The issues with slecting and editing text on the Q10 without the beloved trackpad were discussed alredy in several threads on this forum. However, I would like to be more specific and outline more exactly what the issues are, hoping that BB will read and improve in the near future. Baseline: text selection/editing is one of the biggest weaknesses of an otherwise outstanding system.

Cursor positioning (in order to either correct text, or to add a word to the personal dictionary):

• when tapping on a word, sometimes the cursor jumps there, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes the white circle appears, sometimes the "add to dictionary" popup shows up.
    • I have not figured out yet what is going to happen under which circumstances.
    • Once any of the above happens, it is almost impossible to choose a different function. Example: I want to add an underlined word to the dictionary and tap on it. The circle pops up - not useful. I tap on the word again, nothing happens. I have to tap on a different text position. If I'm lucky, the cursor jumps there. If not, the circle jumps there. Then I have to tap on an empty position to make the circle disappear. Then tap on the underlined word again, hoping the add to dictionary menu will show up. SOmetimes it does, sometimes the circle reappears. Back to the start.
      Sometimes, after the circle has popped up, when tapping on the same word again, the menu comes up, in addition to the circle! but not always!
    • Or vice versa. I need the circle, and the menu pops up. Same annoying procedure as the above needed.

Text block selection:

• I tap and hold a text block.
    • Sometimes the right one gets marked, sometimes the wrong one. Tring very carefully to grab and drag the little begin- and end-markers of the block mainly makes the block jump around all text lines wildly. This is so maddening, that sometimes I decide to just give up.
    • Sometimes, although long tapping, the menu or the circle will show up. Have to make them disappear somehow (see above), to start over trying to mark a text block.
    • Sometimes, although the word I'm tapping on has not yet been marked, and while I'm still tapping and holding, the side bar comes along, offering me to cut or paste. Useless.

I'm not sure if BB have already realized HOW annoying this situation is. It almost completely spoils the Q10 keyboard typing experience. I feel incredibly comfortable typing on the keyboard, but always fear that text or characters have to be edited or copied

I don't know how, but there HAVE TO BE better ways of implementing this. Please BB work hard on making this function properly. I know you have smart enough people to do better. It is a really really annoying problem on an otherwise great little device.
    gabbleratchet, Tavro and deiop like this.
    05-18-13 11:31 AM
    which is exactly why I bought a 9900 last night although I would've loved to have the hardware specs of the Q10, I just can't live with no menu keys and no trackpad and the whole hub / BB OS10 experience. I want something practical, not something I need to take a course to learn how to use it and even then it will never be as practical as OS 7
    vincent1m likes this.
    05-18-13 11:56 AM
    The OP is correct, text selection, copy pasting and even editing typed text needs improvement. It doesn't create a lot off issues but when some things that need to get done urgently could create frustrating when the phone doesn't respond they way you want it to.

If it makes you feel better, I've also bought a samsung s4 and the text selection, copy n paste is even worse than my q10. Lol

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 12:07 PM
    Amen to all of this! Here's another one:

Block text selection: when trying to move the left cursor to the first letter on the left side of the screen, the touchscreen doesn't allow your finger to move that far over. So you can't select the first couple letters.

Posted via CB10
    q10guy likes this.
    05-18-13 12:13 PM
    +100 ! Agree with everything OP said, as well as with everyone else. It is a very frustrating experience for me, especially since I do a lot of writing, texts, emails, etc and edit a fair bit.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 12:30 PM
    Don't you guys have the nice little adjustable circle? Works wonders on my z10. Wasn't great on 10.0 but on 10.1.... Wow!
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-18-13 12:36 PM
    Are you on the latest OS?
    The bubble appears along with the corrections every single time for me. Also, you can move the bubble around by tapping on its "sides".. this can be done as fast as you go.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-18-13 12:36 PM
    The bubble appears along with the corrections every single time for me. Also, you can move the bubble around by tapping on its "sides".. this can be done as fast as you go.
    Q10 shipped with 10.1
    05-18-13 12:37 PM
    Yeah, but there are different 10.1 versions.
    OP's could have bugs.
    05-18-13 12:39 PM
    Every version that I have seen of 10.1 has the new selector
    05-18-13 12:52 PM
    Agree 100% with the OP. When I mess up text it is almost quicker to delete back and start the sentance again. I find the whole editing/selection process irritating. It ruins the Q10 experience for me.

