theres an awesome app called speed dial....that will give you what you want.
    I like this app -- which enables you to add speed dial icons for individual contacts to your home screen -- but keep in mind that home screen real estate is limited to 12 icons...not the same as a hard key shortcut.
    10-31-13 12:46 PM
    You still have to swipe to get to the appropriate screen. Nothing is as fast, convenient, effective as a keyboard shortcut.
    Go back to a feature phone then.

Posted via CB10
    ZeroBarrier likes this.
    10-31-13 01:05 PM
    Go back to a feature phone then.

Posted via CB10
    That's your response? Instead of saying the lack of hard key convenience keys is a pretty clear faux pas by Blackberry -- the company that made convenience key productivity tools one of its iconic features -- you tell people to go get another device?

Well, obviously that's what's happened. Most people have bought other devices. But it's not a good thing, or something to defend or be proud of. Or you trying to look like a tough guy, in effect saying: "Hey, I don't mind that it takes longer to do things than it should, I can take it. Bring it on. Longer is the new better."
    10-31-13 01:39 PM
    No, he just tired of your crap. It's nauseating, really it is; a lot of us here wish you would just shut up already.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 02:13 PM
    you tell people to go get another device?

Well, obviously that's what's happened.
    Exactly.....
    10-31-13 02:22 PM
    No, he just tired of your crap. It's nauseating, really it is; a lot of us here wish you would just shut up already.

Posted via CB10
    That's just not an appropriate way to communicate or interact in a public forum.

Why don't you ask chaz why he's defending an inferior feature set (loss of keyboard shortcuts) and trying to explain it away as better? It would be one thing if he had said: "I hear ya, that's a loss of a feature and I can see how they have left out a bunch of conveniences that they probably should have included, but I still like the device for x, y, and z reasons..." We have pages and pages of threads here on Crackberry about Q10 functional issues -- don't shoot the messengers. More tellingly, the market has spoken loud and clear.

I guess you can bury your head in the sand and ignore the functional problems/omissions, but there's no justification for lashing out with personal attacks.
    10-31-13 02:47 PM
    BTW SoxFan, congratulations!
    SoxFan likes this.
    10-31-13 02:54 PM
    That's just not an appropriate way to communicate or interact in a public forum.

Why don't you ask chaz why he's defending an inferior feature set (loss of keyboard shortcuts) and trying to explain it away as better? It would be one thing if he had said: "I hear ya, that's a loss of a feature and I can see how they have left out a bunch of conveniences that they probably should have included, but I still like the device for x, y, and z reasons..." We have pages and pages of threads here on Crackberry about Q10 functional issues -- don't shoot the messengers. More tellingly, the market has spoken loud and clear.

I guess you can bury your head in the sand and ignore the functional problems/omissions, but there's no justification for lashing out with personal attacks.
    1. I'm not defending "an inferior feature set... and trying to explain it away as better". Like ZeroBarrier said, everything has been explained to you countless times very well and everybody has acknowledged what you said, but we're getting sick of it. And by the way, keyboard shortcuts aren't missing. They are still here.

2. There is nothing wrong with saying that your comments are very aggravating and that you have repeated them over and over, such that it's making some people irritated.

3. I have stated why I still like the device "for x, y, and z reasons" (as have you) and also acknowledged its shortcomings countless times (again, as have you), so don't say I haven't. I just go about it in a nicer way and actually attempt to find solutions instead of endlessly ranting.

4. About half of the "pages and pages of threads here on CrackBerry about Q10 functional issues" were written by you and do not reflect the general consensus. The other half were written by a few others like you who feel personally insulted that BlackBerry didn't consult them when designing their own products, and a much smaller subset are people who actually have genuine problems and are looking to actually solve them (that doesn't include you, because you have simply chosen to ignore or sidestep solutions presented to you on countless occasions).

5. Just because you say "the market has spoken loud and clear" doesn't mean it has. That's your opinion, and you are free to express that opinion, but please do not state it as fact, nor in such a manner as to insult others.

Posted via CB10
    woofhaven and ZeroBarrier like this.
    10-31-13 03:08 PM
    Chaz, you're amazing, always keeping a level head.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 03:15 PM
    Chaz is my hero!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 04:02 PM
    Ever notice that the people whose productivity has reportedly suffered the most from the terrible, terrible omissions from BB10 are the same ones with the most free time to spend clogging up the CB forums with endless rants?

You were all thinking it. Someone had to say it.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 04:06 PM
    Ever notice that the people whose productivity has reportedly suffered the most from the terrible, terrible omissions from BB10 are the same ones with the most free time to spend clogging up the CB forums with endless rants?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I have noticed that.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 04:10 PM
    Chaz, you're amazing, always keeping a level head.
    Chaz is my hero!
    Thank you. I consider it above me to get into useless heated arguments, although I can't say I haven't. I try my best to be rational, but sometimes it's just frustrating.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 04:14 PM
    Here is a little dose of reality. I can see how this feature would be good. I used it on BBOS. I miss it, but I looked at the Speed Dial app, and while it is a step closer...it isn't worth the space for me.

