Is there not an app you can buy to add this? It seems to me if it is as simple as some of you are saying, a developer would have something out fast while they can (before it's officially added via update). That has always been the pattern when BB missed an important feature.

Is there an app in BB World that can do this?
    I haven't looked, but I do hope this is the case, but I'm waiting until headless apps are supported because I would like something like this to work in the background, and not have to have an active frame open for it to work. I also would like it to automatically load on startup so I never have to even think about it... It just works like it did before.
    11-01-13 11:39 AM
    theres an awesome app called speed dial....that will give you what you want.
    I'll look into it once headless apps are around, and if they have their app updated to work headless and on startup, I'll definitely be getting it. Thanks.
    11-01-13 11:40 AM
    I like this app -- which enables you to add speed dial icons for individual contacts to your home screen -- but keep in mind that home screen real estate is limited to 12 icons...not the same as a hard key shortcut.
    Oh, is that what that does? No thanks then. The whole point is for it to NOT REQUIRE the use of the screen...
    11-01-13 11:51 AM
    Go back to a feature phone then.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, because if you're a blind fanboy ignoring everything that could be improved, that means you should only use dumb phones... *smh*
    11-01-13 11:52 AM
    This is the reason why I bought the Q10. Coming from the Z10 I realized how hard to make a call from a full touch screen phone but to my dismay the speed dial from home screen doesn't work.

For me this is important than instagram or any other big names app.

Do something about it!

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    11-01-13 11:54 AM
    Here is a little dose of reality. I can see how this feature would be good. I used it on BBOS. I miss it, but I looked at the Speed Dial app, and while it is a step closer...it isn't worth the space for me.

But if this feature is that important AND that easy to implement, then there is an app already out there so just go get it. If it's not out there, then there is not enough of a demand or it's harder to implement than you think. #truth #done #waitforit
    Wait a minute, are we on twitter?? *looks around*
    11-01-13 11:56 AM
    Why are you arguing with Chad? I just gave you the facts and you ignored them. See my post above.

Posted via CB10
    #his #name #is #chaz #just #saying
    11-01-13 11:56 AM
    Now that's just silly.

Why is it wrong to want everything that was great with BBOS and everything new that came with BB10? Isn't that progress? Does going to a "new" OS mean going back to scratch and ignoring what worked before? That's a recipe for failure. Why not do something that has been proven time and again to be successful: build upon past successes and make improvements? Most products develop that way -- in a linear, evolutionary way. BB10, on the other hand, seems to be going in a circular way with fanboys trying to argue that with a new OS comes a "re-do".
    Seems simple to logical people like us, but apparently the fanboys disagree...
    11-01-13 11:58 AM
    While the OP's post is specific to the Q10, It boggles my mind that they can't do the same for the Z10.

A two finger swipe on the home screen brings up the keyboard. (Actually a two finger swipe brings up the keyboard from ANY screen) So why wouldn't we be able to long press a key on the keyboard and have it speed dial a contact?
    Sounds like a good idea to me. If you haven't registered with the beta zone, you should do so, and register your BB10 device, and sign up for the BB10 program. Post your suggestions in the discussion board for feature request. And check out my old thread for this so we can help each other promote our ideas: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-read-822547/

And yes, here comes the fanboys that will tell you that some other alternative that's slower than what you said is "good enough" and you shouldn't need more than that...
    11-01-13 12:01 PM
    The Speed Dial app from Toysoft is $1.99 (plus 12 cents tax) works like this:

(1) you swipe to your saved contact's icon on one of the home screens, then

(2) tap the icon for the contact you want to dial, then

(3) you are presented with a box that says "start to call xxx-xxx-xxxx?", then

(4) tap OK.
    Wow, that's so much better than simply holding one button...
    11-01-13 12:04 PM
    One of my peeves as well...don't even get me started on the lack of different sound profiles and ability to vibrate/not depending on whether it's in or out of the holster.

While I've learned to tolerate my Q10, it really took me a while to readjust which you would think wouldn't be the case when moving from BlackBerry to BlackBerry. Didn't have this issue when went from 9000 to 9780.

I realize I'm ranting, but would have been nice to have kept the good things and only included improvements. Sometimes seemed like they took some steps back.

Posted via CB10
    YEP!! I also wish we had that back, and I've brought that up in the beta zone as well. If you haven't signed up for the beta zone yet, please do so, look above for the steps in doing so, and make sure to visit my other thread about this so we can all help promote each other's posts: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-read-822547/
    11-01-13 12:05 PM
    No, that's not the argument. No one on these forums has ever said that. The argument is, stop being obnoxiously over the top with the way you state your criticism. Here's what has come to be known as the "Soxfan Protocol".

1. Identify a BBOS feature that is implemented on the Q10 in a way that isn't precisely the way you want it. (example: speed dialing requires you to hit the phone icon first rather than just hitting the button right on your home screen)

2. DO NOT say something like, "I really like this feature, but I thought it was implemented better in OS7. Instead flatly state that the feature is misiing, then go on for numerous paragraphs with vague references to all the "missing features." Be sure to claim that the monumental drop in BlackBerry market share, which occured before the Q10 was ever released, is 100% attributable to the "missing" features.