How about this for a solution:

Tap brings up the ring and nothing else.

Use the for quadrants to move the cursor to desired location for letter deletion/insertion (as it is currently set up to do)

Alt/drag one of the four quadrants to select text (tap on selected text to bring up the menu)

And for bringing up the 'add word to dictionary' menu, why can't we put the cursor anywhere in the appropriate word and tap the middle of the ring.

Finally (and I've raised this before) the ring needs to be bigger in the email mode - it is currently smaller than when used in messages or for writing in this forum. Weird.
    ssbtech likes this.
    05-18-13 01:02 PM
    I didn't say it lacked the new selector man
    05-18-13 01:09 PM
    I sleep with my left thumb on my 9900 trackpad
    05-18-13 01:52 PM
    I'm on .273 so on the latest OS level.
    I know the tapping on the circle to move the cursor function, and I use it. Providing the circle appears when needed.
    Unfortunately, this does not resolve any of the issues that I described in my post.
    05-18-13 01:58 PM
    Virtual track pad would solve this and I sadly have to agree with OP. I'm a power user on this thing and the editing of text on the fly for a simple change sometimes leaves me with wanting to throw the phone across the room. I love everything else thus far.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 02:04 PM
    Completely agree with OP.
    05-18-13 02:14 PM
    My wife has given up on her Q10 and gone back to her 9900 until BBRY sort out text editing. The OP is spot on.
    BullGuard8 and vincent1m like this.
    05-18-13 02:28 PM
    I don't know how the cursor work on the Q10, but on the Z10 since the 10.1 upgrade, it had been next to perfect. Moving the cursor is the easiest thing I had seen... just hold it from the bottom and you can easily place it anywhere you want. Then you can adjust the placement by tapping the right or the left of the "ring". Also long press a word would bring up two handles that can use to easily move the text selector around.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 02:32 PM
    Em not having any problems with it in z10 yea 10.0 was bad for selection delete copy paste but now everything is great
    05-18-13 03:05 PM
    + 100000000

Too bad....... Hard to type a long email for my work... :-(
    05-18-13 03:12 PM
    Think future versions of the Q10 will bring back the track pad, or introduce a virtual version on the touch screeen?
    SharonRD likes this.
    05-18-13 03:15 PM
    I don't know how the cursor work on the Q10, but on the Z10 since the 10.1 upgrade, it had been next to perfect. Moving the cursor is the easiest thing I had seen... just hold it from the bottom and you can easily place it anywhere you want. Then you can adjust the placement by tapping the right or the left of the "ring". Also long press a word would bring up two handles that can use to easily move the text selector around.

Posted via CB10
    I also own the Z10, and I agree, text editing and cursor positioning is a little bit easier. Mainly for 2 reasons IMHO:

• larger screen size, therefore easier to hit the right spot.
    • better screen sensitivity than on the Q10. See related posts/threads on this forum. I (and many others) do hope that the screen sensitivity issue on the Q10 ist SW not HW related and will get fixed.

However, on the Q10, it is a real problem which needs a resolution.
    05-18-13 03:30 PM
    I didn't say it lacked the new selector man
    Sorry, my bad. I misunderstood
    05-18-13 03:33 PM
    Hang on, I'm confused, I'm about to drop the money on a Q10, and am happier with text selection on 10.1 on my Z10 than I was on 10.0, by far, is the consensus that selection on the Q10 is worse than on the Z10 because of a lack of screen sensitivity? Can anyone who has both devices confirm this?
    05-18-13 04:40 PM
    Think future versions of the Q10 will bring back the track pad, or introduce a virtual version on the touch screeen?
    Not wanting to lose screen real estate on my Q10, I'd be happy with a virtual track pad.
    05-18-13 04:57 PM
97 123 ...