03-21-14 09:28 AM
56 123
tools
    That stinks! I had an incipio case on my 9900, it was one that didn't wrap around the screen. It looked and felt great, but I was always worried about dropping it. With the Q, I always use a case that wraps around the screen.
    Good luck with changing out the screen, seems like a "nothing to lose" option!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 09:42 AM
    I have no case and no screen protector on my phone. 100% naked, and my phone fell face down onto jagged rocks. Not pebbles, but big, golf ball size, jagged rocks, like you'll see on unpaved driveways. And all it did was chip one corner of the screen, above the proximity sensor, so it doesn't affect the actual visible part of the screen or any other part of the phone operation. I guess I must have lucked out.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-02-14 10:43 AM
    Sorry foor your loss. I had a 9700 in the gym once and was doing lat pulldowns where you hook your thighs under a pad to keep you in place. Somehow my BlackBerry swung around to the front of my pcket and the screen got crushed. Not a good feeling.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 01:39 PM
    Guys i sat on my Q10 2days ago, the glass is cracked, from top to bottom! It's a very thin crack, but to my surprise the phone still works!!!

I've read before that since the digitizer is integrated in the glass, once cracked or chipped, it becomes unresponsive?! I think i read that for the Z10, is the Q10 build not the same?

I'm ordering a new glass screen today, will report on the repairing! (i did change both the display and digitizer of an old ipad a few years back with 100% success! Very rewarding hope i'll be as lucky with the Q10)!!

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    03-03-14 03:57 AM
    I have heard that from other users, yet I have no problem typing with the Defender on. It definitely adds bulk, but it's not intrusive. I do have large hands, though.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 04:46 AM
    Many thanks for your answers!!!
    03-03-14 04:55 AM
    Guys i sat on my Q10 2days ago, the glass is cracked, from top to bottom! It's a very thin crack, but to my surprise the phone still works!!!

I've read before that since the digitizer is integrated in the glass, once cracked or chipped, it becomes unresponsive?! I think i read that for the Z10, is the Q10 build not the same?

I'm ordering a new glass screen today, will report on the repairing! (i did change both the display and digitizer of an old ipad a few years back with 100% success! Very rewarding hope i'll be as lucky with the Q10)!!

Posted via CB10
    If you repaired an ipad before then repairing your q10 will be easy.

Posted via CB10
    tomsobon likes this.
    03-03-14 08:58 AM
    Aw thats sad!

I dropped mine 3hours ago!
    Thankfully I had my silicone soft case on! Problem solved!

Get a case on your phone next time!

D.

From my Q10
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    03-03-14 11:16 AM
    I had a insipio case on mine and everything, but that didn't help. Anyway, I decided to break down and buy a screen replacement on eBay. It was only $30 so if it didn't work, I won't be out much.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
    03-04-14 06:18 AM
    I had a insipio case on mine and everything, but that didn't help. Anyway, I decided to break down and buy a screen replacement on eBay. It was only $30 so if it didn't work, I won't be out much.

Incipio*

03-04-14 06:19 AM
    Insurance on a phone is only a few bucks a month. A Q10 is worth that extra protection. I run the Trident Aegis on my Q10, and after testing four different cases for the Q10 (including the Otterbox Defender) , the Aegis IS the best case all around. Easy to hold, rugged protection, all ports have easy access dust covers, and it looks awesome. If your screen replacement on your Q10 works, I recommend using that case. Be very leery of a 30 dollar AMOLED screen, especially on eBay. I hope it works.

I used my Q10 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    jamesharmeling and dlrogers81 like this.
    03-04-14 08:43 AM
    Sad day, dropped my Q10..-photo1.jpg

Dear all,

As promised, after sitting on my Q10 and cracking the screen from top to bottom, i'm hereby reporting on my experience replacing the screen!

What I’ve done:
    1. Bought a screen from Ebay from a UK company (mobileliveuk, in my case – very good ratings and good quality products)
    2. Got the right tools for mobile devices, you know those extremely small and weird screwdrivers
    3. Followed instructions from the internet
    I'm proud to report 100% success; it was actually a lot easier than what i was expecting! got scared at one point when my Q10 was literally in pieces, but with a bit of patience, I rebuilt the phone, and it's now working perfectly!

Total costs: screen + tools: +- 40 / $60, well worth it
    Last edited by tomsobon; 03-10-14 at 10:27 AM.
    03-10-14 08:33 AM
    Outstanding story! Now buy this ASAP: http://m.ebay.com/itm/231002718089?nav=SEARCH

tomsobon likes this.
    03-10-14 08:40 AM
    Wow, congratulations! Thanks for the picture also - I'm totally impressed!

Dear all,

as promissed, after sitting on my Q10 and cracking the screen from top to bottom, i'm hereby reporting on my experience in Changing the screen!

