I think a better solution would be tap and hold with options to add to dictionary, or select text, or bring up the bubble. That would probably solve most of your issues.

With that being said, while I agree with most of your post, I find the text selection bearable and on par with what's out there now (well except for the ones with a track pad - which I've never used).

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 05:16 PM
    Many "buisness people" are reverting back to 9900 because of this BULLSHART copy n paste issue. I don't use copy n paste much. But I know of three people in my family that didn't upgrade after testing mine out. 2 in real estate and one in life insurance.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 05:23 PM
    Hang on, I'm confused, I'm about to drop the money on a Q10, and am happier with text selection on 10.1 on my Z10 than I was on 10.0, by far, is the consensus that selection on the Q10 is worse than on the Z10 because of a lack of screen sensitivity? Can anyone who has both devices confirm this?
    Well, like I said, I own both Z and Q. All I can say is that screen sensitivity on the Q is inferior to the Z. Actually I never discovered any "dead spots" on the Z. On the Q, there are certain areas where you sometimes might need to tap 2 or 3 times in order to make a button work (e.g. right upper or lower left corners). There was also an issue with the call end button, but that seems to have improved since .273.

I recommend to perform a search in this forum on screen sensitivity, there are a couple of discussions going on. Consensus is that it seems to be SW related and not a HW flaw, so there is hope this will improve in future OS or app versions.

However, not being an engineer, I cannot confirm that screen sensitivity is one of the reasons for the problems with text selection on the Q - but I believe it is! In combination with smaller screen size and selection/editing methods not yet being optimized for the Q10.

But besides text selection an editing needing improvement, I wouldn't be too concerned over the Q10's screen sensitivity issues. Reading some of the posts, it may sound worse than it actually is. By no means do I want to spread negativity about the Q10, which is, all in all, a convincing package.
    bobauckland and SlcCorrado like this.
    05-18-13 05:26 PM
    Q10 is a great phone, but if you need a phone primarily for business email and telephone then stick with the 9900 - it runs rings around the Q for core business functionality (I'm running both)

When writing emails and texting there is so much space taken up by the bottom menu (and word substitution which I don't find useful) you might just as well have physical buttons and a trackpad.

Despite the larger screen of the Q, there is clearly more useable screen space on the 9900 when writing emails, texts ect - which is exactly what Q should be geared towards.
    Last edited by marcusperkins; 05-18-13 at 07:40 PM.
    vincent1m likes this.
    05-18-13 07:01 PM
    Q10 is a great phone, but if you need a phone primarily for business email and telephone then stick with the 9900 - it runs rings around the Q for core business functionality (I'm running both)

When writing emails and texting there is so much space taken up by the bottom menu (and word substitution which I don't find useful) you might just as well have physical buttons and a trackpad.

Despite the larger screen of the Q, there is clearly more useable screen space on the 9900 when writing emails, texts ect - which is exactly what Q should be geared towards.
    Can you not shut word substitution off completely!?! Wtf, this has to be a joke

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 08:05 PM
    Yes you can, I have word correction and prediction turned off entirely.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 08:14 PM
    Yes you can, I have word correction and prediction turned off entirely.

Posted via CB10
    You saved my life

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 08:49 PM
    You saved my life

Posted via CB10
    Good to hear. I prefer to fly blind, correction be damned. lol Btw, to disable them just open Settings > Language and Input > Prediction and Correction.

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    05-18-13 09:16 PM
    But if you turn word substitution off, the other menu comes up at the bottom so no space is gained.

BlackBerry's unique selling point is that fantastic keyboard, and the one on the Q is probably the best I've ever used. But rather than design a UI exclusively for the Q and adapt it for the Z, it seems to be a compromise in favour of the Z which I think is a mistake particularly as BlackBerry themselves have said the Q is likely to outsell the Z by a large margin.

