The is more than one version of 10.2. Stay turned. I believe they specifically said one touch speed dialing from the home screen is coming in 10.2. But that is just my memory.
    The issue, the gaff, the thing that disappoints so many people at the core of this epic product mishap, is not just about this one missing feature. Maybe you can call this missing feature, and perhaps this thread, the "poster child" for what went wrong at BBY and how dramatically BBY missed the boat with the Q10.

But we all know, the strategic miscues in the design of the Q10 go far beyond any one missing feature...not that hard key speed dial isn't a great example of the "little moments of delight" that BBY took so long to define and became so quick to discard...producing a product more aptly characterized by "frequent moments of frustration" in a desperate Hail Mary gone wrong to try and save the company. (For those of you in Canada, "Hail Mary" in this context is not a religious term, although it might as well be a prayer, but stands for a last second attempt in football to throw a bomb against all odds in the hope it's caught as time expires on the clock...the most famous of which is Doug Flutie's Hail Mary against Miami...so, sometimes they work...but not too often, and not this time, as well all now know only too well.)

Of course, on top of all the "little moments of delight" that have been abandoned, comes the launch of an OS that bears little operational resemblance to the OS that had an installed user base of 76 MILLION DEVICES... And then, to put a cherry on top, they launch a device that has so few competitive advantages and is generally just like the other guys on so many levels (actually performs more poorly on so many levels), that all I can say is "nuts."

Given all that as a backdrop, it's easy to see how so many people are tired of people -- call them fanboys of just people -- pretending this strategic blunder didn't occur, or that it's not meaningful -- it's epic and the consequences rank among the biggest business bombs in the last 100+ years (absent those that are due to fraud, rogue traders, or external events, such as the internet bubble or the mortgage crisis) -- going from market leader to market laggard in 5 years or so...culminating in $70+ billion dollars in lost value...maybe chump change for Bill Gates, but serious coin for most...

So, people can say it's a little thing...that it's just missing some speed dial buttons...but we all know it's a lot more.
    Pete The Penguin and xanadome like this.
    11-01-13 09:10 PM
    You make that triangle button look awfully tempting. Let me give you an easy example of why this thread exist. If you walk into, say a McDonald's, during lunch, and 70% of their staff is gone....chances are it will take longer than longer than usual. Most people here are happy BB is still in business. I don't think anyone here is against them adding features. It's just that common sense tells most of us we are going to have to be patient.
    I'm missing the logic here: McDonalds is successful. They are the market leader. They have endured, evolved, morphed, stayed on top for decades. How does Blackberry compare to McDonalds?

Anyway, it's not impt or too relevant...the bigger question is how did a company with so much expertise, great products and such a strong and loyal customer base, with so many billions of dollars in cash and cash flow, screw up so significantly?
    11-01-13 09:22 PM
    Do yourself the favor and don't address me. For all intents and purposes, you're the forum clown in my eyes. So anything you ask will be immedietly ignored and dismissed as troll bait.

Now please, go back underneath the bridge from whence you came; shoo!

Posted via CB10
    Where did you come from with those comments and why do you think those kind of comments are appropriate? I don't have any problem with people commenting on the pros and cons...but this comment is way out of bounds.

Those of us that keep it real and stick to the merits and facts can handle a difference of opinion as to which benefits and flaws are more relevant to some versus others. Personal attacks like yours above have no place in a public community like this and don't do anything to contribute.

Just because so many people have issues with this product (just read the pages and pages of issues), doesn't mean they should be attacked for identifying them and/or expressing frustration about them. Most people know that.
    11-01-13 10:02 PM
    I finally realized that SoxFan doesn't have anything positive or helpful to say, nor does he listen to what anyone else has to say. He has been told he has a defective handset and even himself claimed he would swap it out under warranty. Yet he continues to blame the company, the OS, and the device as a whole. He came into my thread where I was discussing my recent update to 10.2 and made the baseless assumption that no software update could fix the "structural sluggishness of the device" that is "inherent in the OS". For someone who hasn't even tried out the update to make such a baseless assumption, it's obvious that his goal is to spread negativity. I added him to my ignore list and I'm done with him. I won't be able to view any more of his posts.
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    11-01-13 11:02 PM
    I finally realized that SoxFan doesn't have anything positive or helpful to say, nor does he listen to what anyone else has to say. He has been told he has a defective handset and even himself claimed he would swap it out under warranty. Yet he continues to blame the company, the OS, and the device as a whole. He came into my thread where I was discussing my recent update to 10.2 and made the baseless assumption that no software update could fix the "structural sluggishness of the device" that is "inherent in the OS". For someone who hasn't even tried out the update to make such a baseless assumption, it's obvious that his goal is to spread negativity. I added him to my ignore list and I'm done with him. I won't be able to view any more of his posts.
    Seriously people, WTF does any of this have to do with anything? If you don't like the way he responds, ignore his posts. By insulting him, you're doing exactly what you're claiming you cannot stand...

