Sorry if that was insinuated unfairly.
    All good, just a friendly phone chat

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:26 PM
    I'm my circles, hence my valid and alternative viewpoint, a text is something demanding a near immediate response. Email would be a no, then it steps up to text and then a phone call. A text is often sent because people need me right away but don't want to call me in a meeting or while traveling with a group. See, we all have opinions that are valid, which is why choices are good. Defending not having choices that are fairly available or common (just my view from Observation of my own), does not seem like much except trying to make BB look flawless.
    Very well said. It's that kind of well explained logic that will get you labeled a kindergartner here. Or was it a brick wall....I can't remember?
    03-12-14 08:26 PM
    2 second Window where the phone goes from standby (or whatever, with the screen off) to on, while a message comes in, back to off- I'm assuming it doesn't stay on for 30 seconds just to show you the message?

Also I figured you would have your phone on silent at ur desk; maybe that's just my employer who demands this..

Posted via CB10
    Why would it only be 2 seconds? Perhaps it would be lit as long as (do I have to say it again) an Iphone, or perhaps as long as my 9930 does. Which is to say it's plenty of time....much longer than a useless 2 seconds.

No, not silent on desk. In fact never silent ever unless in besides mode. But, even when silent alerts happen on I-device or 9903 it gets my attention in peripheral vision and I do sometimes glance. But if it's silent it's not really important anyway.
    03-12-14 08:31 PM
    Why would it only be 2 seconds? Perhaps it would be lit as long as (do I have to say it again) an Iphone, or perhaps as long as my 9930 does. Which is to say it's plenty of time....much longer than a useless 2 seconds.

No, not silent on desk. In fact never silent ever unless in besides mode. But, even when silent alerts happen on I-device or 9903 it gets my attention in peripheral vision and I do sometimes glance. But if it's silent it's not really important anyway.
    BB7 notification options rock
    03-12-14 08:33 PM

Ok.. 5 seconds..

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 09:13 PM
    What's the point in your phone turning on and lighting up if it is in your pocket majority of the time? Do you need to light up your pockets lol.

As I recall from earlier it "shouldn't be on a table unless you're showing off your device".

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 01:21 AM
    Ok.. 5 seconds..

Posted via CB10
    Why only 5 seconds? If the screen it going to light up to read something it needs to be long enough to read something. And just let the user decide this.
    03-13-14 05:47 AM
    What's the point in your phone turning on and lighting up if it is in your pocket majority of the time? Do you need to light up your pockets lol.

As I recall from earlier it "shouldn't be on a table unless you're showing off your device".

Posted via CB10
    Why do people post things without reading the thread first or while making huge assumptions? I've discussed.....at length....the phone sitting on a desk, and not in my pocket.

You recal incorrectly. It shouldn't be on the table if you know it will light up and don't want people to see it light up unless you're simply showing off your device. And why would it be on the table since you're assuming that phones are pretty much always in people's pockets? Which they aren't.
    03-13-14 05:52 AM
    I agree with all your points, redlightblinking.

I don't see why so many people are assuming their views are the only ones and such that should be the default mode. I want the choice.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    People are not assuming their views are the only ones, they're simply sharing their opinion. You see, some people are open for new points of view. Obviously not you or redlightblinking, but maybe the person who started this thread is. After all, that's who people respond to in the first place.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    Lostonline and Karan Mohal like this.
    03-13-14 06:29 AM
    People are not assuming their views are the only ones, they're simply sharing their opinion. You see, some people are open for new points of view. Obviously not you or redlightblinking, but maybe the person who started this thread is. After all, that's who people respond to in the first place.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    This is not true at all. First , one particular person said, multiple times, that there is some "default and desired" view, referred to the majority , "common sense" etc, as an excuse that other opinions are insignificant. We never said other opinions are invalid, but speaking for myself, I've simply been rejecting the notion that all people use their phone in certain ways that others here describe or that certain methods are simply "good enough", or that certain features are not necessary. Those are all assertions I've been pushing back on. I'm not objecting to opinions, I'm objecting to others rejecting my opinions.

And, if you actually read the very first post and then my responses ....you'd see the OP is in DIRECT agreement with the "light up the screen" option, since he listed it specifically. I've simply been arguing the reasons why some people might think it's important (you know...defending their opinions), while OTHERS have been saying that this option is a down right "dumb feature". That's a direct quote.

