my guess is now that 10.2 is starting to roll out, we'll see some new leaks with this in it. it obviously wasn't ready for the first official build...but we all know it's coming. ranting won't speed it up. considering how their entire staff was slashed to the bone, i think BB10 is moving at a RAPID pace. color me crazy.
    10-30-13 02:18 PM
    ^ ^ ^
    I am SO tired of this argument! Changing to a new OS should not mean that BB forgets everything they learned from development of the old OS. Technology development is incremental (except with BB, it seems).
    10-30-13 02:19 PM
    sometimes I think the 9900 is the newer model, not the Q10...
    Hahaha, I momentarily thought that this was true!
    But folks, when Kevin, under the pressure of CB Nation, wrote a plea piece about this, I thought someone from BBRY, somehow and somewhere, said it's coming, and perhaps in 10.2.
    Of course it's BBRY, you have a full confidence and trust in whatever they say. You'd better believe BBRY!
    But you know, it's just one of those "little moments of delight", nothing important, certainly not a glaring omission or anything like that.
    It's not even a part of the "mobile computing", so BBRY is simply weighing on "strategic alternatives".
    It will come soon and leap frog the competition.
    Don't worry, be happy!
    Meantime, my 9900 just serves me splendidly, thank you very much.
    anon(4077577) likes this.
    10-30-13 02:22 PM
    I don't get why the same 4 people keep posting on these forums in different threads complaining about the same issues over and over, trying to convince people that love their Q10, that they are wrong? What are they hoping to accomplish? The people that have figured out all the features the Q10 has that work for them, are not going to read your complaints and change their mind.
    It's of benefit to people like me who are considering jumping to a Q10, and looking to hear the experiences of those who have done so. It was a favorite feature of mine on OS 6, but to be fair, even Android dropped it when Jelly Bean (or maybe it was ICS) came out. It's also not available on my current phone, running Windows. Strange. I liked being able to do it by feel rather than have to whip out my glasses to see what I'm doing (and as others have said, I'm not fond of voice dialing, partly because it looks stupid but even more so because voice recognition doesn't always work, especially in noisy environments.)

So far, I'm not seeing enough compelling reasons to go back to Blackberry, despite waiting well over a year from my contract expiration for the Q10 to become available on Sprint. As Slagman said, there needs to be some compensating benefits for going to a smaller screen and fewer apps (and yes, Windows is short on apps too, but at least I can get eWallet without using a side-loaded version that people have reported as not being fully functional.)
    10-30-13 02:55 PM
    people that are happy about something tend not to post about it. people not happy tent to rant constantly. that is certainly the case here. it always has been. you want to hear experiences? check out the reviews from the leaders on here. they all use multiple platforms, but they also take the time to learn how to use the new OS.

It's of benefit to people like me who are considering jumping to a Q10, and looking to hear the experiences of those who have done so.
    10-30-13 03:03 PM
    It's of benefit to people like me who are considering jumping to a Q10, and looking to hear the experiences of those who have done so. It was a favorite feature of mine on OS 6, but to be fair, even Android dropped it when Jelly Bean (or maybe it was ICS) came out. It's also not available on my current phone, running Windows. Strange. I liked being able to do it by feel rather than have to whip out my glasses to see what I'm doing (and as others have said, I'm not fond of voice dialing, partly because it looks stupid but even more so because voice recognition doesn't always work, especially in noisy environments.)

So far, I'm not seeing enough compelling reasons to go back to Blackberry, despite waiting well over a year from my contract expiration for the Q10 to become available on Sprint. As Slagman said, there needs to be some compensating benefits for going to a smaller screen and fewer apps (and yes, Windows is short on apps too, but at least I can get eWallet without using a side-loaded version that people have reported as not being fully functional.)
    There are third party applications that can add a shortcut to the home screen to dial a contact directly. Don't know what they're called, but DocuShortcut (free, check it out: also allows you to pin any file/folder or Setting to the home screen) will soon get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 05:14 PM
    You want feature parity with BBOS 6 & 7?

- Memory leaks?
    - Text based apps with no common UI?
    - J2ME apps?
    - battery pulls?
    - freezing/lockups without hourglass (9810/990 especially)?
    - endless menu button lists?
    - hamfisted touch paradigm applied to physical input based UI?
    - Poor 3G data performance?
    - 8 minute boot times?
    - waiting for MORE when reading long emails?
    - low resolution displays?
    - "Battery too low for radio use"?
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    10-30-13 05:28 PM
    Paging Dr Sox!

- Memory leaks?
    - J2ME apps?
    - battery pulls?
    - 8 minute boot times?
    10-30-13 06:11 PM
    Sorry you left out the camera, or lack thereof, on the BBOS phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:25 PM
    Sorry you left out the camera, or lack thereof, on the BBOS phones.