Anyway, the immediate issue here is, at least one person have claimed that someone at BB has stated AFTER 10.2 that a FURTHER improvement to the speed dial is coming. Is this true? Or were you guys referring to that promise they made a while ago before 10.2? If it's the latter, then I'm still concerned that the "improvement" in 10.2 is the "fix" they were promising. But if they've made it clear, that they will implement HOME SCREEN one-button speed dialing in a near future update, please make that clear. Then I can rest a little easier knowing that at least...
    11-01-13 11:23 PM
    Seriously people, WTF does any of this have to do with anything? If you don't like the way he responds, ignore his posts. By insulting him, you're doing exactly what you're claiming you cannot stand...
    Yes people, please let's all follow Slagman's lead here...please limit your postings to calling other users "fanboys" and making circle jerk references. any other use of the forum is pointless.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 11:37 PM

Anyway, the immediate issue here is, at least one person have claimed that someone at BB has stated AFTER 10.2 that a FURTHER improvement to the speed dial is coming. Is this true? Or were you guys referring to that promise they made a while ago before 10.2? If it's the latter, then I'm still concerned that the "improvement" in 10.2 is the "fix" they were promising. But if they've made it clear, that they will implement HOME SCREEN one-button speed dialing in a near future update, please make that clear. Then I can rest a little easier knowing that at least...
    I spoke to a couple of Devs, they confirmed that BlackBerry are going to implement the one-button homescreen speed dial in 10.2.1 which is the MR.
    slagman5 and dalight13 like this.
    11-01-13 11:40 PM
    I spoke to a couple of Devs, they confirmed that BlackBerry are going to implement the one-button homescreen speed dial in 10.2.1 which is the MR.
    Awesome, thanks. :-)
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    11-02-13 12:04 AM
    Yes people, please let's all follow Slagman's lead here...please limit your postings to calling other users "fanboys" and making circle jerk references. any other use of the forum is pointless.

Posted via CB10
    Response to other comments about another member of these forums. When people are patting each other in the back, I called them out. When people are insulting another person, I called them out...

Oh, wait, but I have a different opinion than you... No wonder, sorry about that man...

Just out of curiosity, try to forget everything that was said here, let's pretend you were in a forum, and people started discussing things, and then a discussion started up about the shortcomings of certain aspects of the iphone, let's say. Here is an example of what could be said:

----------
    Person A: Man, I am tired of the iphone not giving me the option to change the notification sound for emails and other notifications, and texts should allow me to use any sound file, not just pick from the list they give. And what about opening it up to allow mp3 ringtones and notifications instead of their own m4r format??

Person B: What are you talking about? The way Apple has it done is perfect, the iPhone is the best phone because it is extremely easy to use and has 100 million apps to choose from. If they let you use any sound for anything, that'll make it really hard to set up, it's much better that they limit your options, on or off, that's all you need, why do you need any more? You think you are so special you need your own special sounds? Why don't you just go back to using a dumbphone or a feature phone if you don't like the iPhone? You are spending all of this time on this forum when you should be using your iPhone to realize how great it is.
    -------

Let me ask you, what would you call Person B??
    Last edited by slagman5; 11-02-13 at 12:26 AM.
    11-02-13 12:08 AM
    Is it going to include the ability to launch apps as well? Or just dial numbers?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 12:12 AM
    Is it going to include the ability to launch apps as well? Or just dial numbers?

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean by launch apps? By holding down the keys from the home screen? Oh, you mean like the keyboard shortcuts from before? I have no idea... I think right now the word is just speed dial numbers. But I guess keyboard shortcut lovers will have to settle with universal search/type n go... Hopefully keyboard shortcuts will make their way back, I never really used that since I actually really liked universal search, but the more options the merrier, so I am all for it...
    11-02-13 12:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    That would be awesome!