3. Do this dozens of times in every single thread, then also comment about how much space is being used up in the threads with complaints like yours.

4. As soon as anyone points out that you are mischaracterizing things by calling an existing feature as "missing," suggests that they don't have a problem with its implementation, or points out that you are, in fact the one clogging up the forums with complaint, call them a fanboy (use of the term "fanboy" is mandatory) and accuse them of "blindly accepting" the phone despite its "missing features."

5. After you have personally attacked someone in the above step, when they or someone else express frustration toward you as the inevitable result, report them to the moderators, and be sure to post your own whiny reply about how your merely trying to point out your personal observations and you don't know why everyone is so intolerant.

6. Rinse. Repeat. Ad nauseum. It is important to do this in every. single. thread.

How about you try, for maybe 48 hours or so, not misstating things like claiming a feature that isn't just the way you want it is "missing" or acting like there are hundreds of such features instead of a dozen or so, and see if maybe people on this forum are less critical of the way you participate? You may be surprised.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, the criticism has been directed at pretty much anyone who agrees that there are features they wish BB10 had, not just soxfan, so this whole strawman argument doesn't work. Maybe YOU might not be making that argument, but yes, there are plenty of responses here that point to the fact that if you dislike any feature or any lack of feature you should just switch to using dumbphones or to another platform... If you want to ignore all of those posts in order to insult another member of these boards (against forum policy isn't that?), then fine, I am not your daddy, do as you please, but don't use that as an argument against my statement.
    11-01-13 12:09 PM
    With 10.2 I lost the ability to touch the phone or the camera and make calls/take photos from any screen. It's stupid to go to the camera icon when the other camera launcher is right there! Someone help! How do I revert back to 10.1 and then try reinstalling?
    Yes, there should be a way to reinstall the OS using Link, or to revert to a previous version. I'm sure that's not some new 10.2 feature to not be able to use the icons, lol. It's a bug, make sure you back everything up.
    11-01-13 12:11 PM
    when you say sound profiles are you talking about different ringtones or different notification options? because there are more ringtone options, they are just hidden in different places for some reason.
    He's talking about how in BB OS7, you were not limited to just normal, phone calls only, vibrate only, silent, or all alerts off. We also had things like loud, or quiet, and things like that. I personally didn't use those other profiles, but I can see how some people found them useful, and I agree, the more options and more features the better, so I fully support bringing those back even though they are not important to me. The holster mode thing I definitely would like to see back. I only want my phone to vibrate while in holster, not while it's out, and this was a feature from OS7 that we don't have in BB10. If my phone is sitting on the desk in front of me, I don't need it to vibrate everything off the table... Ok, I'm exaggerating, but the vibrate in the Q10 is pretty strong, which is a great thing while in holster because I never miss notifications like I did before when the vibrate was a little softer. Before sometimes I wouldn't notice it. But while it's on a table, that strong vibration is kind of annoying... Just the notification tone is fine for those times that my phone is out of the holster.
    11-01-13 12:16 PM
    Nothing get's a big companies attention more than being called out on their Twitter account in front of all their followers. They have already said this feature is coming. What more do you want? You sound frustrated.
    They did, but how do you know this "improvement" in 10.2 is not the "fix" they were promising?? Did they say recently that they will fix it beyond what they did for 10.2?? Please let me know, because I don't use twitter, I'll stay quiet for another few months to wait for this if they said that... ;-)
    11-01-13 12:18 PM
    Nice! Does calling me names somehow make you feel like you are "right"? Big difference between being a fanboy and using common sense. I might be a fanboy. I have been on here for a lot longer than you have so, maybe common sense doesn't apply if you haven't been around to keep up with the history of the company.

But like I said earlier, you sound frustrated because of an unrealistic expectation. It's already been announced this feature is coming...and that has been pointed out over and over.
    Yes, because this disproves anything. Because they fixed obvious problems, they don't need to include the good features. Great argument there... Enjoy being a blind fanboy.
    11-01-13 12:23 PM
    The is more than one version of 10.2. Stay turned. I believe they specifically said one touch speed dialing from the homescreen is coming in 10.2. But that is just my memory.