SO, please take another look at the thread to see who said what, then re-evaluate your last post and notice how you're dead wrong. If fact you got everything you said completely backwards.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 03-13-14 at 09:55 AM.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-13-14 09:31 AM
    I don't know why people are attacking each other. From what i read so far 3. has been solved, 2. is most likely a server problem. The other ones, if they are not possible yet. maybe they should be at least as an option. Try sending an e-mail to blackberry and maybe in future os upgrades they can bring it in. If you want it, chances are other people would like it to. Blackberry OS 10 is only a year old, blackberry has done a good job so far upgrading in a timely manner bringing all the little things people want. but if they dont know what people want they cant fix it.
    anon8656116 likes this.
    03-13-14 10:27 AM
    I don't know why people are attacking each other. From what i read so far 3. has been solved, 2. is most likely a server problem. The other ones, if they are not possible yet. maybe they should be at least as an option. Try sending an e-mail to blackberry and maybe in future os upgrades they can bring it in. If you want it, chances are other people would like it to. Blackberry OS 10 is only a year old, blackberry has done a good job so far upgrading in a timely manner bringing all the little things people want. but if they dont know what people want they cant fix it.
    People are arguing about whether or not giving the option to light up the screen when a message comes in (like other phones including other BlackBerry's can do) is good idea. Some including the OP would like it, others think it's a "dumb feature" while others say that it goes against "common sense" or against "the default and desired view of the majority".

Personally, I would like the option that so many other phones already have.
    03-13-14 10:49 AM
    How does it handle notifications differently? You get a notification.....your phone makes a noise, or vibrates, or both. All phones do this. Then the message is in a list somewhere that you navigate to. So...how is that different?

Speaking out about something is more likely to get it changed than not speaking about about something. Soo...I disagree with the premise that it's not helpful.

Android allows both if you have an app. OS7 does both with an app. Only BB10 won't light up.

They don't have the resources to write in a toggle to light the screen? Is it really that complicated? Somehow they did for OS7 and figured out how to do it for phone calls. Maybe they should call Apple of Android devs for help.

Bloated? A toggle?

I don't HAVE to adapt to anything and neither does anyone else. Too bad BB hasn't figured that out yet. Darn free market and all....
    Blackberry 10 does not light up the screen, like the iPhone does. That's the difference. By comparison, the iPhone only has the screen as a visual notification indicator, but not an LED. Different phones, different ways of doing it. Android apparently does both, and that's how Android works. Different systems, different choices. You get to decide which phone suits your needs.

There is a difference between speaking out about something and saying: 'the folks in Waterloo are smoking crack or some other substance. They truly have no logical reason for all of the things they omit.' For one thing, this is just unnecessary, and for another, you don't know why the feature is not there. It could really be the case that BlackBerry thought the feature would not be that important, as the LED provides an energy-efficient substitute. It is obviously not a substitute for you, but a system cannot always provide you all the things that you need. And yes, you will have to adapt to what BlackBerry 10 does. Either that, or you switch. Simple as that.

You don't know what else BlackBerry is working on and you don't know how many people are currently working on BlackBerry 10. You don't know their priorities either. Something as trivial as a switch still requires some amount of work and it may just be that it's not a high priority for BlackBerry at the moment, or whether they are aware of this at all. I say, it doesn't help to complain and insult them, BlackBerry 10 is still a fairly young operating system and it cannot do everything yet.

As suggested by others, send them a suggestion and hope for the best. Getting an option is good, but you have to live with BlackBerry 10 as it is for the time being.
    Karan Mohal and BCITMike like this.
    03-13-14 10:53 AM
    Why do people post things without reading the thread first or while making huge assumptions? I've discussed.....at length....the phone sitting on a desk, and not in my pocket.

You recal incorrectly. It shouldn't be on the table if you know it will light up and don't want people to see it light up unless you're simply showing off your device. And why would it be on the table since you're assuming that phones are pretty much always in people's pockets? Which they aren't.
    I am not making that assumption, when I stated earlier that when people have them on tables and they light up others read their messages too, someone then mentioned that people shouldn't have them on tables in the first place.

