On the Q10 and Q5:
    1. Tap the phone icon.
    2. Press the speed dial key.

That seems plenty fast to me.

Though I do think they should implement long-hold on the homescreen as convenience keys.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 08:33 AM
    You do realize how long it took BBOS to get where it was with the 9900, don't you? Maybe not. BB 10 is still new and 10.2 added a TON of features. Speed Dial is coming.

Not sure ou can't just implement it without bypassing a very key new feature. The type and go may have to be disabled before you could speed dial from the phone. A lot of people like the new type and go or whatever they call the new universal search. You know, where you can post to twitter, email, text, etc direct from the homescreen without ever going into the app?

What I want is to know WHY is it impossible to implement. Exactly how will it negatively affect the phone if this feature was implemented??
    10-29-13 08:47 AM
    I use "2-step" speed dial in 10.2 and yes it's a bit of a pain. But I agree with the OP on this one.
    - Long press for speed dial
    - Short press for search
    This should be relatively trivial and does not require an overhaul. Hook us up, BlackBerry!
    Pete The Penguin and slagman5 like this.
    10-29-13 09:02 AM
    I think the point is not so much that there ARE quick & easy ways to dial on BB10. I see general agrement on that.

The point is, that there are/were many of these "little things" in BBOS that made this platform special, and that its users love(d). I remember a newspaper article (can't find it right now though, think it was from NY) where the writer referred to the lack of these features as one of the main issue for many legacy users.

And, in this very forum, we keep on discussing why BB10 wasn't the success we all hoped for. This goes on and on. One challenge was to attract the (then) 76 millions of BBOS users to migrate to BB10. This did not really happen.

Why? One point for sure is that many of these "little things" from BBOS were omitted in BB10, in the first and now even in the 3rd OS release. The effect thereof was that for many (most?) legacy users, there was no obvious choice for their next smartphone. The absence of many of their beloved BBOS features paved the way to move to other platforms.

I strongly believe, that if the majority of these BBOS features (and home screen shortcuts was one of them) would have been implemented in BB10 from the very beginning on, MANY of the 76M (now 60M ?) would have seen BB10 as their next obvious step.

Therefore it is somewhat astonishing, that shortcuts are still not here, not even in 10.2.
    slagman5, nack, p1800nut and 2 others like this.
    10-29-13 09:14 AM
    I agree it should have been there, I had a Bold 9900 and used it all the time. But now that I'm on BB10, I just got used to press the call button before doing it. I have a Z10 and a Z30, my girlfriend a Q10, and going to BB10 needs some change of paradigm, as with any big OS change. Be it Office, iOS, a new car brand, they are not all equivalent on all points, and functions are sometimes located elsewhere from previous versions. I understand that, and it is not a big deal for me compared to all benefits of BB10.

