Email notifications goes away on my Q10 after I read them on my computer or other phones.

No problems there.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    03-09-14 06:29 PM
    This is it exactly. As I understand it Blackberry phones are for work power houses, people who get a lot of emails, people who need to be efficient. Well how is it efficient if you have to go through that step process each time you get a message? We're talking about a tremendously simply feature which phones have been able to do for years and years. If you care about battery life and privacy, which are perfectly reasonable things to care about, then you should have the option to turn off the function.

It baffles me because if my phone vibrates, makes a sound, LED blinks I'm going to want to know what the message is, if it's important, if I need to reply. It's far more efficient for that message and the name of the person and the icon of what app/message function it has come from to blink up on screen so I can instantly see whether I even need to pick up the phone to look at it (so talking about phone being on a desk whilst I work on PC in this instance).

Like I say I respect concerns about battery life and privacy but it utterly baffles me that Blackberry wouldn't put this function in for those who want it. Has it been this way since OS7?
    The simple answer to this is that the folks in Waterloo are smoking crack or some other substance. They truly have no logical reason for all of the things they omit. They could easily write some code over the weekend and prevent another percentage point of BB faithful from jumping, or people like you from leaving. But they don't. Instead, they are silent for months on end only to eventually drop out a nugget of some sort....like a feature that every other phone on the planet has had for years. Or, that BBM is going cross platform. Great. Even more reason for people to leave.

Now, you'd think with all the extra time on their hands from not actually writing any basic code for something as simple as turning on the backlight, that they'd have tons of time developing marketing strategies. But..............................I digress.

Help me Obi Wan Chen, you're my only hope.
    03-09-14 06:37 PM
    1. I gotta say, I've moved from the iPhone as well. I've gotten used to seeing just the LED, try using Hub++ or an LED app, I find that changing the LED notif for different things tend to help me decide whether I want to check it out or not. I'm using a pouch so I'm not really bothered by the screen on turning on. Then again, I still don't see this a hindrance at all, it's more of a preference if you ask me.

2. Maybe try checking out the server, mine adjusts fine when I send emails and read them. I have them on IMAP if that helps. I read somewhere if I'm not wrong that POP won't sync.

3. I think that is answered well enough below, just dig into the settings on the browser.

4. Welcome to the world of physical keyboards, where you'll have a constant love hate relationship! I love them physical keyboard, but you gotta hate that squished screen. This is why I'm waiting for a slider from BlackBerry haha. I tend to use my Z10 more than my Q because of this.

5. Takes some getting used to, be quite honest with you, the iPhone can do what it do because it has a button! BB10 can't cause it has none, until the classics comes out. Still not a problem, I gotten used to it after like a week of use haha.

6. THIS, now this is an issue. An annoying one too! I experience hub lag too sometimes, this we will need BlackBerry to push out an update. Can't do anything unless you want to do a reset and have all your data gone and start off new.

Apart from that, I hope you continue to enjoy your BlackBerry as much as I am and have a pleasant week ahead! Cheers!
    03-09-14 06:37 PM
    I recently switched from iPhone 4S to the Q10. First Blackberry I've ever owned but I've owned a fair few physical Qwerty keyboards in the past (including the Sidekick 2 which to this day is the most loved phone I've ever owned).

I'm mostly happy with the Q10 and am slowly getting used to the gestures and shortcuts. However I do have a few issues, some of which I'm sure there's a solution to which is where I'm hoping you can help. I'll start with the issues which I think there must be a solution to.

1) Screen does not turn on when I get a text message, email or WhatsApp message. I get the vibration, sound LED flash and notification on the lock screen. But the screen never turns on. I thought I had been through all the settings menus by now but I still can't seem to fix this.
    I can see why you would find this to be annoying but I don't know if this is a feature you'll ever see on a BlackBerry. Considering that they have been decimated in the consumer market, when BlackBerry listens to its customers, it will be listening to those in the enterprise market. From what I've seen in my own experience, in the corporate IT word, privacy and security are the two biggest concerns and they don't mesh well with the feature you're hoping to see.

