Getting my Q10 tomorrow and I'm doing some research and seeing folks having problems with Gmail/Google + Q10. Is that a common thing, or just an occasional glitch with individual devices? If it is problematic, any suggestions for an account that would be more compatible with the Q10? I don't really use my Gmail other than as contact organizer, my regular email is Yahoo. So if Gmail is an issue then I need a service that I can import my Gmail contacts into and then sync THAT to my Q10.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-02-14 02:00 PM
    My Gmail seems to work fine, of course it is not my main account.

If you are open to change, I really think the outlook.com's free email is the best. It uses Active Sync and many time I get my email on my phone before I get it on my work computer.
    07-02-14 02:49 PM
    I was thinking about Outlook. I don't really need the Gmail, so if I do use Outlook I would basically abandon my old Gmail account (I don't plan to go back to a Droid again).

07-02-14 02:55 PM
    Gmail seems to work fine. However I've learned it's important to decide how far back in time you want emails to be available on your device during initial set-up. Anytime after that you have to delete and re-create your account to change the option.

I personally use Hotmail which now is about the same as Outlook.com and I have to say it works flawlessly. It syncs both my calendar and contacts without a problem.

Via my simply amazing ? Q10 10.2.1.3247
    07-02-14 02:59 PM
    I was thinking about Outlook. I don't really need the Gmail, so if I do use Outlook I would basically abandon my old Gmail account (I don't plan to go back to a Droid again).

Changing an email and getting your new address to everyone can be hard.

I would keep it, you never know what you might do in the future. If you don't want to check it separately, you could just forward any emails to you new account.
    07-02-14 03:03 PM
    That is a pain.

I could also just use my regular (Yahoo) email, but since I use it for email only I'm wondering if I'll have issues getting my Gmail contacts (virtually all my contact phone #s) updated into Yahoo.

07-02-14 03:32 PM
    Gmail works nicely for me on both Z10 and Z30. It's just a matter of setting it up to match Google's IMAP implementation. These are the links I provide to friends upgrading to BB 10 devices running 10.2.1.xxxx. and all have been happy.

How to Setup Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 Device
    How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP

For an IMAP account (such as Gmail), you have to select the sync period option when setting up the account -- so you'd have to delete and re-add it. Use the standard email setup, until you get to the screen that gives you the option to toggle on/off contact/calendar sync. Tap "Advanced" at the bottom. Scroll to the very bottom, and set the "Initial Retrieval amount" to "Forever" (or your preferred sync period). You can also set your sync interval here as well.

Note that if you'll be syncing a lot of messages, you should be on WiFi, unless you have a very generous data plan.
    07-02-14 03:41 PM
    Awesome, thanks! That doesn't look too difficult, I will try it with Gmail and see how it goes.

07-02-14 03:50 PM
    Gmail works nicely for me on both Z10 and Z30. It's just a matter of setting it up to match Google's IMAP implementation. These are the links I provide to friends upgrading to BB 10 devices running 10.2.1.xxxx. and all have been happy.

How to Setup Gmail on your BlackBerry 10 Device
    How to prevent deleted Gmail messages from archiving when synced using IMAP

For an IMAP account (such as Gmail), you have to select the sync period option when setting up the account -- so you'd have to delete and re-add it. Use the standard email setup, until you get to the screen that gives you the option to toggle on/off contact/calendar sync. Tap "Advanced" at the bottom. Scroll to the very bottom, and set the "Initial Retrieval amount" to "Forever" (or your preferred sync period). You can also set your sync interval here as well.

Note that if you'll be syncing a lot of messages, you should be on WiFi, unless you have a very generous data plan.
    Yes! I agree. This is exactly what I was alluding to in my previous post above. Follow these steps exactly and hopefully you'll have no issues.

Via my simply amazing ? Q10 10.2.1.3247
    07-02-14 04:08 PM