I got my husband and iPhone 5 for his birthday and he doesn't like it. He was hanging on to his Palm Pre 3 until it just stopped working. He llikes the physical keyboard. I read that Blackberry is getting out of the consumer market so I don't want to buy him this phone if it won't work in a year. Has there been any news?
    BeautyEh likes this.
    09-23-13 08:58 AM
    The Q10 will still work in a year regardless of what happens to BlackBerry.

It is also a fantastic device as luck would have it.

All the best

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID, tg1 and 00stryder like this.
    09-23-13 09:08 AM
    I use the Q10 and a fine handset it is. Good choice for those who desire the keyboard. It's the best physical keyboard on the market to day & probably ever on a mobile device.

My only concern is that the device won't be supported in the near future... who knows though.

Q10 on EE.
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    09-23-13 09:21 AM
    No, it's not "too late" to buy this phone.

Wanna hear a secret? It'll still work regardless of what happens to BlaclBerry.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    09-23-13 09:28 AM
    Go for it! The Q10 is awesome.

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    09-23-13 09:33 AM
    Wife has a Q10, try getting it out her hands
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-23-13 09:35 AM
    I got my husband and iPhone 5 for his birthday and he doesn't like it. He was hanging on to his Palm Pre 3 until it just stopped working. He llikes the physical keyboard. I read that Blackberry is getting out of the consumer market so I don't want to buy him this phone if it won't work in a year. Has there been any news?
    Blackberry's in big financial trouble. This phone is a disaster. Some things aren't fixable and otherwise updates are very limited. Now that they've laid off 40% of their workforce, the situation is probably going to get worse. Not a good prognosis.
    koebi90 likes this.
    09-23-13 10:14 AM
    I would say go ahead and get one. Truthfully, we do not know what BlackBerry is going to do, we are just hearing mostly rumors at the moment. The Q10 is a great device. I have the other top of the line smartphones and I keep switching back to my Q10.
    09-23-13 10:27 AM
    Blackberry's in big financial trouble. This phone is a disaster. Some things aren't fixable and otherwise updates are very limited. Now that they've laid off 40% of their workforce, the situation is probably going to get worse. Not a good prognosis.
    Please do tell how the phone is a disaster. I have a Z10 but the Q10 looks a quality device, and haven't seen any posts claiming it's a disaster other than yours. If I had the money I'd get one.

Maybe BlackBerry as we know it isn't around this time next year, but the phone will still work. It will get 10.2 within the next couple months which is a fantastic OS, and hopefully a couple more big updates after that. At which point, if they stop updating the phone in a years time, it will have had enough updates to leave it with a very solid OS while you run out your contract, or save money for a new phone, or wait until you find a phone you like that isn't a BlackBerry. And if it's apps you're worried about, with 10.2 you get Android runtime 4.2.2 so you'll be able to get a plethora of new apps for awhile now.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:31 AM
    I never actually updated my 9900 and it worked just the way I wanted it to. I had so much stuff on my phone, I couldn't be bothered to sort it out to update it. What i'm saying is that I used it for a long time with an older update and I was more than happy with it.

Tbh, I am more than happy with my Q10 as it is so if it never gets an update, i'm not bothered. I update my phone every 20 months or so anyway.

I think people should just enjoy their Q10 for what it is and stop worrying about the future of BlackBerry. Chill and enjoy

Helen

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:37 AM
    This phone is a disaster? Really? Most ridiculous post I've seen in a while...
    09-23-13 10:52 AM
    This phone is a disaster? Really? Most ridiculous post I've seen in a while...
    Yes, after 2-3 years, releasing a phone with this many flaws and this many core Blackberry functions missing, is a disaster. But don't take my word for it, there are legions of posts on here highlighting so many problems and omissions.

In the end, the market itself has spoken loud and clear: this product is a gigantic bust and this company is dead.
    09-23-13 11:10 AM
    Yes, after 2-3 years, releasing a phone with this many flaws and this many core Blackberry functions missing, is a disaster. But don't take my word for it, there are legions of posts on here highlighting so many problems and omissions.