They could have produced the ultimate business phone but have restricted themselves to producing merely a good one.
    05-19-13 03:27 AM
    I think I know what the problem is. Because some people couldn't swipe up properly, BlackBerry decided to make the gesture area bigger. Now the software has a tough time isolating taps from swipes. You'll notice this only happens at the top and at the bottom of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 04:20 AM
    You are so right! The cumbersome, inaccurate nature of attempting to edit text nearly nukes the quantum leap improvement provided by the new Q10 keyboard.
    Fix is urgent. puhlease!
    05-19-13 04:46 AM
    You are so right! The cumbersome, inaccurate nature of attempting to edit text nearly nukes the quantum leap improvement provided by the new Q10 keyboard.
    Fix is urgent. puhlease!
    While the Playbook never sold well and they hope to sell tons of q10's, they never fixed EDITING on the pb. It was always and remains, at least for me, a very hit and miss process. Try placing the cursor. No, not that lower line. Again, now the darn line above. Now two characters to the right or left. Rarely do I get the cursor where I want it on the first or second try.
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    05-19-13 09:15 AM
    Text selection works great on BlackBerry 10. Just because you don't know how to use the feature, does not mean it is flawed. In fact, text selection on BlackBerry 10 is the best. Works great. Love it.

Because I know how to use it properly. How? By learning it.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 02:05 PM
    Text selection works great on BlackBerry 10. Just because you don't know how to use the feature, does not mean it is flawed. In fact, text selection on BlackBerry 10 is the best. Works great. Love it.

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you but is there some magical way to edit text selection reliably? I'm stumped. The ring shows when it feels like it. Do tell what you've learned.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    05-20-13 02:15 PM

Posted via CB10

Umm, being an intelligent woman I know how to use it, the problem is that it is finicky and inconsistent. Like gnirkatto said (quoted below), I have the same issues for text selection with the Q10 as he, and find it frustrating, since I write a lot of emails, sms, etc:

Cursor positioning (in order to either correct text, or to add a word to the personal dictionary):

• when tapping on a word, sometimes the cursor jumps there, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the white circle appears, sometimes the "add to dictionary" popup shows up.
    • I have not figured out yet what is going to happen under which circumstances.
    • Once any of the above happens, it is almost impossible to choose a different function. Example: I want to add an underlined word to the dictionary and tap on it. The circle pops up - not useful. I tap on the word again, nothing happens. I have to tap on a different text position. If I'm lucky, the cursor jumps there. If not, the circle jumps there. Then I have to tap on an empty position to make the circle disappear. Then tap on the underlined word again, hoping the add to dictionary menu will show up. SOmetimes it does, sometimes the circle reappears. Back to the start.

Sometimes, after the circle has popped up, when tapping on the same word again, the menu comes up, in addition to the circle! but not always!
    • Or vice versa. I need the circle, and the menu pops up. Same annoying procedure as the above needed.

Text block selection:

• I tap and hold a text block.
    • Sometimes the right one gets marked, sometimes the wrong one. Tring very carefully to grab and drag the little begin- and end-markers of the block mainly makes the block jump around all text lines wildly. This is so maddening, that sometimes I decide to just give up.
    • Sometimes, although long tapping, the menu or the circle will show up. Have to make them disappear somehow (see above), to start over trying to mark a text block.
    • Sometimes, although the word I'm tapping on has not yet been marked, and while I'm still tapping and holding, the side bar comes along, offering me to cut or paste. Useless.

Last edited by SharonRD; 05-20-13 at 03:34 PM.
    05-20-13 02:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol cheers for that awesome tip boss.
    05-20-13 03:25 PM
    gnirkatto,

I have a Notes app from Blackberry World called "Notes in Private", and I find the cursor position, text selection, and copy/ paste really easy to do. Would this way of dealing with text make it easier for you, as opposed to the way it is now? There is a trial version there, so you could see exactly what I mean, and just delete it when you're done. If you (or anybody else) do try it, let me know what you think. Personally, I would find this much easier than the current method of dealing with text.