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 12:50 AM
    Response to other comments about another member of these forums. When people are patting each other in the back, I called them out. When people are insulting another person, I called them out...

Oh, wait, but I have a different opinion than you... No wonder, sorry about that man...

Just out of curiosity, try to forget everything that was said here, let's pretend you were in a forum, and people started discussing things, and then a discussion started up about the shortcomings of certain aspects of the iphone, let's say. Here is an example of what could be said:

----------
    Person A: Man, I am tired of the iphone not giving me the option to change the
    't like the iPhone? You are spending all of this time on this forum when you should be using your iPhone to realize how great it is.
    -------

Very little of "Person B" has occurred here. Mostly it's people like woofhaven or I telling SoxFan and others to please stop, because all your doing is ranting.

I don't even know why I'm here right now.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 12:54 AM

----------
    Person A: Man, I am tired of the iphone not giving me the option to change the notification sound for emails and other notifications, and texts should allow me to use any sound file, not just pick from the list they give. And what about opening it up to allow mp3 ringtones and notifications instead of their own m4r format??

Person B: What are you talking about? The way Apple has it done is perfect, the iPhone is the best phone because it is extremely easy to use and has 100 million apps to choose from. If they let you use any sound for anything, that'll make it really hard to set up, it's much better that they limit your options, on or off, that's all you need, why do you need any more? You think you are so special you need your own special sounds? Why don't you just go back to using a dumbphone or a feature phone if you don't like the iPhone? You are spending all of this time on this forum when you should be using your iPhone to realize how great it is.
    -------

Quote anyone you ever called a fanboy using the word "perfect" to descibe the Q10. I mean it. Find an actual quote.

What's happening here isn't anything like what you describe. It's more like:

Person A: the Q10 is total rubbish. It's a failure. It's the reason blackberry is failing because now I have to use 2 buttons when I only had to use 1 on my Bold.

Person B: hey here's something I do that makes that not so tough to deal with.

Person C: good news! Blackberry says their going fix that.

Person D: you guys are all a bunch of fanboys who are willing to accept this failed phone. Why do you keep excusing Blackberry for being such a total failure.

Person E: dude, tone it down a bit, maybe?

Person D: what, no one is even allowed to offer honest criticism here? You guys are all a bunch of fanboys! How's that circle jerk going? I can't believe you think this phone is so perfect! How dare you?

See, once upon a time, forums were a place where people would post (among other things) issues that they were having, and other members of the community would jusmp in and try to do this thing we call "helping" by offering advice, workarounds, etc.

That was before a small group of disruptive people showed up and decided that they were going to try to shout down anyone who tried to offer assistance. Suddenly anyone who tried to offer a workaround was immediately told why the workaround was such a terrible, terrible idea. Anyone who said, hey, you might find that you get used to this because I did is shouted down for accepting a terrible phone. Anyone who says, hey this is supposed to be fixed soon is "making excuses" for Blackberry.

See, people like us (the sane members of this community) don't like it when people like you (the haters) do that, because when I post a proble or issue, I don"t want people to feel too intimidated to try to help.

That's why you and Soxfan are getting all this push back. It's not because we all think this phone is perfect or that Blackberry is perfect. Rest easy, we're disappointed too. We just don't agree with the hijacking of all these forums.

Here, let's do this: I'll start a thread and ask for people who think the phone is perfect to sound off. You'll see a remarkable lack of response. Watch for the thread.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 12:59 AM
    Quote anyone you ever called a fanboy using the word "perfect" to descibe the Q10. I mean it. Find an actual quote.

What's happening here isn't anything like what you describe. It's more like:

Person A: the Q10 is total rubbish. It's a failure. It's the reason blackberry is failing because now I have to use 2 buttons when I only had to use 1 on my Bold.

Person B: hey here's something I do that makes that not so tough to deal with.

Person C: good news! Blackberry says their going fix that.

Person D: you guys are all a bunch of fanboys who are willing to accept this failed phone. Why do you keep excusing Blackberry for being such a total failure.

Person E: dude, tone it down a bit, maybe?

Person D: what, no one is even allowed to offer honest criticism here? You guys are all a bunch of fanboys! How's that circle jerk going? I can't believe you think this phone is so perfect! How dare you?

