I think the point is not so much that there ARE quick & easy ways to dial on BB10. I see general agrement on that.

The point is, that there are/were many of these "little things" in BBOS that made this platform special, and that its users love(d). I remember a newspaper article (can't find it right now though, think it was from NY) where the writer referred to the lack of these features as one of the main issue for many legacy users.

And, in this very forum, we keep on discussing why BB10 wasn't the success we all hoped for. This goes on and on. One challenge was to attract the (then) 76 millions of BBOS users to migrate to BB10. This did not really happen.

Why? One point for sure is that many of these "little things" from BBOS were omitted in BB10, in the first and now even in the 3rd OS release. The effect thereof was that for many (most?) legacy users, there was no obvious choice for their next smartphone. The absence of many of their beloved BBOS features paved the way to move to other platforms.

I strongly believe, that if the majority of these BBOS features (and home screen shortcuts was one of them) would have been implemented in BB10 from the very beginning on, MANY of the 76M (now 60M ?) would have seen BB10 as their next obvious step.

Therefore it is somewhat astonishing, that shortcuts are still not here, not even in 10.2.
    Yes, and if you've noticed, some of the harshest critics of BB10 (from people who switched over, not from outsiders talking trash) are from legacy BB users. People who switched from iphone and android actually seem to like it more. That's because they're used to it being inconvenient to get to the phone's basic functions, so the BB10 is an improvement on that. But I for one, decided to sacrifice screen space for the keyboard BECAUSE of these shortcuts and conveniences that make it well worth the loss of screen real estate. Take those things away, and then you have to ask yourself, why did we lose the screen space??
    iamagod likes this.
    10-29-13 12:02 PM
    On my old Bold 9900:
    1. Hold the key on the keyboard associated with the person you want to call.

That seems plenty faster to me, and no need to even look at the phone at all, perfect for when you're doing something else while needing to make a call...
    You don't need to look at the screen to press the phone icon. It never moves: it's always on the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 12:03 PM
    I agree it should have been there, I had a Bold 9900 and used it all the time. But now that I'm on BB10, I just got used to press the call button before doing it. I have a Z10 and a Z30, my girlfriend a Q10, and going to BB10 needs some change of paradigm, as with any big OS change. Be it Office, iOS, a new car brand, they are not all equivalent on all points, and functions are sometimes located elsewhere from previous versions. I understand that, and it is not a big deal for me compared to all benefits of BB10.

Michael Clewley said it would come, and I will be very happy when it will be back, but it is not a major annoyance for me. Still, I understand that some people would want to wait or switch to another brand because they find this very important. But for those considering going back to BBOS, I will just say that they should have checked for this functionality before buying.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    Oh, I'm not thinking about going back to a legacy device. If there's one thing that annoyed me more than anything else, is that damn spinning circle waiting for the phone to do stuff... I am hoping to get enough attention to the things that need to be fixed that the people at BB stop moping around their offices about why they are failing and just get in gear fixing everything to make the best phone in the world and maybe that can bring people to the platform...
    10-29-13 12:04 PM
    Yea...I agree with everyone that the entire point of having a BB is for accessibility, and ease of multitasking. If simple LEGACY-type shortcuts are not implemented, why do I still have my BB?
    slagman5 and tigrute like this.
    10-29-13 12:05 PM
    I'd love to see him "one key speed-dial" with his iPhone!
    The issue there is, you have clear benefits to a full touchscreen device. If you're going to sacrifice the screen space for a keyboard, there better be benefits to that keyboard being there besides typing, because now-a-days you can have more speed with a touchscreen. Although a physical keyboard is still more accurate, but still, that one advantage might not be enough to justify the loss of screen real estate. We need all of the other things that made the keyboard so awesome in previous devices...
    10-29-13 12:07 PM
    Yes I agree. The biggest issue with BB10 is that there are numerous more steps to complete a task. Texting to a phone #, calling a contact (type name now it brings up everything with bri in it). Or ending or answering a call

Posted via CB10
    OMG, the search is so stupid on BB10, for example if I type "Mom" somehow "Mom" is the LAST result, it'll show "Jenn's Mom" "Frank's Mom" "Kristin's Mom" all before it... They need to sort it by relevance, not in alphabetical order!!! That annoys me to no end...
    10-29-13 12:09 PM
    BB 10 is not Universal Search.... it is similar to speed dialing for almost every app on the phone. maybe you don't get that point, either? Either way, some of you guys would benefit by doing some research on the history of BBOS and just how long it took to get to to 7. My guess is that 10 will be far better for everyone a lot sooner than it took to get BBOS to where it was.

