Same complaint, 10000% agreed with OP. I just avoid having to make edits and often if I have to I start over lol. It's completely unreliable and rarely behaves as expected. Really sucks because I write A LOT so yea....

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 09:49 PM
    YuPperZ kinda crappy and need improvement BIG TIME... This and the 30 day e-mail option are causing a lot of people to go back or stick with the 9900....

Posted via CB Q-10
    05-27-13 11:55 PM
    And that's with 10.1. It was even worse on 10.0.
    A good start would be to implement multi-touch select like on other platforms.
    05-28-13 05:30 AM
    I am 100% with the OP on this one. I mean I love the Q10, it is a very nice device overall and I absolutely don't regret to leave the 9900 and the iPhone 5 behind. But since I type a lot (thats why I chose the Q10, I really really adore the physical keyboard) it all is ok, until I want to insert, correct or copy something in a sentence or text block which I wrote earlier. I'm really having an issue with text selection and copy/paste, just like the OP.

I mean it is not necessary to have a coursor pad, since text selection on the iPhone is also nearly as easy and comfortable as on the old 9900 with a coursor pad, but the Q10 definetly needs a huge improvement in this matter to really become the communcation tool which it aims to be.

But, as far as I was able to follow the latest history of BBRY and BB10, I think that we'll see an improvement in the near future. Or at least, I am giving a lot of hope into this, because if that would be fixed, the Q10 is pretty much everything I can dream of...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    05-28-13 05:55 AM
    What worries me though is how the current editing solution was ever allowed to be released. It is unbelievable.

Those selection tabs are the most ridiculously fiddly things to get a hold of. How can the team who felt this was the best solution be relied upon to improve it?

The biggest worry for blackberry is Jonathan Ive, who has taken on the overall strategy for the implementation of apple software. Here is a guy who knows about simplicity and will surely look seriously at improving the editing experience in iOS.

But it can't be that difficult can it? We all know the average size range of adult fingers and thumbs and yet we're expected to stab and peck at a tab that is barely 2mm across. When you do manage to catch it, it jumps around like a dog in the park. I mean this is the kind of rubbish experience one would expect from the earliest touch screen devices nearly a decade ago. There is enough processing power in the new Q10, so use it to offer a simple, effective and reliable solution.

If they can't figure that out, then please bring back the trackpad and put us all out of our misery.
    Last edited by marcusperkins; 05-28-13 at 06:42 AM.
    bobauckland and FF22 like this.
    05-28-13 06:15 AM
  6. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    It's a weak area in an otherwise great device... hopefully, BlackBerry improves this in future software releases....

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 08:20 AM
    In all honesty, I don't think this will be fixed because Blackberry do not feel it is broken.
    If everyone keeps nagging they may make minor improvements as we have seen so far with green highlighting, different UI for the circle selector etc, but most of this is aesthetic and not really software changes as it appears to be the same for me.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-28-13 08:31 AM
    Heyyy, could a virtual track pad be created? That is a great idea.

Virtual track pad would solve this and I sadly have to agree with OP. I'm a power user on this thing and the editing of text on the fly for a simple change sometimes leaves me with wanting to throw the phone across the room. I love everything else thus far.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 08:55 AM
    @SharonRD: thanks for the screenshots. Looking good, however also the standard Blackberry editing tools look "OK" when being looked at on screenshots. The issues are more, what about screen sensitivity? Or, does the very tool that I need to appear really appear or does something else happen? And, if the right tool appears, will it do what it is supposed to do, or will it just vanish, or behave strangely (I liked what somebody else said, "...the editing marks jump around like a dog in the park....")? Are the tools big enough and can they be grabbed conveniently by average sized - or even bigger - fingers? etc.

These are the questions, that BBRY developers have to ask themselves IMHO. The tools are there, but don't work properly, due to bad programming, or mediocre screen sensitivity, or both. Hope for an improvement to be released soon.

P.S. I happened to meet a friend earlier today, who still uses a 9900.....played with it a little. Man, it is SO MUCH MORE convenient to do all the editing etc. on a trackpad based device...even for me, as I've been using the Q10 now since ~3 weeks or more, and should be used to it already. So BBRY better spend some serious time on improving this, otherwise all the "old" Blackberry users who are transitioning to BB10 will be very disappointed.
    05-28-13 09:03 AM
    What worries me though is how the current editing solution was ever allowed to be released. It is unbelievable.

Those selection tabs are the most ridiculously fiddly things to get a hold of. How can the team who felt this was the best solution be relied upon to improve it?

The biggest worry for blackberry is Jonathan Ive, who has taken on the overall strategy for the implementation of apple software. Here is a guy who knows about simplicity and will surely look seriously at improving the editing experience in iOS.

But it can't be that difficult can it? We all know the average size range of adult fingers and thumbs and yet we're expected to stab and peck at a tab that is barely 2mm across. When you do manage to catch it, it jumps around like a dog in the park. I mean this is the kind of rubbish experience one would expect from the earliest touch screen devices nearly a decade ago. There is enough processing power in the new Q10, so use it to offer a simple, effective and reliable solution.

