I am typing this on my wife's q10. I have a z10 and in comparing the two, I notice that with a slightly taller q10N one the same size as a z10, the screen could be enlarged to a 4x3 screen and perhaps a 1024x768 resolution.
    The screen size would also be close to the 3.5 inches of the iPhone 4.

What do you think? Perfect as is, or would this be an improvement? It would make video and games a lot better. But would it hurt in other ways?

Posted via CB10
    Cranky likes this.
    08-05-13 08:40 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't want the Q10 any bigger. It's a tradeoff. Those who need the larger screen give up the keyboard and get the Z10. Traditionalists settle for a smaller screen and keyboard with the Q10. I prefer that tradeoff to an overall larger QWERTY device. BlackBerry raised some eyebrows when the 9900 came out. It was larger than previous models and folks wondered if it would be welcomed or shunned. Plenty of folks stuck with their smaller BlackBerrys, and many who opted for the 9900 did so only because of the capabilities, not the size. Going any larger makes me think of the Dell Venue Pro - not a pleasant thought.
    08-05-13 08:50 PM
    I am typing this on my wife's q10. I have a z10 and in comparing the two, I notice that with a slightly taller q10N one the same size as a z10, the screen could be enlarged to a 4x3 screen and perhaps a 1024x768 resolution.
    The screen size would also be close to the 3.5 inches of the iPhone 4.

What do you think? Perfect as is, or would this be an improvement? It would make video and games a lot better. But would it hurt in other ways?

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly what I want a 3.5-4 in screen alittle wider and alittle taller and it will still be a lot smaller then the droids!!

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:13 PM
    I would LOVE that!

If they could pull down ever so slightly the keyboard, not much, but just a small bit - and concurrently move the top of the screen up past the BlackBerry logo underneath the ear piece - that would be awesome, IMO. I imagine they could set the sensor while in phone mode - to not use that part of the touchscreen (by speaker). I think the form factor could remain the same just about...

I also think they should optimize the Q's OS. Much of the interface is just the development team focused on the Z10 and slapping it onto the Q.

There's allot of extra realestate optimization they're missing.

Combining the two would be groovy-dude cool, IMO.
    08-05-13 09:16 PM
    There's a reason BlackBerry hasn't made a phone like this. It would be incredibly awkward to type on because it would be so top heavy. There were some terrible android phones built just like what you described and I tried typing on one of them and it was very uncomfortable. The torch type slider is the only form factor with both bigger screen and physical keyboard that would feel at least somewhat balanced. I had the torch 9800 and although the os and specs weren't the best I did enjoy the "best of both worlds" experience it gave. It didn't feel too top heavy and felt great in the hand. I'm pretty sure BlackBerry has tested a prototype with dimensions similar to what you are describing and decided to scrap it and go with the q10 form factor.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:17 PM
    The same size as the z10 would not be much larger. I mostly would want the bezel at the top to be smaller.

I know it's a tradeoff and I know the screen will always be smaller, but the goal is as little trade off as possible. I would also like a 4X3 screen. But overall, I am really liking this q10. I might have to sell my z10 and get one.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:19 PM
    The Q10's size is absolutely perfect, shouldn't be any taller or any wider, this is how the traditional blackberry should be sized, any bigger it just becomes like the rest but just with a keyboard, there is no need for it, also I think this size is optimum for ppl with small hands like me, I can just about type comfortably with one hand, also the screen size is perfect enough to read emails, browse, txt, bbm, I mean soo many ppl were happy with the 9900 and now that this screen is even bigger than that on a traditional blackberry some ppl still ain't happy...takes a lot to make ppl happy these days, also if u want a larger display or what not it imply's you use your phone for multimedia purposes alot, the traditional black is not meant for multimedia purposes but to get sh*t done, and I(and hopefully many other ppl too) wna keep it that way, if you want a multimedia device you should've got the Z10 or god forbid an android or iphone.

Posted via CB10
    berryaddictnoza likes this.
    08-05-13 09:46 PM
    Personally, I wouldn't want the Q10 any bigger. It's a tradeoff. Those who need the larger screen give up the keyboard and get the Z10. Traditionalists settle for a smaller screen and keyboard with the Q10. I prefer that tradeoff to an overall larger QWERTY device. BlackBerry raised some eyebrows when the 9900 came out. It was larger than previous models and folks wondered if it would be welcomed or shunned. Plenty of folks stuck with their smaller BlackBerrys, and many who opted for the 9900 did so only because of the capabilities, not the size. Going any larger makes me think of the Dell Venue Pro - not a pleasant thought.
    Yep, I love the size of the Q10. I came from the 9000 > 9900 > Z10> Q10 (got the Z10 as i fell in love with it the first time I saw it...just had to have it.). Keeping the form factor, having an even better keyboard is excellent whilst having the display increase to 3.1" is awesome. The 2.8" on the 9900 was much welcomed and was a joy to use.
    08-05-13 09:47 PM
    Yeah, the driod pro was a lousy attempt at a driod/berry hybrid.
    Actually, my wife went from a 9810 to the q10 and she thought the screen was bigger.

