Would love this feature back, can't imagine it would be at all hard to implement.

Posted via CB10
    It's coming.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 09:39 AM
    Halloween is over.
    Got to a mass tomorrow folks
    11-02-13 09:43 AM
    I used the short-press app shortcuts all the time, but the only speed dial I used was voicemail. I don't know why you couldn't have the long press of a button invoke any action at all: launch an app, toggle sound profile, toggle a setting (e.g. airplane mode or hotspot), dial a number, send a text or a bbm to a specific contact.

Better yet, they should just make an API that allows apps to trap long-press events, and then developers can do whatever they want.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-02-13 09:46 AM
    Amazing that so many of you think that it's productive to blather on about other people. I thought these forums were for genuine commentary about he device and the features and functionality. It's a shame the device is so riddled with flaws and such a step backwards in so many ways. Hard to fathom, but that's the way it is. Some people thinks it's all just dandy. Others are diappinted that after so much time and money, the company couldn't deliver a more advanced, competively superior product. Some of the many functional flaws and omissions are more troublesome to some of us than others. Some people don't even mind that virtually every function takes longer -- that the productivity animal that Blackberry used to be is small shadow of its former self. If personal attacks are avoided, this community is an ideal place to discuss these issues and tradeoffs.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:22 AM
    Maybe not you, but certainly SoxFan. He/She's said it dozens of times: "This phone is a failure. Why did such a great company screw up and drop the ball on all of its "core customers" and remove all of the "moments of delight""... and on and on and on and on.

Posted via CB10
    Let's be honest. This phone is a failure. It's not a debate. It's a brutal fact. The company has lost billions in the process. It's an eipc failure. That doesn't mean some people don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But sales are dismall. The device has failed to appeal to the 99% of us, the core Blackberry user, as well as many competitive converts. The niche audience that have bought this device, myself included, are few and far between. That's a fact. It's not up for debate.

Why a company that had such a strong financial and competitive position missed the boat by such a wide margin is certainly a worthwhile discussion. I'm sure it has much to do with missing so many "little moments of delight" but also that the OS represents such a radical departure from previous devices. I think that was a huge strategic blunder. This fall from market dominace will be studied for generations to come. I'm sure the issues go back to prior mistakes and the problems compunded.

The fact that BB10 is missing so many of the company's iconic "little moments of delight" as the Globe and Mail apltly termed it, exemplifies much of the root of the problem. Again, it's a fact, not an opinion. The result is a massive failure by the company and dthese products to generate significant market appeal.

That doesn't mean that there's zero appeal. Just not much in big boy economic terms. Nore is there anything wrong with people liking the device and being thrilled with the company and how they developed these products. But, by the same token, don't criticize people who have a different opinion and are disappointed in the device bewildered by the decisions by the company. People can disagree with others' opinions -- that's healthy -- but should refrain for criticizing people for having their opinions and/or citing facts, and otherwise avoid personal attacks.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:42 AM
    I think there is unreasonable frustration about this feature and BB 10 in general is because there is a very unrealistic expectation. How could anyone expect BlackBerry to be able to move things along at the same pace today, as they did when the last BBOD device came out?

This feature is a great example. BB has stated it's coming. But another round of massive layoffs happened and it's not here yet. But when you bring up what would seem like common sense, people accuse you of being a fanboy.

Amazing that so many of you think that it's productive to blather on about other people. I thought these forums were for genuine commentary about he device and the features and functionality. It's a shame the device is so riddled with flaws and such a step backwards in so many ways. Hard to fathom, but that's the way it is. Some people thinks it's all just dandy. Others are diappinted that after so much time and money, the company couldn't deliver a more advanced, competively superior product. Some of the many functional flaws and omissions are more troublesome to some of us than others. Some people don't even mind that virtually every function takes longer -- that the productivity animal that Blackberry used to be is small shadow of its former self. If personal attacks are avoided, this community is an ideal place to discuss these issues and tradeoffs.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 11:45 AM
    Let's be honest. This phone is a failure. It's not a debate. It's a brutal fact. The company has lost billions in the process. It's an eipc failure. That doesn't mean some people don't like it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But sales are dismall. The device has failed to appeal to the 99% of us, the core Blackberry user, as well as many competitive converts. The niche audience that have bought this device, myself included, are few and far between. That's a fact. It's not up for debate.

