I feel like I've been in a fools paradise. My first smartphone was an IPHONE 3Gs. So right off the bat I started with touch screens. I've used qwerty phones in the past. 9780 and the 9800. Is this nostalgia I'm feeling? Not sure really. One thing I can say is. The Q10 seems to be working as planned. I switched to preform a sort of "Smartphone Detox".

In the past I've never been happy with anything about any phone. With iPhones I would jailbreak them so I could be rid of the bandage apple strickens users with and with android I'd be rooting and installing custom roms daily. Aside from that, the search for "must have apps" or "viral videos" would consume so much of my time.

So here is my thinking on this matter;

1. Smaller display = less desire to hunt around on youtube, vemio, etc.
    2. Fewer apps & smaller scale- less to siphon through. Snap is available but the scaling of apps for the display is not perfect.
    3. Communication first - this is the foremost reason for having a smartphone. It should tale priority.

Maybe I'm just fooling myself. Maybe not. Anyone else feel this way or done something similar?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 06:20 AM
    I think it's fine if you know your limits and want to limit yourself. I feel just the opposite though. Went from a Z10 to a Z30....and would like to keep going in that same arena.
    07-04-14 07:18 AM
    I went from a Note 3 to a Q 10 and I don't miss the screen real estate at all.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    riss89 likes this.
    07-04-14 08:04 AM
    I went from a Note 3 to a Q 10 and I don't miss the screen real estate at all.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Pretty much where I am. I've realized that there are quite a few convenient bells and whistles I've left behind. But for the most part, that's just what they are bells and whistles!

If I'm out and about I don't need my whole Computer with me. I may need to do a reference check to Google from time too time. But do I need a 5" screen to do so. Most definitely not.

That being said. It's not like I've abandoned the conveniences completely. I have my old Galaxy S3 serving are an MP3 player. And conveniently enough I can hotspot form my Q if there's something more I need. But to be honest. I feel better with less than more at this point. It's nice to feel that little bit less connected.

Posted via CB10
    seluje and bigjman like this.
    07-04-14 02:59 PM
    I am using Q10 and note 3..i whatsapp alot with my Q10 and doing all other things with my note 3. Q10 still lack alot of apps..cannot fully rely on Q10.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 05:11 PM
    Not sure if I should have done this, but I purchased a Q10 off eBay this morning. For 200.00 shipped, I figured it would be worth the try. Looking forward to receiving it and if all goes well, might see a classic in my future (or passport).
    Evilguppy and seluje like this.
    07-04-14 05:33 PM
    BlackBerry is a serious communication tool.
    To make time, get a Blackberry. To kill time, get an Iphone, or a Samsung.

Rockin' a Q10 - Z10 combo
    fuztop, Q10Bold, riss89 and 3 others like this.
    07-04-14 06:55 PM
    I've recently been thinking the same thing. Went from a Z10 to Z30 but not really needing the big screen and don't watch media on my phones. Hmmm......decisions.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 07:00 PM
    Pretty much where I am. I've realized that there are quite a few convenient bells and whistles I've left behind. But for the most part, that's just what they are bells and whistles!

If I'm out and about I don't need my whole Computer with me. I may need to do a reference check to Google from time too time. But do I need a 5" screen to do so. Most definitely not.

That being said. It's not like I've abandoned the conveniences completely. I have my old Galaxy S3 serving are an MP3 player. And conveniently enough I can hotspot form my Q if there's something more I need. But to be honest. I feel better with less than more at this point. It's nice to feel that little bit less connected.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, I fire up the hotspot from my Q10 to use my iPod Touch if I really need certain apps, and I do have an iPad anyway, with cellular, but most of the time, it's the Q10 and I don't feel I'm missing out at all. Hell yesterday I even learned how to move my iTunes library to my Q10 using Blackberry link, it's all good.
    07-04-14 07:05 PM
    I went from torch 9800 to iphone 5 to Q10 to Z30 and then back to Q10.

The Q10 does everything a smartphone is supposed to do brilliantly.

I do wish for screen real estate though. The passport will be the device for me.

Differentiate or Die
    07-04-14 07:54 PM

Very well said.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    07-04-14 08:12 PM
    Yup, I fire up the hotspot from my Q10 to use my iPod Touch if I really need certain apps, and I do have an iPad anyway, with cellular, but most of the time, it's the Q10 and I don't feel I'm missing out at all. Hell yesterday I even learned how to move my iTunes library to my Q10 using Blackberry link, it's all good.
    At some point (dawn of the iPhone). People began to believe it's better to put all your eggs in one basket. We'll needless to say that's not necessarily "the best way". To break it down to the first and foremost priority. What do you do in a situation that you can't contact someone in case of emergency because you killed your phone by listening to music and playing games? Or if you want to see something larger why not view it on something larger?

The sentiment of "wants over needs" seems to be the push in the major markets. I don't know a single person that uses every feature on the galaxy s5 or the iPhone 5s. And if your phone isn't going to last you a full day is that the best utility to have?

Well now I'm ranting, but really?

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:27 PM
    At first I was absolutely torn. I had become so accustomed to having a large screen. I felt that I would miss the video watching, the larger screen for reading, etc. Obviously I made the decision to go forward with the switch. NO REMORSE! Not a single second thought. Media should be dealt with on something media focused. A smartphone should be treated as it is a tool for communication and productivity.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-14 08:35 PM
    At first I was absolutely torn. I had become so accustomed to having a large screen. I felt that I would miss the video watching, the larger screen for reading, etc. Obviously I made the decision to go forward with the switch. NO REMORSE! Not a single second thought. Media should be dealt with on something media focused. A smartphone should be treated as it is a tool for communication and productivity.
    To each their own. I'm never against something built for a specific function. Because I love music more than others, I agree of having a specific media/audio player, portable or not, that can play truly high resolution audio. That is true bliss for me. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't get to enjoy your favorite music on the go. I play classical music sometimes at work, and it relieves the pressure and makes me more focused. That should be a good thing, right? It's like drinking wine. It's actually good for your health if you're drinking moderately and occasionally, but if you're doing it all the time and in heavy amounts, it becomes an addiction, and it's a bad thing.

