My main device has been an iPhone 5 since it came out and before that every single generation of iPhones. Because I got bored of iOS I picked up the Z10 in march and gave it a 30 day long chance. At the end I had to return it. I really liked the device, especially the BB10 OS. But the app situation and 30 day email limit while not being able to remotely search my imap server gave me no other choice.

Now I am back with the Q10 and BB 10.1. It is the first keyboard device since my nokia e61.

THE GOOD
    • Cosmetics
      The Q10 looks and feels really good. I prefer the smaller overall size compared to the Z10 which I found to be a bit too big. The height is similar to the iPhone 4, which was my favorite. The additional width is no problem for me either. For me it is the best looking keyboard device ever.
    • Keyboard
      Obviously this is the main selling point of the Q10 and probably the only reason most people would even consider this over the Z10 or any other device. I don't think I am actually typing faster on the hardware keyboard but I am definitely making less mistakes and don't have to rely on autocorrect and my recipients imagination to understand my writing. I will need a few weeks to decide if really benefit from using a hardware keyboard.
    • BB OS 10
      Just like on the Z10 I really enjoy the BB OS. The Hub, Active Frames and Swipe Gestures make this OS special. While iOS is easy to handle I prefer navigating through BB OS.

THE BAD
    • Display in sunlight
      I have never owned an AMOLED display before and while it looks great indoors I did not enjoy it at all outside in bright sunlight. Obviously all displays look bad in sunlight but on the Q10 I could not see anything at times. iPhone 1 to 5 and the Z10 are working a lot better in direct sunlight.
    • email fail
      I have mentioned before that the whole 30 day email and no server search on imap was the reason I ditched the Z10. Well sadly 10.1 did not change anything for me. On my imap account I still get 30 days of email without the ability to remotely search my server for older email. The BB Q10 is supposed to be a business phone and I expected it to be the best email device out there. I cannot understand how this isn't number 1 priority for BB to fix. Any android, windows 8 or iOS device can search for older email on an imap server.....
    • no app progress
      So I saw that skype arrived and was hoping the overall app situation improved a bit. I am not a big app user. I need whatsapp, facebook, skype, twitter, a banking app, news app and some sports apps. Whatsapp worked good on my Z10 and it works good on the Q10. It is still a bit light on the options but by far the best app out of the ones I need. Facebook, skype and twitter are horrible compared to their iOS version. I cannot really chat on facebook with the Q10. The fb messages in the hub appear like 30 minutes late. Two months have passed since I last used the Z10 and I really expected some progress in that area. There is still no usable banking app for my german bank account and none of the sports apps I have on my iPhone made it over to BB10.
    • iCloud sync
      This used to work quite good in 10.0.9 now with 10.1 I cannot get my icloud calendar to work at all. A bit of googling told me that I am not alone. I understand that iCloud is an apple product and I can't expect it to work flawlessly with BB. But icloud uses caldav and carddav and it used to work quite well.

CONCLUSION

The Q10 is a great looking device and I prefer its smaller footprint compared to the Z10 and all the other huge touchscreen devices. The physical keyboard is a joy to type on. Sadly BB OS 10.1 is not ready for me yet. If I'd trust BB enough to fix those obvious problems I would probably hold on to the Q10 and just wait a bit. But since they did not fix the email issue in the last 5 months, I seriously doubt they will ever do so. I really hope I am wrong though and that BB does well in the future (I do own some stocks). Maybe if the Z10 and Q10 sell well the app situation will improve. But as a customer I can't be expected to live with 30 days of email and no calendar sync (iCloud). Only the toughest BB fans will go through that.
    Last edited by buu511; 05-26-13 at 06:34 AM.
    05-26-13 04:35 AM
    Damn. Another realistic Q10 review that's showing the glaring issues. I want to buy this phone, but its going to be hard to justify if its not a proper "business" device.
    BigAl_BB9900, zeteo and wehttam like this.
    05-26-13 05:09 AM
    I have very similar view. Especially the keyboard. I was so desperate to get qwerty phone to find out, that I am so much to touch device, that is not that hard benefit. Also applications missing, although available on z10 (waze for example or sound hound) is not good. Not sure what now, keep it or sell it :-)
    zeteo likes this.
    05-26-13 05:15 AM
    [*]iCloud sync
    This used to work quite good in 10.0.9 now with 10.1 I cannot get my icloud calendar to work at all. A bit of googling told me that I am not alone. I understand that iCloud is an apple product and I can't expect it to work flawlessly with BB. But icloud uses caldav and carddav and it used to work quite well.