Why a company that had such a strong financial and competitive position missed the boat by such a wide margin is certainly a worthwhile discussion. I'm sure it has much to do with missing so many "little moments of delight" but also that the OS represents such a radical departure from previous devices. I think that was a huge strategic blunder. This fall from market dominace will be studied for generations to come. I'm sure the issues go back to prior mistakes and the problems compunded.

The fact that BB10 is missing so many of the company's iconic "little moments of delight" as the Globe and Mail apltly termed it, exemplifies much of the root of the problem. Again, it's a fact, not an opinion. The result is a massive failure by the company and dthese products to generate significant market appeal.

That doesn't mean that there's zero appeal. Just not much in big boy economic terms. Nore is there anything wrong with people liking the device and being thrilled with the company and how they developed these products. But, by the same token, don't criticize people who have a different opinion and are disappointed in the device bewildered by the decisions by the company. People can disagree with others' opinions -- that's healthy -- but should refrain for criticizing people for having their opinions and/or citing facts, and otherwise avoid personal attacks.

Posted via CB10
    You know what? I've had enough. I've tried to work some sense into your dense skull, but you're a stubborn goat. I'll say it one more time: please don't present your opinion as fact, even if you think it is (unless you provide verifiable evidence--and opinion pieces in newspapers are not evidence--anything you state is either opinion or rumour), and please stop being a troll.

Good day. You won't hear from me anymore. I suggest others such as woofhaven and waterfrontmgnt do the same.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 01:14 PM
    I'll say it one more time: please don't present your opinion as fact, even if you think it is (unless you provide verifiable evidence--and opinion pieces in newspapers are not evidence--anything you state is either opinion or rumour).

Posted via CB10
    Amazing that you see fit to comment so liberally here on Crackberry, heaping all sorts of simplistic and naively blind laudatory praise all over the place, but have such a hard time when someone presents a contrary position, supported by facts.

I guess that's the definition of "fanboy": blind devotion and absense of facts.

I guess it's the fanboy in you that feels justified in claiming that the loss of some $65 BILLION isn't a fact.

I guess it's the fanboy in you that ignores the writedown of a billion in inventory and fails to acknowledge it as a fact.

It must be the fanboy in you that doesn't recognize ongoing layoffs in excess of 4500 people as a fact.

Or, going from market leader to market laggard in record time.

Certainly, it's the fanboy in you that somehow fails to acknowledge the reality of the device's dismal sales among both pre-existing Blackberry users as well as competive converts as fact, even though it's a gloablly acknowledged fait accomplit by everyone else and is another indusputible fact. I guess the fact that Blackberry announced that it is exiting the business is another fact that doesn't mean anything: listening to you, it sounds like that should be interpreted as a sign of product success.

It certainly must be the fanboy in you that seems to not acknowledge the FACT that BB10 is missing a plethora of legacy features. Or that BB10 is called the "UnBlackberry" because of how radically different the OS functions compared to previous devices. All indisputable facts, but somehow not for you.

I'm not sure what business you are in, but just in case you don't understand how markets work: stock price and company value reflect company and product performance. We're down to a few billion dollars in market value after adjusting for cash on hand because the product is a failure, with no meaningful expectation of significantly positive performance.

Now we understand.
    Last edited by SoxFan; 11-02-13 at 01:56 PM.
    11-02-13 01:42 PM
    Too funny. Yeah because stock price and sales figures are a stand alone indicator of product quality and efficacy. You don't really expect anyone to buy into this flawed logic, do you? Anyone with any sense can see the obvious ridiculousness of this statement. By that same logic McDonald's makes the highest quality hamburgers. Really not even valid enough to warrant a response, but I'm feeling social. Thanks for the chuckle.

Posted via CB10
    PJD642 likes this.
    11-02-13 02:10 PM
    Now there's logic for you???

Gee, let's see: what would happen If McDonald's had the increasingly irrelevant market share in their industry that Blackberry has? Hmm, that's a tough one, but the experts tell me that it too would have a very low stock market value.

