You want feature parity with BBOS 6 & 7?

- Memory leaks?
    - Text based apps with no common UI?
    - J2ME apps?
    - battery pulls?
    - freezing/lockups without hourglass (9810/990 especially)?
    - endless menu button lists?
    - hamfisted touch paradigm applied to physical input based UI?
    - Poor 3G data performance?
    - 8 minute boot times?
    - waiting for MORE when reading long emails?
    - low resolution displays?
    - "Battery too low for radio use"?
    Now that's just silly.

Why is it wrong to want everything that was great with BBOS and everything new that came with BB10? Isn't that progress? Does going to a "new" OS mean going back to scratch and ignoring what worked before? That's a recipe for failure. Why not do something that has been proven time and again to be successful: build upon past successes and make improvements? Most products develop that way -- in a linear, evolutionary way. BB10, on the other hand, seems to be going in a circular way with fanboys trying to argue that with a new OS comes a "re-do".
    SoxFan and slagman5 like this.
    10-31-13 06:15 PM
    While the OP's post is specific to the Q10, It boggles my mind that they can't do the same for the Z10.

A two finger swipe on the home screen brings up the keyboard. (Actually a two finger swipe brings up the keyboard from ANY screen) So why wouldn't we be able to long press a key on the keyboard and have it speed dial a contact?
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 06:23 PM
    While the OP's post is specific to the Q10, It boggles my mind that they can't do the same for the Z10.

A two finger swipe on the home screen brings up the keyboard. (Actually a two finger swipe brings up the keyboard from ANY screen) So why wouldn't we be able to long press a key on the keyboard and have it speed dial a contact?
    Download an application that allows you to add a contact to your homescreen. Problem solved. (Search for "speed dial" on BlackBerry World.)

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 06:34 PM
    Now that's just silly.

Why is it wrong to want everything that was great with BBOS and everything new that came with BB10? Isn't that progress? Does going to a "new" OS mean going back to scratch and ignoring what worked before? That's a recipe for failure. Why not do something that has been proven time and again to be successful: build upon past successes and make improvements? Most products develop that way -- in a linear, evolutionary way. BB10, on the other hand, seems to be going in a circular way with fanboys trying to argue that with a new OS comes a "re-do".
    It does seem silly that BlackBerry appear to be throwing away all that is good with BBOS.

I agree with you that BlackBerry need to build on what works and improve upon it. That's logical.
    slagman5 and anon(5828343) like this.
    10-31-13 06:38 PM
    Download an application that allows you to add a contact to your homescreen. Problem solved. (Search for "speed dial" on BlackBerry World.)

Posted via CB10
    Good point. However, on the keyboard, I can have at least 24 speed dials. (26 minus the voicemail key, and minus the "A" key for lockscreen).

If I use an app to add a contact to the homescreen, how many pages of these "speed dials" would I have? Would defeat the purpose. In addition, (correct me if I'm wrong) those apps are usually a two step process, as there is a confirmation screen asking if you want to make a call.

I appreciate your response though. Definitely would work for someone that only needs a few speed dials.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by lifesupport; 10-31-13 at 06:57 PM.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 06:42 PM
    Now that's just silly.

Well put. Seems pretty self evident to most of us.
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    10-31-13 08:13 PM
    Agreed with OP..this shouldve been included in 10.1
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 08:16 PM
    I used to love how quick I could navigate with my BlackBerry tour
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 08:16 PM
    In addition, (correct me if I'm wrong) those apps are usually a two step process, as there is a confirmation screen asking if you want to make a call.
    Thanks for your input.
    The Speed Dial app from Toysoft is $1.99 (plus 12 cents tax) works like this:

(1) you swipe to your saved contact's icon on one of the home screens, then

(2) tap the icon for the contact you want to dial, then

(3) you are presented with a box that says "start to call xxx-xxx-xxxx?", then

(4) tap OK.
    10-31-13 08:24 PM
    One of my peeves as well...don't even get me started on the lack of different sound profiles and ability to vibrate/not depending on whether it's in or out of the holster.

