Hi,
    Can someone compare the security (all round- whatsapp, bbm etc.) of the 9900 (running os7.1) and the q10.
    I would like to upgrade to the q10 soon, but don't want to forego the 'security' of bis etc. on the 9900 and was therefore thinking of running 2 devices.
    Which of the applications on the q10 use BIS or the blackberry server? I don't install very many applications, so when i get a q10 i will be running all the stock applications already on the phone (bbm etc.) I would be hesitant in installing whatsapp and skype because of security/not using the blackberry server issues?!
    Even more concerned with installing weChat and viber (when it becomes available). So I was thinking possibly running the 9900 with my emails and bbm, then a q10 with skype, whatsapp, viber, wechat on it (just to keep some info segregated?)
    I love the 9900, but if it had an (am)oled screen, longer battery life and the same camera as the q10 then it would be the ultimate phone imo.
    Let me know if I should be concerned with installing 3rd party apps on the q10 and what encryption methods are different on the q10 etc.
    Cheers
    08-04-13 03:26 AM
    Also does bbm video/chat use the blackberry server in anyway?
    Cheers
    08-04-13 03:26 AM
    Anyone? cheers
    08-06-13 05:31 PM
    There is no BIS with bb10 devices. Bbm might run through blackberry's noc system, but that is about it.
    08-06-13 07:54 PM
    No more BIS required as in previous legacy OS devices. However, BBM still goes through the NOC... so if their servers are down there could still be potential interruptions! You can even use BBM with only a BBID and wifi (no sim card needed in the device).

Regarding the security issues, I don't really have much concerns about them and I do use third party apps, whatsapp etc. (just don't like the privacy issues associated with the app, but you can't get away from that one!). Long story short, my BBRY is the only device I trust with all my personal info!

Even using android apps...they are sandboxed and can only operate within these limits!

Edit: There are alot of threads with these concerns, you can of course run a search... here's a link to get you started http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...her-qs-766182/
    08-06-13 08:27 PM
    Ok cheers.
    But what else is going through NOC? ANy of this is confirmed?
    Thanks
    08-09-13 02:00 PM
    All in all I have a feeling that an os7.1 device is much securer than a BB10 at this stage.
    Is it true that if you are just using wifi on an os7.1 device through wifi only (and roaming with 2g), it will not use the the BIS server? even though the BB icon is visible at the top right of the screen?
    thanks
    08-09-13 02:10 PM
    Not sure about that, as I never connect my blackberry to any Wifis. As a work around, since you are looking at having two devices anyway, you could just use the mobile hotspot option on your 9900 and connect to that with your Q10.
    08-09-13 07:19 PM
    Not sure about that, as I never connect my blackberry to any Wifis ...
    Do you really never connect your BlackBerry to wifi, even at home?
    07-26-14 03:23 PM