Gee, let's see, if McDonald's tried to shore up it's rapidly decling market share by spending billions of dollars to launch new products that no one bought, I wonder what would happen. Let see, the experts also say it would have a very low company value.

So there you have it. The experts have spoken and look at the value of the company.

You may think this is a great device. But unfortunately for the company and for us, you are in a very small niche minority. The market says differently. They aren't buying it. They are buying lots of devices, just not Blackberries.

So while you are entitled to your opinion about whether you like this device or not, the market has spoken and given it a yawn. That's the ultimate, indisputable fact. Nothing to argue with there.

We can discuss why this epic failure occurred and try to identify all the strategic mistakes that were made by the company which produced this result, but we can't deny the facts.

We can share stories about what we like and don't like about what has been retained and what has been newly introduced, but we can't deny that so much pre-existing functionality has been ditched and that the consequences to the company haven't been devastating.

And we can hope for lots of improvements within this product's lifetime, but we can't ignore that the company is exiting the business and otherwise is being sold off.
    11-02-13 02:22 PM
    No. The market doesn't speak for product quality, that's the point. The market speaks to total execution. If you want to state that BlackBerry didn't execute the re-entry into the market as a whole very well, you could make a good argument for that. But to try to claim that subpar sales MUST mean the product is subpar is to ignore the complicated multifaceted nature of market dynamics. It's not even close to reality.

Posted via CB10
    snejpa likes this.
    11-02-13 02:33 PM
    Welcome to reality..... and what BB has already said was their future. They are going are after a niche market with a skeleton staff, on a smaller scale. Sad, but true. The consumer market changes. Can you say Palm?

You may think this is a great device. But unfortunately for the company and for us, you are in a very small niche minority. The market says differently. .
    11-02-13 02:40 PM
    Welcome to reality..... and what BB has already said was their future. They are going are after a niche market with a skeleton staff, on a smaller scale. Sad, but true. The consumer market changes. Can you say Palm?
    I'm not happy with this reality, but one would think this niche market would include the sweetspot of BBY's core users. That has further been radically whittled down to be those that like the combination of some new less broadly appealing features, and don't mind competitively inferior functionality on many fronts, and the loss of extensive legacy functionality that many people come to relish.
    11-02-13 02:50 PM
    or..... the Q10 is that sweet spot of core users and most of those features are here and the rest are coming. It's just taking a little longer because those developers were let go a long time ago.

I'm not happy with this reality, but one would think this niche market would include the sweetspot of BBY's core users. That has further been radically whittled down to be those that like the combination of some new less broadly appealing features, and don't mind competitively inferior functionality on many fronts, and the loss of extensive legacy functionality that many people come to relish.
    11-02-13 02:55 PM
    No. The market doesn't speak for product quality, that's the point. The market speaks to total execution. If you want to state that BlackBerry didn't execute the re-entry into the market as a whole very well, you could make a good argument for that. But to try to claim that subpar sales MUST mean the product is subpar is to ignore the complicated multifaceted nature of market dynamics. It's not even close to reality.

Posted via CB10

Hmm, now you're blaming the company's demise and the products' failure on market entry execution? Wow. I guess you can have that opinion.

This isn't a new company. This was the market leader. They already had an installed base of 76 million users.

But ok, I think it's delusional to blame this massive failure and product miss on market entry executional mistakes -- that's a mouthful -- but you are free to have that opinion. It's a way out opinion and flies against

To say that the upscale smartphone isn't sophisticated is an oxymoron.

If this device had superior features and functionality it would have widespread appeal among Blackberry and iPhone/Android users alike. The products would be hard to get. There would have been lines around the block.

What's left are a few buyers, some of whom like the devices...and pages and pages of threads by dissatisfied users with problems and complaints. And that's just among a small group of BB10 users.
    11-02-13 02:59 PM
    Here's the reality- there are a handful of features of the old platform that are were not carried over. The importance of these will vary by user, and some are purpoted to be in the pipeline for future software updates. However the overwhelming response at least on this forum seems to be an overall positive experience with the Q10. Even the most vocal critic, Soxfan, has said in no uncertain terms that there is no better device on the market for him. Seems like they must be doing something right for it's "core users" when even the guy who takes every opportunity he can to besmirch the company and the product concedes it's the best device on the market.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:00 PM
    Hmm, now you're blaming the company's demise and the products' failure on market entry execution? Wow. I guess you can have that opinion.