While I've learned to tolerate my Q10, it really took me a while to readjust which you would think wouldn't be the case when moving from BlackBerry to BlackBerry. Didn't have this issue when went from 9000 to 9780.

I realize I'm ranting, but would have been nice to have kept the good things and only included improvements. Sometimes seemed like they took some steps back.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 08:55 PM
    Or use the native version and tap the lower corner of the phone (phone app) then long press the speed dial numer. The benefit of the Speed Dial app is you can store a lot more numbers, but seems like you have more than two swipes so it's slower.

The Speed Dial app from Toysoft is $1.99 (plus 12 cents tax) works like this:

(1) you swipe to your saved contact's icon on one of the home screens, then

(2) tap the icon for the contact you want to dial, then

(3) you are presented with a box that says "start to call xxx-xxx-xxxx?", then

(4) tap OK.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:58 PM
    So basically the argument is that if you like the phone (and I do) you can't have ANY complaints about it? This is called fanboyism. I actually do really like the Q10 and will never switch to a touchscreen only phone as long as this option is here, but that doesn't mean I need to blindly accept every feature or lack of feature and consider it a perfect phone.
    No, that's not the argument. No one on these forums has ever said that. The argument is, stop being obnoxiously over the top with the way you state your criticism. Here's what has come to be known as the "Soxfan Protocol".

1. Identify a BBOS feature that is implemented on the Q10 in a way that isn't precisely the way you want it. (example: speed dialing requires you to hit the phone icon first rather than just hitting the button right on your home screen)

2. DO NOT say something like, "I really like this feature, but I thought it was implemented better in OS7. Instead flatly state that the feature is misiing, then go on for numerous paragraphs with vague references to all the "missing features." Be sure to claim that the monumental drop in BlackBerry market share, which occured before the Q10 was ever released, is 100% attributable to the "missing" features.

3. Do this dozens of times in every single thread, then also comment about how much space is being used up in the threads with complaints like yours.

4. As soon as anyone points out that you are mischaracterizing things by calling an existing feature as "missing," suggests that they don't have a problem with its implementation, or points out that you are, in fact the one clogging up the forums with complaint, call them a fanboy (use of the term "fanboy" is mandatory) and accuse them of "blindly accepting" the phone despite its "missing features."

5. After you have personally attacked someone in the above step, when they or someone else express frustration toward you as the inevitable result, report them to the moderators, and be sure to post your own whiny reply about how your merely trying to point out your personal observations and you don't know why everyone is so intolerant.

6. Rinse. Repeat. Ad nauseum. It is important to do this in every. single. thread.

How about you try, for maybe 48 hours or so, not misstating things like claiming a feature that isn't just the way you want it is "missing" or acting like there are hundreds of such features instead of a dozen or so, and see if maybe people on this forum are less critical of the way you participate? You may be surprised.

Posted via CB10
    Dr.Deebs and Danny Ocean like this.
    10-31-13 09:52 PM
    woofhaven, thank you. Now you're the hero. That was a perfect summary of SoxFan's behaviour.

I'm going to post this verbatim whenever the issue comes up again. And nice name: SoxFan Protocol. He follows it to a tee every time.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by chaz95; 10-31-13 at 11:47 PM.
    10-31-13 11:29 PM
    With 10.2 I lost the ability to touch the phone or the camera and make calls/take photos from any screen. It's stupid to go to the camera icon when the other camera launcher is right there! Someone help! How do I revert back to 10.1 and then try reinstalling?
    11-01-13 08:33 AM
    Contact your carrier and trouble shoot it or get a new replacement phone. That's a bug.
    11-01-13 09:27 AM
    when you say sound profiles are you talking about different ringtones or different notification options? because there are more ringtone options, they are just hidden in different places for some reason.

One of my peeves as well...don't even get me started on the lack of different sound profiles and ability to vibrate/not depending on whether it's in or out of the holster.

