Hi, I have a Q10 that thankfully only double types once in a while. But lately it's been ignoring me when I hit send on texts, or the post button in this CB app, on the built in weather app or on web pages in the browser. It's getting very annoying! As the article in Consumer Reports describes it, I have "zombie fingers" when it comes to touch screens. That's one of the major reasons why I use the Q10 when my hands are big enough to comfortably use a Z30 or the passport one handed. Both of them have nicer specs but I really dislike the odd KB on the passport, and of course the Z30 has no KB! <G> my son really liked his Z30 until the display was cracked. He would've been willing to fix it so he could stay with the BB10 OS but when we discovered that the display with no installation still cost over 80% of the cost of a brand new Z30 he gave up on the security and got the DTEK50. So if I could easily use it I'd get a Z30. In the meantime I have few options. Until I found out that the Classic has a built-in battery it would have been ideal! A bit more screen and the idea of having the trackpad to let me select things on the screen that are very difficult to do now is extremely attractive. But my last 3 Blackberries all outlasted their batteries. It wasn't a big deal since I was able to get a new OEM battery for under $9, whereas the labor to install a new battery in a classic is nearly the same cost as just buying another Q10! So at least for now I'm hoping to resolve this issue so I can keep using my otherwise great Q10 without wanting to throw it against a brick wall!

Can anyone offer advice on getting my Q10 to respond the way it was just a few months ago? I thought it had a touch calibration like my Treo did, (where I would tap on the "X" as it was in each corner of the screen and then in a few more spots) but I don't see anything like that.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-09-16 11:09 AM
    Touch Calibration!! You brought me back!!! Wow!
    I would try a fresh boot first.
    But I would also try downloading and running BBVE from the BlackBerry World app store.
    Hit the middle icon in the bottom bar.
    Run the Display Tests (there are tests there for physical screen swiping/detecting)
    Let us know your results.
    11-09-16 11:19 AM
    Actually I forgot that the BBVE has those tests! I actually have the app, just haven't thought about it in ages... I will run the tests tomorrow and we'll see what it comes up with.

11-12-16 09:16 AM
    Just check if you have not enabled the Screen Reader accessibility feature. The option can be disabled in Settings > accessibility > Screen Reader or by doing a quick triple-click on the power button (probably how you enabled it in the first place).

You can disabled the triple tap in the settings by the way
    11-13-16 04:51 AM
    Well, this one is a puzzle. I have never heard my Q10 trying to read anything to me but I checked the settings and found partial setting for screen reader. The top button for screen reader was off but the next one for turning it on with triple tap WAS on. I turned it to off along with confirmation and sounds. I guess I will see how my BlackBerry behaves over the next week or so. Thanks for the idea either way!

11-14-16 06:21 AM
    Well, it's been five days and unfortunately no improvement. It's getting very frustrating! Today I'm using the gasbuddy app and even the large "buttons " are ignoring it when I try tapping, pressing or sliding with any of my fingers. Sometimes by the time I get an entry open I'm already past it so must try to remember the prices for each grade. Same goes for the built-in text app on my Q10. I often have to hit send a bunch of times before it actually sends the text.

Does anyone know what's causing this? Or even someone who might tell me?

Thanks.

11-20-16 03:58 PM
    Happened to me too.
    11-24-16 04:59 PM
    Did anybody ever tell you anything that fixed the problem? Mine is really getting annoying! There's another issue that could be related that may strike a bell with someone. For about as long as I've used the Q10 it will periodically ignore every touch I give it to wake up from a black screen. Often after a dozen failed swipes I resort to pushing the button on top to force it to partially wake up. Once the display has color again it seems fine except for when I try to tap on it. THAT'S where the problem starts. Either it doesn't put the cursor where I touched or it acts as if there wasn't any input!

Does this additional info trigger a new idea for anyone? I could really use the help!
    Thanks!