BlackBerry World - Search Results
    05-21-13 06:08 PM
    gnirkatto,

I have a Notes app from Blackberry World called "Notes in Private", and I find the cursor position, text selection, and copy/ paste really easy to do. Would this way of dealing with text make it easier for you, as opposed to the way it is now? There is a trial version there, so you could see exactly what I mean, and just delete it when you're done. If you (or anybody else) do try it, let me know what you think. Personally, I would find this much easier than the current method of dealing with text.

BlackBerry World - Search Results
    Would love to test drive it, but can't find a trial version !?
    05-26-13 03:51 PM
    which is exactly why I bought a 9900 last night although I would've loved to have the hardware specs of the Q10, I just can't live with no menu keys and no trackpad and the whole hub / BB OS10 experience. I want something practical, not something I need to take a course to learn how to use it and even then it will never be as practical as OS 7
    I wasn't happy at first when I learned that bb10 won't have the menu button and the track pad. I loved that menu button. I felt it separated BlackBerry from other phones. No matter what app you were in, you could hit the menu button and have options. As opposed to let say an iPhone where the menu feature is different in every app. Anyways once bb10 came out I quickly adapted and I didn't think it was that difficult to learn how to use bb10. I think saying you need to take a course to learn it is a little over doing it. Yes I know you were being sarcastic and exaggerating a bit but it really isn't that hard to figure out at all. After a few days all the swiping became natural to me. It just feels right. I will agree tho that the 9900 was/is a great device but I like where BlackBerry is going with bb10.

BlackBerry Z10 and 32gb PlayBook
    05-26-13 04:04 PM
    Well, damn. You're right, I just looked and the developer has pulled the trial version of it. That's too bad, because the way he/she has text editing set up works perfectly, so easy and WAY better than how BB10 does it now.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 04:07 PM
    These threads will be showing up like machine-gun blasts once the q10 hits the US. It doesn't matter how far advanced the new technology is if ultimately - the end user is slowed down.

9900: Open email or website, select, scroll, copy, compose, paste, send. 20 seconds, MAX.

Q10: Gesture, tap, fumble, raise eyebrow, curse, huh?, gesture, swipe, call customer service, mutter, upgrade, curse, shriek, (sell on ebay, or) smash to smithereens.
    Alystair likes this.
    05-26-13 05:05 PM
    Gnirkatto, I'll take some screenshots of how the app deals with cursor/ selection/editing and post them to show you, next time I'm not busy and at my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 06:24 PM
    Well, no time like the present...

This is what the cursor looks like when I click on the note, it is very easy to drag it anywhere I want and large enough for fingers to grab easily:

Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-img_00000017.png

This is what it looks like when I click on a word (two pics, couldn't get all the text selections choices in one screenshot):

Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-img_00000020.png

Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-img_00000025.png

When I select a word, I can drag the large end 'handles' easily to choose text. And I like how the 'handles' are transparent:

Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-img_00000018.png

Or if I click on the highlighted word again after selecting it, these options pop up:

Text Editing And Selection Needs Significant Improvement Urgently-img_00000023.png

Love it! The cursor placement, text selection and editing are so ridiculously easy a child could do it. If my Q10 behaved like this, I'd have no need for a virtual trackpad.
    05-26-13 07:29 PM
    The tab to move the cursor looks like the one they had in BBOS7. It was so much easier to get hold of rather than the circle which is just too small in the email application - it's a little bigger in other applications (disjointed design and a big oversight of a core and very necessary feature).

Why did they change something that clearly worked? Maybe the development team wanted to offer a flashier option (more complicated). Gratuitus change for the sake of it often leads to a compromised experience. Just give us a nice big tab - it might not look cool (or look like an iPhone) but it does work extremely well.

If they keep the circle, then at least make it bigger, and then work out how to make the the process less random. At the moment it is just too frustrating.
    Last edited by marcusperkins; 05-27-13 at 03:04 AM.
    05-27-13 02:34 AM
    Completely agree with the OP. Editing text is very frustrating. The touch screen sensitivity is poor. With the iPhone 4s I am always surprised at how accurate the screen is eg. when tapping a very tiny HTML link that's just 1mm in size with my huge finger!

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 05:31 PM
97 1234