I recently switched from iPhone 4S to the Q10. First Blackberry I've ever owned but I've owned a fair few physical Qwerty keyboards in the past (including the Sidekick 2 which to this day is the most loved phone I've ever owned).

I'm mostly happy with the Q10 and am slowly getting used to the gestures and shortcuts. However I do have a few issues, some of which I'm sure there's a solution to which is where I'm hoping you can help. I'll start with the issues which I think there must be a solution to.

1) Screen does not turn on when I get a text message, email or WhatsApp message. I get the vibration, sound LED flash and notification on the lock screen. But the screen never turns on. I thought I had been through all the settings menus by now but I still can't seem to fix this.

2) Email notifications do not disappear when I've read the email on my computer. This is the most annoying when at work. I'll get an email through, notification will go on my phone. I'll read it on the desktop but the LED will keep flashing on the phone and icon will remain on the lock screen until I unlock the device. On the iPhone notifications disappeared almost immediately once the email has been read so I assume there's a way to do this on the Q10 too?

3) Browser tabs disappear once you close the browser. This is very annoying. I'll quite often load a tab with the intention of reading it later. However, I've noticed if you close the browser once reopened all tabs are gone. I know I can search through the history for it but that's not ideal. I also know I can just keep the browser open but I make a habit of closing apps when I'm not using them.

4) Can only see a limited number of notifications on the lock screen (three of four?). Quite annoying when you have more than that and only want to take a quick glance to see if any are of interest.

5) Can't access the quick menu from the top in every screen. Bit annoying when I've become used to having that option on iPhone to be able to quickly switch off WiFi or whatever.

6) Hub screen is slow to switch between areas. I've experienced hangs of over a second which doesn't sound like a lot but is very noticeable when using it. Considering this is one of the main areas of the phone it's very annoying that it should lag. I only have 1 work account, 1 personal account and WhatsApp signed up so I assume it should be quite fluid.

I know it sounds like a bit of a moan but I really am mostly happy with the phone. Any help or suggestions on any of the above would be great!
    03-09-14 02:07 PM
    3) Browser tabs disappear once you close the browser. This is very annoying. I'll quite often load a tab with the intention of reading it later. However, I've noticed if you close the browser once reopened all tabs are gone. I know I can search through the history for it but that's not ideal. I also know I can just keep the browser open but I make a habit of closing apps when I'm not using them.
    Open the Browser, then go into Settings and Display and Actions. Select "My Tabs From Last Time" in the "On Startup Show" drop-down.
    03-09-14 02:24 PM
    What OS do you have?
    03-09-14 02:32 PM
    What OS do you have?
    Also have number 10.2.1.1925. Not sure which number you were after.

And thank you PygmySurfer! I thought the functionality must have been in there somewhere.
    Last edited by WhitsterN; 03-09-14 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Added Info
    03-09-14 02:35 PM
    Pretty much the only thing you can adjust is the browser tabs. All your other requests won't happen (for now).
    There is no option to turn on the screen when you get a message. I'm hoping they can implement some swiping from the screen off to display the lock screen.
    Turning on the screen would be pretty bad for the battery, on a z10 anyway.

The hub does slow down at times. It's even worse on a z10. Hoping they fix this eventually as well because it is not as fluid as it should be.
    I almost feel like this only started happening after 10.2.1 actually
    03-09-14 02:43 PM
    Pretty much the only thing you can adjust is the browser tabs. All your other requests won't happen (for now).
    There is no option to turn on the screen when you get a message. I'm hoping they can implement some swiping from the screen off to display the lock screen.
    Turning on the screen would be pretty bad for the battery, on a z10 anyway.
    Wait what? It's a phone. How can the screen not turn on when you get a message to show you the message you've received? This baffles me. The only saving grace to this is that I have the leather pouch case on the way which as I understand it will switch the screen on when I take the phone out of it.
    03-09-14 02:52 PM
    For now, most of these are complaints, not issues. Seems like you need to spend more time with your phone. Nothing you can do except get used to them or hope for an update that will bring these options.

