Wow, talk about a complex. I am starting to think that Slag and Fox are the same person.

It's been announced that the feature is being added. It's coming, but somehow that's not good enough?

Posted via CB10
    He just won't take yes for an answer.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 06:54 PM
    I know but it's a good laugh. Some people don't seem to understand that "one touch" doesn't always mean that is the fastest way to call someone.

I have had somewhere around 30 or so BlackBerry devies over the past 8 years and used speed dial for a small % of my calls.

Not that it's not a feature that would be great to add, but it's not at the top of my priority list. Adding calendar implantation to Remember in 10.2 was more important for me.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 07:00 PM
    I didn't read all the thread. There's a tremendous amount of little things that this phone missed. Missed big. It's a solid phone hardware wise, email wise.
    I have a TON of contacts in my phone. I have something like 11 people with the first name of John. It's a pain to pull the phone out and call one of the more common names. One of them I call a LOT so I went and named him AAJohn. So I can just dial AAJ and get to him faster.
    Anyone else have problems when you speed dial a name, tap the name to call the person and nothing happens? I'll tap the phone icon, then the person icon and tap the name again and it will then call. No clue what that's all about.
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-04-13 07:45 AM
    There is an easy fix for the contacts...just add their last name. Not sure about the speed dial. I don't use the current implantation.

I didn't read all the thread. There's a tremendous amount of little things that this phone missed. Missed big. It's a solid phone hardware wise, email wise.
    I have a TON of contacts in my phone. I have something like 11 people with the first name of John. It's a pain to pull the phone out and call one of the more common names. One of them I call a LOT so I went and named him AAJohn. So I can just dial AAJ and get to him faster.
    Anyone else have problems when you speed dial a name, tap the name to call the person and nothing happens? I'll tap the phone icon, then the person icon and tap the name again and it will then call. No clue what that's all about.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:14 AM
    Kevin Michaluk wrote a blog about it, calling it his friendly ranting. And in his later update, he told us that "In response to this article, we just received a nice tweet from one of the fine folks on #TEAMBLACKBERRY:

"@CrackBerry Hey guys, we've heard you and we are listening. A few already fixed in dev builds and will work its way into future updates""

That was on May 8, 2013 folks, almost half an year ago. Since then, various people said that it would be implemented in 10.2, and everybody thought so.
    Nothing happened, and this thread has a very accurate and valid title.

Then, good folks thought that RIM/BBRY's bad habit never changed. Coming soon but not....

I am beginning to think that they may have some engineering difficulty to implement any keyboard shortcuts from the home screen. The Q10 essentially being a touch screen device, not really designed as a keyboard device from the ground up, they may have some difficulty to program anything that is associated with the keyboard.
    Either that, or they fired too may people, and left with only junior coders who can program what they were told to do, but lack experience, and more importantly, do not understand why the legacy holdouts, including a chunk of huge enterprise markets, are abandoning the BB10 in droves. I am afraid it's both.

If they could have proven that such a basic function in a keyboard device as the home screen speed dialling could be promptly implemented, our confidence in their ability (to remedy and understand the rationale of such changes) might somewhat be restored, but to me, the fact that they missed this thing (just an example) in the first place is very telling.

Now, please do not pile on me. I am not bashing the Q10, or those folks who chose it as their favourite device.
    From the pattern of my everyday use, which I think is close to that of the enterprise users, I decided that the legacy devices are better than the current state of the Q10 "for now".
    I have been watching these forums to time when I would switch back to the Q10. Regardless of each individual functions, I rather like to see where BBRY is heading in terms of improving the Q10. If it's still a fire drill exercise, patching here, patching there, then there is not much hope before everybody finally exits. In that sense, failing to see the lack of speed dialling in 10.2 (as a test case) was a disappointment.
    slagman5 and gabbleratchet like this.
    11-04-13 08:16 AM
    I do things like that as well...unfortunately the whole Contacts character/name recognition thing is frustratingly slooow. Many problems with the Contacts module. Not sure how it could be so bad after having been so good.
    11-04-13 08:21 AM
    I for some reason have really bad luck with the touchscreen around the corners for some reason.
    Yes, we all know the touchscreen is defective at the corners. One of the many examples where a trackpad would have helped. Don't understand what they were thinking.

What I used to do with my 9900 is take my phone out and hold one button to speed dial and my eyes NEVER leave the road. So you be the judge.
    Obviously, one touch speed dial was a big advantage and leaving it out is a classic mistake. I don't think anyone is really arguing that the device is better without one touch speed dial. Some people are saying they wouldn't use it for various reasons, but I think most people recognize the inherent advantage of one touch speed dial.