They did, but how do you know this "improvement" in 10.2 is not the "fix" they were promising?? Did they say recently that they will fix it beyond what they did for 10.2?? Please let me know, because I don't use twitter, I'll stay quiet for another few months to wait for this if they said that... ;-)
    slagman5 likes this.
    11-01-13 12:25 PM
    Let's keep things in context. The same features aren't important to everyone. Not everyone cares about one touch speed dial. Calling people "fanboys" because they care less about the omission of a feature than you do is ridiculous and petty. Just because someone else doesn't find it to be a daunting task to have to hit the phone icon before using speed dial, and doesn't subscribe to your "how dare they fail this hard" attitude over something they find to be trivial, doesn't mean you should discount their positive experiences. I don't use speed dial. Didn't use it on any previous devices, and don't use it now. Therefore, one touch speed dial wasn't a deciding factor when I made the decision to purchase the Q10. Others might use speed dial, but not feel that the way it is currently implemented is so bad. If these people feel this way they are likely going to have contrasting opinions when you go on a rant about how the way speed dial was implemented is a clear indication of Blackberry failing to offer what the market wants. This shouldn't be surprising and isn't a good reason for childish name calling in a weak attempt to discount someone else's opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted via CB10
    I understand this thread has gone on for many many pages, so I won't knock you for not reading through all of them, but if you want to keep things in context, you should have acknowledged that maybe you just didn't notice the times where this happened, but there are plenty of people who have replied that they themselves don't care much for the one-button speed dial, or that they simply didn't use it that much, and at the same time, I AGREED with their comment as a whole since they didn't simply tell me that if I didn't like it, I should go to a different platform, or tried the stupid argument that if I wanted features from legacy phones that means I want all of the negatives about them too. The people I'm calling fanboys it's not for disagreeing with me, but for making those kinds of arguments. The posts I have agreed with who didn't consider the speed dial issue as important acknowledged that it would have been a good thing for BB to include the features that were good in legacy devices and have provided good input in the features they also would like to see implemented. I don't need everyone to need this feature, I don't think I ever said that this wasn't a feature that *I* really valued, the point is, we need to stop giving excuses for BB and need to actually speak up if we feel they are lacking a feature we desire. I really like the Q10, but in terms of customizability it's a step backward from the 9900 I had before this. I was able to fine-tune everything about that phone. Individual volumes for each individual notification, profiles for in-holster or our of holster, a keyboard full of speed dials, etc. etc. I really felt like it was *MY* phone, meaning even if 10 other people in the room had the same make and model phone, none of them were like mine. I love that feeling of being an individual. With the Q10, there's only so much that can be customized about it. It's still better than an iphone, but I'm just not completely satisfied with that...
    11-01-13 12:28 PM
    Nice! Does calling me names somehow make you feel like you are "right"? Big difference between being a fanboy and using common sense. I might be a fanboy. I have been on here for a lot longer than you have so, maybe common sense doesn't apply if you haven't been around to keep up with the history of the company.

But like I said earlier, you sound frustrated because of an unrealistic expectation. It's already been announced this feature is coming...and that has been pointed out over and over.
    No, common sense is knowing that listing the short-comings of legacy devices does absolutely nothing to disprove the notion that we should have all of the good features of them AND the benefits of the improved new phones... That's common sense buddy. For you to promote that person's ridiculous argument of "if you want the good features of legacy devices that means you must want all of the shortcomings too" is the exact opposite of common sense.
    11-01-13 12:31 PM
    The is more than one version of 10.2. Stay turned. I believe they specifically said one touch speed dialing from the homescreen is coming in 10.2. But that is just my memory.
    I freakin' hope so man...
    11-01-13 12:32 PM
    Press the phone icon first.

Posted via CB10
    Why? Why can I dial from home screen but not use sortcuts? Why?
    11-01-13 01:10 PM
    You make that triangle button look awfully tempting. Let me give you an easy example of why this thread exist. If you walk into, say a McDonald's, during lunch, and 70% of their staff is gone....chances are it will take longer than longer than usual. Most people here are happy BB is still in business. I don't think anyone here is against them adding features. It's just that common sense tells most of us we are going to have to be patient.

No, common sense is knowing that listing the short-comings of legacy devices does absolutely nothing to disprove the notion that we should have all of the good features of them AND the benefits of the improved new phones... That's common sense buddy. For you to promote that person's ridiculous argument of "if you want the good features of legacy devices that means you must want all of the shortcomings too" is the exact opposite of common sense.
    11-01-13 01:49 PM
    You make that triangle button look awfully tempting. Let me give you an easy example of why this thread exist. If you walk into, say a McDonald's, during lunch, and 70% of their staff is gone....chances are it will take longer than longer than usual. Most people here are happy BB is still in business. I don't think anyone here is against them adding features. It's just that common sense tells most of us we are going to have to be patient.
    LMAO, report me for what? Pointing out the folly in supporting someone's flawed argument? If anything, that was to help you out because that does nothing for the credibility of your argument... Notice when you actually raise a real argument I've liked and agreed to those?
    11-01-13 02:07 PM
    That or maybe she/he is trying to get banned?

Seriously?

Are you spamming the thread just to increase your post count?

You were doing fine speaking your opinion, and then dropped down to troll level, congradulations.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by waterfrontmgmt; 11-01-13 at 02:47 PM.
    11-01-13 02:34 PM
    Wow, that's so much better than simply holding one button...
    No, it's not even close. And this is among the most advanced speed dial apps out there. Just goes to show how far BBY missed the boat. Very hard to understand.
    11-01-13 08:32 PM
402 ... 7891011 ...