This isn't a new company. This was the market leader. They already had an installed base of 76 million users.

But ok, I think it's delusional to blame this massive failure and product miss on market entry executional mistakes -- that's a mouthful -- but you are free to have that opinion. It's a way out opinion and flies against

If this device had superior features and functionality it would have widespread appeal among Blackberry and iPhone/Android users alike. The products would be hard to get. There would have been lines around the block.

What's left are a few buyers, some of whom like the devices...and pages and pages of threads by dissatisfied users with problems and complaints. And that's just among a small group of BB10 users.
    That's not an opinion. That's fact. The term market execution is all encompassing. It includes marketing, products, co-operative advertising, channel partnerships, strategic partnerships, pricing, etc. A failure for a successful product launch (BB10) is by definition, a failure in market execution. Again, you can have the best product in the world, but if you fail to bring it to market effectively it isn't going to sell. Blackberry failed on several things that could have dramatically helped sales. While I don't pretend to know everything that has gone on in the board room, I have enough experience in that industry and enough experience in executive management to be able to see a few things they failed at. I happen to not believe that the product quality/physical feature set is one of them.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:07 PM
    I am guessing you are not old enough to get the Palm reference. The market does not want a keyboard phone...period. They want a full screen, multi use (music, media, etc) all-in-one device. That is not what BlackBerry does (Google Z10 sales). Again, the market changes (Google Palm). The old BB is not coming back...at least not anytime soon.

Unfortunately, your personal wishes, making a product that competes with Android/Apple... and a phone like the 9900 can't coexist. That's my opinion and most peoples here.

Right now, I will be happy if they just make it through the week.

Hmm, now you're blaming the company"s demise and the products failure on market entry execution. Wow. I guess you can have that opinion.

But ok, I think it's dillusuonal to blame the failure and product miss on market entry executional mistakes -- that's a mouthful -- but you are free to have that opinion. It's a way out opinion and flies against

11-02-13 03:08 PM
    I am guessing you are not old enough to get the Palm reference. The market does not want a keyboard phone...period. They want a full screen, multi use (music, media, etc) all-in-one device. That is not what BlackBerry does (Google Z10 sales). Again, the market changes (Google Palm). The old BB is not coming back...at least not anytime soon.

Unfortunately, your personal wishes, making a product that competes with Android/Apple... and a phone like the 9900 can't coexist. That's my opinion and most peoples here.

Right now, I will be happy if they just make it through the week.
    This is a good point. Also, things get a little more complicated when you break down sub markets. Sales as a whole are not a viable metric until you can somehow quantify your submarket. A few truths remain pertinent, as even at this level producing the best product for your niche market doesn't guarantee success. This is a more complicated business model than a standard consumer product. You don't just put it on a shelf and advertise. It's effectively a certified dealer network business model that is highly dependent on co-op dollars and dealer incentives, among many other things to ensure sales are realized. It is nowhere near straightforward and makes it significantly more difficult to overtake marketshare from market leaders, even more so than a standard retail product.
    Here's one example of a factor effecting sales over and above product quality: Walk into a BestBuy store and see how prominently HP products are displayed. Locally for me, this is especially apparent in printers. HP products in general are often arguably lower quality than it's competitors at similar price points. Regularly lower rated by consumers and independent tests. Yet, they dominate sales at Best Buy. Sales people push the product and advertising showcases it. They have pumped Best Buy with co-op dollars, and their sales reflect a return on that strategy.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:22 PM
    That's not an opinion. That's fact. The term market execution is all encompassing. It includes marketing, products, co-operative advertising, channel partnerships, strategic partnerships, pricing, etc. A failure for a successful product launch (BB10) is by definition, a failure in market execution. Again, you can have the best product in the world, but if you fail to bring it to market effectively it isn't going to sell. Blackberry failed on several things that could have dramatically helped sales. While I don't pretend to know everything that has gone on in the board room, I have enough experience in that industry and enough experience in executive management to be able to see a few things they failed at. I happen to not believe that the product quality/physical feature set is one of them.

Posted via CB10
    So, you think the market is stupid and I think the upscale smartphone is very sophisticated.