Otherwise, I think the bigger point is questioning how they could have built a device without such a fundamental feature, and others like it that BBY spent so many years developing/implementing, and how long it is taking BBY to fix it (among many other issues/problems).
    11-04-13 08:33 AM
    Lot of good points. I think most long time users that have followed BlackBerry as a company and used their devices over the past 7 or 8 years, find it hard to be too disappointed in the Q10.

Many people never thought we would ever see it. They have slashed their staff for 3 straight years. I think it was 2000 in July of 2011. More in 2012 and then I think the last round came after the above announcement that this feature was coming. ... and that one was brutal.

My hope is they can sustain themselves with what they have remaining now. But you can't slash your staff like that and not feel the sting.

But for me, the sting of them going out of business would sting for a much longer time.

Now I have to go make about a hundred calls to catch up and unfortunately, one touch speed dial wouldn't help if I had it.

Kevin Michaluk wrote a blog about it, calling it his friendly ranting. And in his later update, he told us that "In response to this article, we just received a nice tweet from one of the fine folks on #TEAMBLACKBERRY:

"@CrackBerry Hey guys, we've heard you and we are listening. A few already fixed in dev builds and will work its way into future updates""

That was on May 8, 2013 folks, almost half an year ago. Since then, various people said that it would be implemented in 10.2, and everybody thought so.

Then, good folks thought that RIM/BBRY's bad habit never changed. Coming soon but not....

I am beginning to think that they may have some engineering difficulty to implement any keyboard shortcuts from the home screen. The Q10 essentially being a touch screen device, not really designed as a keyboard device from the ground up, they may have some difficulty to program anything that is associated with the keyboard.
    Either that, or they fired too may people, and left with only junior coders who can program what they were told to do, but lack experience, and more importantly, do not understand why the legacy holdouts, including a chunk of huge enterprise markets, are abandoning the BB10 in droves. I am afraid it's both.

If they could have proven that such a basic function in a keyboard device as the home screen speed dialling could be promptly implemented, our confidence in their ability (to remedy and understand the rationale of such changes) might somewhat be restored, but to me, the fact that they missed this thing (just an example) in the first place is very telling.

Now, please do not pile on me. I am not bashing the Q10, or those folks who chose it as their favourite device.
    From the pattern of my everyday use, which I think is close to that of the enterprise users, I decided that the legacy devices are better than the current state of the Q10 "for now".
    I have been watching these forums to time when I would switch back to the Q10. Regardless of each individual functions, I rather like to see where BBRY is heading in terms of improving the Q10. If it's still a fire drill exercise, patching here, patching there, then there is not much hope before everybody finally exits. In that sense, failing to see the lack of speed dialling in 10.2 (as a test case) was a disappointment.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 08:38 AM
    One is hardware, the other it looking at the screen and getting the tap correct.

Hardware vs capactivie touch. Hardware wins every time because you don't have to look at the screen to do it. And because of that, it's faster AND safer when driving.

Posted via CB10
    you shouldn't be using it while driving, illegal in most places
    11-04-13 09:11 AM
    That happens when you have a defective phone, as many have suggested you do. Have you replaced it yet? If not, why not? After today's news you might want to hurry. "The worst case scenario is still bad - the company could go bankrupt......"

I make a ton of calls on most days so one touch speed dial would not help me much, but I sure would love a better solution to calling numbers from the calendar. There has to be an app for this, as it's a big feature on the iPhone, etc.

Yes, we all know the touchscreen is defective at the corners. One of the many examples where a trackpad would have helped. Don't understand what they were thinking.

Obviously, one touch speed dial was a big advantage and leaving it out is a classic mistake. I don't think anyone is really arguing that the device is better without one touch speed dial. Some people are saying they wouldn't use it for various reasons, but I think most people recognize the inherent advantage of one touch speed dial.

Otherwise, I think the bigger point is questioning how they could have built a device without such a fundamental feature, and others like it that BBY spent so many years developing/implementing, and how long it is taking BBY to fix it (among many other issues/problems).
    11-04-13 09:41 AM
    Exactly, and for those of us who have more than just a few friends and family that we call and use the phone for more than browsing the internet and playing games, these things can get quite annoying pretty quickly...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-04-13 12:12 PM

Thank you for your well thought-out response. I apologize ahead of time if you get any one jumping on you for not giving them excuses. I am still using the Q10 despite these let-downs because there were more things that annoyed me about the legacy devices. Namely that damn spinning circle that stops me in my tracks every time I need to do something with the phone... I am hoping that "coming soon" is really coming soon, now with this new CEO...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    xanadome likes this.
    11-04-13 12:16 PM
    That happens when you have a defective phone, as many have suggested you do. Have you replaced it yet? If not, why not? After today's news you might want to hurry. "The worst case scenario is still bad - the company could go bankrupt......"