The Storm was BBOS. Enjoy that nugget.
    What you don't understand is that they already got there. We're not turning back time, it's not like they unlearned everything they learned to get BB OS7 to where it was. They should already have that knowledge to start BB10 where BB OS7 left off and improve it even further from there. How can you make excuses for them for going back to something far inferior to what they already knew to do for BB OS7? Trust me, I want these improvements to BB not ONLY for myself, but also for the company. As long as people can point out ways it's inferior to an old legacy platform, there are reasons for the competitors to mock us. BB needs to fix all of these issues and then make improvements so nobody can say "look how BB10 seems like ancient technology" right or wrong, we need to stop giving the nay-sayers ammunition. I am a supporter of BB, I'm NOT a fanboy though. And that's why I'm not making up excuses for them...
    p1800nut and mkmilan like this.
    10-29-13 12:14 PM
    In some ways, yes, because it had time to gain all these features. None of them were there from the start, and all these features are coming to BB10 much more quickly than they came to BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    So BB somehow unlearned everything they learned to get to OS7??
    p1800nut likes this.
    10-29-13 12:15 PM
    Holding down Q used to put the phone in quiet mode.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, another feature I loved. No need to look at the phone, just take it out, hold that button, put it away, and know it won't make a noise until you switch it back. Now I have to look at my phone, make sure it's at the home screen so I can swipe down, then make sure I touch exactly where the notifications icon is, then put the phone away... blah...
    10-29-13 12:16 PM
    You don't need to look at the screen to press the phone icon. It never moves: it's always on the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    Yet there are many times when I try to touch the phone icon or the camera icon (which also doesn't move) and it doesn't respond on the first try. With this method, I don't know if it worked on the first try or not unless I look at it...
    10-29-13 12:17 PM
    BB 10 is not Universal Search.... it is similar to speed dialing for almost every app on the phone. maybe you don't get that point, either? Either way, some of you guys would benefit by doing some research on the history of BBOS and just how long it took to get to to 7. My guess is that 10 will be far better for everyone a lot sooner than it took to get BBOS to where it was.

The Storm was BBOS. Enjoy that nugget.
    I remember when jumping from 9000 to 9700 (OS5 to OS6) that we were finally getting universal search. Jesus I remember my 7290 and couldn't do much search with it XD

You're right I still don't get the difference.. maybe my memory is playing tricks on me for my BBOS6 but anyways isn't that universal search?

Still no homescreen one-button speed dialing on Q10 in 10.2... WTF?-img_00000007.png

One major thing with the search, whenever I erase everything I wrote I would love to automatically return to home screen

Posted from BB10 running on 1GB of RAM only!
    10-29-13 12:28 PM
    You're still missing a few points. BBOS is not in the same league as the BB 10 on Universal Search, or Type n Go or whatever it's called now. There might actually be some people who would prefer having this new format and not have a problem with tapping the left bottom corner first before they type their speed dial.

And as others have also pointed out, BBOS took YEARS and YEARS to get to 7. You sound like maybe the first BB you owned was a BB07 phone?

And it is also been announced it is coming in an update. And I am pretty sure ranting on Crackberry will not speed it up. So these type post serve no purpose other than self venting.

For those of us who have used BB's for the past 7 or 8 years, most of us are very happy with BB10. We don't really miss the freezes, batter pulls and spinning clocks.... that are still there in my BB07 device (9930)

Trust me, I've thought about all of this. How would type n go be disabled? You don't need capital letters for any of the functions. You type "email [name]" you don't ever need to type "Email [name]" for it to work. So all they have to do, is if you type normally, it'll work as universal search or type n go, if you long press, it'll go to speed dial. Just like it worked in BB OS7. What, you forgot OS7 had universal search as well?? That didn't need to be disabled for the long-press speed dialing to work.
    Danny Ocean likes this.
    10-29-13 12:37 PM
    No, they are not the same... You can now do most anything from the homescreen, which yes, includes searching, but also includes texting, emailing, post to Facebook, Tweet, etc....all from the homescreen without ever needing to tap on the app. It's speed dial for every application now.. That might have something to do with speed dialing from the homescreen taking a while. I'm not a developer.

I You're right I still don't get the difference.. maybe my memory is playing tricks on me for my BBOS6 but anyways isn't that universal search?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000007.png 
Views:	472 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	215384

One major thing with the search, whenever I erase everything I wrote I would love to automatically return to home screen

10-29-13 12:46 PM
    Long pressing 1 used to dial voice mail

Ok ok I'm still happy that these shortcut keys still work which was a major reason for me to choose a Q10:

R - Reply
    L - Reply to All
    F - Forward
    I - File a message
    N - Next
    P - Previous
    C - Compose
    Space - Move down a page
    Shift+Space - Move up a page
    T - Move to top
    B - Move to bottom
    U - Move to next unread
    Speaker Key - toggle speaker phone

slagman5 and p1800nut like this.
    10-29-13 12:54 PM
    I would also love to have that feature back. I am not programmer so I don't know how difficult is to put it there
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 01:39 PM
    Here is a thread that has a few more....