Michael Clewley said it would come, and I will be very happy when it will be back, but it is not a major annoyance for me. Still, I understand that some people would want to wait or switch to another brand because they find this very important. But for those considering going back to BBOS, I will just say that they should have checked for this functionality before buying.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    10-29-13 09:36 AM
    Not sure ou can't just implement it without bypassing a very key new feature. The type and go may have to be disabled before you could speed dial from the phone. A lot of people like the new type and go or whatever they call the new universal search. You know, where you can post to twitter, email, text, etc direct from the homescreen without ever going into the app?
    If I remember correctly, my last phone was a 9700 and I could speed dial from the home screen AND do the universal search. So I don't really get your point..
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 09:54 AM
    I am about to lose my boss to an iPhone. I got him to switch to a Q10 a month ago. He's a long time BlackBerry user and he has pointed out several of these 'little things' that he used to be able to do on a BlackBerry that he can no longer do on a Q10 in the same way. Most of them were minor to me, but it means a lot to him. I don't expect him to be as patient and willing to change old habits like me so I will understand if he switches.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 09:58 AM
    I am about to lose my boss to an iPhone. I got him to switch to a Q10 a month ago. He's a long time BlackBerry user and he has pointed out several of these 'little things' that he used to be able to do on a BlackBerry that he can no longer do on a Q10 in the same way. Most of them were minor to me, but it means a lot to him.
    I'd love to see him "one key speed-dial" with his iPhone!
    10-29-13 10:00 AM
    I'd love to see him "one key speed-dial" with his iPhone!
    He can't do it on either one. Not the same way as his 9700/9900.
    10-29-13 10:16 AM
    He can't do it on either one. Not the same way as his 9700/9900.
    So why does he say : I'm leaving my Q10 because of it (fine) but I go to a phone that doesn't have it either (not fine)
    10-29-13 10:27 AM
    So why does he say : I'm leaving my Q10 because of it (fine) but I go to a phone that doesn't have it either (not fine)
    Because our iCentric operations manager (not my boss) is looking for as many reasons as he can to switch us all to iPhones. He always jokes around about how it's trying to be an iPhone, he might as well use a real one. Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the thread.
    10-29-13 10:29 AM
    Yikes. I hope they implement this soon. Don't need anyone turning into the Hulk. Lol
    10-29-13 10:32 AM
    Yes I agree. The biggest issue with BB10 is that there are numerous more steps to complete a task. Texting to a phone #, calling a contact (type name now it brings up everything with bri in it). Or ending or answering a call

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 10:38 AM
    I’m with you on this one. It is a WTF moment. I gripe about some of the other features BB7 had that were gone with BB10 (a decent music player were podcasts remembered where you left off and were sorted by podcaster and date -- I know, it’s minor). But to not have the same efficient way to speed dial that made BlackBerry a BlackBerry is ridiculous.
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 11:05 AM
    BB 10 is not Universal Search.... it is similar to speed dialing for almost every app on the phone. maybe you don't get that point, either? Either way, some of you guys would benefit by doing some research on the history of BBOS and just how long it took to get to to 7. My guess is that 10 will be far better for everyone a lot sooner than it took to get BBOS to where it was.

The Storm was BBOS. Enjoy that nugget.

If I remember correctly, my last phone was a 9700 and I could speed dial from the home screen AND do the universal search. So I don't really get your point..
    10-29-13 11:31 AM
    Probably not really so disastrous to justify screaming and swearing, as there are alternative options that make dialling on a Q speedier than on any touchscreen only device.
    However, I think the OP has a point.
    The absence of home screen shortcuts has been one of the omissions of BB10 that was critizized very intensely by most legacy OS lovers. And, it was one of the points that opened the doors for these people to move to a different platform. It was one of the features that made a BB "special".
    So why was that not implemented in 10.2 then? Was it SO difficult to implement?
    OMG, that's the thing, we're not comparing to touchscreen devices, because we don't have a full touchscreen!!! We're sacrificing half the screen real estate for what, CONVENIENCE!! If you take the things that make the keyboard SUPERIOR to the touchscreen by a huge margin, then WHY THE HELL DID WE SACRIFICE SCREEN SPACE FOR?????
    strongo and iamagod like this.
    10-29-13 11:40 AM
    Every piece of information saved in the phone is indexed and searchable in two-three clicks with BB10. As it stands what you are asking for is in-implementable!

The universal search function would need a major overhaul for prolonged keypress recognition.

Posted via CB10
    Seriously?? The Bold 9900 had universal search, AND THE SPEED DIAL. I guess OS 7 is more advanced than BB10?? smh
    10-29-13 11:41 AM
    Seriously?? The Bold 9900 had universal search, AND THE SPEED DIAL. I guess OS 7 is more advanced than BB10?? smh
    In some ways, yes, because it had time to gain all these features. None of them were there from the start, and all these features are coming to BB10 much more quickly than they came to BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    waterfrontmgmt likes this.
    10-29-13 11:43 AM
    Holding down Q used to put the phone in quiet mode.

Posted via CB10
    slagman5 likes this.
    10-29-13 11:43 AM
    Holding down Q used to put the phone in silent mode.