I do understand why you like the ease of seeing messages as they pop up on your phone, but to be honest I'm surprised at how many people like this feature. When I'm out with work colleagues, the majority of them carelessly leave their phones out on the table as we enjoy a drink or two. It's almost become a sport for us to see who can be the first to embarrass a colleague by reading the message that pops up and displays on their phone while it's laying there on the table. Seeing someone scramble, red-faced to grab there phone and clear off some steamy text message before anyone else can read it is also rather entertaining. Now for our group, the only concern is steamy text messages or emails about some embarrassing problem or item a person's had shipped. For anyone who deals with confidential information through work, having it pop up on the screen at a bad time could really cause some major head-aches. So in my group, I'm one of the only people who has never had an issue with our little game.... why? It's because when I get a message on my z10, the only thing that happens is the red light starts to blink. I pick up my phone and take a look at the lock screen in complete privacy and judge whether or not I want to swipe into the hub. Remember, the whole notification LED and prompting people to pick up their phone and check for messages is one of the things that made BlackBerries "crackberries" in the first place!!! Your other issues, I can completely understand, and hopefully a solution will be around shortly. But give me privacy over anything any day
    Lostonline, Q10Bold and Johberry like this.
    03-09-14 07:04 PM
    I can see why you would find this to be annoying but I don't know if this is a feature you'll ever see on a BlackBerry. Considering that they have been decimated in the consumer market, when BlackBerry listens to its customers, it will be listening to those in the enterprise market. From what I've seen in my own experience, in the corporate IT word, privacy and security are the two biggest concerns and they don't mesh well with the feature you're hoping to see.

I do understand why you like the ease of seeing messages as they pop up on your phone, but to be honest I'm surprised at how many people like this feature. When I'm out with work colleagues, the majority of them carelessly leave their phones out on the table as we enjoy a drink or two. It's almost become a sport for us to see who can be the first to embarrass a colleague by reading the message that pops up and displays on their phone while it's laying there on the table. Seeing someone scramble, red-faced to grab there phone and clear off some steamy text message before anyone else can read it is also rather entertaining. Now for our group, the only concern is steamy text messages or emails about some embarrassing problem or item a person's had shipped. For anyone who deals with confidential information through work, having it pop up on the screen at a bad time could really cause some major head-aches. So in my group, I'm one of the only people who has never had an issue with our little game.... why? It's because when I get a message on my z10, the only thing that happens is the red light starts to blink. I pick up my phone and take a look at the lock screen in complete privacy and judge whether or not I want to swipe into the hub. Remember, the whole notification LED and prompting people to pick up their phone and check for messages is one of the things that made BlackBerries "crackberries" in the first place!!! Your other issues, I can completely understand, and hopefully a solution will be around shortly. But give me privacy over anything any day
    Not really sure I'm buying this. Admins have control of a whole host of features that they can disable for security reasons, and this could easily be one of them. Just like your friends at the table, they could easily choose to either turn off this feature...(clearly they LIKE the feature because they enabled it) and could easily choose not to put their phone on the table......which could just as easily light up and display the name of the person calling. That's not great for security either but every BB lights up and displays the caller when the phone rings.

OS7 did allow this, and to this day my 9930 lights up and displays the message so I have to do nothing except look at it, and if I want to read more I just scroll. So I'm not sure why they'd suddenly think it's some violation of their security legacy to have this capability in BB10, at least as a user or admin option. They really can't get away with the whole "efficient communications" line if they make it painfully harder to keep up with communications. Forcing users to swipe instead of just a tap was the nail....the lack of a popup or backlight is the hammer. Together, there's a coffin somewhere waiting.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    03-09-14 07:28 PM
    Whister post a screen shot of your OS version.
    03-09-14 10:32 PM
    Privacy. When screen is off, you don't want it turning on until YOU want it too. I guess some people are ok with it coming on all by itself, maybe send BlackBerry an email with the options you would like.

The screen does in fact come on when pulled from holster (a deliberate act).

Welcome to having a communication device first, toy second.

CDN BB
    IPhone allows you to have a choice. BlackBerry should as well.

Depriving consumers of choice doesn't make BlackBerry a superior "communication device." The "toy" performs better in this case.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    tack likes this.
    03-10-14 12:18 AM
    I rather have the screen not turn on...its off for a reason, that's why I have the LED...

Posted via CB10
    Lostonline and Q10Bold like this.
    03-10-14 12:34 AM
    Screen turning on is dumb. I have seen many embarrassing messages on people's iphones when they leave them face up on a table. If you ask me, turning on my screen to check messages is hardly a hassle at all especially when paired with BeBuzz or Hub++ LED apps.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 06:22 AM
    Pretty much the only thing you can adjust is the browser tabs. All your other requests won't happen (for now).
    There is no option to turn on the screen when you get a message. I'm hoping they can implement some swiping from the screen off to display the lock screen.
    Turning on the screen would be pretty bad for the battery, on a z10 anyway.

