I love the Q10 and think it's a great phone. I had a BB9000 and am glad to be able to come back. However, I've been mostly with the iPhone for the past six years or so. I've had a few other devices during that time but always went back to the iPhone.

I really like the Q10 and am giving it an honest effort but I am finding it difficult to convert. I've just spent so much time in the Apple ecosystem that I feel invested in it now. Does anyone have any advice on how to get over this hump?

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 06:46 PM
    What is the "Apple ecosystem"? If you mean apps, you won't find Apple apps on some other system. Perhaps you can list the specific apps you like and people can tell you if they are available or how they get along without them.
    02-16-15 06:57 PM
    It completely depends on what kind of stuff you expect. In terms of apps the current BlackBerry ecosystem can't even barely compete with Apple or Google. Of course you'll be able to install Android apps, however not all of them work. If you make extensive use of certain 3rd party apps, you should make sure those are either available for BB10 or you can get fitting alternatives.

You can also consider keeping your iPhone for now and try the Q10 as a secondary device.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:05 PM
    What is the "Apple ecosystem"? If you mean apps, you won't find Apple apps on some other system. Perhaps you can list the specific apps you like and people can tell you if they are available or how they get along without them.
    Most of apple apps available from the android market so it won't be a problem!

CB10 - Q10
    02-16-15 07:07 PM
    The ecosystem I'm referring to is everything. I've got apps (nothing that I'm necessarily partial to), music and movies from iTunes. The issue is that over the years I feel like I've invested a lot of time and money into the ecosystem that I'm finding hard to give up.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:32 PM
    I love the Q10 and think it's a great phone. I had a BB9000 and am glad to be able to come back. However, I've been mostly with the iPhone for the past six years or so. I've had a few other devices during that time but always went back to the iPhone.

I really like the Q10 and am giving it an honest effort but I am finding it difficult to convert. I've just spent so much time in the Apple ecosystem that I feel invested in it now. Does anyone have any advice on how to get over this hump?

Posted via CB10
    I think the best way is to get a coffee talk with s.one using BlackBerry Q10. I believe it will be beneficial for youe experience. Using Q10 will bring you lots of productivity & time-saving.
    Except of apps shortage, I believe Q10 will be a really really great tool.

Posted via CB10
    cargv likes this.
    02-16-15 10:39 PM
    I don't own any Apple devices, so I don't know how much Apple locks down the stuff like music or movies you bought from their iTunes plattform. However, your stuff doesn't get lost. You can always go back to Apple if you want to. Or use other ranges of their products. There are quite some people here using BlackBerry phones, but use Mac Books as their laptops or iPads as their tablets of choice. Others carry two phones, usually the way of a BlackBerry to get things done in terms of a messaging device, and a second for casual entertainment stuff.

As suggested: You might want to look for a used Q10 or even take a look at a decently priced Q5 and use it besides your iPhone. If you are worried that much, I think it would be the wrong idea to throw away your iPhone and use exclusively a BlackBerry as your daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-15 12:52 AM
    BlackBerry and Apple is like comparing apples and oranges lol 2 different types of devices. I had a note2. Well invested in my Samsung. But when I switched to BlackBerry I had to adjust to the way it operated. Yes it took time but once you set it up just right, you'll be all good. Yes you will be limited on certain apps but BlackBerry world has some alternatives. I love my Q10! I wouldn't go back to android unless I had to (my carrier not selling BlackBerry) but that's it. I have a small side business and I can run it so efficiently on my Q10. This device is a workhorse! However if you are constantly comparing it to an iphone you are better of sticking to an iphone. It will spare you the headache. If you find yourself adjusting and not missing the iphone you know you made the right choice. Nobody can really tell you, it's personal preference. But from personal experience, I don't regret my decision. hope that helps!

Posted from my Fabulous Q10
    02-17-15 04:36 AM
    The Q10 screen is ridiculously small.. you can get used to it.. but it is ridiculous.. bb will nail it when they release a mini pp with a 4.0" screen.. just my 2cents
    02-17-15 04:42 AM
    I feel ya on how it's hard to get used to the Q10, especially after 6 years! I've been switching back and forth between BlackBerry and Android myself since 2006 but I always, always find myself coming back to BlackBerry. My husband always tries to convince me that I'd be better off with Android, and I agree with him on all the good points it has (great app availability, ease of use and open development), but nothing can compare to my little Q10.

