OK, I have a password installed on my Q10 anyway (it's a requirement of my Exchange IT guys for work email and calendar etc) so I don't think I'll get too many pocket dials, but does anyone use the Swipe to Unlock feature or do you press the button to start the unlock process?

I'd imagine the Swipe feature would also use a fair bit of battery power always being on looking for the swiping action.

I've found it a pain to press the button each time though....

What are all the cool Q10 owners doing?
    06-05-13 07:56 PM
    I have gestures turned off when locked to save battery, coming from the iphone 4 I'm used to the button push

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 08:02 PM
    I've got the Z10 with gestures turned on. I've never pocket dialed yet. And the battery is typically at 80% after a normal 15-hour day of use.
    06-05-13 08:07 PM
    I was thinking it would be awesome if you could unlock the phone by pressing a series of keys. Like 'y' 'y' or 'o' 'n'.
    06-05-13 08:11 PM
    Gestures to unlock do not affect my battery life. Not on my playbook and not on my Z10. Both confirmed with battery guru app. I have excellent standby battery drain.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 12:16 AM
    I heard that the swipe drained the battery quicker, so I shut off the swipe gesture and use the button.
    I came from an Android phone so I'm used to pressing the button to activate the phone.
    06-06-13 12:27 AM
    press any button with a number on it on the keyboard and the screen will turn on, if it's more convenient than reaching for the power button . i disable gestures too, for battery life improvement, and this little trick is great.
    Last edited by balenax; 06-06-13 at 01:29 PM.
    06-06-13 01:11 AM
    press the any button with a number on it on the keyboard and the screen will turn on, if it's more convenient than reaching for the power button . i disable gestures too, fot the battery life improvement.
    Thank you Sir

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 01:18 AM
    press the any button with a number on it on the keyboard and the screen will turn on, if it's more convenient than reaching for the power button . i disable gestures too, fot the battery life improvement.
    Now THAT is a good tip! Thank you!
    06-06-13 01:47 AM
    If you have the phone in a case/holster with a magnet, that will shut off the gesture detection anyway, so there's no need to disable it in that case.

If you don't have such a case, but you also don't carry the phone around in a pocket with the touch screen very near your body (e.g. only a layer or two of clothing between skin and screen), then you are unlikely to see any measurable difference in battery life by disabling the gesture. The difference in power consumption is only a few milliwatts at most.

If, however, you carry the phone in a shirt pocket or rear pants pocket, for example, and it's basically sliding around all the time, then having the gesture enabled can actually use a quite noticeable amount of extra power.

My latest measurement puts the extra consumption on the Z10 up somewhere well above 100mW, and as high as 200mW when I was walking rapidly with the phone in my rear pants pocket while wearing jeans. I haven't tried it with a Q10 yet (don't have one) nor with my Dev Alpha C although I'll try to do that soon.
    agp101 and kevinnugent like this.
    06-06-13 04:11 PM
    I love swipe to unlock. Sykes I fund myself swiping to unlocking my brothers phone.

Toronto Maple Leafs BBM Channel C0001D318
    06-06-13 04:59 PM
    I have gestures turned off when locked to save battery
    +1

SQN100-3 via CB10
    06-06-13 05:29 PM
    Wish it was possible to press space bar key to wake up the device.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 09:02 PM
    Swipe. Buy an extra battery if you're gonna worry about drain and live your life

Posted with my Q10
    06-06-13 09:10 PM
    I use the swipe. I didnt get this phone to press some old school button on the top. its 2013 and I swipe. It doesnt effect my battery life at all. I get amazing batt life.
    06-06-13 09:49 PM
    Power button for me.
    06-06-13 09:52 PM
    I use the swipe. I didnt get this phone to press some old school button on the top. its 2013 and I swipe. It doesnt effect my battery life at all. I get amazing batt life.
    And no pocket dialing? Do you use a case?
    06-07-13 02:52 AM
    Number key works just fine...
    06-07-13 05:44 AM
    Edited so I don't look stupid lol

Posted via CB10
    peter9477 likes this.
    06-07-13 06:49 AM
    And no pocket dialing? Do you use a case?
    No has never pocket dialed yet. Because to wake up the phone the swipe is at least an inch and a half long right. So it never moves more then a few centimeters in my pocket. I did eventually get a pouch to protect it when I am on a long walk or out all day but at work its naked in my pocket and I have no pocket dials

Always on my Q10!
    06-07-13 07:36 AM

I'd imagine the Swipe feature would also use a fair bit of battery power always being on looking for the swiping action.

I find this extends my battery by about double. Because it also picks up false touches I'm your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-13 07:39 AM
    I find this extends my battery by about double. Because it also picks up false touches I'm your pocket.

Posted via CB10
    Outside of false touches in pocket, can we say definitively that swipe to unlock uses more battery? I'd like to know, since I really like the swipe to unlock feature, & going back to the Android/iPhone mode of pushing a button (Z30 here) just feels odd...
    01-26-15 09:44 PM
    Outside of false touches in pocket, can we say definitively that swipe to unlock uses more battery?
    Only if the screen switches on when you don't want to (while in your pocket is a good example, but you can add "while leaked by your dog" and other insanity)...
    Seriously though : no.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-27-15 02:53 PM
    I flipping LOVE swiping to wake up my phone. It's one of the best things about bb10, imo. I know that's a pretty strong statement for such a small feature, but when I think back to my last phone (which was an android) and how many extra seconds I spent unlocking my phone because I had to press the button AND swipe... I'm a frequent texter so the extra step does make a huge difference. I would never go back to double locking my phone, even though a password would make it feel safer. Most people don't know how to wake up a BlackBerry anyway so that takes care of most snoopers :P

As far as b*tt dialing? Never been a problem. You have to swipe from the bottom bezel of the screen and not many other materials can be picked up by the screen sensor, other than skin or rubber. So it is unlikely to wake your phone up by accident. And if any other button is pressed, you'd still have to swipe from the bottom to unlock.

Tl;dr -- basically no matter what you do you can't b*tt dial on this thing. Believe me, I have tried :P

EDIT: really, CB? You starred the word b*tt? That's a bit excessive lol

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    01-28-15 06:52 AM
    i usually swipe to unlock and press the top button to lock.

i was under the impression when the screen was off then the device is "locked" though in my pocket this may or may not affect standby times. never tested it.

if i'm using an oem Q10 leather pocket pouch then of course it goes without being said.

OK, I have a password installed on my Q10 anyway (it's a requirement of my Exchange IT guys for work email and calendar etc) so I don't think I'll get too many pocket dials, but does anyone use the Swipe to Unlock feature or do you press the button to start the unlock process?

I've found it a pain to press the button each time though....

01-29-15 02:30 AM