It is only 3.1 vs 3.2.
    Video is the only issue for me and even then, if I have an option to go full screen I am fine. The q10 just feels perfect in the hand.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 09:48 PM
    There were some DECENT mockups of just such a concept. You aren't the first to think of these things. You heard of the TK Justice?
    BlackBerry TK Justice concept phone - BlackBerry TK Justice, a Dual-Core BlackBerry 10 Superphone Concept - Softpedia

Isn't that sex in the palm of your hand? I wish I had that! You know how many nerdgasms people had over that design and how disappointed they were that it wasn't even going to come close to something like that. There is some seriously limited thinking over at Blackberry right now.
    Ice_Cold_Q and Mady Thiel like this.
    08-05-13 11:03 PM
    If that android back bar really is here to stay, I will gladly use a taller Q10.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:40 PM
    I thought I would be mad that they took out the black theme as I simply loved it on my Q10 and a plus because it saves battery..but after seeing the white theme on my Q10 I actually like it.

I dunno if it's because I have had the black theme since I got the phone and now having a white theme on my phone feels refreshing in some sence..and for me personally it is definitely more readable.

Either way I am happy with the white theme and I would like BlackBerry to eventually have an option to switch between the two.

That's what I think.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 11:43 PM
    I know bb can make the bezel smaller on the Q10 like they did with the Z30 by 1mm on each side thats 2mm increase and bottom bezel 1mm. Top bezel 5-7mm.

that would make the q10 the same size with alot nicer screen.
    08-06-13 03:28 AM
    IMO the Q10 already is quite top-heavy while typing and holding the device. I even think the Bold 9900 is somewhat slightly more comfortable to hold than the Q10. An even taller device would justt increase such a problem and I don't know if I would actually benefit from that new design change.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    08-06-13 03:42 AM
    IMO the Q10 already is quite top-heavy while typing and holding the device. I even think the Bold 9900 is somewhat slightly more comfortable to hold than the Q10. An even taller device would justt increase such a problem and I don't know if I would actually benefit from that new design change.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    I wouldn't use a taller phone. Ergonomics are the key to a good keyboard phone, not screen-size. That said, 10.2 updated browser menubar to disappear, so screen height has become less of an issue for you fellows wanting a taller screen.
    08-06-13 09:14 AM
    I agree that the balance in the hand is excellent. I think there is room for a little more screen. Perhaps a 4x3.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 08:09 AM
    Although I appreciate & like the idea of this, I do not know how realistic it would be and if I would REALLY enjoy it. As many have said, maintaing this size with the keyboard is the traditional model of the phone and they dont want to ruin that. Those who are going for the Q10 are willing to sacrifice their screen for the keyboard (myself included). So while I do like the idea of it, I am certainly content with this screen size and dont need it any bigger.
    08-07-13 08:24 AM
    You mean something like this? =)

A taller q10 with 4x3 screen?-tk_victory-2dimensions_2.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 09:20 AM
    TK Victory? Never head of that one?

Edit: Oh nevermind - I see it is just a concept from over a year ago It does seem a little top heavy but could be nice).
    08-07-13 09:22 AM
    One way to keep it from being top heavy is to keep the battery low in the phone. Perhaps even thicker on the bottom than the top to balance it properly. Also, I would not want any more than about 5mm taller and only 3mm taller, same width and a much smaller bezel would be good.

Put the blackberry branding on the bottom and the carrier braning on ghe back. Have the ear piece practically at the top of the phone. All of this and you wlcould have a 1024x768 screen at about 3.4 to 3.6 inches.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 10:27 AM
    I have to concur with rambo47's assessment. For anyone who wants a device carried on a holster the Q10 is arguably too big as it is. Yes it would be nice if the Q10 display was a little bit taller and have the ability to run video in landscape mode but that is not a core Q10 function because of the tradeoffs involved. If a larger display is that important give up the physical QWERTY or maybe go with a slider.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    08-07-13 02:03 PM
    I too had expected the tk victory ,had my heart on set for it and was disappointed and crushed when the q10 wasn't released the same but I did get the q10 and its cool but if the tk victory comes out one day I would definitely buy it or a slider with large screen and physical keybourd

Posted Via BlackBerry Q10
    08-11-13 11:32 AM