It's the keyboard. I can type almost as fast as I can talk, on this thing! And that makes a world of difference, especially if your main use for your phone is communication. If you're into a more feature rich environment, something you can use more for entertainment, stick with another device as your main and keep this one on the side for when you gotta get work done. Or try out the Passport, which has a huge screen that's also good for gaming and watching videos. Honestly it doesn't bother me that the screen on the Q10 is small, I still use it for everything because it's pretty awesome that we can have Android apps on it too. We get the best of both worlds

Anyway, 10.3 officially rolls out in like 3 days. So hang on until then and see if you like the Q10 more with the new OS! Then you can make a more informed decision.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9155131) and lift like this.
    02-17-15 05:10 AM
    Q10 is no where near the BB9 series.m For the time the BB9 was the ultimate work horse and as a productivity tool nothing could compete. The Q10 is not even close with all its deficiencies I find it it less efficient than android.
    If I had my time again I wouldn't have bothered switching back. Sure the hub is great but the phone has real issues managing web based emails and the browser in general is useless. A lot of pages don't launch in mobile view, difficult to read and navigate, and even if they do it is sttill not managed well. Touch screen is an issue and not very accurate. Apps are a joke and I am talking the paid BlackBerry apps which are just cut over android apps that either are limited in functionality or just not formatted correctly.
    Hardware is also poorly made. Double typing is a joke and seeing that's why a lot of people came back to the keyboarded q10 it's a disgraceful error and productivity is greatly diminished due to this. Battery issue is another problem, I have pieces of paper holding mine against the contacts to make sure it doesn't reset after I put it down on my desk. When apps are open and calls come in the phone sometimes freezes mainly because these hybrid android apps interfere with the os.
    Seriously this pipe dream of the q10 being even even close to the the BlackBerry 9 series in there heyday is delusional and don't even think you will get close to the iphone productivity.

Don't get me wrong, I want BlackBerry to produce the best, most productive phone possible as I love the Q10s siize and keyboard but Q10 just doesn't do what it is meant to do, so much so that it makes you less productive and you will be spending more time on the pc for web based work, e commerce, and email.

Q10 is nowhere near yoour BlackBerry 9000 series used to be.

Posted via CB10
    The Urban Brewer likes this.
    02-17-15 06:19 AM
    The ecosystem I'm referring to is everything. I've got apps (nothing that I'm necessarily partial to), music and movies from iTunes. The issue is that over the years I feel like I've invested a lot of time and money into the ecosystem that I'm finding hard to give up.

Posted via CB10
    So, what you meant was movies and music. You can't get movies and music on any other device except one slaved to Itunes? (answer: you can).

Yes, you've invested a lot of time and money into the (closed and locked down) ecosystem of movies and music that makes Apple the largest profit of any company in the world. They designed it that way because they always think of the consumer first. (wink).

Are you saying that you can't play the movies or music bought in Itunes on anything but an Iphone?

Again, please be more specific so people can offer suggestions.
    02-17-15 11:08 AM
    So the story continues...

As I spent more time with my Q10 I was enjoying it more and more. However, I woke up one morning to a notification on my phone that there was no SIM card detected. My SIM card works fine (I'm using it right now in my iPhone). I don't know what happened especially since it happened overnight while I was sleeping. I have found online that a new sim reader is pretty cheap but I just don't have the technical knowledge to change it myself. I'm debating if it's worth putting more cash into it at this point.

I did buy it used on eBay and I'm starting to realize that there may have been issues with it that I'm just now figuring out. When I connect the phone to my computer (I've tried three different ones) I get a notification that the usb device has malfunctioned. Couple that with the SIM card issue and I think I might be done with this phone.

Based on my limited experience with it, I would still recommend the phone to anyone interested. It really was a fun device.
    02-28-15 12:11 AM
    I understand this and I think it is normal. Before switching to blackberry I had so many paid apps in my iphone. I learned to get along with BlackBerry after awhile because I really like it as a communication tool especially for my emails. I've been holding on for my contract and willing to delay for another 2 months if my carrier will be carrying again BlackBerry Classic or Passport. If not I'm gonna be having iphone 6 as it comes with my plan and my Q10 is starting get hiccups from breaks and falls. As much as I love blackberry it's not easy to find and I don't want to buy unlock if I can have it on my plan without spending more money. Though I know I will comeback in a heartbeat if after 2years they will be offered in my carrier. I really do hope they will. I don't have issue using iphone but I just prefer BlackBerry. I enjoy using mine.

Posted via Q10
    02-28-15 02:30 AM
    This is the main reason I avoided apple - and it's offerings. They totally lock you in - hence the agony in attempting to move on. And when you do move on - you feel slightly robbed, why? Because your loyalty is a one-way agreement - from you to them.
    02-28-15 10:57 AM
    Why did you switch to the Q10 from iphone? Is it work related? I think once you are used to one, switching is a challenge. I hate iphone because I find it confusing - doesn't mean it's a bad phone- just not for me. I love my Q10 I need physical keys. Another friend of mine is the same and she got the BlackBerry classic after her ancient BlackBerry bit the big one and she's loves it. So, don't fret- if iphone is for you, stick with it

Posted via CB10
    02-28-15 04:41 PM