If they built a device which appealed to both core BBY users and had better features and functionality than Apple/iPhone, people would be buying it. Frankly, if it did everything Apple and Iphone did, and did it better, people would be buying. They are not.

I respect Waterfront's opinion that there isn't a market for this combination of feature sets. Well, there's an even smaller market for a device that has limited appeal even among core BBY users, and is turning off corporate accounts in droves.

At this point, we are stuck with this device. I'm just frustrated when people pretend that there are so many things that are so much better on this device and fail to acknowledge how many things are missing or worse. Each of us has to weigh that combination to determine what it all means to them.
    11-02-13 03:24 PM
    I don't recall saying the market is "stupid" just that the argument of sales being an accurate indicator of product quality is flat out wrong. If that were the case there would be no iPhone today, as the first iteration of the iPhone was so far behind it's contemporaries in feature set as to be laughable. But it was expertly marketed, and we know how that story plays out to date.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:31 PM
    I don't know how ur defining product quality, but I am confident that if this phone had what ppl wanted, sales would be strong.

End of story. (BTW, BBY has/had a very strong distribution base and we'll compensates it's distribution channels...dealers would love to sell more Blackberries. Apple stiffs it's distribution, but it is a must carry product because pppl want it.)

But, BBY can't out iPhone Apple or out Galaxy Samsung. And it fails to appeal broadly to BBY users. So what's left is an irrelevant and declining audience.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 03:44 PM
    I don't recall saying the market is "stupid"

Posted via CB10
    That is in effect what you are saying, whether you use that language or not. I think customers are smart. And we'er not talking about a few customers. We're talking about a massive market swing.

Listen, if this device is having this hard a time appealing to me, and I am a die hard BBY fan/Crackberryite, it's missing hordes of others that aren't as dedicated, don't and won't spend as much time and money adapting, aren't as committed to a hard keyboard, etc. Hordes upon hordes. Everyone I knew had a Blackberry.from Wall Street to Main Street. Now I don't know anyone with a Q10. My brother has a Z30 and hates it. That's the only person I know with a Z30. At my last board meeting, there wasn't a single person with a Blackberry among all the board members, company management, and PE support staff. This is a billion dollar company and a major PE firm where everyone used to have a Blackberry. Now not a BBY devcie to be found.

Some were using iPhones. Some were using iPads. And some were using Galaxies. Most were using iPhones. They all made phone fo me spending more money on a Blackberry.

This is not a stupid audience. These ppl all were BBY customers. They have oodles of money and would switch in a heartbeat back to BBY if they discerned that the Q10 was preferable. They make their own individual decisions as to what product to get/carry. Even company management can decide which device to use/carry.

Customers have spoken. It's not that BBY hasn't been able to reach or speak to customers.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 04:00 PM
    I used the short-press app shortcuts all the time, but the only speed dial I used was voicemail. I don't know why you couldn't have the long press of a button invoke any action at all: launch an app, toggle sound profile, toggle a setting (e.g. airplane mode or hotspot), dial a number, send a text or a bbm to a specific contact.

Better yet, they should just make an API that allows apps to trap long-press events, and then developers can do whatever they want.

Posted via CB10
    Because long press already has a function associated to it. Press for a letter, short long press for a capital letter, long long press for special characters.

If they do update and include long press speed dial from home screen, then I truly hope they make it an optional toggle of sorts in the settings. I'm sure there are some people out there such as myself that use Universal Search and special characters way more often than we make calls. I would prefer keeping this functionality as is, but I do hope that everyone gets what they want eventually, simple as that.
    Anonymous2039 likes this.
    11-02-13 04:30 PM
    Finally some common sense on this thread.

Because long press already has a function associated to it. Press for a letter, short long press for a capital letter, long long press for special characters.

If they do update and include long press speed dial from home screen, then I truly hope they make it an optional toggle of sorts in the settings. I'm sure there are some people out there such as myself that use Universal Search and special characters way more often than we make calls. I would prefer keeping this functionality as is, but I do hope that everyone gets what they want eventually, simple as that.

Posted via CB10
    Anonymous2039 likes this.
    11-02-13 05:38 PM
402 ... 910111213 ...