Hey there, I used to love my BB because I could simply access it via usb as a drive. I could swap files, photos, etc., easily transfer, y'know. But with Q10 it looks like I'm forced to use BlackBerry Link, which I don't want to do. Where's the old usb stick functionality? Gone?
    11-10-13 08:09 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

No, it's not gone. Are you not seeing your Q when you connect with USB?
    11-10-13 08:13 AM
    I use my Z10 as a usb drove all the time. In fact, I NEVER use link except to make a backup.
    On my work computer, I had to go into settings/storage and backup and toggle on USE MASS STORAGE
    11-10-13 08:13 AM
    I also use the mass-drive option of the Q10, basicly the only way I transfer files between my computer and my phone. I don't know though if it works when you don't have Link installed. If you do have it installed however, you're really not forced to use it in order to get the mass-storage mode working. Having said this, my computer has sometimes trouble connecting with the Q10, usually it works once I un- and replug it right away.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    11-10-13 08:35 AM
    Go under, settings - storage and access, scroll to the bottom and enable usb mass storage.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:32 AM
    Use mass storage if you can't install Link. If Link is installed, turn off mass storage mode and it will create drives for each of your storage media under My Computer > Network Location.

Mass storage mode locks out device access while it is connected. The Link method allows both the device and your computer to access the files simultaneously.
    11-10-13 09:53 AM
    To use it like legacy BlackBerries turn on Mass Storage.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 11:54 AM
    It works just fine without using Link for me.

Posted via CB10 from VZW Q10
    11-10-13 11:57 AM
    You guys are awesome. Mass storage needed to be turned on, but because I didn't have a media card installed, I didn't see the BlackBerry as a drive. I installed a card, but now I just have to find a way to transfer everything from the device onto the card. Because I still can't see anything that's on the device on the computer....
    11-11-13 08:02 AM
    You guys are awesome. Mass storage needed to be turned on, but because I didn't have a media card installed, I didn't see the BlackBerry as a drive. I installed a card, but now I just have to find a way to transfer everything from the device onto the card. Because I still can't see anything that's on the device on the computer....
    The native File Manager should do that nicely. Just go inside each individual folder (i.e., camera, documents, downloads, etc.) and long-hold on a file, then select "Select More". Once you select everything, hit Move and browse to the same folder on your SD card, then hit the Move button on the top bar.

BB10 will not give direct access to device storage. I believe this is for security reasons - the only access is through Link, which creates a network tunnel, preventing low-level access so you can't easily run forensic recovery tools.

EDIT: Also, if you have a WiFi network at home, you can enable WiFi file sharing and gain access to both device and SD media. Go to Settings, Storage and Access, and toggle "Access using Wi-Fi" to On. Scroll down some more and you should see a button called "Identification on Network" - below that is the network name of your BlackBerry. If you don't like it, you can hit the button to change it.

Once that is enabled and a password is set, open My Computer, hit the address bar, and type "\\[Your Network Name]". The direction of the slashes are important here.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-11-13 11:41 AM
    The native File Manager should do that nicely. Just go inside each individual folder (i.e., camera, documents, downloads, etc.) and long-hold on a file, then select "Select More". Once you select everything, hit Move and browse to the same folder on your SD card, then hit the Move button on the top bar.

BB10 will not give direct access to device storage. I believe this is for security reasons - the only access is through Link, which creates a network tunnel, preventing low-level access so you can't easily run forensic recovery tools.

EDIT: Also, if you have a WiFi network at home, you can enable WiFi file sharing and gain access to both device and SD media. Go to Settings, Storage and Access, and toggle "Access using Wi-Fi" to On. Scroll down some more and you should see a button called "Identification on Network" - below that is the network name of your BlackBerry. If you don't like it, you can hit the button to change it.

Once that is enabled and a password is set, open My Computer, hit the address bar, and type "\\[Your Network Name]". The direction of the slashes are important here.
    My favorite way to access files on my Z10 from my PC (while RFA is awesome for access in the opposite direction!)

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 12:26 PM
    Thanks CB10. Super informative and much appreciated...
    11-12-13 12:12 PM
    Awesome. Thanks for this. Perfect.
    11-12-13 12:13 PM