While I've learned to tolerate my Q10, it really took me a while to readjust which you would think wouldn't be the case when moving from BlackBerry to BlackBerry. Didn't have this issue when went from 9000 to 9780.

I realize I'm ranting, but would have been nice to have kept the good things and only included improvements. Sometimes seemed like they took some steps back.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 09:32 AM
    No, the argument is that ranting doesn't help. Sure, state your complaints, but at some point, enough is enough. I never said to "blindly accept every feature or lack of feature and consider it a perfect phone", I said to find solutions. Making your complaint known is one of them, but complaining to the point of exhaustion is not.

Nobody said anything is being neglected. It's just that the more important features come first, obviously. Further enhancements to the phone are continually underway, and I can guarantee that BlackBerry is aware of the complaints people like you have. You don't paint the lines on the road until the sewer system is installed and the road is built.

Posted via CB10
    Um, I take it you missed the multiple times I have stated that I've brought this issue up at the beta zone, their facebook page, AND here right? The reason why I feel the need to bring it up here is that we need MORE people being vocal about this in the beta zone, their twitter, or their facebook. I know you haven't been since you're so quick to make up excuses for BB that even they don't claim... And that's exactly the problem. From what I'm seeing here, a lot of you are like that and will NEVER speak up on things that should be improved.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    11-01-13 11:01 AM
    Nothing get's a big companies attention more than being called out on their Twitter account in front of all their followers. They have already said this feature is coming. What more do you want? You sound frustrated.

Um, I take it you missed the multiple times I have stated that I've brought this issue up at the beta zone, their facebook page, AND here right? The reason why I feel the need to bring it up here is that we need MORE people being vocal about this in the beta zone, their twitter, or their facebook. I know you haven't been since you're so quick to make up excuses for BB that even they don't claim... And that's exactly the problem. From what I'm seeing here, a lot of you are like that and will NEVER speak up on things that should be improved.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Last edited by waterfrontmgmt; 11-01-13 at 11:17 AM.
    11-01-13 11:06 AM
    Hahaha, I momentarily thought that this was true!
    But folks, when Kevin, under the pressure of CB Nation, wrote a plea piece about this, I thought someone from BBRY, somehow and somewhere, said it's coming, and perhaps in 10.2.
    Of course it's BBRY, you have a full confidence and trust in whatever they say. You'd better believe BBRY!
    But you know, it's just one of those "little moments of delight", nothing important, certainly not a glaring omission or anything like that.
    It's not even a part of the "mobile computing", so BBRY is simply weighing on "strategic alternatives".
    It will come soon and leap frog the competition.
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Meantime, my 9900 just serves me splendidly, thank you very much.
    Yes, I remember that, and if you got through the forums for older posts about the one-button speed dial, you'll see ME in there telling everyone that it's coming, so "don't worry." The reason for this change of tone now is the fact that if you look at the update list for 10.2, the "improved speed dial" is simply that now you "only" have to go into the phone app first before you long press while before you had to go into the phone app, THEN go into the dial pad, THEN long press. So yes, it is an improvement over that first ******** procedure, but it's still a step behind what we had in our old legacy "out of date" phones. I have a very bad feeling that this is the "fix" they've been promising. At this point, I'll believe that it's coming when I see it in black and white...
    11-01-13 11:18 AM
    It's of benefit to people like me who are considering jumping to a Q10, and looking to hear the experiences of those who have done so. It was a favorite feature of mine on OS 6, but to be fair, even Android dropped it when Jelly Bean (or maybe it was ICS) came out. It's also not available on my current phone, running Windows. Strange. I liked being able to do it by feel rather than have to whip out my glasses to see what I'm doing (and as others have said, I'm not fond of voice dialing, partly because it looks stupid but even more so because voice recognition doesn't always work, especially in noisy environments.)

