Is there any way to connect my laptop to AT&T thru my Q10 by using the Q10 as a some sort of wireless modem?
    11-26-13 11:57 AM
    Turn on the mobile hotspot. It may be an optional feature depending upon your contract or price plan.

Not AT&T specific, but typically if you have unlimited data it is likely you do not have the hotspot feature on your plan.

You will find mobile hotspot under settings, Network and Connections.
    11-26-13 12:05 PM
    He's correct and you do have to have one of the mobile sharing plans before you can do this. I believe 3GB or higher.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 12:07 PM
    I know for AT&T, they require you to buy a "tethering" plan in order to use those features. It's pretty stupid. But yes, the Q10 is technically capable of it if it wasn't for AT&T pulling on the leash...
    11-26-13 12:13 PM
    settings - nettworks and connections - (scroll down; connectivy services) - then you should see NFC, Mobile Hotspot, Internet Tethering, IMS status.

Mobile hotspot shares internet connection with multiple devices connected via WIFI
    Internet Tethering shares internet connection with 1 device connected via USB or bluetooth

AT&T may or may not let you use those options however, both work fine for me on Verizon.
    11-26-13 12:20 PM
    I think it's internet tethering I am looking for. I'm not looking to connect via wifi as I can do that directly with my computer. I do have a shared data plan. What do I do, just connect my device by USB cable...what then? AT&T gives away a device that you can use a a modem to connect and use your shared data plan, but but costs $20/month.
    11-26-13 12:25 PM
    surely AT&T allows the mobile hotspot for free on shared plans? it's free on verizon and it actually works faster than one of my cable modem networks.
    11-26-13 12:29 PM
    I think it's internet tethering I am looking for. I'm not looking to connect via wifi as I can do that directly with my computer. I do have a shared data plan. What do I do, just connect my device by USB cable...what then? AT&T gives away a device that you can use a a modem to connect and use your shared data plan, but but costs $20/month.
    turn on internet tethering, then select how you want to connect USB or bluetooth, then either connect the USB or turn on the bluetooth on your computer.

Wait a second.... If your computer already gets WIFI, whats the point of connecting it to the internet though your phone and AT&T?
    11-26-13 12:48 PM
    You can tether as well, but the mobile hotspot would be the easiest way to connect. The Q10 uses its Wifi radio to create a wifi router connection that your Laptop will be able to see. The wifi hotspot is also faster than Bluetooth.

To be clear, when you turn on the wifi hotspot, your phone will disconnect from any wifi source it may be connected to and then use the phone's wifi radio to connect your laptop to the cellular data via a wifi connection. You may also need to be in 3G or better service area to use the hotspot.
    11-26-13 01:07 PM
    I've tried tethering a couple times to no avail. I'm on Rogers. Does this need to be activated via the carrier or something?

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 01:21 PM
    "tethering" is an old school way of connecting your phone to your laptop. Mobile Hotspots are what most people use these days. It's wireless and it's fast. On BB, you just activate your mobile hotspot on your phone. Very simple. Settings/Network Connections - Turn Mobile Hotspot on and set password. The find your network on your laptop and connect just like you would to any hotspot or wifi network.
    11-26-13 01:41 PM
    I've tried tethering a couple times to no avail. I'm on Rogers. Does this need to be activated via the carrier or something?

Posted via CB10
    Rogers requires a 1gb or larger data plan to have access to tethering. If your data plan is large enough, you may need to call them to make sure the feature is active on your account.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 02:19 PM
    Wait a second.... If your computer already gets WIFI, whats the point of connecting it to the internet though your phone and AT&T?
    I have a 10G shared data plan. I want to be able to connect my computer to the internet in places that don't have wi-fi but have 3G/4G cellular service.
    11-26-13 09:37 PM
    Talk to your carrier. You should be able to connect with your BB10 's Mobile Hotspot. It's probably free, but it will also count as part of your shared data.
    I have a 10G shared data plan. I want to be able to connect my computer to the internet in places that don't have wi-fi but have 3G/4G cellular service.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-13 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the input. It's a few specific steps, but it's very easy! For those that may be interested in the future:

1) Swipe down and go to Settings from the Home Screen

2) Select Network Connections.

3) Select Mobile Hotspot and turn "on". This automatically and simultaneously turns your BB10 WIFI "Off."

This then turns your BB10 device into a wireless router -- not a WIFI router -- but a cellular network router. (You are now only on your cellular network and I am not even sure that you can use your phone to receive inbound calls or messages while the Network Hotspot is enabled).

4) Then, go to your laptop and open Network Connections, as if you are in a hotel or restaurant and searching for a WIFI network.

5) Voila, your BB10 device will appear as a possible connection listed as Blackberry Mobile Hotspot XXXX.

6) Select and connect to that connection.

7) You will be asked for a WPA2 password to access your phone's network and use it as a Mobile Hotspot, just like you are generally asked for a password to connect to a secure router. At some point, you probably created one. Type in that password, or if you forgot, touch on the two cable buttons at the bottom of the Mobile Hotspot screen on your BB10 and you can reset your password.

8) After you have entered your password on your laptop, you are "in" -- feel free to surf away.

Well, not free, as you are using your data plan...if you do this a lot, you might to up your data plan. Also, have a spare battery as this uses extra battery. But otherwise, no hidden charges, at least not with AT&T.

There's probably a way to use Internet Tethering to do the same thing, but no need...this is cleaner and easier. Also, there's no need to use Bluetooth to connect your BB10 device to your laptop, the Mobile Hotspot Connection is all you need. The AT&T support person was actually much more helpful than the Blackberry support person (who seemed generally unaware, which is surprising because I usually have the opposite experience).