Posted via CB10
    And I think A locked the phone.

I wouldn't mind having these features. It's not a deal-breaker to not have them, mind you.

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 11:44 AM
    I'm with you guys. Sick and tired of BB10 not having feature parity with BBOS6 and BBOS - fed up with all the excuses made by BlackBerry and their fanbois.

As much as I like my Q10, I'm seriously thinking about getting a 9900 cos I miss my 9700.

C'mon BlackBerry, stop sacking staff and male a killer OS!! It won't kill you...
    I had the Bold 9000, then the Bold 9900, now the Q10, and I am definitely a huge supporter of BB and always argue with my friends why the Q10 is just as good, if not better, than any phone they can possibly get if your priorities are with getting things done, but at the same time, I'm not a fanboy, and that's why I'm so pissed about this. I also can't believe the fanboys here that are giving them a free pass in everything. I want the Q10 to be my ultimate dream phone. It's damn close, but there are the few little annoyances such as this one that just NEEDS to be fixed... I'm sure if we all went up in arms at BB about these issues, they will fix them faster than we've ever seen, but thanks to all of the fanboys going "eh, I don't mind it being a little slower..." they will never get their **** in gear...
    10-29-13 11:46 AM
    There are many threads about missing speed dial from home screen functionality. And you're totally right! It's a slap in the face of every loyal BlackBerry user, migrating to OS10!

But as usman_hidayat19 already pointed out in post no. 2 of this thread, BlackBerry product manager Michael Clewley announced this feature to be coming soon. Personally, I understood that more as being a promise...

Until then, BlackBerry shouldn't use it's slogan "Getting things done!"...
    I remember that too, but I am thinking he probably meant the slight change in 10.2 as what was coming "around the corner" because from what I've read, it is improved over the original method, but it's still not from the home screen. You just don't have to go to the phone dialer screen within the phone app anymore...
    10-29-13 11:48 AM
    I agree feature parity isn't there, although 10.2 is getting closer, but the tap into phone, and tap onto favorite is too much? If you had an icon chances are 1 in 3 or 4 you're on the wrong tile screen, so there's a swipe or 2, plus a tap, is two taps so bad? Unless you need more then 3 favorites?

Posted Via CB10 - Q10SQN100-1/10.2.0.1791
    I use my phone for a lot of phone calling. I had well over 10 speed dial numbers that I used regularly. And there was none of this swipe, tap, 2-3 step nothing, I simply took my phone out of my holster, held a button without even looking at the phone at all, put the phone to my ear and I'll be talking to my friend/relative without fail... If you're walking, riding bike, or doing something else, this was really useful. Now I have to take my attention away from what I'm doing, look at the phone to make sure I touch the right part of the touchscreen, then do what I need to do??? No thanks, give me speed and efficiency back.
    10-29-13 11:53 AM
    On the Q10 and Q5:
    1. Tap the phone icon.
    2. Press the speed dial key.

That seems plenty fast to me.

Though I do think they should implement long-hold on the homescreen as convenience keys.

Posted via CB10
    On my old Bold 9900:
    1. Hold the key on the keyboard associated with the person you want to call.

That seems plenty faster to me, and no need to even look at the phone at all, perfect for when you're doing something else while needing to make a call...
    10-29-13 11:56 AM
    You do realize how long it took BBOS to get where it was with the 9900, don't you? Maybe not. BB 10 is still new and 10.2 added a TON of features. Speed Dial is coming.

Trust me, I've thought about all of this. How would type n go be disabled? You don't need capital letters for any of the functions. You type "email [name]" you don't ever need to type "Email [name]" for it to work. So all they have to do, is if you type normally, it'll work as universal search or type n go, if you long press, it'll go to speed dial. Just like it worked in BB OS7. What, you forgot OS7 had universal search as well?? That didn't need to be disabled for the long-press speed dialing to work.
    10-29-13 11:58 AM
402 1234 ...