To be fair Sox (damn I've said this phrase a lot lately...) the company was on a downward spiral long before BB10 came out...
    Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I never said the demise of Blackberry was solely attributable to the product failures of BB10? In fact, I said in the very post on which you commented:

"This fall from market dominance will be studied for generations to come. I'm sure the issues go back to prior mistakes and the problems compounded."
    11-03-13 07:25 AM
    Nice. I'm a troll or stupid. The Z10 was a direct adaptation from QNX. The Q10 had to have just a few adjustments.

Look at the history of BlackBerry layoffs. You might not understand what layoffs do but I have worked in an industry where layoffs killed productivity altogether.

But more to the point, again, they have said it's COMING! This thread is nothing more than the same people ranting over and over, like they do on every Q10 thread.

It's just a tad obvious.

I don't understand what you're saying. When you start a software development project you have a goal in mind. BlackBerry knew they were going to make a keyboard phone when they started bb10 3 years ago. If not, another fault on them.

It's not like q10 development started the day it was released....it started long before that. It had to.

But I'm not sure if you're purposely trolling or just naive on hardware and software development projects.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:02 AM
    This feature was the best one about a keyboard. No excuse whatsoever for its omission. And some of you sit there and make excuses.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-03-13 08:07 AM
    OR....some of us that have been around long enough know if something was that easy to implement AND BlackBerry missed it, a developer will create an app for it...if there is enough demand.

So my question is why is there not an app for this yet? The room awaits an answer.

This feature was the best one about a keyboard. No excuse whatsoever for its omission. And some of you sit there and make excuses.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, there are a lot of people who seem to feel the need to defend everything about the company and the device, even if it's blatantly incorrect. Those are fanboys. Then, there are those of us who stick to the facts, and acknowledge the good and the bad as they see it, sometimes seeking a deeper explanation for how or why something is the way it is. Hopefully, in the end, it does some good. Otherwise, I find there's a productive exchange of advice and experiences here on Crackberry which can be helpful and informative.
    11-03-13 08:24 AM
    Do you know what Crackberry even means or what the opposite of a fanboy is? Enjoy.

Yes, there are a lot of people who seem to feel the need to defend everything about the company and the device, even if it's blatantly incorrect. Those are fanboys. Then, there are those of us who stick to the facts, and acknowledge the good and the bad as they see it, sometimes seeking a deeper explanation for how or why something is the way it is. Hopefully, in the end, it does some good. Otherwise, I find there's a productive exchange of advice and experiences here on Crackberry which can be helpful and informative.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:29 AM
    I liked option 2 personally. Tapping "s" to pull up search was minimal.

Posted via CB10
    Good point. And yet anyone who suggests that tapping the phone icon to pull of the phone app is equally minimal gets shouted down for being a fanboy and is "making excuses."

Can't you guys just admit that BlackBerry has to pick one or the other of these two options? Either one is going to creat a minor inconvenience for some users and make the device more convenient for other users.

And they've said they are changing this, apparently in the MR.

Discussion concluded. Please move along.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 08:59 AM
    Google BlackBerry lay offs and follow the story.

The article I posted was second quarter last year, when they dropped to 50% of their former staff. Well before people complained about their Q10's.

Independent devopers means 3rd party developer. You know, the ones that cash in on the things BlackBerry misses.

Posted via CB10
    Again, when did development on BB10 start? I've been asking rhetorical questions, of course I know which 2nd quarter that article was talking about. I'm not really asking you to tell what most of us already know or could clearly read from the article, lol. The point of my question was so you can compare that date to when BB10 first started...
    11-03-13 09:30 AM
    The Q is the only BB10 device with a Keyboard. Nice try back at you.

Posted via CB10
    This time you can't be serious right?

"The platform is coming up on being in development for almost 3 years. 3 years and no home screen shortcuts or speed dial, really?"

So "platform" is talking about the Q10 specifically somehow? I guess I don't see it? You realize in the beginning before the Q even came out, people were talking about why they don't make the home screen speed dial work on the Z10 since you can pull up the keyboard from the homescreen using a two-finger swipe up... This commenter is saying the PLATFORM, aka BB10, has been in development for 3 years. So again, where do you see anyone stating that the Q10 has been "OUT" for 3 years?? If you honestly see these two statements as the same, then we might as well drop it because obviously you'll never admit that you made a mistake, so we'll just "agree to disagree" or whatever "diplomatic" way there is to end this without it becoming too embarrassing...
    11-03-13 09:38 AM
    And how do you suppose that? If I had to long press to use universal search starting with a special character, then long press speed dial would be activated instead of universal search. So again, if implemented I would rather it be completely optional; then everyone would be able to have exactly what they want.

Posted via CB10
    Again, the search ignores these differences. You're talking about things like "�" right? I don't have any friends or things that begin with those to give you an example of, but I do have a friend named "Bego�a." If I type "Begona" it'll find her just the same as if I searched for "Bego�a." So again, no, you don't need to begin with that special character... Unless there's another one that doesn't have a normal letter in place of it?? If so, please let me know, because English is my primary language, so I might not know about every situation regarding the special characters...

