04-17-14 07:37 PM
128 123 ...
tools
    Hi everyone,
    Im looking to get a new phone, definitely a blackberry. I had a curve 8520 two years ago and have now been using a iphone 4 for the past 6 months or so. I really liked the curve, my only problems with it was just that it was pretty buggy sort of. The whole experience just wasnt as smooth as with an iphone. But i really like the keyboard, efficiency and just how it looks so much more professional. In one word i would call blackberrys doers. It gets things done. Thats what i liked.
    Now Ive been looking to go back to a blackberry. I want a q10 because its just newer and I assume its better. However, Im also considering a bold 9900. Im a 17 year old highschool student so i dont have that much money the q10 is twice as much as the bold. MY QUESTION is whether i should just get a bold 9900 for $300 or go ahead and shell out $600 for the new q10. Is the q10 worth twice as much as the bold 9900. Ive never used either so im hoping to get an answer form someone whos used both. Do you prefer one over the other. IS the q10 worth the money
    08-27-13 08:53 PM
    You should try the other threads with the same title you might find some answers in there.

Q10/ 1323/ THKS berryleaks
    08-27-13 08:56 PM
    Get the 9900, you'll be happier. I wish I would've stuck with my 9790 and not moved to the q10.

You'll be much less efficient.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 08:59 PM
    Q10!!! I use a Z10 for personal use, and 9780 for work (Q10 upgrade next month or so).

I hate going back to BBOS after using BB10. Looking forward to my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:12 PM
    Q10, far superior device to the 9900!!

Posted via CB10
    leeboy82 likes this.
    08-27-13 09:29 PM
    Q10 all the way! It's much better and efficient than the 9900 in my opinion. And BB10 is awesome much smoother than BBOS. Although the price is also a factor soo it's whichever is best for your pockets

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 09:31 PM
    Q10 of course. Can't imagine myself using anything before BB10 at this point in time.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 12:52 AM
    most people will tell you get the Q10 as most people believe latest device and more expensive devices are always better.
    i have my own view though.
    the Q 10 is great.
    but the 9900 is the worst blackberry evermade ! right from the first day i owned it after reading good review abut it on crackberry, Its nothing but disappointment!
    you can search my old post about 9900 , its all complained and complained!
    -abysmal battery life
    -terrible camera quality
    -unstable OS releases
    -bad build quality
    -and somuch more.

now as an old time blackberry user.
    i suggest that if you get the spare money, get the Q10
    its great device.
    it has it flaws as well, mine and few of the people here sometimes experienced a reboot when the phone is placed on the table.
    and the contacts/phonebook app is not reliable , and also Blackberry Link is frustating to use.
    but it has very good battery life, good camera, and im quite satisfied owning it.

if you are on tight budget get the old 9780 instead
    i sthill use one of them and it is an awesome device as well

my advice is stay away from OS 7 & devices
    they are the worse blackberry ever made INMHO

alot of people will disagree with me. but i just share my experienced here.

either buy the good old OS 6 devices or the new OS 10
    stay away from OS 7

nb:
    you could get the Q5 is about the same price as the 9900 right now.
    Last edited by 10-Dee-Q; 08-28-13 at 01:53 AM.
    08-28-13 01:36 AM
    Is the Q10 worth the money? Depends what you use it for.
    After a few months the tops of the keys on mine are quite polished, I have worn out one screen protector, but otherwise it looks new. It gets used a lot, and I like to have the certainty that in emergency I can swap in a spare battery. I also have all my critical documents on an encrypted micro-SD card.
    Now the same goes for the 9900, but the difference is that so far the Q10 has never let me down once. I don't sideload Android (if I wanted a bugphone I would buy one), but I have never had to restart, battery pull or wait for things to start working. The up swipe was a little slow at times till the last software update, since when it has always worked and all those comments about not enough gap at the bottom of the screen have been shown to be pretty pointless. Good as some features of the 9900 are, and given that some of them are still not in BB 10, I think that at this point the Q10 is overall very much better, and the 9900 is actually now very overpriced given its age and technology. It's priced for companies that don't want to upgrade to BES 10 and still need to replace handsets, not for end users. And if you buy apps for the 9900, you are basically throwing money away in the long term.
    Is it worth that much to a high school student? Given the environment, and the fact that you were happy with a Curve, I would look hard at the Q5. It should work more or less the same, and because it doesn't have all the "business" features, it's rather cheaper. You aren't going to scream nearly as loud if someone takes it from you and drops it, and the actual experience of using it won't be that different.
    chinky.eyes likes this.
    08-28-13 03:41 AM
    Would you rather have a Hyundai with every extra feature you can possibly think of OR would you rather have a basic model Ferrari?