Channel for BlackBerry users in India
    mk2234 and joejuck like this.
    03-09-14 02:54 PM
    Wait what? It's a phone. How can the screen not turn on when you get a message to show you the message you've received? This baffles me. The only saving grace to this is that I have the leather pouch case on the way which as I understand it will switch the screen on when I take the phone out of it.
    Privacy. When screen is off, you don't want it turning on until YOU want it too. I guess some people are ok with it coming on all by itself, maybe send BlackBerry an email with the options you would like.

The screen does in fact come on when pulled from holster (a deliberate act).

Welcome to having a communication device first, toy second.

CDN BB
    03-09-14 02:59 PM
    Privacy. When screen is off, you don't want it turning on until YOU want it too. I guess some people are ok with it coming on all by itself, maybe send BlackBerry an email with the options you would like.

The screen does in fact come on when pulled from holster (a deliberate act).

Welcome to having a communication device first, toy second.

CDN BB
    You should be able to toggle between no screen on and screen on. It's a very basic feature which surely many people want and the few people who need the privacy can toggle it off?

I also don't understand how Blackberry, famous for their handling of emails, can't handle email on the phone better than an iPhone. If it's read on the server then the next time the phone syncs it should realise it's been read and remove the notification surely?
    SmileDahling, anand_ma and tack like this.
    03-09-14 03:16 PM
    At least BlackBerry listens to customers' complaints and fixes them.

From my Q10
    03-09-14 03:18 PM
    You should be able to toggle between no screen on and screen on. It's a very basic feature which surely many people want and the few people who need the privacy can toggle it off?
    In iphone the screen is on because there is no led! Thats why.
    BUT
    There is a blinkin app in BBW but why do you need it? The led is a cool battery saver!!

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    03-09-14 03:33 PM
    Maybe the email thing is a server issue. Mine is all right- if I read an email, compose etc its right there in the Q10

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    03-09-14 03:34 PM
    1. Screen on Z10 latest 10.2.1 does light when I get something.

2. Depends on refresh rate you can always force a refresh by tapping the three dots then refresh
    3. Settings already answered
    4. In latest os you can load more notification in lock

5. It is two swipe away swipe from down then from up note on blackberry apps can continue to run when minimized to active frame
    6. I have three emails Facebook LinkedIn whatsapp no hiccups sometimes with Facebook hub is 10 apps in one and still better then other solutions
    03-09-14 04:36 PM
    IPhones automatically turn the screen on with every notification? No wonder their battery life is bleh.
    Daniel Tyrrell and 46Nico40 like this.
    03-09-14 04:43 PM

2. Depends on refresh rate you can always force a refresh by tapping the three dots then refresh
    3. Settings already answered
    4. In latest os you can load more notification in lock

5. It is two swipe away swipe from down then from up note on blackberry apps can continue to run when minimized to active frame
    6. I have three emails Facebook LinkedIn whatsapp no hiccups sometimes with Facebook hub is 10 apps in one and still better then other solutions
    Thanks.

2) That doesn't get around the problem of the phone not stopping the LED flashing or having the notification in the lock screen once I've already read it on the desktop. Surely workaholics don't want to read and reply to an email on their desktop to then look at their phone to think they have the message and take the few seconds (only a few seconds but they add up) to check and realise it's the email they've already dealt with.

5) That's the technique I've been using. Doesn't get around how you can't access that quick menu from the lock screen. Only a very minor thing I know, but something I grew used to with the iPhone.
    03-09-14 04:48 PM
    IPhones automatically turn the screen on with every notification? No wonder their battery life is bleh.
    You can toggle on an app by app (or email, call text etc) basis. So the option is, quite rightfully I should say, available to you.
    03-09-14 04:57 PM
    It also drains battery. It screen came every message, the display may come on 50 times a day without me watching.

