I hope they make it optional in the settings at least, because if I'm going to hate that update if I'm not given the choice tu turn off home screen speed dialing. I use universal search more than I make calls, so I have absolutely no need for speed dialing from the home screen; not to mention it makes no sense to me to dial a number outside of the phone app.

Posted via CB10
    Um, you realize you can have both right?? The long press speed dial does not in any way interfere with universal search or type n go...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-02-13 07:49 PM
    I was mostly meaning different notification option. You know, like setting vibrate only in holster and only sound and led when out. Also loved the fact that I could set a sound profile for work, and another one for day to day that had more notifications on. I was kind of surprised to see this didn't exist when I powered up for the first time.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I agree. We should have all of those options back. :-)

11-02-13 07:55 PM
    Would love this feature back, can't imagine it would be at all hard to implement.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, according to CJH_ they did say they will definitely have this. I've updated my original post to reflect this. :-)

11-02-13 07:58 PM
    I used the short-press app shortcuts all the time, but the only speed dial I used was voicemail. I don't know why you couldn't have the long press of a button invoke any action at all: launch an app, toggle sound profile, toggle a setting (e.g. airplane mode or hotspot), dial a number, send a text or a bbm to a specific contact.

Better yet, they should just make an API that allows apps to trap long-press events, and then developers can do whatever they want.

Posted via CB10
    I think that sounds like a great idea too. Did you read my posts about the beta zone? Maybe you should sign up and bring it up if you haven't already.

11-02-13 08:00 PM
    Let's be honest. This phone is a failure. It's not a debate. It's a brutal fact. The company has lost billions in the process. It's an eipc failure. That doesn't mean some people don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But sales are dismall. The device has failed to appeal to the 99% of us, the core Blackberry user, as well as many competitive converts. The niche audience that have bought this device, myself included, are few and far between. That's a fact. It's not up for debate.

Why a company that had such a strong financial and competitive position missed the boat by such a wide margin is certainly a worthwhile discussion. I'm sure it has much to do with missing so many "little moments of delight" but also that the OS represents such a radical departure from previous devices. I think that was a huge strategic blunder. This fall from market dominace will be studied for generations to come. I'm sure the issues go back to prior mistakes and the problems compunded.

The fact that BB10 is missing so many of the company's iconic "little moments of delight" as the Globe and Mail apltly termed it, exemplifies much of the root of the problem. Again, it's a fact, not an opinion. The result is a massive failure by the company and dthese products to generate significant market appeal.

That doesn't mean that there's zero appeal. Just not much in big boy economic terms. Nore is there anything wrong with people liking the device and being thrilled with the company and how they developed these products. But, by the same token, don't criticize people who have a different opinion and are disappointed in the device bewildered by the decisions by the company. People can disagree with others' opinions -- that's healthy -- but should refrain for criticizing people for having their opinions and/or citing facts, and otherwise avoid personal attacks.

Posted via CB10
    To be fair Sox (damn I've said this phrase a lot lately...) the company was on a downward spiral long before BB10 came out...

Anonymous2039 likes this.
    11-02-13 08:01 PM
    I think there is unreasonable frustration about this feature and BB 10 in general is because there is a very unrealistic expectation. How could anyone expect BlackBerry to be able to move things along at the same pace today, as they did when the last BBOD device came out?

This feature is a great example. BB has stated it's coming. But another round of massive layoffs happened and it's not here yet. But when you bring up what would seem like common sense, people accuse you of being a fanboy.
    The issue here is that they should have had this feature from the beginning. Then these layoffs and whatever excuse you want to give them now would not even matter...

11-02-13 08:03 PM
    I think this pretty much sums this thread up...

The issue here is that they should have had this feature from the beginning. Then these layoffs and whatever excuse you want to give them now would not even matter...

To be fair Sox (damn I've said this phrase a lot lately...) the company was on a downward spiral long before BB10 came out...
    11-02-13 08:08 PM
    Because long press already has a function associated to it. Press for a letter, short long press for a capital letter, long long press for special characters.

