I guess handset part of the business is not BlackBerry's focus right now. Also, they are not selling enough devices to have huge marketing budget. However they can be innovative. They should release a really amazing phone for extremely low price and customers should be allowed too purchase only on invite basis.....Just like the OnePlus One Chinese startup, who have been grabbing eyeballs following the same strategy.

I wish they had priced Passport for around 350 dollars and followed invite based strategy.
    I see what you're saying but the Passport is not designed for consumers. It's designed for business.
    12-21-14 02:36 PM
    I think to differentiate itself from the rest Blackberry chooses to be business oriented device. With Z10 and Z30 they tried to compete with the likes of androids / iphones but failed miserably. Three primary reasons - over the top pricing, literally no marketing (even today many people don't know what's BlackBerry OS10), lack of apps.

Price a great device like Passport for 350 bucks or launch touch based device with amazing specs and take up invite based strategy. Invite based strategy and low price will solve marketing problem. Good sales will bring new developers and companies like snapchat, Viber, google, instagram will take them seriously. Maybe with this strategy in short term they won't make much profit from handset business but in long-term it will be good.

P.S - in my country, passport is priced for 800 bucks WTF.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 04:51 AM
    Price a great device like Passport for 350 bucks or launch touch based device with amazing specs and take up invite based strategy. Invite based strategy and low price will solve marketing problem. Good sales will bring new developers and companies like snapchat, Viber, google, instagram will take them seriously. Maybe with this strategy in short term they won't make much profit from handset business but in long-term it will be good.
    Tell us how an invite based strategy would work for corporate and government. Because that's BlackBerry's target market right now.
    12-22-14 05:23 AM
    Well, blackberry can release a different device for corporates and governments with all security and stuff maybe passport for them is fine.

Make one consumer oriented device 5.5 inch screen, full hd, 3gb ram, snapdragon 805 etc with great built quality and dirt cheap 300 bucks max. This will give BlackBerry OS10 a lot of exposure and help lot of ppl realize how good it is. Strong sales can bring major apps that are missing on BlackBerry platform.

Hanging on to only business customers won't help BlackBerry float for very long sooner or later ios and androids will catch up.

They can also float a company with a new name just to focus on Consumers maybe call it RIM. I use to love that name - Research in Motion great name.

I know it's not easy and maybe they are trying who knows. They have better judgement. Let's see what happens but I pray BlackBerry doesn't end up being palm or nokia. I like BlackBerry a lot and want them to do well again.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 11:08 AM
    Make one consumer oriented device 5.5 inch screen, full hd, 3gb ram, snapdragon 805 etc with great built quality and dirt cheap 300 bucks max.
    This is just wishful thinking. If BlackBerry can't make a device with the cheapest components around for $75, they certainly wouldn't be able to make high end device for $300.
    12-22-14 03:23 PM
    I live in Dubai, and it seems Blackberry and Etisalat ( service provider) have come along way as they still offer them on contract. I think the official launch of the P9983 was in the UAE. Although I haven't seen any TV ads or billboards on BlackBerry, it still has some presence amongst the locals. Amongst my friends I'm the only one I know who owns a blackberry, it's funny coz I was the one persuading them all this time to go for Android and now here I am all switched back to BB.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-14 10:15 PM
    Just checking in again - anyone see a single BlackBerry commercial yet this year? Radio ad? Print ad? Not me, not a single ad.

They are still completely out of touch and clueless on rebuilding the brand and awareness. Crazy.
    It is absolutely pathetic!

BlackBerry is once again going to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

Are they REALLY so arrogant they don't believe they need to advertise?

Apparently so...

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:13 AM
    They are not advertising for a reason its not crazy. JOHN CHEN has stated that BlackBerry DOES NOT have the appropriate number of distribution channels to advertise(lack in carrier support). So it would be a HUGE mistake to advertise if they did many more people who are interested would definitely look the other way the minute they walk into into a verizon, alltell, sprint, t mobile etc and cant get the phone they seen on a commercial but instead have to order online. CHEN GOT THIS!

Posted via CB10
    Such thinking is totally wrong headed.

When almost no one even knows you still exist... there is virtually no chance to succeed.

Posted via CB10
    anon(19759) likes this.
    12-23-14 01:15 AM
    I would love to hear Chen's thoughts on why we never see a single BB commercial. How are they going to generate any buzz without advertising? Focusing on enterprise is all fine, but at the end of the day, even a CEO goes home and becomes a consumer watching tv. If they still have a couple billion in the bank, how about spending $100MM on some heavy advertising in Canada and US? Don't make it all flash and glam - pick a feature like the universal search and everything that can be done with just that one simple feature (like posting to social, starting to dial, etc.) and hammer it home. As far as I'm concerned, without this advertising, they are still just as clueless as they ever were under the co-mismanagers.
    Well put in March 2014... and 9 months later they're still just as clueless as ever.

god-Chen still blazing his trail of arrogance... and 3 months after release of the awesome Passport most people still think BlackBerry no longer exists.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-14 01:55 AM
    Most watched??? Are you serious? Maybe in 2009. But who watches F1 nowadays, please? They change rules, and there is no competetion anymore. Also 2 or 3 teams are financially broke, and won't compete in the new saison. The motor sound has left due to political correctness. All in all: F1 is becoming the most boring sport since cricket or checkmate. There is no reason to watch it.

And trust me, I am a huge F1 buff! But this season was a downfall. And there is no sign that it's getting better. Who won this season? Who cares, right?

No, switch to football. That'll always work.This is the most watched sport. Period.
    I agree that F1 is boring. But cricket dear boy is certainly NOT boring.
    Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.3442

Posted on my Q10.
    12-23-14 03:20 AM
60 123