See, once upon a time, forums were a place where people would post (among other things) issues that they were having, and other members of the community would jusmp in and try to do this thing we call "helping" by offering advice, workarounds, etc.

That was before a small group of disruptive people showed up and decided that they were going to try to shout down anyone who tried to offer assistance. Suddenly anyone who tried to offer a workaround was immediately told why the workaround was such a terrible, terrible idea. Anyone who said, hey, you might find that you get used to this because I did is shouted down for accepting a terrible phone. Anyone who says, hey this is supposed to be fixed soon is "making excuses" for Blackberry.

See, people like us (the sane members of this community) don't like it when people like you (the haters) do that, because when I post a proble or issue, I don"t want people to feel too intimidated to try to help.

That's why you and Soxfan are getting all this push back. It's not because we all think this phone is perfect or that Blackberry is perfect. Rest easy, we're disappointed too. We just don't agree with the hijacking of all these forums.

Here, let's do this: I'll start a thread and ask for people who think the phone is perfect to sound off. You'll see a remarkable lack of response. Watch for the thread.

Posted via CB10
    LMAO!! Please find one quote from me calling this phone a failure... I am USING A Q10 for goodness sakes, I've stated MULTIPLE TIMES that I really like this phone and am not thinking of changing... Seriously, you've got a problem. But don't worry, your circle.. pat on the back, buddies will be here soon to like your post and tell you how exactly right you are and how you're their hero. :-D

And yes, nobody came out and said the phone is perfect, but it's the fact that every time someone mentioned a feature they wish it had or that could be improved, certain people jump in and give all kinds of reasons why that's not a good idea or why they can't do it, things that even BB hasn't said or used as the reasoning. The point is not that one word of it being "perfect" take that out and my question still stands. What do you call that person that's making up all kinds of excuses for why Apple don't allow those things in the example I gave. Notice, I even put some legitimate arguments in Person's B's statement as well. I actually do believe the iphone is an easy phone to use. Usually if a friend is just right now getting into a smartphone and they ask me for recommendations, I actually do recommend the iphone to those people... And we all know it does have a ton of apps to choose from. I love how you're so focused on that one word out of that entire hypothetical comment. You're pretty much admitting that everything else have been fairly represented...

Same with what's going on here, yes we have people bringing up valid points for why the Q10 is still a good phone (which I agree with, despite you claiming I'm calling it a failure of a phone...), but that's no reason to ignore the fact that there are things that need to be improved or added... And for me, when people start rationalizing the omission of good features by listing the things that did get improved, sorry, but that's fanboyism right there. There should be no reason to omit a good feature that they already know about from before... The fact that they are saying they will fix it just further cements this. Even they are admitting it's a mistake, why can't some of the people here??
    Last edited by slagman5; 11-02-13 at 01:32 AM.
    11-02-13 01:18 AM
    LMAO!! Please find one quote from me calling this phone a failure... I am USING A Q10 for goodness sakes, I've stated MULTIPLE TIMES that I really like this phone and am not thinking of changing... Seriously, you've got a problem. But don't worry, your circle.. pat on the back, buddies will be here soon to like your post and tell you how exactly right you are and how you're they're hero. :-D
    Maybe not you, but certainly SoxFan. He/She's said it dozens of times: "This phone is a failure. Why did such a great company screw up and drop the ball on all of its "core customers" and remove all of the "moments of delight""... and on and on and on and on.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 01:24 AM
    Maybe not you, but certainly SoxFan. He/She's said it dozens of times: "This phone is a failure. Why did such a great company screw up and drop the ball on all of its "core customers" and remove all of the "moments of delight""... and on and on and on and on.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I haven't been keeping score on who said what and what's on second base and who's on first... All I know is that some of my words are jumbled up in all of that. My hypothetical example was supposed to be a jumble and not supposed to really represent any one person here...
    11-02-13 01:47 AM
    I hope they make it optional in the settings at least, because if I'm going to hate that update if I'm not given the choice tu turn off home screen speed dialing. I use universal search more than I make calls, so I have absolutely no need for speed dialing from the home screen; not to mention it makes no sense to me to dial a number outside of the phone app.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 02:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    If I see that fraze one more time, "little moments of delight"; I'm bound to go out and find someone wearing any red sox shirt or hat and punch them in the face. It's overused and played out, gives me nausea now.