1. bought a screen from Ebay from a UK company
    2. got the right tools for mobile devices, you know those extremely small and weird screwdrivers
    3. followed instructions from the internet

I'm proud to report 100% success, it was actually a lot easier than what i was expecting! got scared at one point when my Q10 was literally in pieces, but with a bit of patience, I rebuilt the phone, and it's now working perfectly!

total costs: screen + tools : +- 40 / $60, well worth it

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2141 :-)
    03-10-14 09:19 AM
    Tom, can you post a DIY instruction sheet here?
    Sad day, dropped my Q10..-img_20140307_142659.png

03-10-14 09:36 AM
    Tom, can you post a DIY instruction sheet here?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140307_142659.png 
Views:	626 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	253988

hey NerdyDaddyo,

I've updated my post with the some further details, hope it helps!
    03-10-14 10:26 AM
    Just wanted you to get credit for it. Otherwise they'll think I came up with it.

03-10-14 10:40 AM
    Just wanted you to get credit for it. Otherwise they'll think I came up with it.

no worries man, i hope it helps the community and gives confidence to anyone that thinks repairing DIY is too complicated :-)
    03-10-14 11:53 AM
    Screenshots pasted into the group. Thanks

03-10-14 12:09 PM
    I dinged my black Q10 yesterday. It fell in my recliner and I......reclined. I ordered a white keyboard, white battery door, white camera housing and I already have a silver bezel. I did the same thing with my Bold 9930 2 years ago and it was pretty cool. I'll post a picture when it's done.

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    03-10-14 12:10 PM
    sad to hear. I dropped my Q10 several times too. But not that intensive. If this is the right expression; once, I accidentally threw it away. It was quite intensive. There is nothing in the screen but a little scratch on the shell. The screen is pretty solid though. Anyway just in case when I bought it I got the screen warranted too for a year except the normal 2 years phone warranty. The phone warranty does not cover the screen cracks.
    03-10-14 03:03 PM
    The main reason why I would be hesitant to do this is because you have to remove the stickers and they don't seem to have replacements for them. I know they are technically not required for the phone to work, but I kind of want to keep my phone factory condition for the sake of the insurance and for the sake of selling it afterward... Also, the screen you bought, is it the genuine OEM BlackBerry Super AmoLED screen or is it made by a third party? (I know it's originally manufactured by Samsung, but you know what I mean)
    03-10-14 05:31 PM
    This is why I get Otterbox cases for all my phones.

I already have enough things to worry about in life, and I do not want to worry about dropping my phone. All it takes is one bad fall and your phone could be done just like that. It is not about whether you will drop your device, but it is about when and how often you will drop your phone.

You think you will not drop your phone to a hard surface not once in the 2-3 years you will use your phone? Lol

I also do not get people paying for the insurance thing, $8 extra per month equates to close to $200 at the end of a 2 year contract.
    But phones come down in price so much that the current phones right now could be bought for $200 -$300 anyways just months to 1 year from now.
    OR
    you would be able to fix your broken device for $200 anyways too.

All in all get a protective case.
    03-10-14 07:28 PM
    This is why I get Otterbox cases for all my phones.

I already have enough things to worry about in life, and I do not want to worry about dropping my phone. All it takes is one bad fall and your phone could be done just like that. It is not about whether you will drop your device, but it is about when and how often you will drop your phone.

You think you will not drop your phone to a hard surface not once in the 2-3 years you will use your phone? Lol

I also do not get people paying for the insurance thing, $8 extra per month equates to close to $200 at the end of a 2 year contract.
    But phones come down in price so much that the current phones right now could be bought for $200 -$300 anyways just months to 1 year from now.
    OR
    you would be able to fix your broken device for $200 anyways too.

All in all get a protective case.
    I actually never dropped my 9900, my Q10 I dropped it once, well, I didn't really drop it, something caught on my holster and it fell out, didn't damage it though, small chip on the top left edge of the screen, so doesn't affect the actual "active" part of the screen.

I think you need to change your condescending tone quite a bit. It's personal preference whether someone should get a case or not. You want a case because you drop your phone often, that's fine, I'm happy for you. Me personally, a lot of work has gone into the construction of this phone. You are meant to feel the rubberized glass weave back, the stainless steel frets, and the steel frame. Putting a huge case on it in my opinion is like people who leave the plastic film on LCD preview screens of their digital cameras. Sure it'll protect it from scratches and what-not, but for what? You'll never ever get to actually experience the device fully for what it was. Basically you're just protecting it for the sake of reselling it after. I personally would rather experience my phone in all of its glory. If one day the screen does break, it's alright, ebay has it for $40. So, maybe I just spent twice as much as you did for a case, but at least all of this time I've been able to use the phone the way it was engineered to be used. It's not bulky, doesn't feel like a children's toy, no weird edges around the screen or keyboard, no trouble clicking the volume and play/pause button or the power on/off button, and get to feel the premium materials the phone is made of every time I use it.

And most cases would not protect your phone if it's dropped in water or heck, let's just go all out and say run over by a car. Insurance actually covers it no matter what...

Personal preference, you like it that way, I like it this way. What a concept. lol
    03-10-14 11:40 PM
    Okay, I did not mean to sound condescending; it is just that I have been around in these forums long enough to see these threads popping up weekly; and I always feel bad for them.

But yeah, BB phones are quite well designed for naked use and grippy too.

I actually found other phones such as an Iphone or my past Nokia N8 way too slippery to use naked, and the extra thickness from a case helps with the gripping as well.
    03-11-14 12:11 AM
56 123