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-2-a-865134/

Ok ok I'm still happy that these shortcut keys still work which was a major reason for me to choose a Q10:

R - Reply
    L - Reply to All
    F - Forward
    I - File a message
    N - Next
    P - Previous
    C - Compose
    Space - Move down a page
    T - Move to top
    B - Move to bottom
    U - Move to next unread

deercreekmichael and p1800nut like this.
    10-29-13 01:57 PM

R - Reply
    L - Reply to All
    F - Forward
    I - File a message
    N - Next
    P - Previous
    C - Compose
    Space - Move down a page
    T - Move to top
    B - Move to bottom
    U - Move to next unread

Yep, there are still plenty of advantages to having a physical keyboard, but there shouldn't be any excuse to be moving backwards in any feature from the legacy devices. I too am glad at least those shortcuts work. :-)

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    10-29-13 03:03 PM
    I love my Q10, and I personally can survive without speed dialing.

But I agree that BlackBerry was foolish to leave it until now. It seems that their attention was split between attracting legacy BB-users and new non-BB users. I think they took their legacy users for granted a bit and they shouldn't have.

I know of one influential businessman who waited for the Q10 to launch, and when he finally got his hands on one, he was so disappointed that he dumped it and got an iPhone. Lack of speed dial was a critical missing feature for him.

Obviously, an iPhone isn't going to be keyboard friendly either, but it has the advantage of the ios ecosystem. We sacrifice a lot in terms of app availability to stay with BB. All those little convenience and workflow features do a lot to make up for the loss of app selection.

Take away those little features, and a legacy user looks at the phone and thinks "if I'm going to have to learn a whole new operating system anyways, I might as well learn an iphone".

I've heard it said elsewhere on this forum that the 9900 was a keyboard phone with a touch screen added on, and the Q10 is a touch screen phone with a keyboard added on.

There's this misconception that keyboards are just for entering text. Keyboards are sooooo much more than text entry. There's navigation, text editing, application shortcuts, task switching, app launching, speed dialing...

What I miss most is being able to launch apps from the home screen:

L = calendar
    U = calculator
    A = contacts
    N = bbm
    M = messages (hub)
    K = lock
    W = weather
    Z = adv OS (quick access to flashlight)
    W (long press) = voice mail
    Q (long press) = quiet

I always thought it was stupid that these could not be customized on BBOS. I really hope they can be customized on BB10 when they finally come out. But, judging by the way the keyboard has been treated so far in BB10, I have to say I'm not holding on to a whole lot of hope.

What would be REALLY excellent, is if you could configure long press shortcuts to work from anywhere in the system. E.g. while editing an email message you could long press U and it would bring up the calculator.

I realize that some people use long presses to enter shifted or accented characters, so this feature would have to be configurable.

But as I say, it seems very unlikely that the current regime has enough respect for the keyboard to allow such a powerful feature.

We're probably just going to get speed dialing from the home screen and nothing else.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 and iamagod like this.
    10-29-13 03:18 PM
    It is not implemented because, I think, pressing any key at Homescreen initiates universal search and Type n Go function. Long pressing = capital letter. Implementing speed dial the old way will mess up immediate search and type n go.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:21 PM
    I don't own a Q10 personally, but most of my friends do. Some coming from older legacy devices at that.

They ALL have the same complaint as you Slag. They have allowed other features to carry over but why not the speed dial option is beyond me. You're right it should be there, and from what ive seen, there is no reason for it not to support that. As for coming in a later update, is pretty sad considering that is pretty much a basic feature by today's standpoint.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 03:30 PM
    Do you guys know why BB10 lags behind BBOS?

When RIM bought QNX, Mike L didn't integrate the OS Dev teams so you had a bunch of QNX Devs coding an OS (BB10) without understanding what makes BBOS great.
    The QNX guys had no love for BBOS unless they owned a Legacy BlackBerry.
    slagman5 and p1800nut like this.
    10-29-13 03:39 PM

R - Reply
    L - Reply to All
    F - Forward
    I - File a message
    N - Next
    P - Previous
    C - Compose
    Space - Move down a page
    T - Move to top
    B - Move to bottom
    U - Move to next unread

Long pressing 1 on most dumb phones calls voicemail.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 03:41 PM
    Long pressing 1 on most dumb phones calls voicemail.
    It's the same on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 03:58 PM
    It's the same on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Not from home screen like in BBOS

slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 04:21 PM
    Not from home screen like in BBOS

Press the phone icon first.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 05:12 PM
402 12345 ...