In the end, the market itself has spoken loud and clear: this product is a gigantic bust and this company is dead.
    You realise the problem with sales is not due to the phone itself but crappy marketing? Ask anyone in USA and they will tell you about the new iPhones. Barely no one knows that even BB10 exists.

Yes, the market speaks loud and clear: that they want iPhones, and they don't have a clue what BB10 can do.

Hardly a proof of a flawed phone. Please think of others real arguments.

Posted via CB10
    moody and tg1 like this.
    09-23-13 11:27 AM
    You realise the problem with sales is not due to the phone itself but crappy marketing? Ask anyone in USA and they will tell you about the new iPhones. Barely no one knows that even BB10 exists.

Yes, the market speaks loud and clear: that they want iPhones, and they don't have a clue what BB10 can do.

Hardly a proof of a flawed phone. Please think of others real arguments.
    Posted via CB10
    The problem with Blackberry is marketing??? Now that's a first. How many imbedded customers/users do they have or have they had? They used to have to dominant market share.

No one is buying this phone because it sucks. It's not about marketing. It has little appeal to Apple/Anbroid users and diminished appeal to core Blackberry users. Now, that's a recipe for disaster, which is what you have. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize or understand this.

I was going to say that if you want your husband to be swearing at you on a regular basis, go buy him this phone. But you might get lucky, because he's a Palm user and not a core Blackberry user, so he might not know what he's missing and might be happy. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
    09-23-13 11:38 AM
    I never actually updated my 9900 and it worked just the way I wanted it to. I had so much stuff on my phone, I couldn't be bothered to sort it out to update it. What i'm saying is that I used it for a long time with an older update and I was more than happy with it.

Tbh, I am more than happy with my Q10 as it is so if it never gets an update, i'm not bothered. I update my phone every 20 months or so anyway.

I think people should just enjoy their Q10 for what it is and stop worrying about the future of BlackBerry. Chill and enjoy

Helen

Posted via CB10
    Ha Ha! Don't feeI alone. I never insall leaks ether! Half of this forum is "Leak" related.
    09-23-13 11:58 AM
    The problem with Blackberry is marketing??? Now that's a first. How many imbedded customers/users do they have or have they had? They used to have to dominant market share.

No one is buying this phone because it sucks. It's not about marketing. It has little appeal to Apple/Anbroid users and diminished appeal to core Blackberry users. Now, that's a recipe for disaster, which is what you have. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize or understand this.

I was going to say that if you want your husband to be swearing at you on a regular basis, go buy him this phone. But you might get lucky, because he's a Palm user and not a core Blackberry user, so he might not know what he's missing and might be happy. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
    Sounds like a phone with a physical keyboard isn't what you're after. That's fine. I wouldn't call the Q10 a disaster though, it's a fine phone.

It lacks some big name apps, but the device itself is very good and I find I am much more willing and able to communicate with this compared to my previous iPhone 5.

It's disconcerting to hear the news about BlackBerry. It is a shame, but the phone will continue to be a good choice for someone wanting a physical keyboard until it breaks.

Posted via CB10
    moody and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    09-23-13 11:59 AM
    The Q10 is a great phone. I don't know what SoxFan is going on about.

I find the people with a really negative opinion are the ones that have happened upon fatal bugs with their phone and are not patient enough to deal with them. And as with all technology, bugs are commonplace.

Now as far as BlackBerry leaving the consumer market, that shouldn't concern your husband much if he's happy w/ his Palm. As Palm has left the face of the earth for years now. So a Q10, although limited in comparison to Apple's and Android's app stores, will be a nice upgrade for your husband. All while keeping hold of the thing he values most: a physical keyboard.

You've said yourself OP, that your husband has tried the iP5 but doesn't value what it offers. So he won't be having the usual gripe about the lack of apps that most people have.

