Hi...I will be on a cruise and am considering not purchasing phone service for the cruise, instead using wifi on board for emails and calls (Skype).

This takes care of everything excluding texts. Is there a text to email app that turns texts into emails?
    02-04-15 05:05 PM
    Check out SMS To Email Pro in BlackBerry World.
    I have it and the app works well.
    02-05-15 07:25 AM
    But keep in mind you'll need to leave the phone at home, connected to the charger so it does not run out of battery...

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 07:34 AM
    But keep in mind you'll need to leave the phone at home, connected to the charger so it does not run out of battery...

Posted via CB10
    And take your tablet on the cruise

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 07:49 AM
    Now that I think about it, you may be able to use blend from your tablet, not completely sure as I've never tried leaving the phone at home and connecting from let's say a starbucks, very cool if it works...

Also in my experience internet access while in cruise is really expensive and slow, not sure if you'll be able to make calls using skype with good enough quality...

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 05:14 PM
    I plan to get an unlimited internet package so, yes it's expensive, but I will have unlimited access for the cruise.

Yes, it is slow and calls by Skype can be hampered...may only make calls on port days. Basically, I want to receive the regular flow of emails and texts when by the pool, during the cruise days...

I bought SMS to Email Pro for $1.99 (plus tax?) today to test it, and it works fine, but how do I turn it on and off? I don;t need these tests to emails until the cruise leaves.

Also, can I use my Blackberry as a wifi router to other devices (my laptop, my significant other's laptop, her iPhone, etc.) and still use my Blackberry as for it's normal functionality, send and receive emails, browse, etc.?
    02-05-15 06:50 PM
    I plan to get an unlimited internet package so, yes it's expensive, but I will have unlimited access for the cruise.

Yes, it is slow and calls by Skype can be hampered...may only make calls on port days. Basically, I want to receive the regular flow of emails and texts when by the pool, during the cruise days...

I bought SMS to Email Pro for $1.99 (plus tax?) today to test it, and it works fine, but how do I turn it on and off? I don;t need these tests to emails until the cruise leaves.

Also, can I use my Blackberry as a wifi router to other devices (my laptop, my significant other's laptop, her iPhone, etc.) and still use my Blackberry as for it's normal functionality, send and receive emails, browse, etc.?
    I can't remember where to do it, because I've since deleted.the app, but if I recall correctly there's definitely a way to turn it on/off, just can't remember how/where.

For the hot-spot question, yes you can send data to other devices and still use your phone.

Edit: I checked and there seems to be no way to turn it on/off, so I was wrong.

And PS, not sure this set up will work, you'll need to leave your blackberry at home with your Sim card in it for your phone to receive the text messages so the app can grab them and send them to your email address.

So you'll need a different blackberry/other smartphone/tablet with you on the cruise to receive them.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 08:43 PM
    In the Device Manager stop the service and finally go to the app permissions and toggle off 'Run in Background'.
    That should stop the app from running.
    02-07-15 07:49 AM