So far, I'm not seeing enough compelling reasons to go back to Blackberry, despite waiting well over a year from my contract expiration for the Q10 to become available on Sprint. As Slagman said, there needs to be some compensating benefits for going to a smaller screen and fewer apps (and yes, Windows is short on apps too, but at least I can get eWallet without using a side-loaded version that people have reported as not being fully functional.)
    As a phone, the Q10 is still much better than its competition. But if it's missing an app you NEED that another phone has, then definitely yes, that's a legitimate reason to stick to that. But while I'm complaining about the lack of this great one-button speed dialing feature, I'm not saying the phone is "bad" in any way. It's actually a very good phone, I still get most things done just as quick or quicker than my friends with their Androids and iPhones. But again, I don't want to have a phone that is just "good enough," I want one that is the best damn phone it can possibly be, so having all of these great features we had before is essential in accomplishing that.
    11-01-13 11:22 AM
    Paging Dr Sox!
    Yes, because this disproves anything. Because they fixed obvious problems, they don't need to include the good features. Great argument there... Enjoy being a blind fanboy.
    11-01-13 11:23 AM
    One of the first video 's Kevin did about the Q10 was the inability to dial from the home screen, you would have thought the would have thrown up a flag at BlackBerry, but maybe they have bigger things to worry about. There are a lot of things missing on this OS that were on the old that were quite helpful, don't get me wrong, I want speed dialing to, but I would like to be able to turn off my phone and have it power up by using the alarm settimg or power on off like on the old OS.

Posted on my BlackBerry Q10, because I'm so Bloody Special.
    Then you need to speak up, go register in the beta zone, register that you own a BB10 product, sign up for the BB10 program, and post in the discussions about the features you want to see.

I also have this old thread where I wanted everyone on these boards who have issues in beta zone to post on here so we all can like each others' posts and comment on them so they see they are getting attention:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-read-822547/
    11-01-13 11:30 AM
    I disagree.
    Good for you, how does those fanboy blinders fit you? Too snug? Or just right?
    11-01-13 11:32 AM
    Let's keep things in context. The same features aren't important to everyone. Not everyone cares about one touch speed dial. Calling people "fanboys" because they care less about the omission of a feature than you do is ridiculous and petty. Just because someone else doesn't find it to be a daunting task to have to hit the phone icon before using speed dial, and doesn't subscribe to your "how dare they fail this hard" attitude over something they find to be trivial, doesn't mean you should discount their positive experiences. I don't use speed dial. Didn't use it on any previous devices, and don't use it now. Therefore, one touch speed dial wasn't a deciding factor when I made the decision to purchase the Q10. Others might use speed dial, but not feel that the way it is currently implemented is so bad. If these people feel this way they are likely going to have contrasting opinions when you go on a rant about how the way speed dial was implemented is a clear indication of Blackberry failing to offer what the market wants. This shouldn't be surprising and isn't a good reason for childish name calling in a weak attempt to discount someone else's opinion. Different strokes for different folks.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 11:33 AM
    I haven't experienced very many bugs. Explain.

Posted via CB10
    I kind of agree with you, it's a fairly polished OS, except a FEW things. One big thing is how if you set up your facebook, and you select to allow notifications, if you choose not to sync the messages, NOTHING will show up in the hub, not even the notifications... Choose to sync the messages, and now EVERYTHING shows up in your hub, messages and notifications...

Also, this isn't a bug, but a stupid design choice that also needs to be fixed (I posted this issue in beta zone as well) is when you get a voicemail, it'll notify you that you have a missed call and a voicemail. Saying yes to see this will bring you to the phone app with the list of missed calls and the voicemail. If you touch the voicemail from there, what do you expect it to do? I expect it to play back the voicemail, sounds logical right? It has the voicemail icon next to it, and it's separate from the missed call item. But no, it calls that contact back... Seriously??? You have to exit what the phone brings you to, manually go into the hub, and touch the voicemail from there to hear it instead...

But anyway, regarding bugs, I haven't been fighting with my phone too much, perhaps he got into it in the beginning before 10.1. From what I've heard, there were some bugs in the original release. But that's somewhat expected...
    11-01-13 11:38 AM
402 ... 678910 ...