The hub does slow down at times. It's even worse on a z10. Hoping they fix this eventually as well because it is not as fluid as it should be.
    I almost feel like this only started happening after 10.2.1 actually
    I think, and I am guessing of course, that as they bring back the full functionality features from legacy OS that could not be done from the start, they will have to tweek it over time for smoothness, battery life, etc. My feelings are look haw much it has improved overall in just a year.
    03-10-14 08:18 AM
    Screen turning on is dumb. I have seen many embarrassing messages on people's iphones when they leave them face up on a table. If you ask me, turning on my screen to check messages is hardly a hassle at all especially when paired with BeBuzz or Hub++ LED apps.

Posted via CB10
    Is turning the screen on "dumb" when you get a phone call? Because people can see who's calling you.

Strange that nearly every phone, even feature phones and lots of BlackBerry's , have turned on the screen for years even though it's "dumb".

If people are concerned about their phone being read at a table.....WHY are they putting it on a table????? Is it because they WANT to see the phone alert them to something? Or is it just to prove they deserve to sit at the table?

When you say "turning on your screen is hardly a hassle at all", you mean that simply looking at your phone....not touching it....just looking at it to see the message....is NO different that reaching for it....then swiping or button pushing....then another swipe...then a tap.......then another tap.........then wait for the phone to do a little graphics dance....then....you might see the message if your were last in the hub list......OR you could be up to 2 MORE swipes away. Now your 20 seconds in still trying to see if the darn message. Yea, that's hardly a hassle. After all, most people that carry BlackBerry's really have nothing better to do anyway.

How does BeBuzz or Hub++ make any difference? They don't effect this at all...they simply give you variations on vibe/ring, etc, but you still must go through the same sequence above just to actually see the message.
    tack likes this.
    03-10-14 09:08 AM
    Honestly, I don't know what some people in this thread are talking about.
    Of course, the screen of a locked BB10 phone lights up if a phone call arrives, and shows name, number and picture of the caller, if available.
    Not instantly showing incoming messages is excellent for privacy and for battery savings. It would be my preferred setting anyway, but I understand that some might prefer to having a choice.

A small hint for the OP, maybe helping to overcome frustration with the screen not lighting up when messages arrive: on a Q, when the phone is locked and the screen is off, just push one of the keys that contain numbers (the key block on the left side of the keyboard), and you will instantly see the lock screen and the new/unread messages. No need to swipe or to unlock the phone, if you don't want.
    03-10-14 09:08 AM
    I recently switched from iPhone 4S to the Q10. First Blackberry I've ever owned but I've owned a fair few physical Qwerty keyboards in the past (including the Sidekick 2 which to this day is the most loved phone I've ever owned).

I'm mostly happy with the Q10 and am slowly getting used to the gestures and shortcuts. However I do have a few issues, some of which I'm sure there's a solution to which is where I'm hoping you can help. I'll start with the issues which I think there must be a solution to.

1) Screen does not turn on when I get a text message, email or WhatsApp message. I get the vibration, sound LED flash and notification on the lock screen. But the screen never turns on. I thought I had been through all the settings menus by now but I still can't seem to fix this.

2) Email notifications do not disappear when I've read the email on my computer. This is the most annoying when at work. I'll get an email through, notification will go on my phone. I'll read it on the desktop but the LED will keep flashing on the phone and icon will remain on the lock screen until I unlock the device. On the iPhone notifications disappeared almost immediately once the email has been read so I assume there's a way to do this on the Q10 too?

3) Browser tabs disappear once you close the browser. This is very annoying. I'll quite often load a tab with the intention of reading it later. However, I've noticed if you close the browser once reopened all tabs are gone. I know I can search through the history for it but that's not ideal. I also know I can just keep the browser open but I make a habit of closing apps when I'm not using them.

4) Can only see a limited number of notifications on the lock screen (three of four?). Quite annoying when you have more than that and only want to take a quick glance to see if any are of interest.

5) Can't access the quick menu from the top in every screen. Bit annoying when I've become used to having that option on iPhone to be able to quickly switch off WiFi or whatever.

6) Hub screen is slow to switch between areas. I've experienced hangs of over a second which doesn't sound like a lot but is very noticeable when using it. Considering this is one of the main areas of the phone it's very annoying that it should lag. I only have 1 work account, 1 personal account and WhatsApp signed up so I assume it should be quite fluid.

I know it sounds like a bit of a moan but I really am mostly happy with the phone. Any help or suggestions on any of the above would be great!
    1) You're right it doesn't turn on the moment a message comes in. I like that. When I'm around my friends with iPhones I peek at who sent a message... I supposed it could be a on/off option but personally I like it off the way it is.