Posted via Zeppelin or Quincy!
    nite732 and leeboy82 like this.
    08-28-13 03:50 AM
    most people will tell you get the Q10 as most people believe latest device and more expensive devices are always better.
    i have my own view though.
    the Q 10 is great.
    but the 9900 is the worst blackberry evermade ! right from the first day i owned it after reading good review abut it on crackberry, Its nothing but disappointment!
    you can search my old post about 9900 , its all complained and complained!
    -abysmal battery life
    -terrible camera quality
    -unstable OS releases
    -bad build quality
    -and somuch more.

now as an old time blackberry user.
    i suggest that if you get the spare money, get the Q10
    its great device.
    it has it flaws as well, mine and few of the people here sometimes experienced a reboot when the phone is placed on the table.
    and the contacts/phonebook app is not reliable , and also Blackberry Link is frustating to use.
    but it has very good battery life, good camera, and im quite satisfied owning it.

if you are on tight budget get the old 9780 instead
    i sthill use one of them and it is an awesome device as well

my advice is stay away from OS 7 & devices
    they are the worse blackberry ever made INMHO

alot of people will disagree with me. but i just share my experienced here.

either buy the good old OS 6 devices or the new OS 10
    stay away from OS 7

nb:
    you could get the Q5 is about the same price as the 9900 right now.
    Umm . . Sorry pal . . The 9900/9930 are widely regarded as some of the best blackberries ever made. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and yes there are problems posted in the forums as there are in all phone forums. But your declaration of the 9900 as a bad phone is almost laughable . . .

Now, is it better than a q10? For that I'd see james' post above =) although I love my 9930 for now till the 'ferrari' gets some more options ;-)
    08-28-13 07:55 AM
    3 weeks ago I took my perfectly functional in every way 9900 into the shop and traded for a new Q10.
    I'm still struggling and sucking it up until BB "updates" "fix" certain issues.
    Some of which are (in my brain) elementary to the non-toy mobile device.
    Ultimately my Q10 works sufficient enough to get things done.
    Just not as fluidly, simply and intuitively as my 9900 did.
    Oh well.............. It's unfortunate but I prefer this device to the garbage filled toy box of the iphone/ android that tweens and twenty somethings find so satisfying.
    I drank the Koolaid and have nobody to blame but myself.
    Hindsight..... Don't do the OS10 choice YET.....
    08-28-13 08:04 AM
    I've owned both the 9900 and the Q10. As much as I loved the 9900, the Q10 is better in almost every way. Also, the Q10 is the better "investment". IMO, the 9900 is getting a little "long in the tooth". Go with the Q10. You won't regret it.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    chinky.eyes likes this.
    08-28-13 08:04 AM
    I still don't understand what with all these frequent ageist remarks made by blackberry users when comparing phones. Why can't they just comment on phones or platforms instead of labelling and criticising people or group of people.

Posted via CB10
    revtech likes this.
    08-28-13 09:21 AM
    Honestly OP, if I was 17 I'd buy an Android running 4.1 or higher. That said the Q10 would serve you better than a legacy phone.
    08-28-13 11:52 AM
    Get Q10

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 11:54 AM
    Thanks everyone. I decided and finally ordered my q10!!!
    08-28-13 06:21 PM
    Hi! I'm an 18 year old guy who just graduated hs this past June. I had the Bold 9900 and I got really aggravated from it. It freezes alot, the apps suck and overall it isn't a smooth experience. So I got a Q10 this summer and I'll say I was blown away. It's really a very unique and amazing fone. I never thought blackberry could come up with such an awesome fone. The only complaint I have is the app store which still isn't mature and full of apps but otherwise Q10 all the way!!