All in all I still haven't a good enough reason in this thread FOR ME to want such a feature and could care less if it ever gets implemented.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 10:59 AM
    Why only 5 seconds? If the screen it going to light up to read something it needs to be long enough to read something. And just let the user decide this.
    ok, 10 seconds (I could do this all day) the point being, its a small time frame, in which you would have to be looking at your phone in order to notice the screen go on and off, as opposed to the LED which blinks until you check it, and doesnt use as much battery
    03-13-14 11:25 AM
    Blackberry 10 does not light up the screen, like the iPhone does. That's the difference. By comparison, the iPhone only has the screen as a visual notification indicator, but not an LED. Different phones, different ways of doing it. Android apparently does both, and that's how Android works. Different systems, different choices. You get to decide which phone suits your needs.
    Ah, so there isn't any difference other than the obvious one that we're already talking about. Uh, ok.

Your comparison to the LED might be valid if A: the screen stayed lit for a long time like the LED does, and B: it didn't show the message, in fact multiple messages. Clearly the feature is not designed to replace the LED since it only runs for a short time but to give people who are next to their phone at the time it alerts the option to simply look at it.

Yes, Android does both. So, does BBOS7. So, basically just about all smart phones out there except the BB10. Not sure about WP.

Yes, I get to decide which phone fits my needs. I think everyone already accepts this obvious premise, but doesn't use that as an excuse to simply accept what ever they are given and not complain about it.

There is a difference between speaking out about something and saying: 'the folks in Waterloo are smoking crack or some other substance. They truly have no logical reason for all of the things they omit.' For one thing, this is just unnecessary, and for another, you don't know why the feature is not there. It could really be the case that BlackBerry thought the feature would not be that important, as the LED provides an energy-efficient substitute. It is obviously not a substitute for you, but a system cannot always provide you all the things that you need. And yes, you will have to adapt to what BlackBerry 10 does. Either that, or you switch. Simple as that.
    I accept your criticism that the "smoking crack" comment is over dramatic. But, in the vacuum known as BB silence, its just as logical as anything else.

Yes, I don't know why the feature isn't there, but I don't believe that YOU believe that that I was serious about them smoking crack. But....do you have a better explanation? Perhaps they just don't care? Either one of those is less than acceptable in my humble opinion.

I completely reject that "BlackBerry thought the feature would not be that important, as the LED provides an energy-efficient substitute" for two reasons. First, nearly all phones already do this including their own. Second, the LED blinking is not a substitute for reading the message.

I also reject that "a system can not always provide the things I need" if the thing I need is something as simple as lighting the screen...something they already allow for other apps like Skype. For other phones like OS7. Something other phone makers can do as well. I'm not asking it to make pizza.

Yes, you pointed out the obvious that you either use the phones features or buy another phone. Not sure what the point was there.

You don't know what else BlackBerry is working on and you don't know how many people are currently working on BlackBerry 10. You don't know their priorities either. Something as trivial as a switch still requires some amount of work and it may just be that it's not a high priority for BlackBerry at the moment, or whether they are aware of this at all. I say, it doesn't help to complain and insult them, BlackBerry 10 is still a fairly young operating system and it cannot do everything yet.
    No, I don't know what Blackberry is working on because they have nearly zero communication about this stuff.

No, I don't know how many people are currently working on BlackBerry 10, nor do I care and nor does it have any bearing on this subject.

No, I don't know their priorities, which still has nothing to do with this subject.

Yes, a switch still requires some amount of work and yes it appears that it's not a high priority or they wouldn't have ignored it. Again, stating the obvious here.

I completely reject the notion that it doesn't help to complain . It always helps to complain otherwise they have no idea their dwindling user base is upset about something. Insulting them is not helpful, I agree, but I don't think it really hurts either, especially since i didn't really yell it at the headquarters, I wrote it on a forum web site in frustration. I think they would probably figure that out.

Yes, BB10 is fairly young and can't do everything yet....but I'm not asking it to do everything.....just the basics. At least do the stuff the previous OS could do. The market doesn't give a hoot about how young it is or how many people are working on it, they only care that is doesn't do basic things. BB has consistently dropped the ball on grasping this concept.