Edited: Wow, CB app messes up those characters...
    Last edited by slagman5; 11-03-13 at 06:56 PM.
    11-03-13 09:43 AM
    I don't understand what you're saying. When you start a software development project you have a goal in mind. BlackBerry knew they were going to make a keyboard phone when they started bb10 3 years ago. If not, another fault on them.

It's not like q10 development started the day it was released....it started long before that. It had to.

But I'm not sure if you're purposely trolling or just naive on hardware and software development projects.

Posted via CB10
    What? Did you just say that the Q10 has been out for 3 years??

LOL, just kidding around man... :-P
    11-03-13 09:44 AM
    I never said the demise of Blackberry was solely attributable to the product failures of BB10? In fact, I said in the very post on which you commented:

"This fall from market dominance will be studied for generations to come. I'm sure the issues go back to prior mistakes and the problems compounded."
    Ack, sorry, it sounded like you were pinning the Q and Z10 for why they are failing...
    11-03-13 09:45 AM
    Nice. I'm a troll or stupid. The Z10 was a direct adaptation from QNX. The Q10 had to have just a few adjustments.

Look at the history of BlackBerry layoffs. You might not understand what layoffs do but I have worked in an industry where layoffs killed productivity altogether.

But more to the point, again, they have said it's COMING! This thread is nothing more than the same people ranting over and over, like they do on every Q10 thread.

It's just a tad obvious.

Posted via CB10
    That's hilarious, yes, my posts are so negative on BB, apparently sharing a story about how my Q10 saved a movie night ( http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-q10-856015/ ), questioning why people all of a sudden started talking badly about the devices just because sales reports were not good ( http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...report-824323/ ), me trying to HELP BB improve their product by directing good ideas toward their beta zone ( http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-read-822547/ ), and my copy and paste of my Amazon FIVE-STAR review of the Q10 ( http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ng-lol-821789/ ) really shows how all I do is rant about how bad this phone is in every thread... Good show. You got me...
    11-03-13 10:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    I have no idea why... I really like the phone, but I will never make excuses for anyone if something was done poorly or was left out. It boggles my mind even further since even BB themselves have admitted this was a mistake by promising to fix it (you can't fix what wasn't a mistake now can you?) as I've updated in my original post... Yet, even when BB themselves have admitted it's a mistake, you still have people here giving them made up excuses for why it cannot be done and why it should be left out... smh

Oh, but if you don't agree with them, that means you're ignorant, because you haven't "been around long enough." I love that one... Since owning an old pager BB makes you more knowledgeable about BB10 than if you only got into BB from the Curve and Bold 9000 days... :-D
    11-03-13 10:24 AM
    Good point. And yet anyone who suggests that tapping the phone icon to pull of the phone app is equally minimal gets shouted down for being a fanboy and is "making excuses."

Can't you guys just admit that BlackBerry has to pick one or the other of these two options? Either one is going to creat a minor inconvenience for some users and make the device more convenient for other users.

Posted via CB10
    Funny, it may be just a coincidence, but just right now, I was making a phone call to my mom since I had a missed call from her, and I touched the phone icon... And... Nothing... So I touched it again... Nothing... But third time's a charm... Nothing wrong with the touchscreen, I for some reason have really bad luck with the touchscreen around the corners for some reason, but it seems other people can do it fine. But the point is, if I didn't look at the phone, I wouldn't have known that it went or that it didn't. I had to look at it and take my attention away from any other activity at the time. Think about this if you're driving. Yes, it's not a great idea to talk on your phone and drive, but imagine if you need to confirm an appointment while you're on the road, or you have to check in on a friend about where something will be. I will never text while driving, but what I used to do with my 9900 is take my phone out and hold one button to speed dial and my eyes NEVER leave the road. So you be the judge. Is this safer than for me to have to look at my phone to make sure the phone button was touched correctly before I can use the speed dial? And save me the lecture on talking and driving. Rhetoric and "what should happen" is one thing and what happens in real life is another. I was able to talk on the phone while driving safely because I prioritized my attention. I paid attention to the road while talking on the phone and my friends know this because sometimes I'll stop talking to them completely if I'm making any kind of maneuvers around people or whatever obstacles there are. And the ability to do it all without looking definitely makes this a much better situation than forcing me to have to look at it.

And I can give plenty of other examples of certain situations where it was extremely convenient to not have to look at my phone to make a call, such as while working on cars, which I do often since apparently I'm the only person out of my circle of friends who knows anything about that, lol. But the driving one is one that I encounter almost daily, and I'm sure most of you encounter too.

And I don't think you're really understanding that person's statement. You really just inadvertently agreed with someone who agrees with the idea that they should have launched with the one-button speed dialing. And pressing s for search is still using the keyboard, not the touchscreen. That was simply an argument for keyboard shortcuts over universal search. Nothing in any way suggesting that the current or 10.2's method of speed dialing is acceptable... But I know, you see what you want to see, so that's alright...
    11-03-13 10:39 AM
    And I don't think you're really understanding that person's statement. You really just inadvertently agreed with someone who agrees with the idea that they should have launched with the one-button speed dialing. And pressing s for search is still using the keyboard, not the touchscreen. That was simply an argument for keyboard shortcuts over universal search. Nothing in any way suggesting that the current or 10.2's method of speed dialing is acceptable... But I know, you see what you want to see, so that's alright...
    Yes, I was acknowledging that someone I disagree with nevertheless made a good point. I won't speculate as to why you couldn't wrap your mind around that concept. Talk about seeing what you want to see...you're getting to be as bad as Soxfan.