2) Not really an issue but I see what you mean. Luckily this has come in handy a few times. We're all busy and just because you read the email once doesn't mean you managed to reply or look it over again.

3) As someone has already mentioned there are browser settings you can change.

4) The screen is only so big. At least the essentials are displayed.

5) Most apps have the settings or menu options by swiping down from the top. That's why you can't do it.

6) My hub works as intended with no lag. Do you ever restart the phone? Even though I'm not experiencing any problems I restart my phone once a week just to keep it running as best as possible. In my hub I have 3 email accounts (one work exchange account constantly sending and receiving, twitter and visual voicemail.

There's no doubt it's a huge adjustment coming from a 4s. Having used my friend's iPhones over the years while having a BlackBerry, there isn't much that makes me want to buy an iPhone especially with iTunes...

I think in time, you'll truly appreciate this platform not mention the call quality and sound quality

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 09:10 AM
    I think, and I am guessing of course, that as they bring back the full functionality features from legacy OS that could not be done from the start, they will have to tweek it over time for smoothness, battery life, etc. My feelings are look haw much it has improved overall in just a year.
    I simply don't buy the battery life issue, at least for a backlight turn on upon message. Many things can be turned on and off by the user to adjust the battery life, it's up to them. You can choose to leave on every single radio and stream music and play video at full brightness, or you can choose to make adjustments.
    03-10-14 09:14 AM
    Is turning the screen on "dumb" when you get a phone call? Because people can see who's calling you.

Strange that nearly every phone, even feature phones and lots of BlackBerry's , have turned on the screen for years even though it's "dumb".
    So who told you a BB10 phone does not turn on its screen when a call arrives?
    Apparently you never used a BB10 phone. So why do you come here to complain about 'features' or their absence on a phone that you don't even know?
    03-10-14 09:14 AM
    1) You're right it doesn't turn on the moment a message comes in..
    Actually it doesn't turn on ever....unless you get a phone call and then....oops....everyone can see who's calling you. Same difference. And, even when the phone doesn't turn on...do you pick it up....cover it from all angles....then look at it secretly? Do you turn away from the table? Or do you just go through the BB10 message acquisition dance and eventually get the message that anyone sitting next to you can read?

1) When I'm around my friends with iPhones I peek at who sent a message... I supposed it could be a on/off option but personally I like it off the way it is.
    That's because they are putting their phone on the table for you (and them) to see and adjusting the phone so the message pops up on their screen. They WANT to see it, and most likely don't care if you see it, otherwise they would not put it in front of you.

Do they peek at your phone when it rings?
    03-10-14 09:20 AM
    I use Hub++ for different led colours for different sort of incoming messages, and special sounds or colours for incoming emails that include my company's name so I k kw instantly when I receive one of their emails. Hub++ has so many options for that, you never have to check your phone again to see who or what you received a message from.

As for email notification, I use IMAP and have no problems. Reading an email on my laptop instantly causes my phone to stop blinking.

My Hub works seamlessly on my Z10, don't know why others' aren't as smooth? I have 5 accounts up and running, shouldn't be a problem. I'm on 10.2.1.2102.

Browser tabs can be remembered, check the settings.

I can see up to 5 notifications per kind. As in, when on lock screen, I can click on the email icon and see the last 5 emails, last 5 BBM messages when clicking on that icon, etc.

And because BB10 entirely works through gestures, swiping from the top is needed for other functionalities. But when you swipe up from the bottom your on the home screen and you can get to the quick settings there by just one more swipe.

When you get the hang of swiping through everything really quick, you'll see everything is accessible much quicker than on Android. I really hate it when I'm on my Android tablet and swipe, but it doesn't work of course. I use the buttons and it feels so much slower.

Posted with my Z10 via CB10
    03-10-14 09:27 AM
    So who told you a BB10 phone does not turn on its screen when a call arrives?
    Apparently you never used a BB10 phone. So why do you come here to complain about 'features' or their absence on a phone that you don't even know?
    Uh, what? I never said a BB10 phone does not turn on its screen when a call arrives....in fact I've been arguing the opposite and using that as the example of why it should be able to do this for other things too.

But nice work at jumping straight to the "Apparently you've never used a BB10 phone" attack before reading. FYI- I've got 2 BB10 phones sitting in front of me now. I'm quite familiar with their features.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-10-14 09:41 AM
    I use Hub++ for different led colours for different sort of incoming messages, and special sounds or colours for incoming emails that include my company's name so I k kw instantly when I receive one of their emails. Hub++ has so many options for that, you never have to check your phone again to see who or what you received a message from.
    This doesn't' address the OP's concern, this only lets you know who the message is from if it's one of your setup contacts. (and you can remember all of the various flashing light sequences or sounds) You still have to do everything being described in order to see the message or at least part of it.
    03-10-14 09:44 AM
    Honestly, I don't know what some people in this thread are talking about.
    Of course, the screen of a locked BB10 phone lights up if a phone call arrives, and shows name, number and picture of the caller, if available..
    No one is saying anything different....in fact using that as a reason that it should turn on for other messages as well.

