2 months in with a Q10 and I still miss the trackpad.
    When using the remember app - editing is a nightmare without a trackpad.
    When using the otherwise excellent browser - clicking on links - arghh.
    Cut and pasting contact details - arrgh.

Strikes me as the Q10 still needs a trackpad, it has a usb socket -BlackBerry could provide an optional back cover with a trackpad centred where the BlackBerry logo is. This way you could control trackpad with indexfinger whilst thumb typing.
    QNX playbook os allows the use of BlackBerry bridge to control a mouse pointer why not also bb10 only by more conventional usb pointing device means.
    The add on would work like this- remove back cover and fit an attachment into the usb socket which fits snugly round the back of phone with contact points like those for nfc. Place over alternate back cover which would have a thick vertical strip down centre of phone with a trackpad in a central recess. At base of central strip on rear cover would be a micro usb for charging and PC connection - this would be perfectly achievable - usb protocol allows one usb to become 2 or more.
    By selling such an add on BlackBerry could judge from sales whether they did right thing removing trackpad and know whether to sell future devices with trackpad. They could retain customers used to the trackpad who see a phone without trackpad no better than android. There would be a benefit in any os mods to support usb pointing devices because if they want to go extrenal dumb screen support or use BlackBerry browser/apps etc on a TV screen from phone then the current no pointing device methods just don't work unless only supporting touchscreen device. BlackBerry would make money and retain customers. I'd pay for such an addon. Although it may sound a bit strange at first once used to it I think a trackpad on rear of phone would be even more effective than front.

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland likes this.
    08-14-13 07:07 AM
    Can you say "beating a dead horse"? Do you know how many times threads like this have been posted?
    08-14-13 07:16 AM
    Don't beat seabiscuit anymore. He's almost dead...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:23 AM
    He's been dead for awhile, didn't you get the email?

Don't beat seabiscuit anymore. He's almost dead...

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:25 AM
    Can you say "beating a dead horse"? Do you know how many times threads like this have been posted?
    I like it though. Keep reminding blackberry how much they messed this up. Someone made this decision to remove it, and it was a very poor one.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 08:11 AM
    I like it though. Keep reminding blackberry how much they messed this up. Someone made this decision to remove it, and it was a very poor one.

Posted via CB10
    Just because some vocal users have issues without it doesn't make it a poor decision

I get along great without my trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    08-14-13 08:22 AM
    The trackpad on the back suggestion sounds like a nice idea. Editing text without a trackpad is incredibly frustrating, but a trackpad would deduct even more space from the screen which is not worth it.
    08-14-13 09:14 AM
    I'm getting by with the phone for now...seem to like it more every day even after almost 9 weeks, but in my opinion is was a mistake not to include some type of precision pointing device. Even a stylus would help. Fingers are just too FAT. Especially as our phone are morphing into computers, the removal of the trackpad UI is baffling to me. It only makes sense if you figure BlackBerry is trying to become more like Apple. Ugh.
    08-14-13 10:26 AM
    Yes,Yes.Yes if Q had trackpad I would have Q as it is still have 9900 and thinking of picking up a 9810 while I still can.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    08-14-13 10:31 AM
    Yes,Yes.Yes if Q had trackpad I would have Q as it is still have 9900 and thinking of picking up a 9810 while I still can.
    Plus one, if it hasn't got a trackpad and physical buttons it's not for me.

I love my 9900 but would have gone for a Q if it had those features.

As it is, my next BB will be another new 9900
    08-14-13 10:45 AM
    Just because some vocal users have issues without it doesn't make it a poor decision

I get along great without my trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and some people liked the New Coke Cola formula - remember that? - only some vocal people spoke out and said what was blatenty obvoius. Coke Cola were sensible and listened to thier customers.
    What I was suggesting is that a trackpad could be an optional extra, if you don't need it you don't need to buy it.
    Whilst Android and IPhone don't have trackpad there's a certain type of user who demands a trackpad. Look how many people there are who regret ditching their bold 9930/9900s

Posted via CB10
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    08-14-13 11:17 AM
    . Look how many people there are who regret ditching their bold 9930/9900s

Posted via CB10
    Or haven't bought a BB10 device because of it.
    08-14-13 11:24 AM
    Here we go again. Another forum thread about the obsolete old school trackpad. Seriously?! Learn to live without it. I certainly don't need it, and yet I used it all of the time when I had my 9320 Curve. The Q, however, does not need a trackpad, and the design of the phone looks so much better without one!

Posted via Q10
    08-14-13 11:36 AM
    Missed the track pad for about five hours. Would not go back.

Posted via CB10
    chris8189 likes this.
    08-14-13 11:40 AM
    and the design of the phone looks so much better without one!
    Posted via Q10
    Style but not function.

Posted via CB10
    bobauckland and Legal Eagle like this.
    08-14-13 11:56 AM
    Style but not function.

Posted via CB10
    The phone functions perfectly well without a garish looking track pad.

Posted via Q10
    08-14-13 12:11 PM
    Phones becoming more like computers I guess there's such a variety of people using them, and using them differently. It seems to be true now that most people don't need a trackpad or a keybooard however there s still a sizable minority that need to access websites that aren't mobile friendly, that use their phones for research, writing notes, that later review those notes, that spend a lot of time away from a desk. People who really want a powerful mobile device with a trackpad.
    My original sugestion was that it would be entirely possible to offer a trackpad as an optional extra. I think the sugestion is feasable. I don't see how this sugestion makes me a luddite or why anyone else who agrees whith me should be dismissed as someone wo lives in the past. A trackpad is something some of us want and we'd like to continue the benefit it gives us. The way us trackpad fans see it - we see it as a productive feature of a productive device. Telling us we should get real and learn to live without a trackpad is like telling an icecream millionaire he should trade his icecream van in for a Ferarri. Doesn't this stupid man get it, a Ferarri is way better than an ice cream van. But whatever you say he's going to stick with his icecream van............