I make a ton of calls on most days so one touch speed dial would not help me much, but I sure would love a better solution to calling numbers from the calendar. There has to be an app for this, as it's a big feature on the iPhone, etc.
    The part of the phone that I think is defective is the microphone. That's what I am swapping it out for.

People have said the touch screen problem in the corners is inherent in the touch screen and it's software. People have said that it's a software fix in 10.2. I am waiting to see.
    11-04-13 01:18 PM
    I am on 10.2 and don't have that issue but I dial from the active frame. Are you saying you are still on 10.1?
    The part of the phone that I think is defective is the microphone. That's what I am swapping it out for.

People have said the touch screen problem in the corners is inherent in the touch screen and it's software. People have said that it's a software fix in 10.2. I am waiting to see.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 01:39 PM
    I am on 10.2 and don't have that issue but I dial from the active frame. Are you saying you are still on 10.1?
    Posted via CB10
    We have been told the official release of 10.2 is coming, coming, coming, so I've been waiting, waiting, waiting.
    11-04-13 01:46 PM
    Ha! You do realize that the official release has been out since it was announced over on the Leak Forum, right?

10.2 brings the Remember App up to speed as one of the most productive apps BlackBerry has offered in my opinion.

Hopefully it will keep evolving desite the ongoing company disruptions. They really need a better way to call from the calendar, unless I am missing something.

We have been told the official release of 10.2 is coming, coming, coming, so I've been waiting, waiting, waiting.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 02:04 PM
    Ha! You do realize that the official release has been out since it was announced over on the Leak Forum, right?

10.2 brings the Remember App up to speed as one of the most productive apps BlackBerry has offered in my opinion.

Hopefully it will keep evolving desite the ongoing company disruptions. They really need a better way to call from the calendar, unless I am missing something.

Posted via CB10
    I am aware of that...I had thought the official release was soon, so I've been waiting patiently on the sideline. Now that the Blackberry sale is over, it looks like they are staying course with the additional capital.
    11-04-13 03:02 PM
    Not sure if you get what I am saying. Once they announced what build the official version was, you could get it on the leak forum. No need to wait for your carrier to push it...unless you feel the need to use an OTA.
    I am aware of that...I had thought the official release was soon, so I've been waiting patiently on the sideline. Now that the Blackberry sale is over, it looks like they are staying course with the additional capital.
    11-04-13 03:07 PM
    Not sure if you get what I am saying. Once they announced what build the official version was, you could get it on the leak forum. No need to wait for your carrier to push it...unless you feel the need to use an OTA.
    I thought someone indicated that it was riskier and more time consuming to load it that way...guess you're say it's not. Why would AT&T wait a month or so to release it?
    11-04-13 03:24 PM
    they are all taking too long to release it. the risk is in the OS itself, not so much the way you install it... but if you have never installed a leak before you may want to just wait it out.
    11-04-13 03:41 PM
    If it is an inherent problem with the screen/software, wouldn't we all be experiencing the same thing? I have no issues with the corners of my touchscreen.

BlackBerry has a free app you can download for hardware diagnostics. I suggest you check it out.

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/27226887

Posted via CB10
    11-04-13 07:06 PM
    I just ran the virtual expert. Passed all test except bluetooth discovery, which had to be skipped on account of no bluetooth devices nearby. Anyway, good to know there are no hardware issues with my device.
    11-04-13 11:14 PM
    It's here. Available in 10.2.1.1055. Real nice OS...
    11-12-13 04:09 AM
    Nice. Did this just leak? Is it stable?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 06:48 AM
    Nice. Did this just leak? Is it stable?

Posted via CB10
    It's unfortunate, I gave it a whirl for all of 15 min before rolling back. I't not optional, so I lose the ability to begin a universal search with special characters... So many amazing things in that leak, and such a huge annoyance it is to me to long press a keyboard button just to see it not bring up the search but instead bring up a notification about configuring a contact to that speed dial. I think I'm going to tweet Michael Clewley and ask if it can be made optional.
    11-12-13 09:22 AM
402 ... 1213141516 ...