As suggested by others, send them a suggestion and hope for the best. Getting an option is good, but you have to live with BlackBerry 10 as it is for the time being.
    And, as I replied before, been there, done that. And, as I mentioned earlier, I don't have to live with any phone, I can choose another. If I want BB10, then yes, I have no choice but to accept it's shortcomings as well as complain about it, regardless of how many people say it shouldn't be complained about (all hail Ming)
    03-13-14 11:32 AM
    ok, 10 seconds (I could do this all day) the point being, its a small time frame, in which you would have to be looking at your phone in order to notice the screen go on and off, as opposed to the LED which blinks until you check it, and doesnt use as much battery
    Of course, that's the whole point. Of course your phone is near you. Somehow Apple and Berrypop and other Android apps figured this out.

The LED serves a different function, which is to remind of you of an alert that you may have not been able to hear or feel or see earlier. You walk into a the room, glance at phone: red blinking light = you missed something. Green means go, red means stop.

Perhaps you could settle on 20 seconds, or maybe 30 since that's the minimum screen timeout?
    03-13-14 11:36 AM
    I am not making that assumption, when I stated earlier that when people have them on tables and they light up others read their messages too, someone then mentioned that people shouldn't have them on tables in the first place.
    ....IF they don't want their message previews (or anything else that would light up the phone) to be seen.

I never said "people shouldn't have them on tables in the first place."

I also never said " it shouldn't be on a table unless you're showing off your device" even though you put that in quotes. I said if you don't want messages to be seen and know your phone lights up....don't put it on the table, keep it somewhere else.

All in all I still haven't a good enough reason in this thread FOR ME to want such a feature and could care less if it ever gets implemented.
    Thank you for your opinion.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 03-13-14 at 12:13 PM.
    03-13-14 11:52 AM
    Guys (and gals?). You just don't get it.
    Regardless of what you say, you will get educated in an overly agressive, sarcastic and annoying manner in this thread.
    And, heaven forbid, you may have forgotten or overlooked or misunderstood what was written on page #3, paragraph #5, line #2. How dare you? Or, you just didn't get it. Or, you are just too unadvised to understand. Please note: others are genius and always right, you are the opposite. And not worthy to be treated respectfully.
    This thread turned from being quite interesting into something utterly pointless and annoying. I'm outa here.

(and yes, I voluntarily admit it, I am the dumbest contributor of all, so need to remind me on that, and me leaving isn't a big loss at all, yeah, ok, blablarant&raveblabla......)
    BCITMike likes this.
    03-13-14 12:13 PM
    Having the option to have new messages light the screen would not be a bad thing...as long as it's just an option.

Arguing about it over and over expecting a different result is just stupid.
    Lostonline, tack and SmileDahling like this.
    03-13-14 12:29 PM
    Guys (and gals?). You just don't get it.
    Regardless of what you say, you will get educated in an overly agressive, sarcastic and annoying manner in this thread.
    And, heaven forbid, you may have forgotten or overlooked or misunderstood what was written on page #3, paragraph #5, line #2. How dare you? Or, you just didn't get it. Or, you are just too unadvised to understand. Please note: others are genius and always right, you are the opposite. And not worthy to be treated respectfully.
    This thread turned from being quite interesting into something utterly pointless and annoying. I'm outa here.

(and yes, I voluntarily admit it, I am the dumbest contributor of all, so need to remind me on that, and me leaving isn't a big loss at all, yeah, ok, blablarant&raveblabla......)
    This coming from the person whose 2nd contribution in the thread was to say "So who told you a BB10 phone does not turn on its screen when a call arrives?" When in fact I was pointing out that it does turn on the screen and using that as the entire justification for other alerts as well.

This coming from the person who then jumped to "Apparently you never used a BB10 phone. So why do you come here to complain about 'features' or their absence on a phone that you don't even know?"

Yes, the sweet irony of hearing about aggressiveness or sarcasm from someone who says this. Didn't know you were still here, so it's seem odd to hear you say you're "outta here" now.
    03-13-14 12:45 PM
    I completely reject that "BlackBerry thought the feature would not be that important, as the LED provides an energy-efficient substitute" for two reasons. First, nearly all phones already do this including their own. Second, the LED blinking is not a substitute for reading the message.
    I am not going to discuss this point again. The LED is a visual indicator, just as the iPhone's screen. It's obviously not completely the same thing, as you cannot get a glimpse of the message, but it has a similar purpose. Apparently BlackBerry thought the same when they chose for the LED. That you like the iPhone's version more is a matter of preference. This thread demonstrates that the feature you want is probably not of such crucial importance as you make it out to be.