If they can't figure that out, then please bring back the trackpad and put us all out of our misery.
    That statement is the most frightening. I don't think the designers recognize this as a weak point. From what I've seen, this has not progressed much from the poor implementation on the Playbook. I like your description of the cursor jumping around like a dog in a dog park. I get a cursor. I try moving it. It goes down a line. It goes up two lines, it winds up 3 letters to the left and one letter to the right. If it finally lands anywhere to the right, I just backspace/delete till I finally can get to the location I wanted to initially fix and start retyping! Galling. Frustrating, IRKSOME.
    J Ro likes this.
    05-28-13 09:20 AM
    I'm not convinced that this is really a weak point (text selection). The problem here is that we're comparing bb10 devices to os7 rather than ios and android. Of the current flagship phones available, I'd choose either bb10 device for text editing. They are both much better than ios and android for selecting text.

Don't get me wrong, I still miss my trackpad and I would be willing to give back some screen size for it's unharmed return. That said, I am in love with my Q10 and the hardware upgrades make it impossible for me to consider going back.

A few posts back in this thread someone mentioned holding down the alt key while dragging the circle. Coming from 9900 this seemed intuitive and was actually something I tried when I first got my Q. Tap to get the O, hold down the [alt] key, drag the O then release the [alt] key to complete the selection. I think that would be pretty slick.

Posted via talented thumbs
    05-28-13 10:06 AM
    One of the reasons I sold my Z10 and went back to my 9900. I was hoping something would change with the Q10 before opting for the new phone, but I'm in no hurry to dive back into the whole BB10 experience. I think I'll be holding on to my 9900 for a while.
    05-28-13 10:22 AM
    @SharonRD: thanks for the screenshots. Looking good, however also the standard Blackberry editing tools look "OK" when being looked at on screenshots. The issues are more, what about screen sensitivity?
    Yeah, you can't really get the feel of it, unless you actually try it for yourself. It is really very good and ridiculously easy to use; personally speaking, the way it is implemented in the screenshots I posted would work perfectly for me, if it were done this way in BB10.

The way BB10's text selection and editing is done is extremely frustrating, which sucks because I love almost everything else about my Q10.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    05-28-13 10:28 AM
    I am confused, does this app work only in the notes app itself, or with all text input? What the OP is describing is what drives me crazy about the iPhone 5. I went back to the 9930 after 7 months of trying to figure out the iPhone.

I do hope it improves with OS updates. I also think there is a learning curve at play here that might be a slight part of the problem.

The idea that BB isn't trying to improve it I think is off base.

Yeah, you can't really get the feel of it, unless you actually try it for yourself. It is really very good and ridiculously easy to use; personally speaking, the way it is implemented in the screenshots I posted would work perfectly for me, if it were done this way in BB10.

The way BB10's text selection and editing is done is extremely frustrating, which sucks because I love almost everything else about my Q10.

05-28-13 10:43 AM
    It's annoying now, but the track pad is dead physically and virtually. It's available for OS7 if that is what you want. BlackBerry needs to be progressive. People have spoken and want less buttons. Text editing will improve. It improved dramatically on PlayBook over time. It will on os10. One thing is true though, if you don't take the time to learn to use the new device you will forever be frustrated. I don't see a huge difference in text editing on my z10, ios, or my note 2. I do know that one of these OS's is a baby and is growing everyday. Tapping the screen to edit text isn't going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 11:05 AM
    I'm not convinced that this is really a weak point (text selection). The problem here is that we're comparing bb10 devices to os7 rather than ios and android. Of the current flagship phones available, I'd choose either bb10 device for text editing. They are both much better than ios and android for selecting text.

Don't get me wrong, I still miss my trackpad and I would be willing to give back some screen size for it's unharmed return. That said, I am in love with my Q10 and the hardware upgrades make it impossible for me to consider going back.

A few posts back in this thread someone mentioned holding down the alt key while dragging the circle. Coming from 9900 this seemed intuitive and was actually something I tried when I first got my Q. Tap to get the O, hold down the [alt] key, drag the O then release the [alt] key to complete the selection. I think that would be pretty slick.

I too instinctively pressed the Alt key to drag the cursor/circle - and the reason I suggested it. OK, there would be no way to then extend the selected text at the the other end without starting again, but that is rarely an issue.

You do raise a fair point in that it is not an issue compared to the competition, but ease of editing was and should remain one of the (many) strengths of the BlackBerry experience.

So we need a bigger Ring that can be grabbed easily and gives the option of word correction/learn when the cursor sits in an underline word - or just carry on typing/deleting.

To select text, simply pres alt and drag forwards or backwards. Then tap on selection as we currently do for the menu.

That way whenever we tap on composed text, only the ring ever pops up - no confusion.

We could use the current action of holding a word to quickly select the whole paragraph for copying or deletion.

I can't think of any issues doing it that way.
    Last edited by marcusperkins; 05-28-13 at 11:24 AM.
    05-28-13 11:11 AM
    The app only works within the note app itself, I was just using it to show OP how much better text selection /editing, etc is implemented' than the way it is in BB10. If it had been done this way, there'd probably be few complaints in this department.