Posted via CB10
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    11-02-13 02:59 AM
    For you to promote that person's ridiculous argument of "if you want the good features of legacy devices that means you must want all of the shortcomings too" is the exact opposite of common sense.
    If that's what you got from my post then either proper reading comprehension or a dose of your own prescription of common sense is required.

Posted from my RIM 850 wireless handheld
    11-02-13 04:07 AM
    I was mostly meaning different notification option. You know, like setting vibrate only in holster and only sound and led when out. Also loved the fact that I could set a sound profile for work, and another one for day to day that had more notifications on. I was kind of surprised to see this didn't exist when I powered up for the first time.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-02-13 07:38 AM
    If I see that fraze one more time, "little moments of delight"; I'm bound to go out and find someone wearing any red sox shirt or hat and punch them in the face. It's overused and played out, gives me nausea now.
    WOW, what a juvenile reaction!
    I felt compelled to chime in against my good judgment.
    Just knock it off!
    Are you married to your device?
    Do you realize how ridiculous you sound with this sort of response?
    Don't pile on anybody like this. This is not a war.
    If you are talking about an individual, soxfan in this case, he sounds far more matured, reasoned and logical than any of you juvenile screamers.
    He is probably at more matured age than you guys, and have had good level of experience in using many BB devices in the past.
    You are apparently reacting as if soxfan was insulting "your personal choice" of device, when he was not. To me, he has been just stating his opinion that apparently happened to be different from yours. To be fair to everybody, while I tend to agree with the line of thoughts like soxfan presents, I also try to listen and understand the other side of the argument.
    But once the arguments turn personal like this, it turns me off and you lose the credibility and bases of the argument.
    Your reaction definitely sounds neurotic, and I do get nausea. There is another person who mentioned "soxfan's behaviour" and some such. Are you guys CB police?
    Just calm down and enjoy the discussion. If you have to appeal to the personal attacks, you lost the argument.
    11-02-13 07:49 AM
    I hope they make it optional in the settings at least, because if I'm going to hate that update if I'm not given the choice tu turn off home screen speed dialing. I use universal search more than I make calls, so I have absolutely no need for speed dialing from the home screen; not to mention it makes no sense to me to dial a number outside of the phone app.

Posted via CB10
    They did in bbos7 fine. Long press for speed dial, short typing brings up universal search.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 07:56 AM
    WOW, what a juvenile reaction!
    I felt compelled to chime in against my good judgment.
    Just knock it off!
    Are you married to your device?
    Do you realize how ridiculous you sound with this sort of response?
    Don't pile on anybody like this. This is not a war.
    If you are talking about an individual, soxfan in this case, he sounds far more matured, reasoned and logical than any of you juvenile screamers.
    He is probably at more matured age than you guys, and have had good level of experience in using many BB devices in the past.
    You are apparently reacting as if soxfan was insulting "your personal choice" of device, when he was not. To me, he has been just stating his opinion that apparently happened to be different from yours. To be fair to everybody, while I tend to agree with the line of thoughts like soxfan presents, I also try to listen and understand the other side of the argument.
    But once the arguments turn personal like this, it turns me off and you lose the credibility and bases of the argument.
    Your reaction definitely sounds neurotic, and I do get nausea. There is another person who mentioned "soxfan's behaviour" and some such. Are you guys CB police?
    Just calm down and enjoy the discussion. If you have to appeal to the personal attacks, you lost the argument.
    His comment had nothing to do with BlackBerry, but with the fact that SocksFan seems to feel the need to use this phrase nearly every single time he posts a comment. He first quoted it from a Washington Post article, and I suppose because it was such an excellent generic argument that could be used in any argument as to why "BlackBerry dropped the ball on its core customers blah blah blah" (another oft-used phrase used by SoxFan), he took it up as his default argument.

As for SocksFan sounding more mature, no, he does not. He's expressed his opinion far too strongly far too many times and repeatedly ignored the many solutions presented to him. And about SoxFan's behaviour being mentioned, that is because he's a stubborn goat, refuses to accept a solution that will work until the problem is fixed, and purposely, it seems, tries to arouse people's anger. I'm not saying that can't be said of a lot of other people either.

Now if we all could be civil... please.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 09:23 AM
    Would love this feature back, can't imagine it would be at all hard to implement.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 and Anonymous2039 like this.
    11-02-13 09:35 AM
402 ... 89101112 ...