Cheers, hope you do decide to get him the Q10!

Posted via CB10
    tempered, moody and H_O_Boomaye like this.
    09-23-13 12:02 PM
    Q10 the powerfull phone ever, very smooth, Professional tool
    moody likes this.
    09-23-13 12:05 PM
    Too bad you didn't read the rest of my post, and the posts on CrackBerry about the delays in USA launch and bad press they are having.

And just so you know, they were the dominant market because they were the only market since 1999. When iPhone and Android came out, they flatted out because their marketing strategy wasn't particularly appealing to regular consumer, more to enterprises. Just listen to this morning CrackBerry podcast, Kevin and Chris Umi are repeating the whole thing.

And anyway, I'm feeling bad like you are for the current state of BlackBerry. But based on facts, BB10 phones have been chosen by several millions persons across the world, and it still fits their needs. As it fits mine. Obviously not yours. Too bad, just switch platform, that's what I would do if BlackBerry wouldn't do what I want.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 12:11 PM
    Your husband is coming from a Palm Pre and you are concerned with the long-term support for a Blackberry phone? The current BB10 phones are great and will be a great step up for him. It sounds like your husband is not obsessed with having the absolute latest and greatest phone. As many have already said here, the Q10 will be around for years, regardless of what happens to BBRY. My bet is that BBRY will be around for years too, as a smaller company, with an emphasis on corporate phones.
    moody and jstirtzinger like this.
    09-23-13 12:13 PM
    They have already laid off 40 % of their employeees? Are you serious? When did this happen? Over the weekend? Source?
    Last edited by igor10000; 09-23-13 at 12:38 PM.
    09-23-13 12:25 PM
    They have already laid off 40 of their employeees? Are you serious? When did this happen? Over the weekend? Source?
    He cannot read, he saw the number and the word "laid off" and thought it was instant. He missed the part where they said it will finish by 2015.

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    09-23-13 12:28 PM
    So he won't be having the usual gripe about the lack of apps that most people have.
    I think the lack of apps is a minor disadvantage for the Q10, although personally YELP is such an effective way to find something/someplace and get directions for it, that I find the fact that it's missing to very disappointing.

My problem has to do with all the core flaws and functionality issues that Blackberry's have had down previously: the ability to upload and search contacts from Outlook and robust contact search; the ability to leave messages on the my email servers; the ability to quickly and efficiently delete messages; the loss of so many highly functional keyboard shortcuts that made Blackberry products so quick and easy to use; the sluggish response of the device to many commands (including bulk delete); random capitalizations in the middle of messages for no reason (and in autotext word replacement), massive data usage just to send and receive emails (I'm not talking about streaming media or anything -- 5-10x previous versions, costing significantly more money to use the device, especially internationally); loss of the trackpad (I can live with this, but not my preference); phone goes black on speakerphone for no reason, can't end calls...to name a few major problems with this device that has lost it for Blackberry.

Then, there's the fact that the company will not be able to survive having missed the boat so badly and now come pout with such a flawed and disfunctional device, that you are unlikely to get updates and/or support to the degree one would hope for and/or expect with a $600 product. Why would anyone buy into this knowing these facts? Nuts. What would you buy a product from a dying company, especially an expensive, complex, high tech product?

If anything, but a used older generation Blackberry that works..it will cost peanuts and provide a hard keyboard and you lament all this other stuff. That's if he doesn't browse very much, so he doesn't care about browsing speed, and/or does';t have many applications or contacts so as not to overwhelm the phone's processor or memory.
    Last edited by SoxFan; 09-23-13 at 12:52 PM.
    09-23-13 12:30 PM
    It's not too late and he will easily adapt to the q10 gesture.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 12:32 PM
    oh what a surprise, soxfan comments about how much he hates his phone with a lengthy post.. keep working out those fingers bud!
    09-23-13 12:43 PM
93 123 ...