...and no calendar sync. Only the toughest BB fans will go through that.
    Wait, what? Just because you can't sync with iCloud calendar (something most "BB fans" don't use!) you conclude that there's no calendar sync at all?? Admittedly, I'm no OS10 user (yet), but can someone confirm/deny this? I'd be horror-struck if there's no calendar sync at all (i.e. Google calendar etc)!
    05-26-13 05:18 AM
    Wait, what? Just because you can't sync with iCloud calendar (something most "BB fans" don't use!) you conclude that there's no calendar sync at all?? Admittedly, I'm no OS10 user (yet), but can someone confirm/deny this? I'd be horror-struck if there's no calendar sync at all (i.e. Google calendar etc)!
    Of course there is calendar sync.
    for imap: you will have to set an interval (anything from a few minutes to once a day)
    for active sync - pretty much instant
    05-26-13 05:26 AM
    In my view - NEW BlackBerry users (OS 10 being their first BB device) wouldn't have too much to complain about on the device (other than the lack of Apps, of course - please note - that isn't ENTIRELY in RIM BlackBerry's control).

For users coming to OS 10 from previous BlackBerry's (like myself), there are a lot of things we have gotten used to and not having them just... well it is annoying/frustrating. Hopefully things will get sorted out with OS updates.

Of course there are some issues that won't get sorted out with OS updates (I really miss the Trackpad).
    Last edited by L o r d R a j; 05-26-13 at 06:08 AM.
    05-26-13 05:36 AM
    Of course there is calendar sync.
    for imap: you will have to set an interval (anything from a few minutes to once a day)
    for active sync - pretty much instant
    Thanks for the clarification!
    05-26-13 05:38 AM
    I might be wrong here, but I was under the impression that anyone coming from IOS would be really impressed by the OS 10 device (Z / Q). if by nothing else, then at least by the battery life.

I am getting almost 2 days out of my Q10 on a single charge. (It isn't my PRIMARY phone. It is my ONLY phone). But then, it does depend on usage.
    05-26-13 05:44 AM
    There are some users for whom certain APPS are extremely important.

I will be first to admit that the Twitter App on OS 10 is C.R.A.P. Why compare it to IOS... even the Twitter App on BlackBerry's OS 7 was BRILLIANT compared to the one on OS 10.
    But as I have mentioned earlier - it wouldn't be fair to place the blame entirely on RIM BlackBerry for Twitter providing a S.H.I.T.T.Y app.
    05-26-13 05:47 AM
    I might be wrong here, but I was under the impression that anyone coming from IOS would be really impressed by the OS 10 device (Z / Q). if by nothing else, then at least by the battery life.

I am getting almost 2 days out of my Q10 on a single charge. (It isn't my PRIMARY phone. It is my ONLY phone). But then, it does depend on usage.
    Can't comment on battery life yet, only had it a few days but I never complained about battery life on my iPhone or Z10.
    05-26-13 06:35 AM
    If it is being used for business, the user *should* have actual business email, calendar and contacts like Google business or Exchange. Both of which have infinite email history and search. Both of which have solid and nearly instant calendar and contact sync. If you want to use personal (free) cloud services, you should expect limitations.
    05-26-13 06:36 AM
    I have my calendar and contacts synched through a @outlook.com account across all my devices including iOS.
    05-26-13 06:39 AM
    My wife gets much better battery life on her i5.
    05-26-13 06:40 AM
    I don't understand how people can defend the email limitations. Every other OS offers IMAP remote search and BB made it clear with the launch of BB OS 10 that they also care about the none business market.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-26-13 07:13 AM
    Thank you for your post....
    So do you go back to iphone?
    I am in same situation like you... Long time iphone user since 2007,
    -bought Z10 and I am happy with BB,its great device
    But I wold like to try Q10...the biggest reason for me is battery life, so I am wondering
    how much its better than iphone and Z10...
    I should have Q10 tonight...
    If battery is better just a litlle bit, I will make come back to Z10 or iphone...still did not make a decision...