11-24-16 07:57 PM
    This is not a solution for the touch sensitivity (or lack thereof), but it may help:

You can set the enter button to act like the send button. So you're typing your message and just hit enter to send. If you actually want to type in a paragraph, just hit shift+enter.
    11-24-16 11:03 PM
    Or Hard reset...

Sent via BB Q10
    11-25-16 12:07 AM
    If you have the Swipe to Wake feature enable in your Display settings and don't use a screenshield, that's a bummer. Retry BBVE after it happened to test your screen again. You can also check your CPU consumption on the Device Monitors. We all saw that an app consuming to much cycle can slow down some part of the OS... Check your Run in the Background and Run when minimized permissions.
    11-25-16 12:59 AM
    Thanks for the ideas, I will try looking at it with them in mind!

11-30-16 07:19 AM
    You mentioned not wanting the Classic due to the fixed battery.

I have had a Classic for 18 months and almost never run out of battery. If I have a bunch of 'droid apps going, perhaps reading on Kobo all day, then I may run low, but 90% of the time I get through a day no problem. If you wanted, a person could carry a small power bank, not much different from having to carry a 2nd battery.

So, if you can't salvage your Q10, don't be afraid of the Classic.

Or, there's always the PRIV, since you're needing the keyboard ...
    11-30-16 08:09 AM
    I would recommend replacing the screen. And since you are having keyboard issues, replace that while you have it open since you have to remove the keyboard to replace the screen. There are a couple youtube videos on how to do this. It's very easy. I've replaced my screen once and keyboard twice. Global direct parts has good OEM parts for the Q10.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    Jt501 likes this.
    12-05-16 03:39 PM
    Wouldn't that be nearly as expensive as just getting a new Q10? I really wished that the passport didn't have the odd kb, my hands are large enough for me to easily use it one handed, but I don't think that I'll like the kb very well. It at least has a bit better display with a slightly more powerful CPU. As for the Priv, my wife has one that I set up for her. I myself will NEVER use anything running Android! The privacy intrusion is a total joke WITH the BlackBerry mods. Without them there is NO privacy!

I'm not a tinfoil hat wearer worried about the NSA. I carried above a Top Secret clearance while in the service and am fully aware that I underwent several FBI investigations to get and keep the clearance. What I want to do is keep Google and other companies from making money by selling my life! I use no services from Google and have no social media accounts nor any interest in wasting my time with them. Anyone who actually READS the "privacy policy" you must agree to just to turn on an android device should be appalled at the level of intrusion! The part about their knowing my location all the time is bad enough, but they have the ability to use the camera or microphone without any notice, can send calls or texts from you and can read, change or delete any data on the device. Too creepy for my tastes! My Q10 will even let the built-in BlackBerry maps work without having permission to access the GPS! (if you are just doing trip planning and want to see how far 2 places are from each other it doesn't matter if neither place is your current location! ) if I need to use it I can allow GPS but for example NO app I use needs to access my contacts or calendar. But nearly every app wants to see one or all of the three things! The difference that the BB10 OS gives me over the other two systems is that I decide on the access I grant. Even with 6.1 Marshmallow you can not prevent Google from knowing all three. Sorry for the long response, but I just want ways to keep my BB10 devices going, since I plan on getting another Q10 after this one finally dies. Thanks for the help, and I'm always interested in useful input!

12-06-16 07:09 AM
    No, on global direct parts, the screen and keyboard with flex cable will set you back @ $30 plus shipping.
    12-06-16 03:52 PM
    I didn't know that! Is the site just their name? I only have looked at display prices for the Z30 my son broke by pinching it between the handle of a wheelbarrow and his pocket. The gorilla glass held but the digitizer has a narrow crack that killed it. When I looked into a display the lowest I saw was over $100 plus another $9 for some kind of plastic tool. Since I could buy a new Z30 for not much more we gave up and got him a DTEK50.

12-08-16 12:05 PM
    Odd, the Gasbuddy app lets me scroll up and down but ignores it if I press a virtual button. The same kind of thing with the web browser, I can scroll just fine but it will ignore it if I tap the page to either select a link or even just to TRY to put the cursor into a search box so I can type in text or just select from a list. It seems to me that if I don't have any problems with the screen regarding scrolling then that implies that the display itself isn't defective? Could this be caused by some other software related issue?

