I've had my phone for many months now, but still find it a huge pain to select certain words, say in a text or whatsapp message.

There are also times when you cannot select anything at all.

Advice?
    arvind1983 likes this.
    05-12-14 11:19 PM
    Face the same thing, at times I have to tap the screen 3-4 times for the cursor to come at the desired position. Nothing beats a trackpad
    05-12-14 11:31 PM
    Face the same thing, at times I have to tap the screen 3-4 times for the cursor to come at the desired position. Nothing beats a trackpad
    Or you tap on an edge of circle that pops up and the cursor moves one place in that direction. Or slightly drag it.
    05-12-14 11:34 PM
    Yep.

I wonder whether a stylus would work.
    05-12-14 11:40 PM
    Or you tap on an edge of circle that pops up and the cursor moves one place in that direction. Or slightly drag it.
    Circles don't always pop up. Eg in Whatsapp.
    05-12-14 11:41 PM
    Sometimes the cursor ring wont come on even after tapping a few times. Try selecting the first letter using the cursor ring!
    AmritD likes this.
    05-12-14 11:50 PM
    It's supported in some apps and not in others. I just tried to select some text from a post in CB10 and it didn't let me.

I actually find text selection in BB10 to be better than the other major platforms, but it comes down to personal preference.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    05-13-14 12:26 AM
    Sometimes the cursor ring wont come on even after tapping a few times. Try selecting the first letter using the cursor ring!
    That is what happens and that's the most annoying thing. Happens so much with me on BBM.
    05-13-14 04:17 AM
    I agree that it does work in some places, and not so well (or at all) in others, but it's improved significantly over the various BB10 releases.

Hopefully 10.3 with further improve it, but I find that, more often than not, it works fine for me, and just needs a little practice. I often select words/sentences faultlessly whilst on the move.
    05-13-14 04:20 AM
    I've gotten pretty good with the Q10's cursor and text selection. Not as good with the trackpad on my 9900, but I can tell that they've improved the interface a lot. I don't need a trackpad anymore

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Stwutter and ColdStoneGuards like this.
    05-13-14 08:16 AM
    I've had my phone for many months now, but still find it a huge pain to select certain words, say in a text or whatsapp message.

There are also times when you cannot select anything at all.

Advice?
    Double tap on the word you want and its automatically highlighted, if you need more than one word just move the cursor indicators. That double tapping works in SMS. As for whatsapp, idk i tried it on my Zed10 since I don't have whatsapp on my Q10 but on the Zed10 it only lets me tap and hold to select the entire message.
    05-13-14 06:40 PM
    There are a lot of things on my Q10 that I like a lot better than on my iPhone, but the cursor placement is certainly not one of them. It's so effortless on ios whereas I feel like I'm always randomly pecking at the screen on the BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 01:49 AM
    I have found that holding down the shift key will bring up the selection circle.

But, again, the inconsitency in behaviour across apps is downright annoying.

Fingers->Q10->CB10->Your Eyes.
    05-14-14 03:46 PM
    Only advice I can ponder is to buy the BBry Classic when it comes out. Nothing beats a clickable trackpad for text selection. Sure, quick, easy, done. By the time you get the blue circle to appear on a Q10, my email is edited and sent on a 9900.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-14-14 04:19 PM
    OP here.

Good (or bad) to see I'm not the only one.

It's completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 06:39 PM
    A stylus helps quite a bit. I bought a bunch of the kind with the microweave tip (vs. plain rubber) so that I always have one handy.

Also, while holding down the Shift key, you can use your finger or stylus to drag over text to select it.
    I wonder whether a stylus would work.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-15-14 12:48 AM
    So there is a guy running a Q10, 30 day experiment. And he just posted a video on text selection. Maybe this will help.

The last part is great. Holding the shift key then moving the cursor around like a track pad. Hope it helps.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...&v=bi9jhGibno4

Posted from my awesome Q10
    anon(6038817) and SPNKr like this.
    05-15-14 02:00 AM
    Cool. Didn't know about the shift key trick but definitely going to start employing that one more often.

Posted via CB10
    tex3523 and Ragbert like this.
    05-15-14 05:29 AM
    I guess this is why they are bringing back the tarck pad, but also font size makes a big difference.

Check out the official IWIK BBM channel C002FA57C posted via Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    05-15-14 05:51 AM
    Thanks for the shift key tip!

Posted via my White Q10
    tex3523 likes this.
    05-15-14 02:28 PM
    I'll be the first one buying a new BlackBerry device with a trackpad. Seriously, I'd camp out for two days for that $*#@.

I LOATHE having to edit, select, copy, or paste on my Q10. It was a gigantic step backwards. Now, to be fair, I have decent eyes and make the most of my little screen by using font size 6. Maybe none of the developers actually envisioned or tested such a small font with their nasty circle-thing, but let me just tell you... it's a nightmare.

Firstly, as others have said, just getting the cursor or circle to come up is some sort of random game- tap. Is it there yet? No? Tap. How about now? Close enough? No? Tap. NO part of good UI design includes continual trial-and-error pot-luck methodology. Okay, finally got close enough, now I either have to delete half a word to make a correction, or try to drag the circle... I kid you not, the quickest solution is to delete half the word and retype. If I'm forced to use the selection tool, half the time dragging up or down makes it scroll superfast and refuses to let me select just what I need. Pushing my finger against the screen and waiting... waiting... waiting like an ***** for enough to get selected and then 'trimming it down' is another fabulous new backwards-design timewaster that STILL is the best one can do. So now I'm done with edits and want to pick up typing the text where I left off- damn, everytime I try to tap at the very end I trigger either the emoticons or send button. Five minutes in, I'm still fighting my device when I'd have already been two replies into the conversation on my 9700.

I commend BlackBerry for trying their damndest to fit in with the competition, but this touchscreen-only fad is just moronic. It is NOT a one-size-fits-all solution for every device ever. Tablet? Of course. But even touchscreen laptops still have a trackpad. Why on earth would it make sense to have a full-fledged communication/entertainment/organization device, complete with blinking cursor, and then remove their proprietary awesome precision method of controlling it? I don't care how clever and intuitive the software gets, the stab-repeatedly-and-hope method will never be as efficient. It introduces extra frustration, takes extra time, and for what? There's absolutely no benefit to removing a tested, working solution just because 'the other guys aren't doing this'. Way to innovate, BlackBerry.

I'm hoping they've now realized their mistake, which is why the Classic line is coming. As I said, I'll be first in line.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:50 PM