the iPhone 5s it feels to light and doesn't even feel like a cool device anymore.
    Thalakar and Cross like this.
    03-27-14 06:40 PM
    Best touch keyboard in the market and Z30 battery life is substantially better. I think Q10 might be close to Z30 in terms of battery life.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    The z30's battery life is better then the q10? I was pretty sure it's the other way around by a significant margin.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:50 PM
    You can pick up a used Q10 pretty reasonably priced. I say pick one up and try it out

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:18 PM
    Firstly if you need all touch then go for z30. Its a great phone. But if you want a keyboard then definitely go for Q10. I shifted from z10 to q10 just for keyboard. If you do buy a keyboard phone at time you would want to have the belt that is coming in q20 as i also have pressed the screen thinking i am using a bold 2 but eventually after two days you shall love the Q10

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 01:21 AM
    Listen to me and wait for the Q20 also the iphone is not silo bad at all in comparison with the current BlackBerry 10's so wait for the q20 maybe its better for specs and other things now keep on iphone till they release q20

Posted via CB10
    imcurved likes this.
    03-28-14 01:41 AM
    I owned an iPhone but gave up after a couple of months because I disliked the typing and I wasted a lot of time deleting mistyped letters and words then repeating them. I had to go back to a physical keyboard, which is a lot faster and more precise, resulting in more efficient messaging.

I currently own a Q10. I've had it for about a month and it does have good battery life. I got around 12-14 hours on a single charge with light to moderate texting and short but frequent internet use, and the battery sign hadn't even turned yellow yet. If I had let the battery drain and didn't plug the charger, I think it could have lasted another hour or two.

As for the apps, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, YouTube, and Adobe Reader come with the phone. I installed WhatsApp and it works just fine.

Posted via CB10
    blee4 likes this.
    03-28-14 02:28 AM
    They have announced BBRY will keep trotting out new BBOS7 devices. Not sure if the Q20 will be BB10 or BBOS7. I was trying to decide same as you. In the end I decided on Q10 because I like the keyboard and the form factor. I read that the Q20 will be 3.5" which is a little too big if they are talking about another square screen. If they are talking about a portrait screen I might switch to the Q20 when it comes out. The other reason I got the Q10 is for the Android app capability which BBOS7 does not have. Yes I am a BlackBerry loyalist but I like my apps and don't want to have to carry two devices....
    blee4 likes this.
    03-28-14 07:51 AM
    They have announced BBRY will keep trotting out new BBOS7 devices. Not sure if the Q20 will be BB10 or BBOS7. I was trying to decide same as you. In the end I decided on Q10 because I like the keyboard and the form factor. I read that the Q20 will be 3.5" which is a little too big if they are talking about another square screen. If they are talking about a portrait screen I might switch to the Q20 when it comes out. The other reason I got the Q10 is for the Android app capability which BBOS7 does not have. Yes I am a BlackBerry loyalist but I like my apps and don't want to have to carry two devices....
    Really? Damn if BlackBerry released a current spec phone on os7 with the 9900 form factor I would pick one up in a heartbeat. The only thing I see wrong with the 9900 series is the slow 3G only internet browser, the bad battery, and like you said lack of apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 09:26 AM
    Have Q10 and Z30. Battery life doing same things is better on the Z30. Keyboard is a wash as the Q's can get double keystroke problems. I like the Z's keyboard better. Overall happiest with Z30. No issues. And best browser ever.
    03-28-14 09:44 AM
    Have Q10 and Z30. Battery life doing same things is better on the Z30. Keyboard is a wash as the Q's can get double keystroke problems. I like the Z's keyboard better. Overall happiest with Z30. No issues. And best browser ever.
    By double keystroke problem do you mean fat fingering it?
    03-28-14 03:47 PM
    As for the apps, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Foursquare, YouTube, and Adobe Reader come with the phone. I installed WhatsApp and it works just fine.
    Thanks for your detailed reply
    How's the BlackBerry maps app? Is it on par with Apple Maps, I don't need all the bells and whistles of Google Maps.
    Last edited by blee4; 03-28-14 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Added thanks
    03-28-14 03:51 PM

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Agreed with you, man.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    03-28-14 04:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    Really? I was just about to post a similar question as the OP and saw this thread. Then I saw your comment...

I have a HTC One and have outgrown it, due to the time spent rooting it and installing various ROMs, and I just got off the phone with Sprint to use my upgrade to get the Q10. I have a 9930 sitting in my drawer that I truly miss and was hoping for the Q10 to bring those 9930 memories back- with added LTE (the only thing I thought was wrong with the 9930, btw).

I don't know, your comment has me thinking hard right now. Maybe I should save my upgrade and just reactivate my 9930 until the Q20
    blee4 and JCE77 like this.
    03-29-14 01:23 AM
58 123