Hello, I'm switching from a Z to a Q

I have an almost full 16gb memory card with pictures and music that i want to keep.

Furthermore, i have an allstate email on my blackberry which requires encryption and a password.

I tried turning encryption off, it asks for my password, turns it off, then right back on.

When I move my memory card over to the Q, I am given a message that the media card is encrypted and none of my files are available.

Will the device switch wizard take care of that? or should i remove my allstate email, then unencrypt, then move the card, then add the email back in?
    05-20-14 11:06 AM
    Hello, I'm switching from a Z to a Q

I have an almost full 16gb memory card with pictures and music that i want to keep.

Furthermore, i have an allstate email on my blackberry which requires encryption and a password.

I tried turning encryption off, it asks for my password, turns it off, then right back on.

When I move my memory card over to the Q, I am given a message that the media card is encrypted and none of my files are available.

Will the device switch wizard take care of that? or should i remove my allstate email, then unencrypt, then move the card, then add the email back in?
    You'll have to unencrypt before swapping it to the new device. Inconvenient, but secure.
    05-20-14 11:09 AM
    You probably know this but whatever you do make sure the Z10 does not get wiped before you've successfully moved the card over. You'll lose access to whatever is on the card should that happen.

Assuming your Allstate mail is all server side then there's no harm in removing the account to do what you are saying. Should work.
    KDB84 likes this.
    05-20-14 11:19 AM
    Copy the contents of the media card to your computer, make sure you can open all files on the computer,Pics and such, then move card, format install your apps requiring encryption, then copy contents back.
    05-20-14 11:20 AM
    You'll have to unencrypt before swapping it to the new device. Inconvenient, but secure.
    i have no problems doing that. i understand the emphasis on security.

So i have removed the allstate email and have it unencrypting now, how can i tell when the files have finished unencrypting?
    05-20-14 11:20 AM
    16gigs on a slow work pc lol.
    that would take FOREVER!

thanks for the suggestion though, i did consider that, with USB AND over wifi, but yea it would take way too long.

Maybe I'll wait till i get to my beast home PC to do this

You probably know this but whatever you do make sure the Z10 does not get wiped before you've successfully moved the card over. You'll lose access to whatever is on the card should that happen.

Assuming your Allstate mail is all server side then there's no harm in removing the account to do what you are saying. Should work.
    thats some scary mess too.

the good thing is now i know first hand that encryption at least semi works...

if someone steals my phone they cant get in without the PW. if they get the media card out they cant access it without formatting.

gotta love blackberry!
    05-20-14 11:21 AM
    Copy the contents of the media card to your computer, make sure you can open all files on the computer,Pics and such, then move card, format install your apps requiring encryption, then copy contents back.
    decrypting is going to take forever...

im trying your way now, it says 15 minutes remaining. i think the majority is music, so as long as i have a list of the music i had i can always just delete the music from the media card and decrypt the rest

UPDATE:
    Sending the files over USB is much faster but WILL NOT WORK! I was fooled into thinking it would because some of the files had already been decrypted

HOWEVER
    Sending over wifi file browser WILL work! I would recommend sending a small cluster at a time and verifying them then sending another cluster.

UNFORTUNATELY
    I deleted the folder that had all the music on it from the device, but i still have the copy on the PC. I wonder, if i move it BACK to the device, then send it over wifi if it will work...
    Last edited by offthahorseceo; 05-20-14 at 07:42 PM.
    05-20-14 05:02 PM
    UPDATE 2:

If you have a copy of the media card on your PC, and its encrypted, and you somehow delete the files from your device (but not wipe), you can move the backed up files back to the device and they will work.

As long as the original encryption key is on the device, the files will be read and decrypted by the device. if you backup the files, then wipe the device, then move them back, i imagine they will NOT work.
    05-20-14 09:29 PM