You've already won this argument, and the feature you want is being added, so your current mission seems limited to throwing insults at anyone on this forum who disagreed with your point of view. And by "disagreed," I don't just mean people who think the phone is better without homescreen speeddial, but also those like me who could take it either way. Yes, we're all fanboys who never used OS7 and don't get it, and we're stupid, too. In fact, we don't even understand our own forum posts, apparently. And we're all just having ourselves a big circle jerk, and we're just making excuses for BlackBerry instead of helping you in your heroic efforts to improve the phone, etc etc. We heard you tell us all this the first 30 times, so you don't need to say it again.

Posted via CB10
    Anonymous2039 likes this.
    11-03-13 12:08 PM
    So my question is why is there not an app for this yet? The room awaits an answer.
    I'm guessing that blackberry hasn't provided an API that would allow a developer to intercept keystrokes from the home screen.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 12:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, you're right that a lot of these preferences are in conflict with each other. There are only so many meanings you can overload onto a single key press on the homescreen.

That's why I would advocate making the behaviour configurable - so that each user can optimize the phone to his or her common use case.

I don't think this is one of those cases where you can say there should be only one way of doing it and no configuration.

In my old 9810 BBOS device, I had short presses configured to application shortcuts, and "s" set to universal search. This worked for me. Basically any time I wanted to do a search, I prefixed "s" to what I was searching for. "kevin" became "skevin".

Personally, I could deal with that as a compromise. For me, I'd prefer to keep my fingers on the keyboard, rather than poking around for icons which may or not respond on the first touch.

Of course, I can totally see how someone else would prefer universal search without the application keys. So, make it configurable.

It was configurable in BBOS, and worked well.

Since BB10 is a ground up rewrite, they could even make more options. For instance, they could make an option where if you press alt+letter on the home screen it invokes a shortcut (app launch, speed dial, etc.), but if you press a letter on its own, you start the universal search. That might work for some people.

Posted via CB10
    woofhaven likes this.
    11-03-13 12:32 PM

It's just a tad obvious.

Posted via CB10
    Still not addressing the 3 years to develop and they had to have known a keyboard phone was coming.

If the Z10 was an exact adaptation from QNX why did take 2 years? Something doesn't make sense there. Direct adaptation does not mean two years of development.

Just admit they messed up, lots of companies do it. Thats all I want to hear: a BlackBerry fanboy say they made poor product management decisions with the q10.

Lastly, they claimed lots of stuff was coming. Bb10 to PlayBook, headless apps for 10.2, etc. "Coming soon" doesn't mean anything anymore from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    One is hardware, the other it looking at the screen and getting the tap correct.

Hardware vs capactivie touch. Hardware wins every time because you don't have to look at the screen to do it. And because of that, it's faster AND safer when driving.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 03:52 PM
    Agree with every word you said !!!! Frustrated as you are.
    No excuses for these engineers there and their bosses at BB.
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-03-13 03:57 PM
    One is hardware, the other it looking at the screen and getting the tap correct.

Hardware vs capactivie touch. Hardware wins every time because you don't have to look at the screen to do it. And because of that, it's faster AND safer when driving.

Posted via CB10
    Womp womp, I've tried to tell him this...

11-03-13 05:50 PM
    Agree with every word you said !!!! Frustrated as you are.
    No excuses for these engineers there and their bosses at BB.
    Oh no, here comes the people to say you are just trolling and ranting about a non-issue...

11-03-13 05:52 PM
    Wow, talk about a complex. I am starting to think that Slag and Fox are the same person.

It's been announced that the feature is being added. It's coming, but somehow that's not good enough?

The phone is far from perfect, but this could be the last keyboard phone BlackBerry ever makes. Hopefully they survive and get better. We'll see. This will be an interesting week.

Oh no, here comes the people to say you are just trolling and ranting about a non-issue...

Posted via CB10
    woofhaven likes this.
    11-03-13 06:16 PM
    Wow, talk about a complex. I am starting to think that Slag and Fox are the same person.

It's been announced that the feature is being added. It's coming, but somehow that's not good enough?

The phone is far from perfect, but this could be the last keyboard phone BlackBerry ever makes. Hopefully they survive and get better. We'll see. This will be an interesting week.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sorry, didn't realize I'm not allowed to respond to new comments without your permission. But funny you have not noticed all of my responses to new commenters about how I've updated my post with the information CJH_ provided about what people at BB has told him... But hey guys, unless you agree with this guy, stop commenting, just stop it ok? There, glad I could be of help. :-)

And talking about a complex, you mention this person so much I'm starting to think you guys were a couple that separated abruptly or something. Why can't you get him off your mind?

11-03-13 06:50 PM
402 ... 1112131415 ...