07-04-14 09:01 PM
    I to switched from a Z10 to a Q10, then a Z30 back to be Q10. I always go back to the keyboard no matter what device I cheat on my Q10 with

Posted via CB10 for Q10
    07-05-14 12:50 AM
    Maybe im an old schooler but I seriously think the phone is primary a communication tool.

The fact we can nowadays navigate in phones, use apps and listen to music in our phones is a hella big plus, but when u start sacrificing convenience and being practical, for the sake of having bigger phones almost the size of a tablet, is when I think that we start to lose our north.

For that, I think that the Q10 is a modern wonder for guys like me, who still love the qwerty, but dont wanna go with unconfort monster phones that do not fit in a pocket.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to be able to see some pics and videos in real state while using my Q, but the sacrifices that need to be made for media enjoyment at thee xpense of being practical is not worthwhile to me.

Last but no least, I dont like people seeing me using hella big phones in public places because I can become the prey of a thief. Most morons here think that bigger phones = bigger wallets, and will not hesitate to even kill you for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 01:33 AM
    Maybe im an old schooler but I seriously think the phone is primary a communication tool.

The fact we can nowadays navigate in phones, use apps and listen to music in our phones is a hella big plus, but when u start sacrificing convenience and being practical, for the sake of having bigger phones almost the size of a tablet, is when I think that we start to lose our north.

For that, I think that the Q10 is a modern wonder for guys like me, who still love the qwerty, but dont wanna go with unconfort monster phones that do not fit in a pocket.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to be able to see some pics and videos in real state while using my Q, but the sacrifices that need to be made for media enjoyment at thee xpense of being practical is not worthwhile to me.

Last but no least, I dont like people seeing me using hella big phones in public places because I can become the prey of a thief. Most morons here think that bigger phones = bigger wallets, and will not hesitate to even kill you for a phone.

Posted via CB10
    The Z30 size might be my limit, anything bigger is downright crazy for me.

07-05-14 01:46 AM

Nice. Blackberry should make this their slogan.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Q10Bold and Anatomy like this.
    07-05-14 01:47 AM
    BlackBerry - time in your hands (no pun intended for BBOS phones)

07-05-14 01:51 AM
    Let me ask you this, you say you want big screen for media, but when was the last time you watched an entire 2 hour movie on your Iphone or your Galaxy phone?

I have personally never watched a full length movie on my phone and sometimes just watch some Youtube clips. Small screen for occasional video watching is a small sacrifice for the keyboard productivity, small size portability, one hand usability, and full day battery life.

The largest screen I had on a smartphone was 3.5 inches on a Nokia N8 and the switch to a Q10 was fairly easy for me. While I do not need the screen to be any bigger, I do not want the screen to be any smaller than my current Q10 size either.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the Q10 so far.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    07-05-14 02:39 AM
    While on the 7 train back and forth from Queens to Manhattan there were plenty of people sat down for 40min-1hr at a time watching their stuff.

As we've seen on battery screens CrackBerrys have posted, many don't use their phone at akk. It's other aspects like browsing and wacthing/reading that's most important.

CB10 on the Q10
    07-05-14 02:56 AM
    To each their own. I'm never against something built for a specific function. Because I love music more than others, I agree of having a specific media/audio player, portable or not, that can play truly high resolution audio. That is true bliss for me. But it doesn't mean you shouldn't get to enjoy your favorite music on the go. I play classical music sometimes at work, and it relieves the pressure and makes me more focused. That should be a good thing, right? It's like drinking wine. It's actually good for your health if you're drinking moderately and occasionally, but if you're doing it all the time and in heavy amounts, it becomes an addiction, and it's a bad thing.

Very well said

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 07:34 AM
    While on the 7 train back and forth from Queens to Manhattan there were plenty of people sat down for 40min-1hr at a time watching their stuff.

As we've seen on battery screens CrackBerrys have posted, many don't use their phone at akk. It's other aspects like browsing and wacthing/reading that's most important.

CB10 on the Q10
    This is a very relevant fact. I too am a transit commuter in Toronto. My trip to work in the morning is roughly an hour and a half once on my front step. I usually listen to music on my way and will also check out my favorite sites( reddit, crackberry, pocketnow, etc).

Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge mobile computing enthusiast. I feel it can make the world a smaller place and a much more accessible place for all. After using many different smartphones. And trying to have access to everything I'd want on one handset. We'll my battery would need to be charged immediately after arriving at work. I don't have a desk. No office. I work in construction and am constantly moving.

It seems that people prefer to carry less. It does make sense. Bags are lighter and less to potentially loose. Except for the ability to have confidence that you are going to make it through the day on a single charge.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 07:49 AM
    I have both too, and when it comes down to it, I prefer the Q10. The Z30 battery life is a little better, and I get signal where my Q10 and Z10 don't, but the keyboard and ease of use with my Q10 makes it my favorite device.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:48 AM
    I recently switched from Z30 to Q10 to get the feel for a keyboard in case I am tempted by the new passport/classic.

I honestly miss my Z30 I found it was just an amazingly well put together phone but I'm getting more used to smaller screen size and keyboard.

I did enjoy the massive screen for my kijiji, and ebay surfing but well see.

Posted via BBQ10
    07-05-14 12:32 PM
26 12