Posted via CB10
    sulcopete and Legal Eagle like this.
    08-14-13 01:17 PM
    Smartphones for smart people...buy a Stylus...
    08-14-13 01:43 PM
    Trackpad on the back is a brill idea.
    Text selection is awful without some form of dependable text selection.
    To those saying grow up and get with the future, trackpads are obsolete, some would say the same about physical keyboards.
    A physical keyboard without a trackpad was always going to be a daft choice.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    08-14-13 01:54 PM
    It seems to be true now that most people don't need a trackpad or a keybooard however there s still a sizable minority that need to access websites that aren't mobile friendly, that use their phones for research, writing notes, that later review those notes, that spend a lot of time away from a desk. People who really want a powerful mobile device with a trackpad.
    My original sugestion was that it would be entirely possible to offer a trackpad as an optional extra. I think the sugestion is feasable.

Posted via CB10
    Most of the people that you mention that do research away from their desk, and use non-mobile friendly websites generally tend to use something called a....wait for it...laptop! I see them on the trains all of the time typing away, with their BlackBerry phones resting beside the laptop.

Secondly, you suggest an optional trackpad. The trackpad is a piece of hardware. Do you honestly think that is a 'feasible' decision, making such a piece of hardware optional? Wake up.

Oh, and I edited your post that you see above without the use of a trackpad, easily, on my Q10.

Posted via Q10
    08-14-13 01:56 PM
    It depends what OS your are on for text selecting/editing/deleting a letter/etc..

Some people say it's easier now with the 10.2 updates then it ever was in BBOS7. Some people are saying the same. Other people without the learning curve are having a hard time which is definitely the minority.

Personally I think it's easier. Instead of scrolling around the the screen I can drag the circle (as shown in my picture) anywhere into the document. For precision you just have to hit any angle of the circle to go a couple times etc.

This is coming from someone who use to hate touch screens and loved my BlackBerry since 2007. It just depends on your learning curve and if you can adapt/accept change because with the new updates it's actually the same or easier.

Hope this helped you out

Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000006.png
    Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000005.png
    Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000004.png

New docs to go, from a business/school perspective everything is easier about it ( amazing compared to BBOS)

Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000008.png
    Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000007.png
    Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000009.png
    Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000010.png

Remember kills memopad ( I've had the Z10 since launch and the Q10 since launch, I never liked it until I actually started playing with it a few weeks ago)

This is the new layout. Look at the evernote icon. I have an "Evernote" app on my computer and syncs seamlessly through my phone/computer when edited. Amazing for if you update you phone a lot or always have the app open on your computer to jott notes every now and then. Look at the bottom of the picture you can now attach voice notes pictures. For example if you have a project for work you can take a bunch of pictures and have a full description about each one.
    Trackpad for Q10 anybody?-img_00000011.png

Sorting order. Doesn't automatically keep it there for now that I don't like but it will be fixed and you can make tags to make it easier to find by using universal search

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 02:17 PM
    What they should come up though is a blackberry precision pen/stylus like the Samsung Note has. Have it come with a special case attached to the phone. That would be unreal

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 02:25 PM
    The trackpad on the back suggestion sounds like a nice idea. Editing text without a trackpad is incredibly frustrating, but a trackpad would deduct even more space from the screen which is not worth it.
    You mean the trackpad that could be at the bottom of the screen (shift blackberry logo up near speakers)? Or use the keyboard as the trackpad?

And it would take up space that already used by software buttons for the exact same thing that the menu key + trackpad would accomplish?

They had something unique, now they are just like everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 02:33 PM

Secondly, you suggest an optional trackpad. The trackpad is a piece of hardware. Do you honestly think that is a 'feasible' decision, making such a piece of hardware optional? Wake up.

Oh, and I edited your post that you see above without the use of a trackpad, easily, on my Q10.

Posted via Q10
    Sometimes it's not convenient to use a laptop really. Or it can be obnoxoius. Here's one scenario - If you buy stuff at auction (not ebay) or privately visiting people's houses - antiques/cars/property that sort of thing. You can't wander round with a laptop very easily where a phone is just right - you can contact customers your buying for / might be able to sell to / you can check you bank funds , you can check values, exchange rates, you can store lots of your own notes on things that might effect values of goods .... anyway you don't have to understand....

I do believe I'm not dreaming -
    A mouse or a trackpad is a piece of hw that can be attached via usb just like you can attach a usb hard drive to a phone you can attach a pointing device given right software.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 02:44 PM
    Sometimes it's not convenient to use a laptop really. Or it can be obnoxoius. Here's one scenario - If you buy stuff at auction (not ebay) or privately visiting people's houses - antiques/cars/property that sort of thing. You can't wander round with a laptop very easily where a phone is just right - you can contact customers your buying for / might be able to sell to / you can check you bank funds , you can check values, exchange rates, you can store lots of your own notes on things that might effect values of goods .... anyway you don't have to understand....

I do believe I'm not dreaming -
    A mouse or a trackpad is a piece of hw that can be attached via usb just like you can attach a usb hard drive to a phone you can attach a pointing device given right software.

Posted via CB10
    And what has going to people's houses got to do with using a trackpad? The external trackpad wouldn't take off. People are more savvy and know how to use their devices, given the environment that they're in.

Posted via Q10
    08-14-13 02:49 PM
42 12