But, just a right swipe on lock screen easily gives you a quick view of new messages and you can decide to view or go back to work.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 05:06 PM
    As for email sync, what type is it? Pop, imap or exchange? That doesn't happen with exchange by design and same with imap. If you are still using pop, don't. Pop is worst of all 3. Exchange is best.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 05:09 PM
    5. The difference is one quick swipe up before swipe down. That?s way better than exiting apps. Swipe down in app is the menu invocation.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 05:12 PM
    For #5 if you have an Otterbox that is similar for the Z10 you may have difficulty getting the menu when swiping down from the top. It works flawlessly without the case but with the case on i have to start swiping from the angled part of the case for the gesture to work on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 05:34 PM
    Have to say I agree. I personally think it's a really dumb feature, but hey if (enough) people want the feature, may as well add it. I suspect all of a sudden there will be complaints of battery life after it's added, and people enable it though haha.
    03-09-14 05:59 PM
    At least BlackBerry listens to customers' complaints and fixes them.

From my Q10
    Ha, that's funny. Thanks for the chuckle.
    tack likes this.
    03-09-14 06:05 PM
    Have to say I agree. I personally think it's a really dumb feature, but hey if (enough) people want the feature, may as well add it. I suspect all of a sudden there will be complaints of battery life after it's added, and people enable it though haha.
    Your phone lights up with you get a phone call....is that a dumb feature? After all...people could see who is calling you.

Many phones will light up upon a message so you can actually read it.. Heck, even my old Razr and LG flip phone could do this. Only BlackBerry, in their infinite bubble of being out of touch, doesn't provide its power communication phones designed with efficiency in mind any ability to simply display a message when it comes in. Nope, Instead, you've got to turn on the screen. Unlock the phone. Then tap. Then one more tap. Then wait for a cute little dance...then read the message. Only about 9 seconds longer than on a 9900 with Bebuzz. After the 25th time in one day you start counting how much productivity you've lost and don't really care about that extra 5 minutes of battery life you may have gained.
    tack and SmileDahling like this.
    03-09-14 06:14 PM
    What? I have a Z10 and Q10. Neither ever light up upon message ever. For anything. I must reach over...swipe, or button push, then navigate to the message. Are you sure? I've never seen any video on-line of a BB10 phone lighting up a screen when a message arrives (besides a phone call). Even the devs have said that BB has not released api for them to do this.....otherwise they would do it.
    03-09-14 06:20 PM
    Your phone lights up with you get a phone call....is that a dumb feature? After all...people could see who is calling you.

Many phones will light up upon a message so you can actually read it.. Heck, even my old Razr and LG flip phone could do this. Only BlackBerry, in their infinite bubble of being out of touch, doesn't provide its power communication phones designed with efficiency in mind any ability to simply display a message when it comes in. Nope, Instead, you've got to turn on the screen. Unlock the phone. Then tap. Then one more tap. Then wait for a cute little dance...then read the message. Only about 9 seconds longer than on a 9900 with Bebuzz. After the 25th time in one day you start counting how much productivity you've lost and don't really care about that extra 5 minutes of battery life you may have gained.
    This is it exactly. As I understand it Blackberry phones are for work power houses, people who get a lot of emails, people who need to be efficient. Well how is it efficient if you have to go through that step process each time you get a message? We're talking about a tremendously simply feature which phones have been able to do for years and years. If you care about battery life and privacy, which are perfectly reasonable things to care about, then you should have the option to turn off the function.

It baffles me because if my phone vibrates, makes a sound, LED blinks I'm going to want to know what the message is, if it's important, if I need to reply. It's far more efficient for that message and the name of the person and the icon of what app/message function it has come from to blink up on screen so I can instantly see whether I even need to pick up the phone to look at it (so talking about phone being on a desk whilst I work on PC in this instance).

Like I say I respect concerns about battery life and privacy but it utterly baffles me that Blackberry wouldn't put this function in for those who want it. Has it been this way since OS7?
    Last edited by WhitsterN; 03-09-14 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added words
    03-09-14 06:28 PM
135 123 ...