But if this feature is that important AND that easy to implement, then there is an app already out there so just go get it. If it's not out there, then there is not enough of a demand or it's harder to implement than you think. #truth #done #waitforit
    10-31-13 04:25 PM
    1. I'm not defending "an inferior feature set... and trying to explain it away as better".
    Posted via CB10
    Please try to stick to the facts and be accurate, or indicate when you are expressing an opinion. There's too much error and exaggeration in that post to even justify a credible response. You can pretend that the lack of shortcuts isn't a shortcoming nor is somehow "better," but it doesn't make it true.

I guess you can say you are aggravated with my comments, although it borders on a personal attack and not commentary on the device or the company...in essence, you are basically saying you are aggravated by the device, because my comments primarily focus on the features, benefits, and/or shortcomings of the device. I call it as I see, as do many others. I'm just not sugar-coating things and I don't have an agenda regarding the company or the device, as many others seem to have.
    10-31-13 04:58 PM
    Why are you arguing with Chad? I just gave you the facts and you ignored them. See my post above.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:13 PM
    Please try to stick to the facts and be accurate, or indicate when you are expressing an opinion. There's too much error and exaggeration in that post to even justify a credible response. You can pretend that the lack of shortcuts isn't a shortcoming nor is somehow "better," but it doesn't make it true.

I guess you can say you are aggravated with my comments, although it borders on a personal attack and not commentary on the device or the company...in essence, you are basically saying you are aggravated by the device, because my comments primarily focus on the features, benefits, and/or shortcomings of the device. I call it as I see, as do many others. I'm just not sugar-coating things and I don't have an agenda regarding the company or the device, as many others seem to have.
    1. All of what I said in that comment was 100% factual, except when I stated my opinion (and labelled it as such). Read it again.

2. There was no error or exaggeration in my response. Read it again.

3. When did I say that "the lack of shortcuts isn't a shortcoming"? I said exactly the opposite. Read it again.

4. Your comments are enough to aggravate anybody, seeing as how it's not possible to avoid them. To say that your comments are aggravating and irritating does not even come close to a "personal attack". On the contrary. It is a fact and something that you needed to be made aware of.

5. I am not "aggravated by the device". Your comments have nothing to do with my opinion of the device. Your misinformed and heavily biased opinions stated as fact are simply irritating and something I want to correct so as not to misinform others.

6. You are not "calling it as [you] see it". Your heavily biased opinions passed off as fact demonstrate this. If you were calling it as you saw it, the company BlackBerry would have no influence on your opinion of the phone, as would not any past experiences you had with BlackBerrys.

7. You are not "sugar-coating things", but neither are you cleaning off all the grime. Your opinion is heavily biased. I am not "sugar-coating" either. I am doing my best to remain unbiased and find solutions to problems. Ranting is never a solution.

8. Far from it. From reading your post history, you seem to have taken it as a personal insult that BlackBerry didn't create a device that conforms to your standards, and now seem to be trying your best to attack them at whatever chance you get. That certainly seems like "an agenda regarding the company or the device". As for myself, no, I do not "have an agenda regarding...". I am personally interested in the fate of the company because of the connections I have to it, but I have not taken it upon myself to change the fate of the company, unlike you.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 05:24 PM
    Here is a little dose of reality. I can see how this feature would be good. I used it on BBOS. I miss it, but I looked at the Speed Dial app, and while it is a step closer...it isn't worth the space for me.

But if this feature is that important AND that easy to implement, then there is an app already out there so just go get it. If it's not out there, then there is not enough of a demand or it's harder to implement than you think. #truth #done #waitforit
    I agree that the use of home screen real estate for a single contact number speed dial icon is not particularly attractive...that's why I use it for only 1 of my 12 hone screen icons (actually, the Speed Dial app has a nifty feature that let's you re-size your icons into smaller icons, which is something I think Blackberry should offer for the Q10).

I also agree that if it was easy to implement as an App, then someone probably would have done it, although I can't comment personally on how easy it would be to develop by a third party...I don't think it would a big deal for Blackberry to have designed hard key shortcuts into the original specs for the OS, if they had opted to focus on retaining the conveniences in the Q10 that had come to define the company and its products.

I don't have as much of an issue about this one convenience, per se (although I'd prefer it existed), as with the whole feature set of conveniences that have been left out and had been a hallmark of the company's products...presumably this is part of a continuum that culminated in a user experience with the Q10 that deviates so far from its predecessors that people are calling BB10 the "UnBlackberry." Obviously, that has proven to be a big strategic blunder, although hopefully some of these features will creep back into future builds (not that I hold out much hope for anything significant or quick, given the state of the company).
    10-31-13 05:25 PM
    So basically the argument is that if you like the phone (and I do) you can't have ANY complaints about it? This is called fanboyism. I actually do really like the Q10 and will never switch to a touchscreen only phone as long as this option is here, but that doesn't mean I need to blindly accept every feature or lack of feature and consider it a perfect phone. That's why companies don't fix things, when enough of the users are fanboys that praise everything they do. You realize you learn way more from criticisms than from praises right??