Posted via CB10
    anon5453525 likes this.
    08-28-13 06:27 PM
    Q10.-

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 07:35 PM
    Congrats on making the jump to BB10 with the Q!

I'd thought the dilemma would've been whether to get the Black Q or the white Q....
    08-28-13 07:42 PM
    Keep us updated, any help with the device you may need can be found here.
    08-28-13 07:44 PM
    If you found the 8520 "buggy" then you'll find the Q10 awful, like I did. BB recently cut its production due to underwhelming market acceptance of Blackberry 10, and I got 5 weeks of hands-on experience to learn firsthand why the market uptake is so slow.

Comparatively speaking, here are the advantages of the 9900:
    (1) OS7 is a far more intuitive user experience. The Q10 was really designed to be an engineer's Rubik's cube, with cryptic icons, bizarre gestures, and a schizophrenic user interface that techiies will love to decipher but the rest of us hate. There is no icon for Mail, though there is one for Calendar and Text Messages. This "hub" thing is pretty stupid, designed for ADD-afflicted kids who need a constant obsessive-compulsive distraction in their hands. The hub is basically a weird replacement for the OS7 row of icons (Text/Facebook/Email notification icons). In summary, BB10 is tantamount to BMW's iDrive system: they went out of their way to try to eliminate useful buttons, and made basic functionality challenging as a result.

All of the above is said having made it *past* through the first week of hell, when the device functionality can barely be comprehended. I suspect 90% of the store returns came from new users who simply gave up after 48 hours.

(2) BB10 was really designed to be a touch-only UI. You will find out in time that BB10 was kludged to accommodate a keyboard, unlike OS7, which naturally relied on a keyboard. There is no harmony between the gestures in BB10 and the Q10 hardware.

(3) Lack of speed dial. This is absolutely stupid. Incredibly stupid. I can't say how stupid this is.

(4) Lack of Google Maps or Blackberry Traffic. The Blackberry Maps program is awful. Try searching for "nearest grocery store" and you'll get hundreds of wrong results (ice cream shops, liquor stores, etc). Again, cryptic icons, and unintuitive design. If you're using BB Maps while driving, wear a helmet and drive slowly. You'll probably crash due to Maps-induced driver distraction.

(5) Inferior calendar: On our BB10 enterprise system at work, calendar does not show the availability of others when scheduling a meeting.

(6) Lack of Auto-off/Auto-on: not a problem if you don't mind getting calls from the Far East at 3:15AM.

(7) Lack of a floating button on the side: On the 9900, I configured mine for quick access to turn on/off the ringer volume. In BB10, this requires several clicks to get down to the Ringer on/off submenu. Again, like changing radio stations with the BMW iDrive, they took something simple and made it overly complicated. Big step backwards.

(8) The BB10 on/off slider buttons barely work half the time. I usually have to flick over and over for them to work. The OS7 checkmark boxes (e.g. Bluetooth on/off) worked perfectly. Poor software design.

(9) Inferior BB Bridge pairing with Playbook. No BBM or SMS bridging.

(10) The Q10`s AMOLED display is not bright and does not work very well in full outdoor daylight.

Blackberry peaked in 2011 with the 9810, 9900, and Playbook. It's hard to believe the Q10 and Z10 were 2+ years late and so underwhelming at the same time. I'm really disappointed, but sticking with a 9900 because it's the most pragmatic productivity smartphone out there. Maybe Blackberry will do something better in 2014 if they're still around.

George H.
    08-28-13 09:11 PM
    Unless you're hyper connected, save some money and get the blackberry 9900. It's a great device despite being run on the disregarded OS7 software and can run most daily tasks quite efficiently. Also, if your someone that likes the trackpad, then this device is definitely for you.
    08-28-13 09:41 PM
    Good call! You'll love it. In the end, get the phone you want and best fits your needs.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    08-28-13 09:54 PM
    I just got a Q10 myself, and can't believe how much more productive I am with it.

Don't have any of the complaints that so many other people seem to.

Loving OS10, and all the amazing features that it brought. I had 9900 and a Curve 9360 before it. Nothing compares to the Q10, from the battery life to the ease of use. For me anyways.

Don't think I could go back to an OS7 phone, or any other phone for that matter.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 11:39 PM
128 123 ...