I'm curious if developers for Z10 are also modifying their apps for the Q10 screen. Right now, without a BB10 phone, I cannot see what apps are available for the platform, and whether those apps are Z10 only or both Z10 and Q10.
    03-24-13 10:25 AM
    I'm curious if developers for Z10 are also modifying their apps for the Q10 screen. Right now, without a BB10 phone, I cannot see what apps are available for the platform, and whether those apps are Z10 only or both Z10 and Q10.
    BB10 apps will work on all BB10 devices - even PlayBook when it gets BB10. It's not device dependent. To see what apps are currently available just go to appworld.blackberry.com and select the Z10. You do not have to log in.
    ALToronto likes this.
    03-24-13 10:32 AM
    Blackberry JUST released the SDK for OS 10.1, containing the various Q10-specific functions, literally 2-3 days ago.

Therefore I think your request is a bit premature.
    03-24-13 10:33 AM
    I think it's a very reasonable request considering some people are still waiting to make a decision on whether to wait for the Q10 or not. As for being patient.... Dude. I think We all have been patient. My 9800 battery is holding on by a thread.
    03-24-13 10:46 AM
    Regardless how impatient you are, I'm simply relaying the practical facts as they stand: app developers are not going to have a large stable of specially-customized apps for a device whose software APIs were just made available to them 1-2 business days ago.

Sorry to disappoint. That just happens to be the main reason for the Q10 delay which, if I'm not mistaken, has recently been pushed back another couple of weeks.

Honestly, I would have considered a Q10 myself, but because A) I want it now and B) I'm not sure I'll end up liking the smaller screen as much, I'm just forgetting about it and getting the Z10 when Verizon puts them on sale next Thursday.
    03-24-13 11:15 AM
    BB10 apps will work on all BB10 devices - even PlayBook when it gets BB10. It's not device dependent. To see what apps are currently available just go to appworld.blackberry.com and select the Z10. You do not have to log in.
    Incorrect. Apps have to be formatted to work properly on the Q10. They also have to be added to the compatibility list by devs. Without intervention, no apps will work on the Q10.
    03-24-13 11:29 AM
    I've been waiting for the Q10 even though I've had an upgrade before 2013. I really hope that when it does arrive, apps such as whatsapp will be ready to go for it.
    03-24-13 11:55 AM
    Hi,

PlayCloud 10 is available on z10 of course. And ready for q10.

On my thread, you can read my progress on q10.

I'll publish soon the q10 release.

Nicolas
    03-24-13 01:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was all that simple to have the same app run on both screen formats. I wonder if all the developers of at least native apps are modifying them for the Q10, and if that's part of the reason for the delay.
    03-24-13 09:20 PM
    Incorrect. Apps have to be formatted to work properly on the Q10. They also have to be added to the compatibility list by devs. Without intervention, no apps will work on the Q10.
    +1 -- exactly.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-13 09:40 PM
    That sucks. I assumed they would run letterboxed, which isn't ideal but it's something. Is the same true for Android apps? Not that they be formatted for the Q10, obviously, but at 720x720?
    03-24-13 10:38 PM
    That sucks. I assumed they would run letterboxed, which isn't ideal but it's something. Is the same true for Android apps? Not that they be formatted for the Q10, obviously, but at 720x720?
    Android apps are designed to work with a large variety of resolutions; it's the way the OS was designed from the ground up. That's why you have devices like the HTC ChaCha. That being said, there will be some apps that will probably be letter-boxed or just straight up not work.
    03-24-13 11:01 PM
    Android apps are designed to work with a large variety of resolutions; it's the way the OS was designed from the ground up. That's why you have devices like the HTC ChaCha. That being said, there will be some apps that will probably be letter-boxed or just straight up not work.
    Are they designed dynamically though, or do developers have to specify the resolutions their app will run at? If there's an Android phone with a 720x720 screen, I'm unaware of it.
    03-24-13 11:11 PM
    Lots of things will be different with the Q10, even the default theme is darker in color because it will use less battery power on the OLED screen that the Q10 comes with.

If they try to make all the menus exactly the same size as they do in the Z10, and cram all the same stuff in there, it probably won't work. There have to be adjustments.

There is a separate section at the bottom of the screen for the "word flick" because obviously the predicted words are not going to magically appear directly on top of the physical keyboard. Etc.
    03-24-13 11:26 PM
    That's not what it says on the Dev site. They will run but must be formatted properly to get the best user experience. If the app is formatted properly it will scale and use the proper theme.
    03-25-13 12:19 AM
    If the developper has followed the BlackBerry's advice about different screen resolutions, the app (the same binary) can work on several devices without customization.

Now developpers wait to be able to test their apps on the q10 device before to release.

And own q10 decice or dev C isn't easy !

Nicolas
    03-25-13 01:43 AM
    I'd rather have the apps run full screen width and scroll down, than have them letterboxed in 60% of the space. Damn. I might be getting a Z10 after all.
    03-25-13 07:22 AM
    Really good link examining this topic. Should answer some questions people have.

Bringing Cascades BlackBerry Z10 apps to the BlackBerry Q10 �BlackBerry Developer Blog
    03-25-13 07:38 AM
    That's not what it says on the Dev site. They will run but must be formatted properly to get the best user experience. If the app is formatted properly it will scale and use the proper theme.
    I'm not sure what part of my post you're referring to, but everything I've stated is true. The app will not work properly if there are no appropriate formatting changes to the app. So by "formatted properly" I assume you mean exactly what I said, that they need to be "formatted to work properly".

And all of this means nothing if the developer doesn't add Q10 to the compatibility list for their app. Users will have no access to it until they do this, so devs have to make a conscious decision to support the Q10.
    03-25-13 07:55 AM
    Are they designed dynamically though, or do developers have to specify the resolutions their app will run at? If there's an Android phone with a 720x720 screen, I'm unaware of it.
    Some are. I've tested a few, I think there's a thread floating around here with some screenshots. Some work well and scale properly, others require some scrolling, others don't work at all. It depends on how the app was built and what considerations the developer made.
    03-25-13 07:58 AM
    If you submit an app for the Z10, and then the Q10 gets released - each dev has to go into their App World portal and manually select "Q10" for it to be available on the Q10. Doesn't mean it will work properly, but there is a process that needs to be done. No apps will automatically be available for the Q10 without the developers go-ahead.
    03-25-13 08:12 AM
    Can a developer flag an app in BBW as "Q10 compatible" today? Or do they have to wait until 10.1 is released?

I assume they had to wait at least until the 10.1 SDK was released.
    03-25-13 06:22 PM
    Can a developer flag an app in BBW as "Q10 compatible" today? Or do they have to wait until 10.1 is released?

I assume they had to wait at least until the 10.1 SDK was released.
    You can do it now.
    03-25-13 06:26 PM
    That's good. It would be crazy if they all had to wait until the last minute and then get everything either re-submitted/re-approved, or just flagged. Non-trivial with 100k apps.
    03-25-13 07:43 PM
    The developper has to use SDK 10.1 and flag the app 10.1 when he submits it in the BlackBerry World for the q10

And the developper has to continue to use SDK 10.0 and flag the app 10.0 for the z10

To sum up, while z10 hasn't got os 10.1 update, the developper has to build 2 apps and submit 2 releases.

When 10.1 will be released on z10, each z10 owners should have to update the device...

Nicolas
    03-26-13 02:50 PM