Because there is no choice. The feature does not exist on BlackBerry 10 and there is no one besides BlackBerry who can do something about it.
    This didn't address the issue that you responded to which was..."I don't see why so many people are assuming their views are the only ones and such that should be the default mode. I want the choice."
    That poster simply wondered why people think their view is the only or default view. Has nothing to do with what BlackBerry's role is.

As many pointed out here, BlackBerry 10 handles notifications differently than, say, an iPhone, which may explain why BlackBerry had no reason to implement it thus far and why it is in no hurry to do so.
    How does it handle notifications differently? You get a notification.....your phone makes a noise, or vibrates, or both. All phones do this. Then the message is in a list somewhere that you navigate to. So...how is that different?

It is not helpful to be disgruntled about it and say that BlackBerry's developers are stupid for not offering a choice.
    Speaking out about something is more likely to get it changed than not speaking about about something. Soo...I disagree with the premise that it's not helpful.

. Every mobile OS is different and every developer makes different choices. Just as BlackBerry 10 does not light up the screen when a notification comes in, the iPhone has no equivalent of an LED notification.
    Android allows both if you have an app. OS7 does both with an app. Only BB10 won't light up.

Moreover, BlackBerry has limited resources and cannot implement everything. Even if they could, it is not always in their best interests to implement it, as the system may become bloated or unnecessarily complex. It's not always as simple.
    They don't have the resources to write in a toggle to light the screen? Is it really that complicated? Somehow they did for OS7 and figured out how to do it for phone calls. Maybe they should call Apple of Android devs for help.

Bloated? A toggle?

In the end, you have to adapt to your software, because the software will not adapt to all of your needs.
    I don't HAVE to adapt to anything and neither does anyone else. Too bad BB hasn't figured that out yet. Darn free market and all....
    03-12-14 06:26 PM
    Great, another kindergarten argument thread. It's comical that some here are actually trying to argue about the features of an iPhone 4.
    03-12-14 06:51 PM
    Great, another kindergarten argument thread. It's comical that some here are actually trying to argue about the features of an iPhone 4.
    Who is arguing about the features of an Iphone 4?

What's the kindergarten reference?

Did you have something to add to the "kindergarten" thread or did you just feel the need to post here to announce that everyone else is in kindergarten..... then leave with no comment relative the thread?
    03-12-14 07:17 PM
    I will leave you to argue with yourselves. Enjoy.
    03-12-14 07:19 PM
    I will leave you to argue with yourselves. Enjoy.
    Strange. Do you enter all threads and do this?
    03-12-14 07:22 PM
    No just the ones like this one...you know, brick wall type stuff.
    03-12-14 07:31 PM
    No just the ones like this one...you know, brick wall type stuff.
    What is "brick wall type stuff"?
    03-12-14 07:35 PM
    What is "brick wall type stuff"?
    ^

Scroll up.

CDN BB
    03-12-14 07:38 PM
    Ha! Exactly.
    ^
    Scroll up.
    CDN BB
    03-12-14 07:44 PM
    ^

Scroll up.

CDN BB
    And.......?
    03-12-14 07:44 PM
    Ha! Exactly.
    Just as I thought. You actually don't know what you meant (or aren't brave enough to describe it) and don't even know what the thread is about.

Quite an entrance you've made. Looks like you've found a friend though. Reminds me of kindergarten.
    03-12-14 07:45 PM
    And.......?
    And read.

Read IT ALL. Every page. Take notes if your short term mem suffers.

CDN BB
    03-12-14 07:48 PM
    And read.

Read IT ALL. Every page. Take notes if your short term mem suffers.

CDN BB
    Why? Did you have a point? Or just not brave enough to describe what you believe to be "brick wall type stuff"?

Had YOU actually read it, you'd know that I've already done that. But feel free to keep embarrassing yourself.
    03-12-14 07:52 PM
    They should give us the choice to do that, if BlackBerry is really a great communications tool, then we should be able to adjust it the way we want it to work. Just like the old legacy BlackBerry s.

Star Wars fan? Come join us C00121E8E
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-12-14 07:54 PM
    Have you ever seen two brick walls argue? Don't answer.
    Why? Did you have a point? Or just not brave enough to describe what you believe to be "brick wall type stuff"?

Had YOU actually read it, you'd know that I've already done that. But feel free to keep embarrassing yourself.
    Lostonline likes this.
    03-12-14 08:01 PM
    That's actually not entirely accurate. There are only two options to prevent the iPhone screen from lighting up. Either you disable the lock-screen notification per app, in which case you will not see anything on the lock screen either, or you turn on Do Not Disturb mode. In the latter case, you will receive a lock-screen notification, but without a vibration or sound. It is not possible to control the screen separately without turning anything else off (notification or vibration/sound).
    You are actually wrong. You can have a banner and it will still show on the lock screen. In fact the "show on lock screen" setting is a separate slider for each app, or you can turn it off by the master override slider. The iPhone offers pretty fine grained control over notifications. You can also have VIP email show on the lock screen and have it light up, which I love. That way, only my texts and VIP messages light up my screen. Just my preference.
    03-12-14 08:02 PM
    Have you ever seen two brick walls argue? Don't answer.
    Why don't you want me to answer?

