I have been a long time BlackBerry user and it is actually the only smart phone that I have ever owned. I also have a small business and my phone is critical to its successful operation. Hence Blackberry I am currently using a 9630 Tour.

For me the critical factors in a phone are: the phone, speaker phone and the PIM (contacts, calendar, tasks, notes). Being able to tether to my laptop is also critical. The browser is also very important. Apps are really nice but are just that.. nice to have. A physical keyboard is also very important to me, as I send many long emails a day. I utilize Microsoft Outlook to for my computer desktop PIM data and sync it with Outlook using the Blackberry desktop software.

On the surface, I thought I would be the ideal person for a move to the BlackBerry OS10 devices. My requirements and expectations were very simple. I essentially just want what I have now but with a newer faster device and a better web browsing experience.

I have been given a new Verizon Q10 phone and am struggling with whether or not to switch to this device. In the meantime, it has been sitting on my desk for weeks gathering dust.

I have been following the forums for weeks now and have been discouraged by what I have read. I guess it makes a certain amount of sense with the completely new OS, but it seems like OS10 still falls short of OS7 in many of these basic critical features and their implementation. I am beginning to think that Blackberry's biggest competitor might be BlackBerry.

Some of the things that are discouraging me the most are as follows:
    • Horror stories about the new contact manager.
    • It sounds like the new desktop software is not up to the task.
    • The calendar application seems to be lacking some features.
    • Supposedly tasks do not sync.
    • Supposedly notes do not sync.
    • Disappearing emails and texts.
    • Smaller limits on email sizes.
    • While apps are not as important to me, it sounds like fewer available.
    • Sideloading apps can be a process involving debug keys and expirations.
    • It sounds like people do enjoy their phones, but that they spend a lot of time making them work.

I am sure I am forgetting some other things as well. I just wanted to check with this group and get some advice. Are my impressions and information incorrect? How much risk am I taking if I decide to make the switch? I hate the idea of not using the Q10, but I need to be productive and do not want to negative impact my business.

Thanks!
    09-06-13 07:19 AM
    Welcome to the Forums. The Q10 does have it's pros and cons. If you already have the device, why not do the switch. If you don't like it, you can always go back.
    09-06-13 12:09 PM