I really appreciate how people who use this site mostly just want to get answers or to help out the other BlackBerry users instead of just being trolls as you see SO many people behaving on other sites! I wish that the attitude would spread, I think society as a whole would benefit. Thanks everyone!

12-10-16 10:21 PM
    Yes, globaldirectparts.com. They are in Texas and they shipped my stuff quick. I like that they specify what is OEM and what is aftermarket. If you get a new keyboard get the one that shows the flex cable sticking out. As I mentioned, if you are going to replace the screen you might as well do the keyboard at the same time so you don't have to tear it down twice.

Posted via CB10 from AT&T Q10
    12-11-16 08:27 AM
    Erose, thanks for confirming that site. Did you happen to read my last two posts? I'm not sure if I have an issue with the display or with something else...

12-12-16 06:54 AM
    I couldn't tell you why it would respond to some gestures but not others. I changed my screen once because it had a hairline crack, so I wasn't experiencing the same issue you are. I guess my thought would be, for $30, and if you are comfortable doing the install after watching a couple videos, it couldn't hurt to try a new screen.

Have you tried a complete backup, security wipe, then restore using LINK? You could try that first to see if a hard reset of the software fixes the issue?
    12-12-16 10:04 AM
    I suppose it's worth a try, I have avoided using the link for quite a while because I've been afraid that some really odd behavior I still have after the forced update to 10.3.2.440 might somehow corrupt my "master list" of contacts in Outlook. I asked a LOT of people here about it and I've never gotten a response that even partially eases my mind about it. My Q10 periodically changes or outright deletes contacts with zero pattern as to whether old or new ones are affected. I guess what I need to do is find out which files to back up on Outlook and then try it...

12-15-16 09:39 AM
    I went thru all my "local contacts" and deleted the ones that were already on my MSN contacts on Outlook.com. Then I added the local contacts that weren't on MSN to Outlook.com. Got to the point I have zero contacts in my local contacts. Then once you do a backup and restore, link isn't handling your contacts and all your contacts will populate from your internet email account once you add that account back after the restore.
    12-15-16 02:00 PM
    Thanks for the idea but I use the full Office suite on my PC and don't have any interest in using Outlook.com or any other cloud services. HIPPA laws don't allow you to expose patient information to companies that data mine everything you put in the cloud. Yes, I'm aware that the vast majority of people don't bother to secure ANY of the data on their cells but to me that doesn't fly. Even non medical data shouldn't be shared. After all, no one in my contacts gave me permission to share their phone numbers or anything else! Unfortunately, I don't see the majority of the herd just go through life blindly hitting "accept" without ever reading a single word. Nothing will change until people see the cost of all the "free" apps hit them.

In any case, I figured that the issue is related to something that changed with 10.3.2.440 since I used my Q10 for over 18 months with zero problems. The problem is one that I would've wanted to ask BlackBerry about but the warranty expired a few months before the forced update. I asked a tech support person who was helping me set up the Priv my wife bought and was told that I can't get any assistance unless I manage to get their attention by tweeting about it. As I don't have a twitter account that's kind of hard to do! That's why I'm trying hard to find the right person here who has an idea for a fix! ;-)

12-17-16 01:07 PM
    Just so I understand you correctly, you use Outlook for work or personal email? If you use for personal email, you probably have outlook connector or some other background function syncing your email/contacts? I used to use Outlook as well until outlook connector quit working for whatever reason. So if you are using outlook for your personal email, just get all your local contacts in there. If I am not understanding you correctly, then nevermind I guess. You would have to rely on Link to restore all your local contacts upon a restore (I've done this enough times in the past to know you might lose a few contacts doing this).

If it were me, my steps would be 1) wipe and restore; 2) replace the screen; 3) buy a new Q10 or another device.
    12-22-16 07:54 AM
32 12