Posted via CB10
    Well, the cameras were never that bad for me, but I DID forget:

- 3Mb maximum email attachment download size

Ooh, I want parrrriiiitttyyyyyyyy. :P
    waterfrontmgmt likes this.
    10-30-13 06:29 PM
    threads like these are really amusing, you get people that think they are the smartest, busiest most productive individuals to walk the planet complaining about a smartphone of all things....but yet they are too stupid to use a device that actually suits them.... I am happy with BB10, it does what I need

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:43 PM
    Well put.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 06:56 PM
    I use this feature a lot on my 9790. Love the sound it makes dialing the contacts. fast, convenient and professional. makes me want to make more calls. too bad bb10 hasn't caught up with this feature.
    10-30-13 07:21 PM
    One of the first video 's Kevin did about the Q10 was the inability to dial from the home screen, you would have thought the would have thrown up a flag at BlackBerry, but maybe they have bigger things to worry about. There are a lot of things missing on this OS that were on the old that were quite helpful, don't get me wrong, I want speed dialing to, but I would like to be able to turn off my phone and have it power up by using the alarm settimg or power on off like on the old OS.

Posted on my BlackBerry Q10, because I'm so Bloody Special.
    Pete The Penguin and slagman5 like this.
    10-30-13 07:41 PM

- Memory leaks?
    - J2ME apps?
    - battery pulls?
    - 8 minute boot times?
    Totally missing the point. BB10 has just as many, if not more, shortcomings too.
    It's not about which platform is better.
    It is simply a comparison of pros and cons of OS7 devices and BB10 ones. And under this thread, it was about the missing feature, which was a fairly glaring omission.
    The reason this type of threads kept cropping up is because there are people (who are mostly veterans), who are making "conscious decisions" that prefer the OS7 devices at this very junction "for their own pattern of use", despite all the shortcomings, which they are totally aware of, after comparing pros/cons of both devices. Their initial expectation of course was the BB10 devices having retained all those little moments of delight, then some.
    This segments of the market (which is probably large) decided that this has not happened. So, they wait.
    But lacking such a fundamental feature like speed dialling from the home screen made them (and me too) wonder if BBRY truly understood the advantages of the physical keyboard beyond the typing purpose. Slapping a very simple "typing" keyboard configuration on Z10 tends to confirm this suspicion. Q10 is still a touch screen phone.
    As for me, I thought, and was made to believe that most of, if not all, these core BB features would be restored in 10.2. If so, I would have jumped on the Q10 right away. But alas, it has not happened. I can afford to wait until 10.3, 10.4... as long as BBRY is still there .
    Each to his own, and neither camp is right or wrong.
    But the omission of the speed dial function? That's not forgivable!
    Last edited by xanadome; 10-30-13 at 11:54 PM.
    10-30-13 08:10 PM
    Yeah, that makes sense.
    Totally missing the point.
    10-30-13 08:33 PM
    Right on Brother!
    10-30-13 11:22 PM
    Totally missing the point. BB10 has just as many, if not more, shortcomings too.
    It's not about which platform is better.
    It is simply a comparison of pros and cons of OS7 devices and BB10 ones. And under this thread, it was about the missing feature, which was a fairly glaring omission.
    The reason this type of threads kept cropping up is because there are people (who are mostly veterans), who are making "conscious decisions" that prefer the OS7 devices at this very junction "for their own pattern of use", despite all the shortcomings, which they are totally aware of, after comparing pros/cons of both devices. Their initial expectation of course was the BB10 devices having retained all those little moments of delight, then some.
    This segments of the market (which is probably large) decided that this has not happened. So, they wait.
    But lacking such a fundamental feature like speed dialling from the home screen made them (and me too) wonder if BBRY truly understood the advantages of the physical keyboard beyond the typing purpose. Slapping a very simple "typing" keyboard configuration on Z10 tends to confirm this suspicion. Q10 is still a touch screen phone.
    As for me, I thought, and was made to believe that most of, if not all, these core BB features would be restored in 10.2. If so, I would have jumped on the Q10 right away. But alas, it has not happened. I can afford to wait until 10.3, 10.4... as long as BBRY is still there .
    Exactly, well said.
    10-31-13 07:03 AM
    Exactly, well said.
    I disagree.
    10-31-13 07:35 AM
    Nothing to say, i really didnt like bb 10 i thought it will be the best, full of bugs
    Posted via CB10/Q10
    Last edited by LeaderNaous; 10-31-13 at 08:23 AM.
    10-31-13 08:09 AM
    Nothing to say, i really didnt like bb 10 i thought it will be the best, full of bugs
    Posted via CB10/Q10
    I haven't experienced very many bugs. Explain.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 09:59 AM
    Is there not an app you can buy to add this? It seems to me if it is as simple as some of you are saying, a developer would have something out fast while they can (before it's officially added via update). That has always been the pattern when BB missed an important feature.

Is there an app in BB World that can do this?
    10-31-13 10:00 AM
    Is there not an app you can buy to add this? It seems to me if it is as simple as some of you are saying, a developer would have something out fast while they can (before it's officially added via update). That has always been the pattern when BB missed an important feature.

Is there an app in BB World that can do this?
    As I said above, I think so, though I don't know anything specific. I DO know that the free application DocuShortcut is supposed to get it soon.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 10:03 AM
    theres an awesome app called speed dial....that will give you what you want.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 10:08 AM
    There are third party applications that can add a shortcut to the home screen to dial a contact directly. Don't know what they're called, but DocuShortcut (free, check it out: also allows you to pin any file/folder or Setting to the home screen) will soon get it. Posted via CB10
    You still have to swipe to get to the appropriate screen. Nothing is as fast, convenient, effective as a keyboard shortcut.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-31-13 12:42 PM
402 ... 45678 ...