A small hint for the OP, maybe helping to overcome frustration with the screen not lighting up when messages arrive: on a Q, when the phone is locked and the screen is off, just push one of the keys that contain numbers (the key block on the left side of the keyboard), and you will instantly see the lock screen and the new/unread messages. No need to swipe or to unlock the phone, if you don't want.
    This is true, but still one more step. And, on my q and z, sometimes I don't get a default view of the previews....i just get the icon with the star. Not sure why. I then have to tap the icon to get the previews, which seem to only show sender and subject, no first line of message....then tap the preview.... twice.... to get the hub. If I'm in the car and have the phone in a cradle....and simply want to glance down to see a message that says "call me when you get a chance"...."or new assignment"........or something that helps me with my day.....I simply can't do it. I have to fumble with taps and swipes. It's so much better to just glance.
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-10-14 10:47 AM
    Uh, what? I never said a BB10 phone does not turn on its screen when a call arrives....in fact I've been arguing the opposite and using that as the example of why it should be able to do this for other things too.

But nice work at jumping straight to the "Apparently you've never used a BB10 phone" attack before reading. FYI- I've got 2 BB10 phones sitting in front of me now. I'm quite familiar with their features.
    I qouted you, so everybody (including you) can read what you wrote.
    If you wanted to express something else, you might want to try to not be that equivocal next time.
    03-10-14 01:49 PM
    I qouted you, so everybody (including you) can read what you wrote.
    If you wanted to express something else, you might want to try to not be that equivocal next time.
    Yes, you quoted me. But apparently you didn't actually read the quote or any quotes before it for any context like everybody else did.

Equivocal? Just admit you jumped the gun. It's pretty clear that I was asking a question of someone else who said "turning on the screen is dumb". You ignored all of that and cherry picked a few words to quote as an excuse to get out a desperate "you must not even own the phone" comment. And even the comments you quote don't indicate what you're suggesting.

You might want to try and read the thread next time. But thanks for the distraction. Now, back to the thread............
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-10-14 02:28 PM
    Whister post a screen shot of your OS version.
    Switched from iPhone 4S to Q10. One week in. Mostly Happy. Few issues, maybe you can help?-3eptvaq.png

And thanks everyone for the continued help. I never realised pressing a number key would turn the screen on. That is something of a help.

However, I have to ask what the heck is it with everyone trying to see their friends phones when they get a message? How about a bit of respect of privacy? If you really care about not having your message seen then don't leave your phone on the table. Leaving the phone out on the table is in itself quite rude and something I wouldn't do when out with friends. But I also know my friends wouldn't purposefully sneak a peek at my phone and they definitely wouldn't try and swipe my phone when I got a message. This is where screen on when you receive a message comes in handy. Chatting with friends at a bar? Phone in pocket, feel it vibrate, pull phone out just enough to be able to clock the notification, instantly know whether you need to look at it further or if you can quickly get back to the conversation you were having.

Also, in terms of battery life I've been very surprised to find that the battery is hardly any better than the iPhone 4s which is two years old. I've been using the Blackberry for exactly the same tasks as the iPhone. Emails, Texts, WhatsApp, occasional call, some web browsing. If anything I've been using the Blackberry less as I can't use Flipboard which was my go to app whenever I had a few minutes to spare. Very surprised by this.
    03-10-14 02:38 PM
    Could someone answer my latest thread

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 or either Z
    03-10-14 02:41 PM
    I simply don't buy the battery life issue, at least for a backlight turn on upon message. Many things can be turned on and off by the user to adjust the battery life, it's up to them. You can choose to leave on every single radio and stream music and play video at full brightness, or you can choose to make adjustments.
    It's hard to argue with you. You don't accept valid points and your opinion is contrary to the majority.
    If you're the type of person who can retrieve the phone within 3 seconds every vibration, you might benefit. Everyone else appreciates the led and lock screen notification. I can see several of last few messages, not just one, and I can view each one with double tap.

Overall, it's for battery savings, but even if there was the option, I'd disable it.

The assumption is when screen on, your eyes are looking. It screen is off, your eyes are not, so displaying brief message is silly.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-10-14 02:43 PM
135 1234 ...