Hello CB,

after using a Nokia N9 for the last two years now, i am thinking of switching back to blackberry, namely to the blackberry q10.

I did really love the N9. It is a linux-based phone, without the huge android overhead, you get the root-password with it, you can more or less do what you want with it (you can even flash android on it if you think that is needed). it is definitely the most hackable phone i ever posessed. It was great. It has its quirks though, but i could live with them.
    Unfortunately, Nokia abandoned the N9, breaking all promises they made about it. Slowly, apps stop to work as their API change and Nokia does not update anything on the N9. Also, no app-developers are interested in making apps for the platform, as Nokia abandoned the OS on the day of delivery of the phones.
    So, f_ck nokia. Good job, Mr. Elop.

I want to switch back to blackberry, as i used a 9700 the two years before. While my good old 9700 now starts to make weird things (see here), I do badly want a Q10 wich is not that easy to get here in Germany.

I want a phone with a physical qwertz/y keyboard. This is the main reason i am switching back. I do not want an android phone - just because. That is no OS-bashing, i simply dont like android.

A few questions before i do the step:
    - Is there still this running-after-leaked-OSes, flashing phones, finding new features and stuff? I liked that.
    - Are there still absolute killer apps missing on BB10?
    - Is BB10 usable for the everyday person? I write lots of emails, use whatsapp, and i actually call people a lot. I dont use facebook, so a weird facebook app is not interesting for me. Anything you would say that is really badly made on BB10?
    - The Nokia N9 UI focused around swiping gestures, part of which started outside the display frame to make special things happen. I read about BB10 trying the same. I am used top the swiping itself, so i guess i might have no problems "learning" that on BB10. But still - is it good?

What else should i know before switching?

Thanks everyone.
    10-08-13 02:47 AM
    Hello CB,
    Hi

A few questions before i do the step:
    - Is there still this running-after-leaked-OSes, flashing phones, finding new features and stuff? I liked that.
    Yup. You don't need to, but like most of us, if you want to play, go for it.
    - Are there still absolute killer apps missing on BB10?
    All Apps you really need are there, some of the big hitters are missing in native store but can be side loaded. If you think playing with the OS flashing is fun, side loading is a ball
    - Is BB10 usable for the everyday person? I write lots of emails, use whatsapp, and i actually call people a lot. I dont use facebook, so a weird facebook app is not interesting for me. Anything you would say that is really badly made on BB10?
    Nope, it's still the best communication tool on the market for those
    - The Nokia N9 UI focused around swiping gestures, part of which started outside the display frame to make special things happen. I read about BB10 trying the same. I am used top the swiping itself, so i guess i might have no problems "learning" that on BB10. But still - is it good?
    Oh yes, swiping is the core of the way around. I have found that to perfect my swiping, I play fruit ninja
    What else should i know before switching?
    Thanks everyone.
    Er, watch these?

You won't be disappointed.
    damaltor likes this.
    10-08-13 03:04 AM
    Haha thank you man.
    10-08-13 03:16 AM
    Thanks for your advice. I do now have the Q10 and i love it, although i have one with a squeaky space key that is very annoiying. Will try to switch.
    11-09-13 02:29 PM
    Since you have the device and are happy to load leaks
    Then I'm sure you know by now that you can sideload just about any app... so the answer is no we aren't missing a whole lot of apps, unless you insist on them being native

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    11-09-13 03:30 PM
    Yup, ive seen that. Nice! As said, i love it. Still, that space key is annoiying.
    11-09-13 03:43 PM
    Yup, ive seen that. Nice! As said, i love it. Still, that space key is annoiying.
    Sorry to hear that. I'm sure it must be. Did you try getting it swopped out for a new one. You could also try lightly dampening a q-tip with alcohol and try clean the area lightly.
    I never thought I would be happy without a physical keyboard.... and then I got my Z10

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    11-09-13 05:37 PM
    Haha, will try. I heard that the z10's keyboard is good. I wanted explicitely a device with a physical keyboard though.
    11-10-13 04:38 AM