I also reject that "a system can not always provide the things I need" if the thing I need is something as simple as lighting the screen...something they already allow for other apps like Skype. For other phones like OS7. Something other phone makers can do as well.
    I'm afraid, I have to state the obvious yet again, but you are asking for something that BlackBerry 10 just does not have. You can argue all day about that, but that's how it is. You accept what the product offers to you and wait, or you get another product. There are lots of things I want to change about BlackBerry 10, but I am just a consumer, not BlackBerry.

I completely reject the notion that it doesn't help to complain . It always helps to complain otherwise they have no idea their dwindling user base is upset about something. Insulting them is not helpful, I agree, but I don't think it really hurts either, especially since i didn't really yell it at the headquarters, I wrote it on a forum web site in frustration. I think they would probably figure that out.
    I think you misunderstood me there, I meant complain and insult. I agree, it can help to complain. But it should always be in a respectable manner and constructively. And I don't think it is helpful at all to claim some sort of entitlement to a feature and to tell us how dumb BlackBerry is for not including that one feature you want. I'm sure nobody would mind if BlackBerry 10.3 has it.
    BCITMike likes this.
    03-13-14 12:49 PM
    This coming from the person whose 2nd contribution in the thread was to say "So who told you a BB10 phone does not turn on its screen when a call arrives?" When in fact I was pointing out that it does turn on the screen and using that as the entire justification for other alerts as well.

This coming from the person who then jumped to "Apparently you never used a BB10 phone. So why do you come here to complain about 'features' or their absence on a phone that you don't even know?"

Yes, the sweet irony of hearing about aggressiveness or sarcasm from someone who says this. Didn't know you were still here, so it's seem odd to hear you say you're "outta here" now.
    Quod erat demonstrandum.
    03-13-14 12:56 PM
    It's obviously not completely the same thing, as you cannot get a glimpse of the message, but it has a similar purpose. Apparently BlackBerry thought the same when they chose for the LED. .
    How is it apparent? How did you arrive at this conclusion when so many others are equally as apparent, which is to say we have no idea?

That you like the iPhone's version more is a matter of preference. This thread demonstrates that the feature you want is probably not of such crucial importance as you make it out to be.

How does it do that? The entire existence of the thread based on a complaints of missing features....and this was the first one listed. Just because a smattering of random people in a forum happen to not care doesn't in any way mean that that it's not of crucial importance to me. Only the various people who said it's not of crucial importance to them.

I'm afraid, I have to state the obvious yet again, but you are asking for something that BlackBerry 10 just does not have. You can argue all day about that, but that's how it is. .
    I'm not arguing about that. I'm arguing with those that don't think it should be an option. Those that actually do mind if it's in 10.3. People who said it's a "dumb feature".

You accept what the product offers to you and wait, or you get another product. There are lots of things I want to change about BlackBerry 10, but I am just a consumer, not BlackBerry.
    Yes, you've expressed this thought three times now. It's obvious. Thanks.........but what's the point? Are you saying that you can't defend to others why it's something to be considered because you're just a consumer? I don't understand your point here.

And I don't think it is helpful at all to claim some sort of entitlement to a feature and to tell us how dumb BlackBerry is for not including that one feature you want. I'm sure nobody would mind if BlackBerry 10.3 has it.
    As the consumer, I can claim any entitlement I want if they want my business. Too bad BB didn't listen to what people thought they were entitled to a long time ago otherwise they might not be in the position there are in. I didn't say they were dumb for not including a feature I want, ("dumb" was actually used by others to describe this requested feature) but I'm not alone in pointing out BB's complete incompetence when it comes to certain aspects of business. I hope that 10.3 has it too.
    03-13-14 01:11 PM
    Quod erat demonstrandum.
    I'm sure you were planning on using that fancy reply no matter what happened. Well played.
    03-13-14 01:17 PM
135 ... 3456