And another common argument I'm reading is because they improved a lot of things from legacy devices, it's ok to neglect to include a lot of the good things about them... Really? You really feel that way? Then do us a favor, never update your phone since apparently it's perfect now that it has a decent (but not great) camera and no more spinning circle. Because apparently even if they add back the features we're talking about, you don't need that just because the bad things were fixed...

Seriously people, stop being fanboys. It is possible to love your device and still bring up points that need to be improved. Take off the blinders and push BB to make the Q10 not just "better for me than the other phones" but "the best damn phone it can possibly be." Strive for greatness, not for "good enough."

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-31-13 05:52 PM
    1. All of what I said in that comment was 100% factual, except when I stated my opinion (and labelled it as such). Read it again.
    Posted via CB10
    There's just too much there that's so out in left field and inaccurate to spend the time address.

As for me, I don't wish the company or its employees any ill will, and wish it was healthier, especially so that it those that "get it" would be around to make the kind of product that so many of us want and wished they made in the first place...and otherwise, to get the lead out to fix all the problems and add back so many of the lost conveniences.

As an active participant in these forums, I comment where I have personal experience or perspectives, and I've tried to be a positive force to identify operating benefits and/or problems, and otherwise try to use a bulletin board forum to leverage collective opinions about larger issues, like trying to determine/understand what led to such an epic strategic blunder (or series of strategic blunders, as is probably more likely the case).

I just won't turn a negative into a positive for the sake of shoveling praise. For the niche audience that really likes this device compared to what it could have been, I am happy for them. If that includes you, then I am happy for you. Enjoy. I just think we should stick to commenting on the device and the company...it's natural that people will have divergent opinions as to the significance of a feature or a flaw as it relates to their overall use and needs for the device.
    10-31-13 05:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, because if your're busy for most of the day that means you never have any free time... Nice attempt at being witty though. B+ for effort.

10-31-13 05:53 PM
    I have speed dial - not only you have to swipe to get the right screen with shortcuts, when you press it, there in one more dialog "do you really want to call this contact". Speed dials in the "phone" app does not ask for confirmation, speed dial does...

It may look as stupid thing to somebody, who make 10 phone calls a day. I do daily about 130 calls and most of them to six or eight colleagues. We have unlimited phone calls and use mobiles instead regular office phones. If the delay caused by above reasons is 3 seconds, it's five minutes every day, what i'm loosing by just this "feature". If I will count the others - scrolling, deletion of mails, missing one button home screen return etc - it's really less effective in compare with past.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 06:01 PM
    Strive for greatness, not for "good enough."

That's very well said. As I have indicated previously, I have this device over touch screen devices because a hard keyboard to me is paramount, and I have the device over the 9900 primarily because the browsing is much better.

Again, I don't think the relevant comparison for these forums is the 9900 to the Q10, but the next generation device Blackberry could have launched after two years and a gazillion dollars of R&D vs the product(s) they chose to launch.

That could have been great, for me, and I think it would have had much stronger market appeal.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 06:02 PM
    So basically the argument is that if you like the phone (and I do) you can't have ANY complaints about it? This is called fanboyism. I actually do really like the Q10 and will never switch to a touchscreen only phone as long as this option is here, but that doesn't mean I need to blindly accept every feature or lack of feature and consider it a perfect phone. That's why companies don't fix things, when enough of the users are fanboys that praise everything they do. You realize you learn way more from criticisms than from praises right??

And another common argument I'm reading is because they improved a lot of things from legacy devices, it's ok to neglect to include a lot of the good things about them... Really? You really feel that way? Then do us a favor, never update your phone since apparently it's perfect now that it has a decent (but not great) camera and no more spinning circle. Because apparently even if they add back the features we're talking about, you don't need that just because the bad things were fixed...

Seriously people, stop being fanboys. It is possible to love your device and still bring up points that need to be improved. Take off the blinders and push BB to make the Q10 not just "better for me than the other phones" but "the best damn phone it can possibly be." Strive for greatness, not for "good enough."

No, the argument is that ranting doesn't help. Sure, state your complaints, but at some point, enough is enough. I never said to "blindly accept every feature or lack of feature and consider it a perfect phone", I said to find solutions. Making your complaint known is one of them, but complaining to the point of exhaustion is not.

Nobody said anything is being neglected. It's just that the more important features come first, obviously. Further enhancements to the phone are continually underway, and I can guarantee that BlackBerry is aware of the complaints people like you have. You don't paint the lines on the road until the sewer system is installed and the road is built.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chaz95; 10-31-13 at 11:31 PM.
    10-31-13 06:08 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 06:09 PM
402 ... 56789 ...