Thanks again for the heads up above.
    12-02-13 04:40 PM
    Thanks for the input. It's a few specific steps, but it's very easy! For those that may be interested in the future:

1) Swipe down and go to Settings from the Home Screen

2) Select Network Connections.

3) Select Mobile Hotspot and turn "on". This automatically and simultaneously turns your BB10 WIFI "Off."

This then turns your BB10 device into a wireless router -- not a WIFI router -- but a cellular network router. (You are now only on your cellular network and I am not even sure that you can use your phone to receive inbound calls or messages while the Network Hotspot is enabled).

4) Then, go to your laptop and open Network Connections, as if you are in a hotel or restaurant and searching for a WIFI network.

5) Voila, your BB10 device will appear as a possible connection listed as Blackberry Mobile Hotspot XXXX.

6) Select and connect to that connection.

7) You will be asked for a WPA2 password to access your phone's network and use it as a Mobile Hotspot, just like you are generally asked for a password to connect to a secure router. At some point, you probably created one. Type in that password, or if you forgot, touch on the two cable buttons at the bottom of the Mobile Hotspot screen on your BB10 and you can reset your password.

8) After you have entered your password on your laptop, you are "in" -- feel free to surf away.

Well, not free, as you are using your data plan...if you do this a lot, you might to up your data plan. Also, have a spare battery as this uses extra battery. But otherwise, no hidden charges, at least not with AT&T.

There's probably a way to use Internet Tethering to do the same thing, but no need...this is cleaner and easier. Also, there's no need to use Bluetooth to connect your BB10 device to your laptop, the Mobile Hotspot Connection is all you need. The AT&T support person was actually much more helpful than the Blackberry support person (who seemed generally unaware, which is surprising because I usually have the opposite experience).

Thanks again for the heads up above.
    So the AT&T person said specifically that there are no extra charges for using mobile hotspot? Because while activating it, the phone gives a warning that there could be fees from the carrier. What data plan do you have? Maybe if you have a limited data plan they don't mind you using it but I have the old grandfathered unlimited data plan... Maybe I'll have a little chat with them myself.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    12-04-13 09:29 AM
    So the AT&T person said specifically that there are no extra charges for using mobile hotspot? Because while activating it, the phone gives a warning that there could be fees from the carrier. What data plan do you have? Maybe if you have a limited data plan they don't mind you using it but I have the old grandfathered unlimited data plan... Maybe I'll have a little chat with them myself.

I have a 10GB shared data plan. My understanding is that you are using the phone to browse the Web over the network, with or w/o a computer, it's the same data usage?
    12-04-13 09:33 AM
    I have a 10GB shared data plan. My understanding is that you are using the phone to browse the Web over the network, with or w/o a computer, it's the same data usage?
    It is, but when it's unlimited, the consider using a computer is "easier" which means you go through more GB/minute, if you're paying per GB, then they won't care since you are paying for it. For me, unlimited pretty much only covers through the phone. At least that's the reasoning behind charging for tethering, hotspot might be the same.

12-04-13 04:16 PM
    I'm with at&t. Don't know what the stipulations are with the mobile share plan; but I know for an individual plan that tethering and hotspot access are included with the 5GB plan.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 04:27 PM
    I'm with at&t. Don't know what the stipulations are with the mobile share plan; but I know for an individual plan that tethering and hotspot access are included with the 5GB plan.

Posted via CB10
    Ok, again, I'm not on a xGB plan. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan. I know all of the plans where you pay by GB they give you access to tethering and mobile hotspot since the more you use the better it is for them since you're paying for it.

Edit: But seeing as how you didn't directly quote my post, you might have just been replying to the OP's original question, so sorry if that is the case, don't mean to assume everyone's response it directed toward me...
    12-04-13 05:19 PM
    I use the tethering frequently, with a USB connection to the computer. It's blazing fast when you are connected to 4G LTE. I haven't been very scientific about it, but I think I get faster speeds through that method than wifi hotspot. It might be a hassle to have to connect a USB cable, but the plus side is that the phone gets charged while it's being used.

If you have the BlackBerry drivers installed on your PC, all you have to do is connect your phone, then turn tethering on in the phone settings. You don't have to do anything on the computer. Easy peazy.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 11:32 PM
    I'm on an AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan as well. Would love to know if mobile hotspot on my BB10 devices would incur additional fees.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1055, STL100-3 10.2.1.1055
    12-05-13 07:47 AM
    I'm on an AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan as well. Would love to know if mobile hotspot on my BB10 devices would incur additional fees.

SQN100-1 10.2.1.1055, STL100-3 10.2.1.1055
    You can chat with someone from the website. I will probably do that tonight...

12-05-13 08:54 AM
    I use the tethering frequently, with a USB connection to the computer. It's blazing fast when you are connected to 4G LTE. I haven't been very scientific about it, but I think I get faster speeds through that method than wifi hotspot. It might be a hassle to have to connect a USB cable, but the plus side is that the phone gets charged while it's being used.

If you have the BlackBerry drivers installed on your PC, all you have to do is connect your phone, then turn tethering on in the phone settings. You don't have to do anything on the computer. Easy peazy.

Posted via CB10
    What Blackberry drivers? How do you find/install/use them? What do you click on to initiate the tethering on the computer? Anything?
    12-05-13 09:00 AM
    What Blackberry drivers? How do you find/install/use them?

if your computer sees the blackberry when its plugged in, you have the drivers.
    12-05-13 09:40 AM
34 12