Help guys..

I spilled a tiny bit of Gin & Tonic on my BlackBerry Saturday night. And it counted down and then when off like 15s after. I have dropped it in water before, and got it back. So I removed everything straight away, and then put in rice at home for 3 days straight. Now when I try to turn it on, it turns on, and messages start coming in and things, but the screen is just this slow weird white grey luminescent patch that brightens and darkens. I can't see anything and I can't touch anything.

I've read accounts online of ppl soaking it in pure alcohol, then leaving to dry for 4-5 days, but I am not brave enough to soak my phone in liquid again, considering that was the problem.

Any ideas guys? Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    05-20-14 02:03 PM
    Do NOT use the alcohol trick... That sounds like a recipe for disaster. Don't believe everything you read on the internet

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    05-20-14 10:15 PM
    Sounds like it may have damaged the digitizer. My son's HTC reacted the same way after his phone was exposed to high amount of steam.

Only fix was to replace it. And well, i'd already replaced it once and his screen and his motherboard about a month earlier. I was over it and told him to deal with it. LoL

Anyway, guess you may have to decide if it's cost effective to consider replacing digitizer or motherboard or get a new phone.

Posted via CB10 - the app that may or may not exist
    05-20-14 10:47 PM
    Help guys..

I spilled a tiny bit of Gin & Tonic on my BlackBerry Saturday night. And it counted down and then when off like 15s after. I have dropped it in water before, and got it back. So I removed everything straight away, and then put in rice at home for 3 days straight. Now when I try to turn it on, it turns on, and messages start coming in and things, but the screen is just this slow weird white grey luminescent patch that brightens and darkens. I can't see anything and I can't touch anything.

I've read accounts online of ppl soaking it in pure alcohol, then leaving to dry for 4-5 days, but I am not brave enough to soak my phone in liquid again, considering that was the problem.

Sounds like irreparable water damage! You are lucky it was salvageable the first time! For this reason I don't even use my phone outside even when it rains!

Posted via CB10
    05-22-14 11:24 AM
    Sounds like it may have damaged the digitizer. My son's HTC reacted the same way after his phone was exposed to high amount of steam.

Only fix was to replace it. And well, i'd already replaced it once and his screen and his motherboard about a month earlier. I was over it and told him to deal with it. LoL

Anyway, guess you may have to decide if it's cost effective to consider replacing digitizer or motherboard or get a new phone.

I'm impressed!
    You replaced the mother board? Where can you buy a new mother board or main frame?

I have 9900 I screwed up the keyboard connection. Is there a fix?
    05-22-14 01:12 PM
    Help guys..

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Digitizer Touch Screen & LCD Display for BlackBerry Q10 - Black Glass Screen Repair / Replacement Part

05-22-14 02:59 PM
    I'm impressed!
    You replaced the mother board? Where can you buy a new mother board or main frame?

I have 9900 I screwed up the keyboard connection. Is there a fix?
    Amazon.com. And check for a video on YouTube. I found an excellent one where guy broke It down and rebuilt step by step.

My son is so rough on phones I can't count the number of times I took it apart to repair. After the last time I told him that was it. And I meant it LoL

05-22-14 04:54 PM
    Amazon.com. And check for a video on YouTube. I found an excellent one where guy broke It down and rebuilt step by step.

My son is so rough on phones I can't count the number of times I took it apart to repair. After the last time I told him that was it. And I meant it LoL

FCSC thank for the video. Looks like the engineering is similar to the 9900.

Moodyk13 thank for the input. I found everything but a motherboard. The people that are having double typing should watch the video and change out their keyboard.

I live in Washington State and I had my keyboard problem when I got it wet in the rain. I didn't know how sensitive these phones are. I "think" the people having problems are the ones that eat, drink or get their phone wet while using the keyboard.

Thank you again for posting your fix.

Stevenviney: since your phone is worthless. I don't think spilling a drink on it damaged the motherboard so it would be a coin flip. The other parts are cheap and fairly easy to replace. You would be out about $50 for new keyboard and glass. Since a new phone is over $200 is it worth it to you?
    moody likes this.
    05-22-14 06:28 PM
    Just how many G&T's did ya have?
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-22-14 07:27 PM
    Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies.

I'm enquiring about that now. I don't know how brave I am to try it myself, so I'll explore repairing it options. I don't think the "motherboard" or such is damaged, because it actually rings etc when I call it. It's just this monotonish white/grey screen with lines that darkens and brightens. So I think it's salvageable. I hope so, I really love this phone and am only 7months into my contract, and I really like it.

It's just that, I was just told by a bartender friend (and I read online), people who swear by it, that this situation is caused by sugars/impurities hardening in the electrics etc. And that if you remove battery etc, rinse with 91%+ pure alcohol, and then leave for exactly 5 days somewhere warm (not a second sooner), it has a very high chance of dissolving impurities, evaporating, and being fine. And this friend has done it several times. Sounds wild to me, but I don't know... :S

I'll explore repairing options, if it seems expensive, might just get a new one, and then try this technique and get back to you.

It's really frustrating, like 15ml dripped onto it for like a split second before I removed the battery etc. Anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
    05-22-14 11:39 PM
    Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies.

I'm enquiring about that now. I don't know how brave I am to try it myself, so I'll explore repairing it options. I don't think the "motherboard" or such is damaged, because it actually rings etc when I call it. It's just this monotonish white/grey screen with lines that darkens and brightens. So I think it's salvageable. I hope so, I really love this phone and am only 7months into my contract, and I really like it.

It's just that, I was just told by a bartender friend (and I read online), people who swear by it, that this situation is caused by sugars/impurities hardening in the electrics etc. And that if you remove battery etc, rinse with 91%+ pure alcohol, and then leave for exactly 5 days somewhere warm (not a second sooner), it has a very high chance of dissolving impurities, evaporating, and being fine. And this friend has done it several times. Sounds wild to me, but I don't know... :S

I'll explore repairing options, if it seems expensive, might just get a new one, and then try this technique and get back to you.

It's really frustrating, like 15ml dripped onto it for like a split second before I removed the battery etc. Anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
    If your going to try the alcohol route why not only dip the glass and keyboard. I wouldn't touch the motherboard.
    05-23-14 07:42 AM
    I took it to a repair shop, and the guy said screen is bust, and that it's $100 to fix it. I think I'll go with that.

Thanks for help everyone!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    05-23-14 02:02 PM
    I took it to a repair shop, and the guy said screen is bust, and that it's $100 to fix it. I think I'll go with that.

Thanks for help everyone!
    A new keyboard is less than $20 I would replace the keyboard while he has it apart if he can do it for $125. Might eliminate a future problem
    05-23-14 02:43 PM
    Ouch! I drenched my Z by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee all over it while answering a VERY important call. Completed that call but the Z never recovered. Cream and sugar didn't help. Especially down the headphone and usb jacks. The digitizer went nuts and stayed there. Co-workers still get a laugh at my expense reminiscing about the obviously entertaining event. lol
    05-23-14 03:19 PM
    Ouch! I drenched my Z by crushing a foam cup of HOT coffee all over it while answering a VERY important call. Completed that call but the Z never recovered. Cream and sugar didn't help. Especially down the headphone and usb jacks. The digitizer went nuts and stayed there. Co-workers still get a laugh at my expense reminiscing about the obvious4 ly entertaining event. lol
    There are videos on You Tube to replace these parts. Since it is damaged take it apart just for?
    05-23-14 06:39 PM