I'll answer anyway. No, I have never seen two brick walls argue. Have you? Is that REALLY what you meant by "brick wall type stuff"? How does this apply to this thread or kindergarten?

Now....this is where i'll give you an out and return the favor by saying....don't answer that. Here's your chance to stop digging deeper.

Try to resist.
    03-12-14 08:10 PM
    Regarding why it makes sense to have the screen turn on for a phone call and not a message (to me) is that with a phone call, you have 20 seconds (approx) to answer it, in order to have that live conversation with someone. In my circles, you usually only call someone if you require an immediate response. So it makes sense that a call would light up your entire display, and show who is calling. A text message on the other hand, is not necessarily something that requires immediate response, so it makes sense to notify the recipient that a message has arrived, but not as important to have that message read the moment it is delivered. So in this respect, an LED is a nice way to notify that you have a message waiting.

As far as security is concerned I dont think that knowledge of who is calling could be as damaging as a text where you not only have the name, but the content (actual message) showing up the on screen as well.

In contrast, if the only notification you get is the phone's screen coming on for a few seconds as a text comes in, you risk not knowing about the message at all (until you unlock your phone) if you don�t happen to have the phone's screen in sight. Obviously this comes down to personal use; personally, I dont leave my phone facing me at all times, so having the screen show an incoming text briefly, wouldn�t do anything but drain the battery.

All that being said; sounds like the screen turning on briefly feature could be implemented very easily, so if people want it, bring it (just leave us the ability to disable it).
    I'm my circles, hence my valid and alternative viewpoint, a text is something demanding a near immediate response. Email would be a no, then it steps up to text and then a phone call. A text is often sent because people need me right away but don't want to call me in a meeting or while traveling with a group. See, we all have opinions that are valid, which is why choices are good. Defending not having choices that are fairly available or common (just my view from Observation of my own), does not seem like much except trying to make BB look flawless.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-12-14 08:13 PM
    Step one, reach for phone and either swipe slightly or touch number key to light screen. Step two, hope the you get the previews and not just the icon, if not step two is to touch the icon to get the previews....which are not the actual messages, just who it's from and subject. Step three touch the preview, then touch it again. Wait for animation......and here's your message. I prefer to just look at the phone. Especially after having not one but two devices that allowed me to do this.

Just make this an option. People who like to be in the "look at my phone but not my messages" club can feel confident to put their phone on the table for all to see, but have the freedom to shroud the screen from those pesky friends to avoid those embarrassing messages getting seen while checking.
    I think your in danger of being a but dramatic here.. I could say that I'd rather perform this 3 step abomination versus staring at my phone non stop for hours on end, waiting for that 2 second Window in which I can read an incoming messaage; but that seems like hyperbole

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:14 PM
    I'm my circles, hence my valid and alternative viewpoint, a text is something demanding a near immediate response. Email would be a no, then it steps up to text and then a phone call. A text is often sent because people need me right away but don't want to call me in a meeting or while traveling with a group. See, we all have opinions that are valid, which is why choices are good. Defending not having choices that are fairly available or common (just my view from Observation but my own), does not seem like much except trying to make BB look flawless.
    I agree. I didn't realize I was trying to make BlackBerry look flawless tho!

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:15 PM
    I think your in danger of being a but dramatic here.. I could say that I'd rather perform this 3 step abomination versus staring at my phone non stop for hours on end, waiting for that 2 second Window in which I can read an incoming messaage; but that seems like hyperbole

Posted via CB10
    Now you are being dramatic. It also does not hurt battery life for me. My iPhone lasts longer than my Z10 did for sure.
    03-12-14 08:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    What is this "2 second window' you speak of?

Also, if the phone is next to you on the desk, and thus can be heard making a sound....why would you need to stare at it non stop for hours on end?

I have a bunch of devices on the desk. .I don't have to stare at any of them. But only the BB10 devices require me to reach for them and tap and swipe, etc. The others light up and then......I muster all the energy I can, and move my eyeballs slightly to look at them. It can be exhausting, but I like to keep my eyeballs in shape (was that dramatic? )
    03-12-14 08:19 PM
    *shrug* I'm haappy your iphone has a good battery.

I think the OP was comparing a 4s and the q10? (seems like so long ago..) one point to consider may be that the Q is LTE which is pretty battery hungry, so if your getting just slightly better battery life with the q (which I think is what he said) that's still not terrible for the Q

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:22 PM
    What is this "2 second window' you speak of?

Also, if the phone is next to you on the desk, and thus can be heard making a sound....why would you need to stare at it non stop for hours on end?

I have a bunch of devices on the desk. .I don't have to stare at any of them. But only the BB10 devices require me to reach for them and tap and swipe, etc. The others light up and then......I muster all the energy I can, and move my eyeballs slightly to look at them. It can be exhausting, but I like to keep my eyeballs in shape (was that dramatic? )
    2 second Window where the phone goes from standby (or whatever, with the screen off) to on, while a message comes in, back to off- I'm assuming it doesn't stay on for 30 seconds just to show you the message?

Also I figured you would have your phone on silent at ur desk; maybe that's just my employer who demands this..

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:24 PM
    I agree. I didn't realize I was trying to make BlackBerry look flawless tho!

Posted via CB10
    Sorry if that was insinuated unfairly.
    03-12-14 08:25 PM
135 ... 23456