If they do update and include long press speed dial from home screen, then I truly hope they make it an optional toggle of sorts in the settings. I'm sure there are some people out there such as myself that use Universal Search and special characters way more often than we make calls. I would prefer keeping this functionality as is, but I do hope that everyone gets what they want eventually, simple as that.
    Zero, have you used a BB OS 7 device before? Yes, long press makes a capital letter, but when do you EVER need a capital letter as the FIRST letter in type n go or universal search?? Typing "karen" to search for Karen works just as well as typing "Karen." Long press speed dialing only happens if you long press from the beginning. If you're already typing into universal search, long pressing will give you a capital letter. But again, when do you need to search for a capital letter? The search function isn't case sensitive...

11-02-13 08:09 PM
    Finally some common sense on this thread.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, really? So basically any statement that agrees with your sentiment that it's somehow impossible or extremely hard to do is common sense? Despite the fact that it doesn't align with reality since you never need to start off a search with a capital letter?? You realize holding for a capital letter was also the method in OS 7 right? Yet universal search and the long press speed dialing worked perfectly fine TOGETHER. How did that happen? Defies common sense...

11-02-13 08:12 PM
    I think this pretty much sums this thread up...
    The company was, the layoffs didn't happen in full swing until recently when BB10 didn't perform like they hoped... Nice try though. :-)

11-02-13 08:13 PM
    I guess losing half your staff isn't a big deal. Perhaps you should apply at BB and fix it for us Obviously all the independent developers are clueless too, right?

RIM to continue layoffs, 3,000 exiting the company before the end of the second quarter | CrackBerry.com

The company was, the layoffs didn't happen in full swing until recently when BB10 didn't perform like they hoped... Nice try though. :-)

11-02-13 08:23 PM
    or..... the Q10 is that sweet spot of core users and most of those features are here and the rest are coming. It's just taking a little longer because those developers were let go a long time ago.
    Sweet spot of core users? Is that really a thing? I thought core users were the sweet spot of all users?

Huge following with bb7, all lost because they ignored the keyboard so much with bb10.

The platform is coming up on being in development for almost 3 years. 3 years and no home screen shortcuts or speed dial, really?

Why doesn't someone from BlackBerry just step and say, "We screwed up and we're trying to fix it?"

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 08:27 PM
    They said that about 90 days ago. It's coming. And the Q has not been out 3 years. Not sure where you got that from.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by waterfrontmgmt; 11-02-13 at 10:52 PM.
    11-02-13 08:39 PM
    They said that about 90 days ago. It's coming. And the Q has not been out 3 years. Not sure where you got that from.

Posted via CB10
    Nobody said the Q has been out for 3 years. He said BB10 has been in development for 3 years... When did these lay offs start again?

11-02-13 11:24 PM
    Sweet spot of core users? Is that really a thing? I thought core users were the sweet spot of all users?

Huge following with bb7, all lost because they ignored the keyboard so much with bb10.

The platform is coming up on being in development for almost 3 years. 3 years and no home screen shortcuts or speed dial, really?

Why doesn't someone from BlackBerry just step and say, "We screwed up and we're trying to fix it?"

Posted via CB10
    According to a long time member of these forums, CJH_, they did say they are fixing the speed dial thing beyond the little improvement in 10.2. I know it's not everything, but it's definitely a good thing if we have at least that. :-)

11-02-13 11:25 PM
    The Q is the only BB10 device with a Keyboard. Nice try back at you.

Nobody said the Q has been out for 3 years. He said BB10 has been in development for 3 years... When did these lay offs start again?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:27 PM
    I guess losing half your staff isn't a big deal. Perhaps you should apply at BB and fix it for us Obviously all the independent developers are clueless too, right?

RIM to continue layoffs, 3,000 exiting the company before the end of the second quarter | CrackBerry.com
    Second quarter of what year? 2013? 2012? 2011? 2010? When did BB10 first start development?

And I would never claim they are "clueless" or incompetent. I think most of us who are not bowing down to them have acknowledged that the most likely reason for these features not showing up from legacy devices is because they used people who are familiar with QNX to develop the OS and not people who worked on the legacy OS. And also that they cared more about trying to attract the touchscreen crowd while assuming BB loyalists would simply accept what they come out with. It's blatantly obvious that BB10 is more geared toward the touchscreen than the keyboard. I just hope that they now realize (and they have by them confirming they are working to fix the issue with the speed dial) that they made a few mistakes along the way (and honestly, what new system doesn't make mistakes??) and will work to win back the trust of BB keyboard loyalists...