What about you?

Ps: sorry for my english
    05-26-13 07:26 AM
    I have not decided yet. I think I prefer the Q10 over the Z10 simply because it is smaller. I really want to keep the Q10 but the email problem is total killer for me. Maybe my girlfriend likes the Q10 (she currently has a Bold 9900).
    05-26-13 07:35 AM
    And what is your experience with battery life...?compare to Z10 and iphone5
    05-26-13 07:38 AM
    I cannot judge the Q10 battery life just yet. The Z10 was a little worse than the iPhone 5 but I still got through the day. So far the Q10 looks stronger but I need more time to be certain.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:04 AM
    There is still no usable banking app for my german bank account and none of the
    There is an app called 123Banking in the app store which supports a number of german banks.

Posted via CB10
    enizz likes this.
    05-26-13 09:04 AM
    Thanks for the tip. Will check it out right away.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:16 AM
    I have the Q10 a few weeks now, battery life improves over time. My battery does last long now, sometimes even a couple of days depending on the use. Didnt exactly measure it yet. When i charge a new phone, i charge it full and let the battery completely drain, a few times in a row. Also i've been told that you 1st put the power cord and adapter in the power outlet, then connect your phone. Disconnect phone 1st when full, not the power cord and the adapter.
    05-26-13 09:46 AM

battery life is important, i would love a phone that would last three days before needing a charge. however features are also important and the bb10 is lacking in that dept, as someone pointed out its a business phone and people expect it to act accordingly and no they havent fixed the email situation they have moved the limt from 30 days to 90 days .It doesnt matter how much days how many months as a user you were in control of what stays on your phone from what doesnt there is no excuse for removing it remember its a business phone it keeps you moving ??? sounds familar?? well it doesnt keep you moving if you cant pull up an email thats over 90 days old ,it stops you dead in your tracks. im tired of users trying to defend blackberry over and over for their crap always an excuse by forum members.
    05-26-13 09:55 AM
    I really wanted to replace my 9930 with a Q10 but there are glaring issues that can not be ignored. I'm beginning to think that BB10 was a good try but BB is going to have to do much better to elbow their way into the market. People are obviously wanting a new system but they don't want a total lack of what they once had. I'll have to see how this all plays out before reaching for my wallet.
    FF22, joeye333, rbrooks86 and 3 others like this.
    05-26-13 09:58 AM
    Given that email was what made the Blackberry brand a household name...
    ...It's strange that after 5 months Blackberry has given that issue.
    ...The same amount of attention it has in developing a "Pong Game App" for BB10.

Perhaps, as BBRY has already stated...
    ...The 30 day email limit was "by Design".
    ...And O.S. 10 was built around this foundation?

If that's the case the best work around for this lack of email functionality may be....
    ...To simply ask a friend to borrow their iphone 4 or 3 year old Droid.
    ...Quickly load your email account onto it then find and forward the email you need to yourself.
    ...After that you could delete your account off your friends phone and yer good for 30 days.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic but given the market share of I.O.S. and Droid it's a valid work around....
    ...And certainly better than anything Blackberry has been able to produce in 5 months.

FF22 and Caymancroc like this.
    05-26-13 11:24 AM
    Nice review thanks for ur insight
    05-26-13 11:52 AM
144 123 ...