Yes, there is certainly a learning curve with text editing within BB10 and I've learnt how it's done...it's just done poorly, which make the experience incredibly frustrating. With so many voicing their frustration, hopefully we will see some positive changes in future updates.

05-28-13 11:13 AM
    Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-th.jpg

Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-th-1-.jpg

I hope I attached the pictures correctly. The first one is the samsung moment, the second HTC Hero. I just want to show people who think that a track pad and touch screen would be "the best of both worlds". I owned both and thought they were just OK. These phones are from like 2088-2009 I think. People generally hated them, hence you don't see the design used anymore by anyone. Trying to implement this would be a step in the wrong direction by adding unnecessary physical hardware. It's really redundant when you have a huge screen that could accomplish the same thing.

The best thing anyone that wants BlackBerry to succeed can do is turn on your diagnostics and use your Q and Z like you would everyday. BlackBerry will see where the problems are and the improvements will come. If you want a track pad, OS 7 is there to keep you warm.
    05-28-13 11:41 AM
    Only speaking for myself, but I can live without a trackpad. I would rather have text selection /editing implemented the way I showed in my screenshots.

05-28-13 11:47 AM
    I prefer the way it is now to those screen shots. With those cursors you have to stay on them to continue the selection. With bb10 you can get your fat thumbs out of the way to really see what you're doing.

05-28-13 11:57 AM
    I prefer the way it is now to those screen shots. With those cursors you have to stay on them to continue the selection. With bb10 you can get your fat thumbs out of the way to really see what you're doing.

What do you mean "you have to stay on them to continue selection"? Have you even tried the app to see how editing works in it? I can grab a handle and tap/pull it down so it scrolls down to select the text, also the handles/tabs are transparent, so text is easily seen through them.

05-28-13 12:03 PM

Oh, so one just has to accept absolutely abominable editing because MODERN devices can't do it any better. Touch-screen suckie editing is the wave of the future because having a trackpad is just so old school. No one would be caught dead using a trackpad to enter text correctly when they can flail away trying to place the cursor using a jumpy glass keyboard.

Yup. I'm definitely sold.
    J Ro likes this.
    05-28-13 03:33 PM
    It's annoying now, but the track pad is dead physically and virtually. It's available for OS7 if that is what you want. BlackBerry needs to be progressive. People have spoken and want less buttons. Text editing will improve. It improved dramatically on PlayBook over time. It will on os10. One thing is true though, if you don't take the time to learn to use the new device you will forever be frustrated. I don't see a huge difference in text editing on my z10, ios, or my note 2. I do know that one of these OS's is a baby and is growing everyday. Tapping the screen to edit text isn't going anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    You know, for emphasis, I will repeat what I wrote just above:

"Oh, so one just has to accept absolutely abominable editing because MODERN devices can't do it any better. Touch-screen suckie editing is the wave of the future because having a trackpad is just so old school. No one would be caught dead using a trackpad to enter text correctly when they can flail away trying to place the cursor using a jumpy glass keyboard.

Yup. I'm definitely sold. "

Counting on Rim to improve anything is like counting on the Tooth Fairy to deliver the trackpad again. Don't count on any promises from Rim and certainly don't count on the speculation of users of these forums. Rim has promised nothing - so updates "could" come but then again, they just might not.

Less buttons is proving so successful, maybe they will eliminate the on/off the volume ones. I understand the next bb device will intuit what the user intended and nothing except the screen will be present.

"Tapping the screen to edit text isn't going anywhere. " So true - getting the cursor where you want it is going NOWHERE. At least, nowhere where you want the cursor to go. I'm so glad that Rim has matched the competition with text editing. Now all phone users including bb users can look like they are illiterate.
    05-28-13 03:36 PM
    well, at least we know now why you have over 19,000 post.

You know, for emphasis, I will repeat what I wrote just above:

"Oh, so one just has to accept absolutely abominable editing because MODERN devices can't do it any better. Touch-screen suckie editing is the wave of the future because having a trackpad is just so old school. No one would be caught dead using a trackpad to enter text correctly when they can flail away trying to place the cursor using a jumpy glass keyboard.

Yup. I'm definitely sold. "

Counting on Rim to improve anything is like counting on the Tooth Fairy to deliver the trackpad again. Don't count on any promises from Rim and certainly don't count on the speculation of users of these forums. Rim has promised nothing - so updates "could" come but then again, they just might not.

Less buttons is proving so successful, maybe they will eliminate the on/off the volume ones. I understand the next bb device will intuit what the user intended and nothing except the screen will be present.

"Tapping the screen to edit text isn't going anywhere. " So true - getting the cursor where you want it is going NOWHERE. At least, nowhere where you want the cursor to go. I'm so glad that Rim has matched the competition with text editing. Now all phone users including bb users can look like they are illiterate.
    05-28-13 05:20 PM
    well, at least we know now why you have over 19,000 post.
    lol Ok, let's try to keep this thread on topic, and not let it escalate into a flame war about silly things. So far, it's been a great discussion, it has for me anyway.

marcusperkins and J Ro like this.
    05-28-13 05:43 PM
97 1234