11-02-13 11:27 PM
    I love how even though BB themselves have pretty much admitted that this was a misstep by promising to fix it, yet we have people making excuses for them that even they are not making... They made a good phone, but it could be improved, nothing insulting or degrading about that, just something totally expected from a brand new platform. Remember iphone 1 didn't even allow for apps, they didn't support MMS until the 3Gs, Android was extremely laggy before, every new platform makes mistakes when they are new, and this was one of them by BB. I'm not being especially harsh on BB. How can we be saying this is not the case??

11-02-13 11:37 PM
    Google BlackBerry lay offs and follow the story.

The article I posted was second quarter last year, when they dropped to 50% of their former staff. Well before people complained about their Q10's.

Independent devopers means 3rd party developer. You know, the ones that cash in on the things BlackBerry misses.

Second quarter of what year? 2013? 2012? 2011? 2010? When did BB10 first start development?

And I would never claim they are "clueless" or incompetent. I think most of us who are not bowing down to them have acknowledged that the most likely reason for these features not showing up from legacy devices is because they used people who are familiar with QNX to develop the OS and not people who worked on the legacy OS. And also that they cared more about trying to attract the touchscreen crowd while assuming BB loyalists would simply accept what they come out with. It's blatantly obvious that BB10 is more geared toward the touchscreen than the keyboard. I just hope that they now realize (and they have by them confirming they are working to fix the issue with the speed dial) that they made a few mistakes along the way (and honestly, what new system doesn't make mistakes??) and will work to win back the trust of BB keyboard loyalists...

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:44 PM
    Time to close this thread.
    11-02-13 11:47 PM
    ...They made a good phone, but it could be improved...
    THIS is a great way of discussing areas for improvement. I think the problem is some members feel the need to talk as though the device is a terrible failure as a whole, and then top it off by trying to pass off their opinion as fact. This, understandably, causes an outcry from the many members who don't agree with that sentiment. If more people had the cognitive and communicative strength to use language that clearly differentiates their own personal opinions from fact, the response would generally be more receptive. I think everyone is all for trying to improve our devices and add features as the platform is developed, but some members just need a better understanding of basic communication skills. Talking in absolutes instead of productive suggestions and discussion is always going to be polarizing and cause a less than positive response.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:59 PM
    Um, you realize you can have both right?? The long press speed dial does not in any way interfere with universal search or type n go...

And how do you suppose that? If I had to long press to use universal search starting with a special character, then long press speed dial would be activated instead of universal search. So again, if implemented I would rather it be completely optional; then everyone would be able to have exactly what they want.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:41 AM
    Zero, have you used a BB OS 7 device before? Yes, long press makes a capital letter, but when do you EVER need a capital letter as the FIRST letter in type n go or universal search?? Typing "karen" to search for Karen works just as well as typing "Karen." Long press speed dialing only happens if you long press from the beginning. If you're already typing into universal search, long pressing will give you a capital letter. But again, when do you need to search for a capital letter? The search function isn't case sensitive...

It has nothing to do with capital letters, I specifically mentioned special characters. For some of us, English is actually our second language; for some of us possibly even our third.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:47 AM
    The Q is the only BB10 device with a Keyboard. Nice try back at you.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand what you're saying. When you start a software development project you have a goal in mind. BlackBerry knew they were going to make a keyboard phone when they started bb10 3 years ago. If not, another fault on them.

It's not like q10 development started the day it was released....it started long before that. It had to.

But I'm not sure if you're purposely trolling or just naive on hardware and software development projects.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-03-13 06:23 AM
    And how do you suppose that? If I had to long press to use universal search starting with a special character, then long press speed dial would be activated instead of universal search. So again, if implemented I would rather it be completely optional; then everyone would be able to have exactly what they want.

Posted via CB10
    Did no one use bb7?

They were multiple ways to do this:

Option 1:
    Short taps triggered universal search
    Long presses triggered speed dial

Option 2:
    Short taps were application shortcuts
    To get universal search you short tapped "s"
    Long presses triggered speed dial

I liked option 2 personally. Tapping "s" to pull up search was minimal.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 06:26 AM
402 ... 1011121314 ...